Altered Carbon- Netflix original - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 243Likes

post #361 of 392 Old 03-10-2020, 10:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Finished season 2...I really wish they hadn't merged the source material....it just didn't make sense. Though, I guess you could say it came together in the end...sort of

Not really...I really don't get why they attempted to mix the narratives as they did...

Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 392 Old 03-11-2020, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2061 Post(s)
Liked: 2199
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
As mentioned, the sets looked a bit cheap and were often darkly lit and to further go in that direction, the action during the later episodes often took place either in a darkened cave or in the woods. Cant get cheaper than a cave, I imagine. Well, except for shooting in the woods perhaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
After reading all these comments, I'm tempted to just punt on S-2 of 'AC'. Sounds like Netflix mandated budget cuts that basically emasculated what was so great about S-1.

Heaven knows there's plenty of good stuff to watch these days. The era of "Peak TV" has given way to the era of "Too Much TV".
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
outside of the complaints about the budget being cut, most of the criticisms in this thread about Season 2 seem to be from book readers who feel the show has drifted too far from the source material...I'm wondering if S2 will be better appreciated by non-book readers who can enjoy it without any expectations
I'm through episode 5 (lots of scenes with caves and woods) and I have to say in all fairness regarding supposed budget cuts this season, book 2 was mostly set in remote, isolated environments on a colony world (woods, beaches, caves, dark abandoned structures, etc.). And in book 3, the Harlan's World planet is mostly water with habitable zones on clusters of islands. So Kovacs spends entire chapters on various water craft getting from point A to B. A significant portion of the first half of book 3 is set in remote wooded areas, and the last part is mainly set along beaches. When Kovac is in urban zones, he's usually on the run, hiding or looking for people in warehouses, dive bars, seedy underground places where criminals operate.

In season 2, we are seeing a lot more of Danica Harlan's bigger budget world than is described in the book. Maybe some sets "look cheap," but a lot these environments (other than the Harlan and Yakuza boss homes) aren't supposed to be clean, slick, futuristic, fine art architecture. Most of the population lives on the edges of existence in crappy, cobbled together, rundown buildings.
post #363 of 392 Old 03-16-2020, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Finally got around to finishing season 2. I now see what they were trying to do with this streamlined story and getting all the main players in the same room in the finale. It is what it is, and was mostly enjoyable once I decided to go with all the story changes from the books. I ended up liking (albeit not preferring) how the story got switched up from the books, especially how

Spoiler!

But some underlying issues remain. Chief among them is how poorly this TV series captures what makes the Kovacs character so unique and interesting and his skills so special. Passing reference is made to him being the Last Envoy and his special Envoy intuition. But I don’t think the general viewing audience is given a real sense of what that means. If I hadn’t read the books, Kovacs would just be another cookie-cutter, specially trained elite forces operative, blandly played by both Kinnaman and Mackie. To anyone who read the books a scene like the one I describe in this spoiler makes even less sense, because Kovacs’s skills (including enhanced senses and the ability to control his mind and physiological responses) go way beyond any special upgrades his current sleeve may give him.

Spoiler!

But that scene is typical of how this show plays fast and loose with the technology, as in the following examples …

Spoiler!
aaronwt, lax01 and rdclark like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 392 Old 03-19-2020, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5746 Post(s)
Liked: 5262
not directly related to Altered Carbon but I found this interesting...

Netflix will reduce video quality in Europe to avoid breaking the internet

To help alleviate the strain on infrastructure, for the next 30 days, the bitrate of Netflix streams in the EU will be cut by 25 percent...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/19/tech/...-eu/index.html
Stanton likes this.
post #365 of 392 Old 03-20-2020, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

How is Altered Carbon: Resleeved Connected to Altered Carbon on Netflix?

