Dark- Netflix original series - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 128Likes

post #1 of 209 Old 12-01-2017, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked: 3823
Dark- Netflix original series

this looks like a very interesting series...debuted on Netflix on December 1st...almost every review I've read compares this to Stranger Things with a bit of Twin Peaks thrown in...the 10-episode thriller follows four families in a German town as the disappearance of two young children exposes fractured relationships and double lives, and a supernatural mystery that ties back to the same town in 1986...the tagline of the series plays with the concept of time- The question is not who has kidnapped the children...but when

the series sits somewhere between an American drama and a Scandinavian noir in terms of tone, taking the familiar structure of big budget US thriller and imbuing it with the cold, almost sterile chilliness of a crime drama set in a dense, European forest...cinematography also sounds excellent...the series was made in Germany and has English subtitles so that might turn some people off...but I think it sounds fantastic and am looking forward to binge watching it

kyzer soze and unretarded like this.

Last edited by TitusTroy; 05-27-2019 at 02:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 209 Old 12-01-2017, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 1841
Let me know what you think

8hz ULF TR for the masses and the Cashless. Like a BOSS

If you can't stand behind our troops stand in front of them
post #3 of 209 Old 12-01-2017, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 356
This looks really good

Ascend Sierra 2's (LCR & side surrounds) + Pioneer atmos modules. 5.1.4 setup
Marantz AV7703
Rythmik FV15HP
JVC DLA-X590R (RS 440) projector
Stewart StudioTek 130 screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 209 Old 12-01-2017, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

here are some reviews...

Netflix’s Dark is hard to watch, and impossible to stop watching

The service’s first original German series echoes David Lynch and David Fincher, but finds its own queasy, compelling ground...

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/1/1...reaming-series

Dark review– a classy, knotty, time-travelling whodunnit for TV

If you enjoyed Stranger Things but are actually an adult, then you’ll want to watch Dark, a sophisticated, grown-up, German-language thriller that revels in its own distinct and foreboding vibe...

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...odunnit-for-tv
post #5 of 209 Old 12-02-2017, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2313 Post(s)
Liked: 1798
Good enough that I got hooked and watched the first four episodes last night. Sometimes I feel that US showrunners need to be tied down and shown how foreign TV productions are better than US (which seem to focus more of poshness than story) at a fraction of US budgets. This series is more like some of the excellent Scandinavian mystery and crime series I've seen in the past.
TitusTroy likes this.
post #6 of 209 Old 12-02-2017, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 165
For me it has auto engaged dubbed English 5.1. I've heard worse dubbing. One can also pick German 5.1, though I'm not sure what's worse; The imperfections of dubbed dialog, or listening to almost 10 hours of German while reading the subs!

I'm on episode 3. A well crafted atmospherically dank, slow burn so far. Under it all, it also has a nice mood setting music score as well.
TitusTroy likes this.
post #7 of 209 Old 12-02-2017, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I can see why the called Stranger Things like E.T., there are some comparisons but nothing that ruins it. This is definitely a nc 17 show

Also agree the dubbing is good enough to not use subtitles. First couple episodes I was like meh, but by end of third I was into it. The end of 5th episode blew my mind.

This show is PHENOMENAL, its a must watch if you like whacked out stories. Extremely well written, twisted and mind bending. Im on ep 9, great show

As always YMMV but man I cant see this not being universally received, start binging folks
jsgrise and TitusTroy like this.

post #8 of 209 Old 12-03-2017, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I watched the first 5 episodes and this show is absolutely phenomenal...5 stars, 10/10...everything from the story, writing, acting are first rate...the cinematography is amazing, not in a flashy way but they really nailed the atmosphere as far as the forest etc...the ominous nuclear power plant reactors with their billowing smoke in the background is also a beautiful shot...the music is excellent...even the opening credits are well done...I agree with Gorilla Killa that the end of Episode 5 was a mind blowing scene...this show is so well written and they don't back down from going full sci-fi...everyone who appreciates a smart, well written, mind twisty show should be watching this
post #9 of 209 Old 12-03-2017, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
I watched the first 5 episodes and this show is absolutely phenomenal...5 stars, 10/10...everything from the story, writing, acting are first rate...the cinematography is amazing, not in a flashy way but they really nailed the atmosphere as far as the forest etc...the ominous nuclear power plant reactors with their billowing smoke in the background is also a beautiful shot...the music is excellent...even the opening credits are well done...I agree with Gorilla Killa that the end of Episode 5 was a mind blowing scene...this show is so well written and they don't back down from going full sci-fi...everyone who appreciates a smart, well written, mind twisty show should be watching this

It gets so much better after ep 5 if you can believe that, I havent enjoyed anything so much since Breaking Bad. I finished it last night, sad in some regards since I want MOAR lol. Easily get a few more seasons out of it.

