Recommend British or Scandinavian Crime Dramas - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 Old 11-17-2017, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
itallushrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Recommend British or Scandinavian Crime Dramas

First of all I'm not sure if this is the correct location for this thread...if not of course admins please relocate and my apologies.

Over the last 5 or 6 years I've really taking a serious interest in overseas crime dramas and they comprise the majority of my viewing. I've watched most everything I can find such as The Killing (original), The Fall, Broadchurch, Trapped, Follow the Money season 1, Apple Tree Yard, Shetland, etc, etc ....

I've seemingly ran out of series to investigate.... Does anyone else share a love of the overseas "take" on crime dramas and have a favorite or 3 they can mention and if so where you've found the content.

thanks!
itallushrt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 48 Old 11-17-2017, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
replayrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NY- The tax State
Posts: 6,676
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked: 1902
I guess you've run through "Life on Mars" and "Ashes to Ashes"?

"we're still here!" "no days off" "yada, yada yada..."
replayrob is offline  
post #3 of 48 Old 11-17-2017, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 11,413
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Dicte, a Danish crime drama that was well liked in my household, we watched it on Netflix.
Bordertown, a Finish crime drama, also liked and on Netflix.
Hinterland, a Welch?? crime drama also on Netflix and well liked.
Wallander, British on NF.
Happy Valley, British on NF.
Witnesses French on NF.

We also like foreign(mostly European) crime dramas
AVfile likes this.
jjeff is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 48 Old 11-17-2017, 08:03 PM
Senior Member
 
jebbbz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 35th and Bell, Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I found the selection at MHz Choice quite inviting. I've watched and enjoyed French shows like Spiral (my favorite), Braquo and Antigone 34 and Scandinavian ones like Look of a Killer, Torpedo and Force. For somewhat lighter fare check out Homicide Unit: Istanbul, in German with subtitles, with a star who looks like he would be a Roger Moore version of James Bond with a sidekick who made me think of a sour, neurotic Peewee Herman.

Acorn TV has British shows I have enjoyed, too, like Loch Ness and Single Handed.

Both are available directly or as channels via Amazon Prime.
pkeegan likes this.
jebbbz is offline  
post #5 of 48 Old 11-17-2017, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 21,925
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3978 Post(s)
Liked: 3245
The Bridge ( Bron l Broen) Don't bother with The Tunnel.

Foyle's War
rdgrimes is offline  
post #6 of 48 Old 11-17-2017, 09:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AVfile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 2,586
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Wallander, Swedish and British


Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

"This one goes to eleven." Martin Logan Descent-i subwoofer
AVfile is offline  
post #7 of 48 Old 11-18-2017, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 11,413
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked: 346
I agree with the suggestion of AcornTV. While I don't have it a Brit friend does and is always telling me about the many great British programmes available. When I last looked it was only $5/month and if I were looking for more British programming than Netflix or PBS I'd probably sign up.
jjeff is offline  
post #8 of 48 Old 11-18-2017, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lobosrul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,431
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Inspector Morse, its sequel Lewis, and even better the prequel Endeavour. Kinda must watch, although Morse doesn't get great until about the 4th season.

Haven't seen Lilyhammer (Netflix) mentioned. Good if you want a laugh. Also Fortitude (on Amazon).
lobosrul is offline  
post #9 of 48 Old 11-18-2017, 10:24 AM
Senior Member
 
jebbbz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 35th and Bell, Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Me, again. If the OP is willing to go as far from Scandinavia as Romania there are Umbre (Hulu) and Comrade Detective (Netflix), although it helps to know that the latter is a US parody of what a Communist-era buddy cop series would have been like. For more leads and reviews, check out:

netflixtvshowsreview.com (more than Netflix, actually)

theeurotvplace.com

thebritishtvplace.com

britbox.com

and Walter Presents (channel4.com/collection/walter-presents)

(Post-post edit: If you have not watched the Luther (PBS and Hulu, I think) series I recommend it highly.)

(Post-post edit 2: If Australia appeals to you I recommend the Underbelly series. For free stuff, including at least some of the Underbelly shows, check out Tubi TV.)

Last edited by jebbbz; 11-18-2017 at 10:32 AM.
jebbbz is offline  
post #10 of 48 Old 11-18-2017, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gomo657's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,987
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked: 859
Recommend British or Scandinavian Crime Dramas

I agree with the above suggestions I just finished The Five (UK), also Paranoid (UK) also Sniffer (Russia/Ukraine). The one thing I like about Netflix vs Amazon is once you start watching the offerings from Europe the new listings will appear in your recommendations.
Oops I forgot Jack Taylor.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
gomo657 is online now  
post #11 of 48 Old 11-18-2017, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 34,496
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4216 Post(s)
Liked: 3920
How's the picture quality on Acorn TV? I've used Walter Presents and it's usually very good but I've not used Acorn yet. My access would be through Amazon Channels.
Keenan is online now  
post #12 of 48 Old 11-18-2017, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
itallushrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Wow thank you all for the recommendations! Looks like Ive got some work to do.

Glad to see a lot are available on NF and Amazon.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited by itallushrt; 11-18-2017 at 01:18 PM.
itallushrt is offline  
post #13 of 48 Old 11-18-2017, 12:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 199
I find the PQ on Acorn TV to be very good.

I thought Broadchurch season one was one of the best series I've ever seen.

I highly recommend:
"Remember Me" with Michael Palin
"Chasing Shadows"
"Winter"
"The Level"

On the lighter, fun and entertaining side:
"Kingdom" with Stephen Fry
"Agatha Raisin"
Keenan likes this.
Plager8 is offline  
post #14 of 48 Old 11-18-2017, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 11,413
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plager8 View Post
I find the PQ on Acorn TV to be very good.

On the lighter, fun and entertaining side:

"Agatha Raisin"
I also like Agatha Raisin(British) and like Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries(Australian) which I mainly watch for the female leads(and picture quality) easy on the eyes
Glad you like the PQ on Acorn, it's amazing the PQ on Netflix, often better than even OTA HD, streaming sure seems the way to go!
Plager8 likes this.
jjeff is offline  
post #15 of 48 Old 11-19-2017, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Brian Conrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Martinez, CA, USA
Posts: 8,327
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2446 Post(s)
Liked: 2083
I've been noticing a dearth of licensing of UK and EU dramas on either Netflix or Hulu. Both of those used to get foreign shows regularly. And I don't think Acorn got dibs on the UK ones. Netflix did just add "People Just Do Nothing" fourth season, a comedy which won't be for everybody but it's about a bunch of crazy young folks trying to run a pirate FM station in the age of podcasting ("why bother" you ask). But still waiting for more crime dramas.
Brian Conrad is online now  
post #16 of 48 Old 11-19-2017, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 34,496
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4216 Post(s)
Liked: 3920
I watched the first two episodes of Rebecka Martinsson and while the picture detail was very good, left and right panning had some judder. I suspect it was due to being transferred from a 50 Hz original. I was hoping for somewhat better quality than that. It didn't detract from the story though, I enjoyed the first story and will watch the rest.
Keenan is online now  
post #17 of 48 Old 11-19-2017, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 34,496
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4216 Post(s)
Liked: 3920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I've been noticing a dearth of licensing of UK and EU dramas on either Netflix or Hulu. Both of those used to get foreign shows regularly. And I don't think Acorn got dibs on the UK ones. Netflix did just add "People Just Do Nothing" fourth season, a comedy which won't be for everybody but it's about a bunch of crazy young folks trying to run a pirate FM station in the age of podcasting ("why bother" you ask). But still waiting for more crime dramas.
If you look through this page you can see how scattered the rights are for UK and EU shows, almost no rhyme or reason as to who has what. Content from different countries is spread all over the various services, if you want to see most or all of the available content from France, for example, you'll have to subscribe to several different services, very annoying.
Keenan is online now  
post #18 of 48 Old 11-19-2017, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gomo657's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,987
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I watched the first two episodes of Rebecka Martinsson and while the picture detail was very good, left and right panning had some judder. I suspect it was due to being transferred from a 50 Hz original. I was hoping for somewhat better quality than that. It didn't detract from the story though, I enjoyed the first story and will watch the rest.


I know some will balk at the thought but the current Apple TV plays 50hz content at the correct frame rate.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
gomo657 is online now  
post #19 of 48 Old 11-19-2017, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 34,496
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4216 Post(s)
Liked: 3920
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomo657 View Post
I know some will balk at the thought but the current Apple TV plays 50hz content at the correct frame rate.
So does the equipment I'm using which makes me think the actual transfer is faulty. I've seen this several times with MHz DVD releases of UK/EU content, simply very poor transfers. And amazingly they charge an arm and a leg for them too!
Keenan is online now  
post #20 of 48 Old 01-06-2018, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
LastButNotLeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 08077
Posts: 10,413
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2715 Post(s)
Liked: 2357
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
Inspector Morse, its sequel Lewis, and even better the prequel Endeavour. Kinda must watch, although Morse doesn't get great until about the 4th season.
Thank you for the excellent suggestion. We had watched "Lewis" but didn't know about "Endeavour." Enjoying it very much on disc from Netflix.
Michael
LastButNotLeast is offline  
post #21 of 48 Old 01-07-2018, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RoyGBiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Pawtucket, RI
Posts: 1,838
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
I also like Agatha Raisin(British) and like Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries(Australian) which I mainly watch for the female leads(and picture quality) easy on the eyes
Glad you like the PQ on Acorn!
An old thread, but I hope someone here can help with a problem. I watch AcornTV via my Amazon FireTV. I watched several episodes of Morse (which I think now isn't even available there any longer) and then Foyle's War. I use subtitles for all shows these days, especially British ones, and over the course of these 90 to 100 min shows the subtitles start lagging behind the dialog. By the end of the show they may be 5 to even 10 seconds behind which makes the show essentially unwatchable. I thought at first it might have had something to do with pausing, fast forwarding, or rewinding causing the picture/sub to get out of synch. That is clearly not the problem as watching something straight through causes the same lag. I suspect it has something to do with the conversion from 50 hz to 60 hz, though I don't know that for sure. Corresponding with AcornTV has been worthless. No one else seems to see this as an issue, and no one else has been able to point me in the direction of a fix. If it is not fixable, I think I will cancel Acorn even though I like British TV.

SMK
RoyGBiv is offline  
post #22 of 48 Old 01-07-2018, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
PannyMann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 820
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by itallushrt View Post
First of all I'm not sure if this is the correct location for this thread...if not of course admins please relocate and my apologies.

Over the last 5 or 6 years I've really taking a serious interest in overseas crime dramas and they comprise the majority of my viewing. I've watched most everything I can find such as The Killing (original), The Fall, Broadchurch, Trapped, Follow the Money season 1, Apple Tree Yard, Shetland, etc, etc ....

I've seemingly ran out of series to investigate.... Does anyone else share a love of the overseas "take" on crime dramas and have a favorite or 3 they can mention and if so where you've found the content.

thanks!
"Luther" British BBC. One of the best crime solving thrillers I've ever watched. Domestic or otherwise.

Netflix.

I think, therefore I am single.
PannyMann is offline  
post #23 of 48 Old 01-09-2018, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gary McCoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: San Jose, California, USA
Posts: 6,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 165
My pick would be the Danish police drama Unit 1 (2000-2004). It is about a mobile supplementary police unit for major cases. It happens to have the actor Mads Mikkelsen, who would go on to fame in Hannibal in the title role.

One of the reasons I liked it was that it was open captioned in English when PBS broadcast it. I found that I could read the dialogue at the slowest fast forward speed on the Tivo DVR, so I did so and saved some time. It was a glimpse into another culture as well.
pkeegan likes this.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

Gary McCoy is offline  
post #24 of 48 Old 01-09-2018, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
mrvideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 8,475
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1302 Post(s)
Liked: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
I suspect it has something to do with the conversion from 50 hz to 60 hz, though I don't know that for sure.
The frame rate conversion from 25fps to 29.97fps shouldn't have anything to so with it. Subtitles are normally based upon time and that won't change. If it is based upon a frame number, then that should be taken care of automatically by the professional gear that is used to do the conversion. Otherwise the people doing the conversion would notice the difference. Plus, if it were based upon frame numbers, the subtitles would appear sooner, not later.

Try this using different gear, i.e. at a friend's place.