Altered Carbon: Resleeved hit Netflix today...Resleeved is a 74-minute-long anime feature film set in the world of Netflix’s Altered Carbon...

https://decider.com/2020/03/19/alter...ed-on-netflix/
aaronwt likes this.
post #366 of 392 Old 03-20-2020, 07:33 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 9820 Post(s)
Liked: 6490
I started watching resleeved yesterday and so far have been enjoying it. I only wish it was in HDR.

Sent from my Tab A 10.1

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #367 of 392 Old 03-20-2020, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I only wish it was in HDR
I think the only animated series on Netflix in HDR is Love, Death & Robots (1080p HDR)
Alanlee likes this.
post #368 of 392 Old 03-21-2020, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1317 Post(s)
Liked: 1344
I thought Resleeved was a decent anime. Lots of bloody sword action as well.
aaronwt likes this.
post #369 of 392 Old 03-21-2020, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The brutal gore in the fight scenes in Resleeved were closer to the books than the TV show, especially s.2.

I watched with the English audio on along with the English subtitles to the Japanese audio, apparently, and I noticed a lot of discrepancies. The English audio was more linguistically and culturally idiomatic for American audiences than the English subtitle translations to the Japanese audio.

Without looking it up, I'm pretty sure Ogai, the hotel AI, was voiced by the same actor who plays Poe in the TV series.

Outside of a couple plot holes, I overall enjoyed this interpretation of the Altered Carbon material.
aaronwt likes this.
post #370 of 392 Old 03-21-2020, 10:12 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
I think the only animated series on Netflix in HDR is Love, Death & Robots (1080p HDR)
Definitely not. I've watched other animated content from Netflix in HDR too.

post #371 of 392 Old 03-21-2020, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked: 1385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanlee View Post
Yes I substantially agree with you. Unfortunately, if we get into the nuts and bolts of your point, it will start a hailstorm of protest, and our sleeves will be wiped by the powers that be. shh- they might be listening.
Indeed! molon labe!

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

You want true diversity? Champion the diversity of thoughts!

The Hun
post #372 of 392 Old 03-21-2020, 02:33 PM

I've been contemplating to watch this season or not and it seems the prevailing wisdom is against it, still there is plenty of time in my hand as of lately so who knows....

The Hun
post #373 of 392 Old 03-21-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
not directly related to Altered Carbon but I found this interesting...

Netflix will reduce video quality in Europe to avoid breaking the internet

To help alleviate the strain on infrastructure, for the next 30 days, the bitrate of Netflix streams in the EU will be cut by 25 percent...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/19/tech/...-eu/index.html
wow that is sad and let me guess people who pay for higher bitrate won't get reimbursed right?

The Hun
post #374 of 392 Old 03-21-2020, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 354
rossz hírem van

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
Indeed! molon labe!

Exactly - molon labe! This forum similar but not the same as 20 August 1949 to 23 October 1989 your end. New subject......

There are plenty of people on this thread who have invested a lot of time reading the Altered Carbon books. I have read only the first. For me and only for me I will not be reading any more in the series or watching the videos. I was intrigued by year one, so I read the book. There is, of course, a lot more philosophy in the book than the videos.

Series two on Netflix was a bust for me, especially the last two episodes. I thought the actors did the best they could, but the material they had to work with was disjointed and nonsensical. If one is watching something and they are told "you should have read the book," well that is a sign they should not have watched the video.

Tőled függ
locomo and shivaji like this.

7.4.6.2 system with Denon 8500, Additional Amps: Emotiva (front and center), NAD (2nd set of surrounds), NAD (Top Middle, Top Surround), classic Klipsch speakers.
post #375 of 392 Old 03-21-2020, 09:36 PM

Miröl beszélsz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanlee View Post
Exactly - molon labe! This forum similar but not the same as 20 August 1949 to 23 October 1989 your end.
No, the forum should be free from political views especially that has nothing to do with the subject of the show, something "your buddy" keeps forgetting....

Quote:
There are plenty of people on this thread who have invested a lot of time reading the Altered Carbon books. I have read only the first. For me and only for me I will not be reading any more in the series or watching the videos. I was intrigued by year one, so I read the book. There is, of course, a lot more philosophy in the book than the videos.