Thanks for pointing this out @TitusTroy , I would have never bothered and that would have been a shame.

Easily the most fun I have had watching a tv show. Im a huge fan of Stranger Things, love the whole 80's campy feel and the characters. I would say it doesnt hold a candle to this show but they really arent similar except for a few things, and it wouldnt be fair to ST. In reality that show doesnt have shiite on Dark, but its apples to oranges

Hope it gets picked up for another season

Id like to add this show has enough going on that if your multitasking and watching you'll miss some things and get kinda lost. I tried twice and had to rewind lol. It does a lot of bouncing around, 33 years at a clip

Last edited by Gorilla Killa; 12-03-2017 at 10:11 AM.
post #10 of 209 Old 12-03-2017, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
It gets so much better after ep 5 if you can believe that, I havent enjoyed anything so much since Breaking Bad. I finished it last night, sad in some regards since I want MOAR lol. Easily get a few more seasons out of it.

Thanks for pointing this out @TitusTroy, I would have never bothered and that would have been a shame.

Easily the most fun I have had watching a tv show. Im a huge fan of Stranger Things, love the whole 80's campy feel and the characters. I would say it doesnt hold a candle to this show but they really arent similar except for a few things, and it wouldnt be fair to ST. In reality that show dossnt have shiite on Dark, but its apples to oranges

Hope it gets picked up for another season

Id like to add this show has enough going on that if your multitasking and watching you'll miss some things and get kinda lost. I tried twice and had to rewind lol. It does a lot of bouncing around, 33 years at a clip

over on the Netflix page the user reviews are overall excellent but there are a group of people who posted negative reviews because they can't get past the English dubbing...it wasn't too big of a deal to me...yes it can be distracting if you're looking for something to be annoyed about but overall it didn't diminish my enthusiasm for the show...plus you can always change the language to German and use English subtitles
post #11 of 209 Old 12-03-2017, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I found if I didnt try to read lips its not a problem, I looked at the other character's reaction and found it a non issue.

Certainly I would have preferred it was in english but it was well acted and if some cant appreciate the show even with that small thing then it sucks for them.

post #12 of 209 Old 12-03-2017, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post

this is definitely a show that requires maximum concentration...keeping track of who the characters are, how they're related to each other, who they are in the past, who they become in the future etc...and that's not even including all the time travel twistiness...I had to pause or rewind multiple times during certain scenes to make sure I understood exactly what was going on...this show has pretty much no filler...every scene is important to the story...as is the norm with these Scandinavian type of mystery shows the hardest thing for me is remembering the character names...I usually just remember them as police chief, police chiefs husband, missing boy's father etc
Gorilla Killa likes this.
post #13 of 209 Old 12-03-2017, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Noah is awesome as a villian, has that look.

Spoiler!

post #14 of 209 Old 12-03-2017, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My trick to subtitles is that I trained my eyes to just focus on them at exclusion of the what was going on in the rest of the screen. Your eyes soon become accustom to seeing both. Prefer original language dialog since it supports the acting better but then I've been watching foreign subtitled film since the 1960s.

I have just the last two episodes yet to watch tonight and yes this has been one of the best TV series I've seen in a long time.
sneals2000 and Gorilla Killa like this.
post #15 of 209 Old 12-03-2017, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I still have 3 episodes left to watch but one thing that's confusing...

Spoiler!
post #16 of 209 Old 12-03-2017, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I still have 3 episodes left to watch but one thing that's confusing...

Spoiler!

Spoiler!
TitusTroy likes this.

post #17 of 209 Old 12-03-2017, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked: 3509
I'm just starting Ep4 and I need a reminder,

Spoiler!

My memory must be going and I don't want to have to go back an rewatch everything.
post #18 of 209 Old 12-03-2017, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I'm just starting Ep4 and I need a reminder,

Spoiler!

My memory must be going and I don't want to have to go back an rewatch everything.

I don't think he's a major character...he's just the cop with the eye patch...I was like you when I first saw him I thought he was one of the major characters and I was trying to figure out who he was...he looked a bit like Ulrich (the father who's child went missing)...keeping track of who's who is more complicated then the time travel twists on this show...even by Episode 8 most of the character names are a jumble in my mind

Spoiler!

Last edited by TitusTroy; 12-03-2017 at 09:30 PM.
post #19 of 209 Old 12-03-2017, 09:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6877 Post(s)
Liked: 15468
Will add this to my watch list.
Keenan likes this.

post #20 of 209 Old 12-03-2017, 11:17 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
I don't think he's a major character...he's just the cop with the eye patch...I was like you when I first saw him I thought he was one of the major characters and I was trying to figure out who he was...he looked a bit like Ulrich (the father who's child went missing)...keeping track of who's who is more complicated then the time travel twists on this show...even by Episode 8 most of the character names are a jumble in my mind

Spoiler!
Yes, I finished off 5 and 6 tonight and it seems
Spoiler!
is not important. It is tough to keep who's who straight but I think I have it right with about an 85%-90% degree of accuracy!
post #21 of 209 Old 12-04-2017, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Yes, I finished off 5 and 6 tonight and it seems
Spoiler!
is not important. It is tough to keep who's who straight but I think I have it right with about an 85%-90% degree of accuracy!

what do you think of the series thus far?...I have 2 episodes remaining and I don't want it to end...so, so good...one of the best implementations of time travel I've ever seen...
Gorilla Killa likes this.
post #22 of 209 Old 12-04-2017, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Bravo!!! I finished it last night. It is now my top sci-fi series for the 21st century replacing the UK's "Utopia" which was number 1!

Spoiler!
post #23 of 209 Old 12-04-2017, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
what do you think of the series thus far?...I have 2 episodes remaining and I don't want it to end...so, so good...one of the best implementations of time travel I've ever seen...
I'm really liking it, intelligent sci-fi drama. I have 4 episodes left and I'm trying to arrange it so I can watch them all in one sitting. And yes, I know the feeling, when you come across a show of this quality you never want it to end!
post #24 of 209 Old 12-04-2017, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't know why Netflix chose to default the language to dubbed English in the USA instead of releasing it in German with English subtitles like most other foreign TV shows (Trapped etc)...the only issue I have with the English dub is that some of the voices of the actors don't seem to match the characters...meaning sometimes the voices sound a bit older or younger...with Ulrich it seems his voice should be more gruff or coarse...
post #25 of 209 Old 12-04-2017, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
I don't know why Netflix chose to default the language to dubbed English in the USA instead of releasing it in German with English subtitles like most other foreign TV shows (Trapped etc)...the only issue I have with the English dub is that some of the voices of the actors don't seem to match the characters...meaning sometimes the voices sound a bit older or younger...with Ulrich it seems his voice should be more gruff or coarse...
I think I saw that happen with Suburra, I almost stopped watching it until I checked and found there was Italian audio with English subs available. I can't watch dubbed content, it's just too distracting. I've watched so much foreign subtitled content that I don't even really notice it anymore, it just comes naturally to me now. And as Brian has noted, native audio along with emotional delivery can make a big difference in the perceived quality of the content you're watching, you lose a lot of that with dubbed dialog.

For Dark, I think I checked the audio playback before watching due to a comment here about the dubbing so I'm not sure if it was defaulted to dubbed or not.
sneals2000 likes this.
post #26 of 209 Old 12-04-2017, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

one thing I noticed with the dubbed English audio is that if you turn on the subtitles they are wildly different...words are missing or changed and entire dialogue is different...very strange
post #27 of 209 Old 12-04-2017, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Dont read unless you finished

Spoiler!
Jim Kiler likes this.

post #28 of 209 Old 12-04-2017, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 356
I just finished episode 5 and i'm already bummed I'm half way through this series. This show is incredible!!!! Breaking Bad, Mr Robot, Game of Thrones and now Dark we are living in the greatest era of television.
TitusTroy and Gorilla Killa like this.

Ascend Sierra 2's (LCR & side surrounds) + Pioneer atmos modules. 5.1.4 setup
Marantz AV7703
Rythmik FV15HP
JVC DLA-X590R (RS 440) projector
Stewart StudioTek 130 screen
post #29 of 209 Old 12-04-2017, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Bravo!!! I finished it last night. It is now my top sci-fi series for the 21st century replacing the UK's "Utopia" which was number 1!

Spoiler!
That's hefty praise! Utopia is at or very near the top of my list as well. Still hoping for that HBO reimagining...

(Off topic thread-wise, but one of my favorite sci-fi novels is coming to Netflix, Altered Carbon)
post #30 of 209 Old 12-04-2017, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Wow just finished Ep7 Best Tv show of the year.I started watching it with English dub and then switched to German .This show is up there along with LOST, Breaking bad and The Wire.
Good job,Netflix.
TitusTroy likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page