The Marvelous Mrs Maisel on Amazon - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 46Likes

post #31 of 67 Old 09-18-2018, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1568 Post(s)
Liked: 1477
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
I think Bosch is still the best of the Prime lot, but this is surely a close second.
I still need to check Bosch out. Thanks for the reminder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 67 Old 09-18-2018, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 4434 Post(s)
Liked: 5763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
I still need to check Bosch out. Thanks for the reminder.
Do it! Also read some of Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch books. Harry is one of a kind. He is a hardbitten guy who is often hard to like but he is never less than interesting. I have been a Harry Bosch fan ever since I first got onto Connelly's books in the '90s. Needless to say, I have loved the Bosch TV series too.
Zookster and Randy Bessinger like this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #33 of 67 Old 09-19-2018, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
Quote:
Quite the marvelous night for Mrs. Maisel: 5 Emmy wins, including for best comedy, best lead actress, best supporting actress, and best writer and best director nods for one of the showrunners.

If you're in the Amazon Prime app anyway watching Jack Ryan, you might as well finally check this out. It's simply (and still) the best Prime Original right now.
I guess different strokes for different folks. I liked the Man in the High Castle. Season 3 begins Oct. 5.
Zookster likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 67 Old 09-19-2018, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpillar View Post
I guess different strokes for different folks. I liked the Man in the High Castle. Season 3 begins Oct. 5.
That's why I qualified it with "right now." There hasn't been a new season of TMITHC in almost two years. I reserve the right to change my assertion after Oct. 5.
post #35 of 67 Old 10-24-2018, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4202 Post(s)
Liked: 3757
Season 2- Official Trailer

premieres December 5, 2018...

post #36 of 67 Old 10-24-2018, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Season 2- Official Trailer

premieres December 5, 2018...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76bH1b9XreE
This is one of my most anticipated shows on a streaming service this year. I love how it comes out around the holidays—a perfect time to gather around the set when most network shows are on hiatus and enjoy a good laugh with one's SO, adult family members, and friends.
post #37 of 67 Old 10-24-2018, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is one of my most anticipated shows on a streaming service this year. I love how it comes out around the holidays—a perfect time to gather around the set when most network shows are on hiatus and enjoy a good laugh with one's SO, adult family members, and friends.
yup this seems like a Winter show to me...December is the perfect time for new episodes of Mrs Maisel and Black Mirror
post #38 of 67 Old 11-26-2018, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel season 2: EW review

Grade: A-

Marvelous Mrs. Maisel remains one of the most gorgeous shows on any screen...Costume designer Donna Zakowska serves up an onslaught of sartorial elegance...One benefit of this season’s leisurely pace is it allows us more time with the stellar ensemble...

https://ew.com/tv-reviews/2018/11/26...ason-2-review/

‘The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel’ Review: Season 2 Is Even Better Than Before

Grade: A-

Sherman-Palladino may not have all corners covered, but what’s actually on the table is impossible to resist. Brosnahan, fresh off her Emmy and Golden Globe wins, zips through each scene with command that should be impossible at such breakneck speeds. The costumes are outstanding and the blocking, framing, and movement all divine. Each episode evokes that rare, warm glow brought about by entertainment that’s as finely tuned as it is thematically empowering. Sherman-Palladino didn’t just solve the Season 2 slump; she reversed it. “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” is even better than it was, even when you stop to consider its flaws...

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/11/ma...on-1202023110/

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel season 2 premieres Wednesday, Dec. 5th on Amazon Prime
post #39 of 67 Old 11-26-2018, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
‘The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel’ Review: Season 2 Is Even Better Than Before
What? There has been no season 2 before

post #40 of 67 Old 11-27-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamian View Post
Correct. Prime will put up Season 2 of the show on December 5. It has already been renewed for Season 3.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #41 of 67 Old 11-28-2018, 04:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamian View Post
post #42 of 67 Old 12-04-2018, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked: 2973
Season 2 is up now.
post #43 of 67 Old 12-05-2018, 05:46 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1864 Post(s)
Liked: 2191
All hail Season Two of Amazon Prime's The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
By Ed Bark, UncleBarky.com - Dec. 4, 2018

Eagerly awaited. Most anticipated. Still the best.