Series two on Netflix was a bust for me, especially the last two episodes. I thought the actors did the best they could, but the material they had to work with was disjointed and nonsensical. If one is watching something and they are told "you should have read the book," well that is a sign they should not have watched the video.

Tőled függ

Természetesen. Like I've said I haven't made up my mind. The first season was OK but nothing I would rave about.
Alanlee likes this.

The Hun
post #376 of 392 Old 03-22-2020, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 4994 Post(s)
Liked: 3986
The 75 minute movie was about 60 minutes of fighting and shooting with negligible story. Lots of anime cliches. I didn't hate it, but it didn't feel necessary or terribly important to anything in the regular show.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
post #377 of 392 Old 03-22-2020, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1317 Post(s)
Liked: 1344
The real question for whether it was worthwhile or not is, How much those who sold the idea to Netflix, created it and voiced it, got paid. More than likely, it was well worth it. I believe sequels will be coming too.
aaronwt likes this.
post #378 of 392 Old 03-22-2020, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
The 75 minute movie was about 60 minutes of fighting and shooting with negligible story. Lots of anime cliches. I didn't hate it, but it didn't feel necessary or terribly important to anything in the regular show.
Without reading up on it or watching any previews, it was pretty much what I expected when I heard of an anime-style story set in the world of Altered Carbon. It was like watching an extended episode of Love Death + Robots. And in that, entertaining. I guess I wasn't looking for earth-shattering reveals or OMG! insights into the world of the TV show.
aaronwt and shivaji like this.
post #379 of 392 Old 03-23-2020, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
Without reading up on it or watching any previews, it was pretty much what I expected when I heard of an anime-style story set in the world of Altered Carbon. It was like watching an extended episode of Love Death + Robots. And in that, entertaining. I guess I wasn't looking for earth-shattering reveals or OMG! insights into the world of the TV show.
I agree with @Zookster .
The Anime was what it was...basically a detective story exercise in ultra-violence in the world of Altered Carbon that provided some continuity between S1 and S2.
Zookster likes this.

"You keep using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means."

-Steve-

TCL 55R617, Denon AVR-X2400H, Philips BDP-7502, Onkyo DX-C390, (2) HEOS 3HS2's,
Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble (FR/FL), MC150 (C), S100 (SR/SL), KLH E-12DB (SW)
post #380 of 392 Old 03-23-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
Fair enough. I was just kind of bored with it and started to doze off a little before the end.

Josh Z

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
post #381 of 392 Old 03-23-2020, 11:42 AM
DAB
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 89
AC - s1>s2.... is a very complicated storyline. Going from s1>-s2; takes/makes us take a leap of Sci-fi faith- it has/ will leave a lot of fans/viewers behind the 8_Ball.
The storyline is complicated to know who is on 1st> who is on 2nd...
I hope S3 can tie all the characters together.......
Thanks Netflix- for being brave enough to give us -HIGH Quality Sci-Fi.........
db
post #382 of 392 Old 03-23-2020, 12:40 PM
UHD Addict

Have they already renewed it for a Season 3?

post #383 of 392 Old 03-23-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Have they already renewed it for a Season 3?
I don't believe it's been announced yet.

Josh Z

post #384 of 392 Old 03-23-2020, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

I'm going to guess that Netflix renews it for one final season...with Season 1 they spend a fortune on it and it didn't meet their expectations as far as ratings or buzz...so they cut the budget drastically (which is never a good sign) and it still hasn't generated much mainstream buzz
post #385 of 392 Old 03-23-2020, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 6731 Post(s)
Liked: 7577
Quote:
I'm going to guess that Netflix renews it for one final season...with Season 1 they spend a fortune on it and it didn't meet their expectations as far as ratings or buzz...so they cut the budget drastically (which is never a good sign) and it still hasn't generated much mainstream buzz
That's understandable. I found the first season visually impressive and enjoyed the actors, production values, etc. But it was sooooo confusing. Had a difficult time following it and that's usually not a problem for me, especially with sci-fi shows.
post #386 of 392 Old 03-24-2020, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
That's understandable. I found the first season visually impressive and enjoyed the actors, production values, etc. But it was sooooo confusing. Had a difficult time following it and that's usually not a problem for me, especially with sci-fi shows.
I too found S1 visually stunning and was thoroughly engaged up until the finale. I was disappointed...felt that the "Murder She Wrote" style ending was just a little too loose and cheesy. It just didn't have the punch I was hoping for.

I did enjoy S2 and thought they did a better (if not perfect) job of wrapping up the plot line.
And of course they left the door wide open for a possible S3...
SuperFist likes this.

"You keep using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means."

-Steve-

TCL 55R617, Denon AVR-X2400H, Philips BDP-7502, Onkyo DX-C390, (2) HEOS 3HS2's,
Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble (FR/FL), MC150 (C), S100 (SR/SL), KLH E-12DB (SW)
post #387 of 392 Old 03-24-2020, 06:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1573 Post(s)
Liked: 6606
Quote:
outside of his role on 'The Killing' I was never really a fan of Joel Kinnaman...his role on 'The Killing' got him some other high profile jobs which he wasn't suited for (Suicide Squad, Robocop etc)...in my opinion he's better as a supporting actor and not the main lead...I'm looking forward to seeing what Anthony Mackie brings to the role of Takeshi Kovacs
There's just something about Kinnaman that I... I just want to punch him in the face... repeatedly! I have never experienced this feeling of repugnance before about anyone really, but I just can't stand that guy for some mysterious reason. I stomached him in the 1st season because everything was so well done with the gorgeous world laid out like Blade Runner and so forth; however, that female cop, Kristin Ortega, almost had me disliking her just as much as him!

But with this current season's Kovacs being played by Anthony Mackie, I can relax a little more and enjoy the story as I am much more satisfied with his portrayal, though admittedly I haven't read any of the books, so I don't know how he fares when comparing it to the literature.
post #388 of 392 Old 03-24-2020, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post
There's just something about Kinnaman that I... I just want to punch him in the face... repeatedly! I have never experienced this feeling of repugnance before about anyone really, but I just can't stand that guy for some mysterious reason. I stomached him in the 1st season because everything was so well done with the gorgeous world laid out like Blade Runner and so forth; however, that female cop, Kristin Ortega, almost had me disliking her just as much as him!

But with this current season's Kovacs being played by Anthony Mackie, I can relax a little more and enjoy the story as I am much more satisfied with his portrayal, though admittedly I haven't read any of the books, so I don't know how he fares when comparing it to the literature.

Funny: I have the complete opposite feeling/impression! I really enjoyed the first season (and Kinnaman had a lot to do with it), but the second season not so much (and Mackie had a lot to do with that). At this point, I'm not even sure I'll watch a third season. To each his own...
Yellbean likes this.

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR [v1.81], LG 65EF9500 4K OLED [v4.26.05]
5.0.2 set-up: (4) Polk Monitor 10B's, (2) Polk Monitor 4's, Polk CS300 center
B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD [v1.80]
post #389 of 392 Old 03-24-2020, 07:22 AM

Quote:
There's just something about Kinnaman that I... I just want to punch him in the face... repeatedly! I have never experienced this feeling of repugnance before about anyone really, but I just can't stand that guy for some mysterious reason.
I have that reaction to Seth Macfarlane whenever I see him on camera.

Josh Z

post #390 of 392 Old 03-24-2020, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
There's just something about Kinnaman that I... I just want to punch him in the face... repeatedly! I have never experienced this feeling of repugnance before about anyone really, but I just can't stand that guy for some mysterious reason...
I feel that way about Jai Courtney...I'm not sure how or why he keeps getting all these high profile acting gigs...
aaronwt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page