"VCR was in the closet. Still works. Can't get the clock to stop blinking, though."
Angela - Animal Kingdom - 7/16/19
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
mrvideo is offline  
post #25 of 48 Old 01-10-2018, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
daryl zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 4,736
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1594 Post(s)
Liked: 1885
Quote:
Originally Posted by PannyMann View Post
"Luther" British BBC. One of the best crime solving thrillers I've ever watched. Domestic or otherwise.

Netflix.
I second that one.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
daryl zero is offline  
post #26 of 48 Old 01-11-2018, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RoyGBiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Pawtucket, RI
Posts: 1,838
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
The frame rate conversion from 25fps to 29.97fps shouldn't have anything to so with it. Subtitles are normally based upon time and that won't change. If it is based upon a frame number, then that should be taken care of automatically by the professional gear that is used to do the conversion. Otherwise the people doing the conversion would notice the difference. Plus, if it were based upon frame numbers, the subtitles would appear sooner, not later.

Try this using different gear, i.e. at a friend's place.
I appreciate your input. What was interesting with Morse was that if I watched on the Acorn app on the FireTV, it would have a problem. If watched directly from the Amazon Prime account (which sometimes Prime lets you do and sometimes doesn't) even though it is listed as "watch on Acorn," there would be no issues. so, I deleted the Acorn app thinking I would watch everything just using the FireTV. Then Morse was taken off Acorn and I can't check it now. Foyle's War though whether watching on Acorn or directly through FireTV always had subtitle timing issues. I do have a "smart TV" that has Amazon on the TV, and I can try watching through there.

Thanks for the info.

SMK
RoyGBiv is offline  
post #27 of 48 Old 01-11-2018, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
PannyMann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 820
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
I second that one.
No doubt great storytelling, great casting, great cinematography, and REALLY great acting.

One of the best "twisted criminal of the week" series ever produced. And there's talk of
bringing it to the big screen. Can't wait if that's true. Bro, I want to see more of Alice.

I think, therefore I am single.
PannyMann is offline  
post #28 of 48 Old 01-11-2018, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
Muphasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 637
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 220
My wife loves "Death in Paradise", or is it "Murder in Paradise"? Think "Murder She Wrote" but in the Caribbean and with English and Caribbean actors. Pretty light and fun for a show dealing with a murder each episode.

Darker side she watches "Shetland". She can only take small doses because she thinks it is too dark. I've never watched it.
Jonas2 likes this.

Vinyl, tape, digital... I don't care as long as I can listen to my music...
Muphasta is offline  
post #29 of 48 Old 01-11-2018, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lobosrul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,431
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
I appreciate your input. What was interesting with Morse was that if I watched on the Acorn app on the FireTV, it would have a problem. If watched directly from the Amazon Prime account (which sometimes Prime lets you do and sometimes doesn't) even though it is listed as "watch on Acorn," there would be no issues. so, I deleted the Acorn app thinking I would watch everything just using the FireTV. Then Morse was taken off Acorn and I can't check it now. Foyle's War though whether watching on Acorn or directly through FireTV always had subtitle timing issues. I do have a "smart TV" that has Amazon on the TV, and I can try watching through there.

Thanks for the info.

SMK
Acorn App and the Acorn channel on Amazon are two different things. If you have a subscription to one, the login does not work for the other. I find the PQ on Amazon to be quite a bit better so I go that way. The problem is they simply don't list every program available on the app as on the Amazon channel. However you can always bring it up by searching for it. Morse is now on BritBox, same situation, there is an app AND an Amazon channel. To further confuse matters there is quite a lot of foreign TV on Amazon that doesn't require a subchannel subscription.

BTW I have no trouble with subtitle synch, seems to be a problem with whatever device you are using. Although I do have about 300ms of audio lag on Amazon thru my Shield TV, which is weird because there is none on other apps.

Last edited by lobosrul; 01-11-2018 at 10:37 AM.
lobosrul is offline  
post #30 of 48 Old 01-11-2018, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RoyGBiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Pawtucket, RI
Posts: 1,838
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I know that the app and Amazon don't always jive. I uninstalled the app because it seemed to be part of the problem.

It is interesting to hear Britbox has Morse. I wasn't aware of that, but I was also unaware there was an app for Britbox through FireTV. The last time I checked there wasn't.

SMK
RoyGBiv is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Programming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off