All of the above hyperbole actually holds true with Amazon Prime’s The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, which took a big Emmy shower in mid-September and at last is nearly back for a longer Season Two. Ten new episodes are ready to roll on Wednesday, Dec. 5th, with a Season Three already on order. As holiday season gifts go, nothing could be much finer. OK, a brand new car maybe.

Amazon made the first five episodes available for review, with the usual list of taboo “spoilers” attached. Not to spoil anything, but you might as well pencil in stars Rachel Brosnahan and Alex Borstein for return visits to the Emmy podium next year. They’re still that good in a comedy/drama series that remains peppy, snappy, musically magnificent and bursting with living colors.

Visually speaking, Mrs. Maisel oftentimes steals one’s breath away with its vibrant palettes, whether the settings are New York City, Paris or the Catskills. Yes, Paris. C’est la vie -- without much further elaboration in the interests of keeping viewers guessing on why most of the principals end up there in early episodes.

Mrs. Maisel’s architect, eccentrically irrepressible Amy Sherman-Palladino, had been best known for Gilmore Girls and to a much lesser degree, Bunheads. But this is her masterwork, and she’s already been rewarded for it by being the first woman to win comedy writing and directing Emmys for the same show at the same ceremony. Clearly she’s having a grand time with this late 1950s tale of a Jewish housewife turned struggling standup comic after her husband got horizontal with another woman.

Brosnahan, as Miriam “Midge” Maisel, remains superb in the role, whether running a switchboard, sparring with her parents or sparkling onstage with a rapid-fire ribald act that Sherman-Palladino says is patterned after Joan Rivers’ early efforts to break down gender barriers. Borstein, who broke into the biz as a rep player on Fox’s late night Madtv series, is her indispensable foil as profane Susie Myerson. They met in Season One at The Gaslight Cafe, where Susie tended bar while hoping to someday become a talent manager. Miriam is her would-be meal ticket, but first they’ll have to actually get some gainful gigs. Lenny Bruce (Luke Kirby) is still around to help grease some skids.

Last season ended with Miriam and her estranged husband, Joel (Michael Zegen), in the throes of possibly getting back together again. But then he witnessed her “act,” which gets laughs at the expense of their previously failed marriage. The guy looked more downtrodden than a New York Jets fan.

Miriam’s well-to-do parents, Abe and Rose Weissman (Tony Shalhoub, Marin Hinkle), remain unaware that their daughter is dabbling in a profession of such ill repute. Joel’s mom and pop, Shirley and Moishe Maisel (Caroline Aaron, Kevin Pollack) likewise are very much in the picture as Season 2 gets underway. This is particularly a career resuscitating role for Pollack, whose verbal bouts with his son are a highlight of the new season’s Episode 2.

In present times, some might see Mrs. Maisel as a little too white and privileged. There are no minority characters of note, which is glaringly evident in Episode 4, when those that can afford it head to The Catskills for an annual two-month summer retreat at the Steiner Mountain Resort. Abe and Rose Weissman are among those who very much can foot the bill, with Miriam happily joining them while poor Susie is left in Manhattan without a client. She shows up anyway, in the guise of a plunger-toting “plumber” hoping to fake her way to free room and board while angling to get Miriam some standup spots at nearby resorts.

The scenes at the Catskills are glorious, painstaking recreations, reflecting times when the Jewish experience (among those of some means) is its own form of distinct diversity. This includes some cringe-worthy moments of self-entitlement, whether it’s Moishe and Shirley arriving very loudly and self-importantly, or Miriam retorting, “Bring that, too” when she’s informed “there’s a baby in the back seat.” Almost beside the point: Miriam has two young children, but oftentimes you’d never know it.

Episode 4 also introduces Zachary Levi (former star of NBC’s Chuck) as a keep-to-himself bachelor and doctor named Benjamin. We’ll see how that goes.

Mrs. Maisel remains loaded with special moments and deft asides. A montage of Miriam’s evolving standup act makes for a terrific start to Episode 3. Later on, Abe’s affection for the Steiner resort’s signature tomato juice is close to being endearing. He remains anal (as Shalhoub was while starring in Monk), but is a case study in relaxation compared to Moishe, who bellows, “In my business (he owns a garment factory), a man sweats and stinks ’til he dies!”

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel in contrast still works like a charm.

GRADE: A

http://www.unclebarky.com/reviews_fi...2450-2435.html

post #44 of 67 Old 12-05-2018, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

While in the app last night to rewatch the final episode of last season, I saw that the new season had already dropped, and cancelled all other TV watching plans for the night to watch episode one.

It's off to a very good start, and I'm glad I rewatched the last episode from last season first, as the story line picks up pretty much where the last season ended, give or take a few days of time (I had forgotten a lot), and there are some direct references to events from it. Though the season 1 recap does a pretty decent job too.

I did find it a bit contrived, however, when ...
Spoiler!

Regardless, the great ending scene involving an overseas phone call redeemed the episode. And I loved the entire bit with Susie and the mobster muscle guys.
Ben23 likes this.
post #45 of 67 Old 12-05-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
While in the app last night to rewatch the final episode of last season, I saw that the new season had already dropped, and cancelled all other TV watching plans for the night to watch episode one.

It's off to a very good start, and I'm glad I rewatched the last episode from last season first, as the story line picks up pretty much where the last season ended, give or take a few days of time (I had forgotten a lot), and there are some direct references to events from it. Though the season 1 recap does a pretty decent job too.

I did find it a bit contrived, however, when ...
Spoiler!

Regardless, the great ending scene involving an overseas phone call redeemed the episode. And I loved the entire bit with Susie and the mobster muscle guys.
I too loved the final scene. It moved me. I even liked the earlier one you described in spoiler tags but agree with you that it required a bit more than the usual amount of suspension of disbelief. Anyway, after watching the Season 2 premiere, I am as deeply in love as ever with The Marvelous Midge.
A.Bell, Zookster and danlshane like this.

post #46 of 67 Old 12-06-2018, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Why does this show look sooo much better in 4K HDR if I bypass my AVR?

Apple TV 4K, Xbox One X, Ryzen 2700X + LG B7A, Yamaha RXA3070.

Only time it looks good using my AVR is thru the TV App, and using ARC for Audio or whatever that’s called

I don’t even need to connect the streaming devices directly to the TV to notice the difference, all I need to do is turn off the AVR and use the same connections to notice the difference (get no sound this way of course)
post #47 of 67 Old 12-06-2018, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I watched episode two last night and have a question about Joel in his father's factory ...

Spoiler!
post #48 of 67 Old 12-07-2018, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I’m half way through season 2. Not much to add, other than how much I love this show!
post #49 of 67 Old 12-07-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Bell View Post
I’m half way through season 2. Not much to add, other than how much I love this show!
I have now watched seven of Season 2's ten episodes. They have all been wonderful. The scene in Episode 7, at the Weissman's Yom Kippur dinner, was comic gold. Also in Episode 7, it was fun to see the wonderful Rufus Sewell as a crazy artist.
Garrett Adams and A.Bell like this.

post #50 of 67 Old 12-08-2018, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 1307
I've liked Rufus Sewell since the great Dark City.
post #51 of 67 Old 12-08-2018, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm through four episodes now and one of the biggest improvements I've noticed this season is Abe's character, which seems more well-rounded. Last season, he seemed like the stereotypical rigid, cranky father figure who had peculiar obsessions about things. Though played by a great actor, who did give him some heart, I found myself more annoyed by his presence than anything during season one. In season two so far, he's more a bit more playful and unpredictable and ultimately, entertaining.
post #52 of 67 Old 12-09-2018, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Season 2 was excellent! Can't wait for the next season!
A.Bell, gwsat and gprace like this.
post #53 of 67 Old 12-11-2018, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

One of the nice things about Google knowing how I spend every second of my day is getting fed a steady stream of talk show bits on YouTube involving The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel cast. Here's a particularly fun one. Rachel Brosnahan couldn't be more adorable and Alex Borstein is incredibly witty.

post #54 of 67 Old 12-12-2018, 04:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked: 2888
We finished E4 last night. The cinematography and directing are off the charts and jaw dropping. How can they not get awards for this type of work? The look and feel of a Broadway play is everywhere. The colors are vibrant which adds to the outstanding PQ. Tony Shalhoub as Abe is still one of my favorite characters, especially in E4.

"If you want to know what you think of yourself, then ask yourself what you think of others, and you will find your answer" - Seth
post #55 of 67 Old 12-12-2018, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
We finished E4 last night. The cinematography and directing are off the charts and jaw dropping. How can they not get awards for this type of work? The look and feel of a Broadway play is everywhere. The colors are vibrant which adds to the outstanding PQ. Tony Shalhoub as Abe is still one of my favorite characters, especially in E4.
Tony Shalhoub had better get an Emmy nomination for his role. He steals nearly every scene he is in, and given how good pretty much the entire cast is, thats really saying something.
A.Bell and gwsat like this.
post #56 of 67 Old 12-14-2018, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
Season 2 has been fantastic as funny and maybe funnier than Season 1. I'm still impressed at how accurate the New York cultural/Jewish references are.
Spoiler!
shivaji likes this.
post #57 of 67 Old 12-14-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
Season 2 has been fantastic as funny and maybe funnier than Season 1. I'm still impressed at how accurate the New York cultural/Jewish references are.
Spoiler!
Despite the show's focus on Jewish culture in New York in the mid and late '50s I think it is more universal than ethnicity and geography. Like Midge, I grew up in a college educated family and my wife and I got married in the mid 50s, when we were in our early 20s. For those reasons and others, the show has resonated with me from the beginning. I feel as if I know these people and I love them to death! For example, the dramatization of Midge's mother in law's Mahjong addiction made me howl with laughter. My mother and her friends played Mahjong at least twice a week in those years, so I guess OKC wasn't all that far from NYC in those years after all. There is a universality to well told stories, as this show demonstrates.

post #58 of 67 Old 12-15-2018, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 66
While I agree that there are many universal themes in this show, it doesn't hurt to be Jewish and at least know the Yiddish and what Tisha B'Av is. I went to Grossinger's many times growing up, the Concord less frequently, and I was in a rock band in the 60's and 70's, and we played at Kutsher's one winter break when I was in college. That familiarity helps.

OTOH, I have many non Jewish friends who I've convinced to watch it and all have thought it extremely funny.

I can't say that it's funnier or less funny than season 1, but I like the fact that Susie has gotten a larger role. Her being at Steiner's has been hysterical.

I've watched the first six episodes. There are many funny lines, but so far this is my favorite of the ones not part of one of Mrs. Maisel's riffs:

Spoiler!
Keenan, gwsat, Cal1981 and 1 others like this.
post #59 of 67 Old 12-15-2018, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked: 3506
^That was a great exchange!
post #60 of 67 Old 12-23-2018, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
One of the nice things about Google knowing how I spend every second of my day is getting fed a steady stream of talk show bits on YouTube involving The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel cast. Here's a particularly fun one. Rachel Brosnahan couldn't be more adorable and Alex Borstein is incredibly witty.

https://youtu.be/zFfKjYsXTmE
Although I enjoyed the interview, I couldn't help but constantly think how much better it could have been if it was done by someone besides Savannah Guthrie. OMG, did she get stock questions from Interview for Dummies? I'm surprised she didn't ask them "If you were a tree, what type of tree would you be?" She's nice enough, but what stupid questions.

LOVE the show, by the way. I just finished Season 2 last night and immediately felt sad because now I have to wait another year to get my fix again. Maybe I'll watch Season 1 again, that might be fun now after seeing 2.
DrDon likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming