Black Mirror - Season 4 on Netflix - Dec 29th - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18Likes

post #1 of 36 Old 12-13-2017, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
Gov
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Black Mirror - Season 4 on Netflix - Dec 29th

Really looking forward to a new season of this excellent series!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 12-30-2017, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2278 Post(s)
Liked: 1746
I watched episodes 1,2 and 5 last night. Episode 1 was a hoot! Then I watched episode 5 because of the controversy over it and then 2. All were excellent! I will finish the rest tonight. Thanks to Netflix for making "null week" not so "null".
Zookster and TitusTroy like this.
post #3 of 36 Old 12-30-2017, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4107 Post(s)
Liked: 3669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Thanks to Netflix for making "null week" not so "null".

I thought it was a clever scheduling move by Netflix releasing it on Dec 29th when they know most people are home for the holidays and 90% of other shows are on hiatus until after the New Year
Gorilla Killa likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 12-30-2017, 10:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked: 1422
I loved the Aaron Paul cameo at the end of episode 1.
Spoiler!
post #5 of 36 Old 12-31-2017, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2278 Post(s)
Liked: 1746
A friend in the UK who met Charlie Brooker provided a link to an early website that Brooker had (and still available) where he did fake TV listings as satire. You'll need to search for it as the AVS gestapo would probably not approve of the content if I left a link. Just look up TVGoHome.
post #6 of 36 Old 12-31-2017, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 540
I've watched all but the last episode so far... the first two felt very lacklustre to me. I liked Hang the DJ the best so far.

Having said that, through most of the episodes, I feel each story provides very little context of the world that particular show is happening in, so there's not much emotional impact. Previous seasons didn't leave me feeling the same way.

Also, on my DV capable LG TV, all the episodes (except EP02) were displaying as HDR10, and NOT Dolby Vision. It seems like this is an issue with Netflix, as all other DV titles play in DV. I've already reported the issue to their support team.
DrTim likes this.
post #7 of 36 Old 01-01-2018, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Watched the first 4 Eps and enjoyed the imaginative storytelling of each. WIll take in the rest this week. REALLY enjoyed Ep1.

And they're all looking great on my 65" OLED....

I think, therefore I am single.
post #8 of 36 Old 01-02-2018, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1842 Post(s)
Liked: 2150
Loved episode one and the homage to Star Trek, that was the best episode of the series.
PannyMann likes this.

post #9 of 36 Old 01-09-2018, 10:26 AM

In the episode Black Museum when they are panning around showing things, they show a device with a lollipop under it. This looks very similar to the device used in the first episode that paid homage to Star Trek that he used to scan their DNA to put them in the game and the lollipop he used to scan from the kid. Did the show just do an episode that tied in other episodes into this one? If so, pretty cool.

Also, Black Museum is my second favorite episode of the series and the Apocalyptic landscape with the dog robots is my third favorite. Man, what an excellent season.
Zookster and Gov like this.

post #10 of 36 Old 01-09-2018, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
In the episode Black Museum when they are panning around showing things, they show a device with a lollipop under it. This looks very similar to the device used in the first episode that paid homage to Star Trek that he used to scan their DNA to put them in the game and the lollipop he used to scan from the kid. Did the show just do an episode that tied in other episodes into this one? If so, pretty cool.

Also, Black Museum is my second favorite episode of the series and the Apocalyptic landscape with the dog robots is my third favorite. Man, what an excellent season.
The article I read on season 4 mentioned that the Black Museum included many Easter eggs from prior episodes/seasons, and should be watched last (if viewing episodes out of order, like I tend to do).
WilliamR likes this.
post #11 of 36 Old 01-10-2018, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
The article I read on season 4 mentioned that the Black Museum included many Easter eggs from prior episodes/seasons, and should be watched last (if viewing episodes out of order, like I tend to do).
Cool, I like that they did that. I'll have to watch that scene again to see if I can see more of them.

post #12 of 36 Old 01-10-2018, 04:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Cool, I like that they did that. I'll have to watch that scene again to see if I can see more of them.
There have been some articles out there for a awhile that suggest all the episodes are actually tied together. I guess if you really pay attention there numerous things that pop up in episodes from other episodes. Black museum has a ton however.
post #13 of 36 Old 01-10-2018, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Easily the best season so far. Blown away by the Star Trek Video Internment Game Parody in Episode 1 simply amazing twist after you get past the first 15 minutes. Thought it couldn't get better but Ep 2,3,4 were also rewarding as hell. The Black Museum stories/conclusion = WoW!

Nothing in broadcast TV file cabinet redundancy boredom can compare to the creativity and quality in Season 4 so far. Black Mirror equals the present/future of the laptops, ipads, cell phones, tv's black screens we stare at all day and how it may evolve and usurp our lives in a +/- way. Season 1-3 were good but Season 4 seems as if they got budget increases and brought in amazing writers/directors that has taken this series to a new level of thought provoking/entertaining Excellence. Season 4 through the first four has blown me away. SYFY Channel productions are juvenile and yawnful compared to this stuff.

No spoilers, but this is a Netflix jewel with season four so far. Enjoy!
WilliamR likes this.

Samsung 75HU8550w/SEK-3500-UHDVideoPk, 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Philips Folio Soundbar
XBoxOne/360, FPS's Borderlands 1/2, EDF 2017/2025, Halo's
post #14 of 36 Old 01-10-2018, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post
Easily the best season so far. Blown away by the Star Trek Video Internment Game Parody in Episode 1 simply amazing twist after you get past the first 15 minutes. Thought it couldn't get better but Ep 2,3,4 were also rewarding as hell. The Black Museum stories/conclusion = WoW!

Nothing in broadcast TV file cabinet redundancy boredom can compare to the creativity and quality in Season 4 so far. Black Mirror equals the present/future of the laptops, ipads, cell phones, tv's black screens we stare at all day and how it may evolve and usurp our lives in a +/- way. Season 1-3 were good but Season 4 seems as if they got budget increases and brought in amazing writers/directors that has taken this series to a new level of thought provoking/entertaining Excellence. Season 4 through the first four has blown me away. SYFY Channel productions are juvenile and yawnful compared to this stuff.

While I still have Black Museum left to go, I can't see liking this season better than the 3rd, which I didn't get around to watching until about 2 weeks ago, so its fresh in my mind. Only USS Callister and Hang the DJ approach the best of S3 (San Junipero and Hated in the Nation). The other 3 I've watched were good, but honestly Maxine Peak's performance is the only thing that saved Metalhead from being pretty average. Still, you're right, light-years ahead of anything on SyFY save The Expanse.
post #15 of 36 Old 01-11-2018, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

Couldn't agree more, you echo my sentiments exactly. Really blown away by this season.

post #16 of 36 Old 01-12-2018, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
I'm watching them sequentially, one per day, so that they can "settle into my mind" comfortably. I don't want to expect too much, and am enjoying these very much so far.

Got up to the third episode ("Crocodile") last night, and its smile-inducing "trick ending". As "that song" was a prominent story piece in this S04E03 gem, the haunting song
was also a prominent story piece in the wonderful S01E02 show "15 Million Merits".

In "15 Million Merits" which was when I first was introduced to Daniel Kaluuya (recently starring in "Get Out"),
as part of a near-futuristic version of "American Idol". This was actually the first time I had heard that song, but couldn't get it out of my mind and finally chased it down.

I had another smile watching "Crocodile" last night, and seeing others seduced by it.

Last edited by DSperber; 01-12-2018 at 01:28 PM.
post #17 of 36 Old 03-04-2018, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I finished binge watching the entire series for the first time last night...really fantastic series...modern day Twilight Zone dealing with the dangers of technology...some episodes were better then others but overall it was a fantastic experience...every episode was interesting in its own way but there were some really unforgettable ones...my favorites were Be Right Back, Hang the DJ, White Bear, USS Callister, Crocodile, The Entire History of You...now that I think about it there are more I could add to the list

what's interesting is that looking online there are so many differing opinions on what they consider to be their favorite episodes...shows just how good this series is in that it appeals to a wide variety of tastes...San Junipero gets a lot of love but I didn't think it was that epic...good episode but not the best...same goes for Fifteen Million Merits which I thought dragged a bit but a lot of people seem to love...you can also go back and re-watch your favorites in any order as they aren't connected (although some episodes refer to past episodes in an Easter Egg type of way)...but for first timers I highly recommend watching it in order from Season 1 onwards...much better viewing experience to take in the episodes in order versus watching all the best episodes first

Season 4 was probably my favorite from top to bottom...almost every episode was 5 stars (except for Arkangel- the one directed by Jodie Foster which was good but not great)...only slight negative is that the first 2 seasons are not in 4K...the 3rd season is in 4K (but not HDR) and has a noticeable improvement in picture quality...Season 4 is in 4K + Dolby Vision and looks gorgeous...the USS Callister episode has some rich color and details and the HDR really makes them pop off the screen...overall I highly recommend this series for anyone who's a fan of dark stories about technology run amok

why isn't there 1 master thread about this show versus a bunch of threads dedicated to individual seasons?
post #18 of 36 Old 03-05-2018, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

'Black Mirror' Renewed for Season 5 at Netflix

The Netflix anthology from Charlie Brooker will return for a fifth season, Netflix announced Monday. A premiere date and episode count have yet to be announced...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...etflix-1090957
Gov likes this.
post #19 of 36 Old 03-08-2018, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 155
All in.

I think, therefore I am single.
post #20 of 36 Old 10-03-2018, 04:43 AM

Netflix Is Planning a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure ‘Black Mirror’
By Lucas Shaw, Bloomberg.com - Oct. 1, 2018

Netflix Inc. is about to let you decide how your favorite show will end.

The streaming service is developing a slate of specials that will let viewers choose the next storyline in a TV episode or movie, according to people familiar with the matter. The company expects to release the first of these projects before the end of this year, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the plans are still private.

Viewers will get to choose their own storylines in one episode of the upcoming season of “Black Mirror,” the Emmy-winning science-fiction anthology series. The show is famous for exploring the social implications of technology, including an episode where humans jockey to receive higher ratings from their peers. The fifth season of the show is expected to be released in December.

The foray into choose-your-own-adventure programming represents a big bet on a nascent form of entertainment known as interactive TV. As Netflix expands around the world, it’s looking for new ways to lure customers. By blending elements of video games with traditional television, the company could create a formula that can be applied to any number of series.

‘Puss in Book’

Netflix upended the business model of television by delivering new episodes of a season all at once -- letting viewers watch shows on-demand rather than live. But so far, the company has done little to change the way shows are conceived or produced. It releases the same 25-minute sitcoms, hourlong documentaries and two-hour movies as other TV networks.

Netflix has already released a handful of episodes of choose-your-own-adventure animated programs designed for kids. Within the first couple minutes off “Puss in Book,” the viewer must choose whether the pugilistic feline fights a god or a tree. After watching one version, the viewer can go back and choose the alternate scenario.

Netflix also is about to release a new animated series based on the popular video game “Minecraft.” Telltale Games, the company that was working with Netflix on the show, recently laid off most of its staff. But the show, based on one of the world’s most popular video games, is mostly finished and will be released later this year.

Video Games

The “Black Mirror” episode is the first of several experiments with live-action interactive programming for Netflix, and the first interactive show designed for adult viewers. The Los Gatos, California-based company has closed a deal for at least one more live-action project, and is negotiating the rights to others, said the people.

Two of the projects are adaptations of video games, though Netflix has no plans to start releasing video games -- contrary to recent reports.

This new type of narrative can complicate the production, and dealmaking. While a traditional movie has a 100-page script, a two-hour experience needs to have a longer script and production to account for all the different scenarios. Writers and producers are still determining how the extra demands affect their pay, among other matters.

Former journalist Charlie Brooker created “Black Mirror” in 2011 for the British TV network Channel 4 and oversaw four seasons alongside Annabel Jones. Netflix got on board in 2015, acquiring the rights to past episodes and the rights to release future seasons.

Two of the four previous seasons of “Black Mirror” have debuted in December, including the most recent six episodes. Production of the fifth season began earlier this year.

How Complex?

The stories that branch off from the main narrative of “Black Mirror” will be more complex than the options in the kids’ programming, though it remains to be seen just how complicated the show will be. Consumer experience is paramount at Netflix, which employs executives who test everything from the quality of mobile networks in Mumbai to Brazilians’ preferences for subtitles versus dubbing.

Producers of interactive TV are hoping Netflix’s growing investment is a sign that their time in the spotlight is approaching. HBO, one of Netflix’s fiercest rivals, released its first interactive TV show earlier this year. Directed by Steven Soderbergh, the longer version of “Mosaic” was available in a separate app.

While many TV viewers have voted for candidates in reality programs like “American Idol” and “The Voice,” no narrative TV show that asked viewers to engage with the plot has become a big hit.

That could soon change, said Jim Eko, the chief operating officer of Eko, a company that produces interactive shows. The widespread availability of high-speed internet, the prevalence of touch screens and interactive games have all laid the groundwork for shows that ask the viewer to engage.

“The time is right for interactive TV to become a mainstream experience,” he said.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...e-black-mirror

post #21 of 36 Old 10-03-2018, 05:08 AM

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 138
I love how millennials (target audience here, as I don't know others age 40+ who are watching this) are praising the drivel, unoriginal, hack job that Black Mirror is and salivating at the mere mention of new episodes. Children of the 80s grew up with The Outer Limits (1995 ->) that actually expanded on its predecessor and truly was a creative, social commentary masterpiece, way ahead of its time. Black Mirror offers nothing new to this genre.... "But, but... but... San Juniperno," you say. Oh, yeah, that PC-infused garbage was plagiarized from Dick to Vonnegut to countless others before it. Nothing to see here, folks, unless you were born post-Reagan era, which explains one's ability to be enthralled by pseudo-intellectual audio/visual junk.
post #22 of 36 Old 10-03-2018, 05:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Hmm. Not sure what to think about this ..
post #23 of 36 Old 10-03-2018, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Speaking as a 50 year old, I've really enjoyed the Black Mirror episodes I've seen, and I also enjoyed Electric Dreams on Amazon Prime, which is pretty much the same concept.

With that said, I am not hopeful for or interested in this Choose Your Own Adventure storytelling. When I want something like that, I actually play video games.
Garrett Adams and allargon like this.
post #24 of 36 Old 10-03-2018, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Speaking as a 50 year old, I've really enjoyed the Black Mirror episodes I've seen, and I also enjoyed Electric Dreams on Amazon Prime, which is pretty much the same concept.

With that said, I am not hopeful for or interested in this Choose Your Own Adventure storytelling. When I want something like that, I actually play video games.
most video games don't really give you freedom of choice...it's more an illusion of choice...I agree that I'm not interested in a 'choose your ending' type of TV show...The Sopranos ending was flawed because they didn't give us a real ending...they left it up to the viewer to determine what happened to Tony...if I'm watching a TV show or movie I'm watching someone else's story and want to see how they finish it...although with Black Mirror I don't mind a one time thing as an experiment...as far as Electric Dreams there were a few very good episodes but mostly it was a gorgeous looking but poor mans Black Mirror

oh...and Black Mirror is a fantastic show...even if it's not as good as Twilight Zone or Outer Limits it's still a highly entertaining show...looking forward to Season 5 this December!
Zookster likes this.
post #25 of 36 Old 10-03-2018, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
most video games don't really give you freedom of choice...it's more an illusion of choice...
In general I agree with this. Many RPGs lead you down slightly different paths depending on choices to reach the same ending, with all the major moments (cut scenes) pre-determined, and your "choices" wrapped up in a montage of images and graphics just before the end credits. Along the way, you get some different conversations. Someone may attack you instead of help you, but either way, they wind up dead, etc. But some Telltale games (which play like interactive TV series) do seem to capture more of a choose your own adventure style of experience (some do this better than others), and my concern is how a TV show can improve on such a well-established formula, beyond merely offering an alternate ending (see below).

Quote:
if I'm watching a TV show or movie I'm watching someone else's story and want to see how they finish it...
Exactly, I used to watch a lot of movies on DVD, and many times when an alternate ending was included on the disc, I generally preferred the theatrical version, unless it was a matter of studio meddling not allowing the director to have it his or her way in the theatrical release.

Quote:
as far as Electric Dreams there were a few very good episodes but mostly it was a gorgeous looking but poor mans Black Mirror
I agree here as well. The good ones I thought we're quite decent, but not as good as the best of Black Mirror, but at the same time, the worst of Black Mirror isn't as good as the best of Electric Dreams.
post #26 of 36 Old 10-04-2018, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaterofpain View Post
I love how millennials (target audience here, as I don't know others age 40+ who are watching this) are praising the drivel, unoriginal, hack job that Black Mirror is and salivating at the mere mention of new episodes. Children of the 80s grew up with The Outer Limits (1995 ->) that actually expanded on its predecessor and truly was a creative, social commentary masterpiece, way ahead of its time. Black Mirror offers nothing new to this genre.... "But, but... but... San Juniperno," you say. Oh, yeah, that PC-infused garbage was plagiarized from Dick to Vonnegut to countless others before it. Nothing to see here, folks, unless you were born post-Reagan era, which explains one's ability to be enthralled by pseudo-intellectual audio/visual junk.
I'm 46, and I loved "Black Mirror". I'll raise you "The Twilight Zone" to your "Outer Limits". "San Junipero" was a beautiful story. EVERYONE copies EVERYONE. To paraphrase Andy Warhol, "Good artists copy. Great artists steal." PC garbage? Come on. We are better than this. Even if you didn't like the story, there's no need to crap over it for being mildly progressive.

https://www.businessinsider.com/ever...to-best-2018-5

BTW, this thread was for season 4. We probably want to start a new thread for season 5, or reference the original thread.
Zookster and TitusTroy like this.
post #27 of 36 Old 10-04-2018, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post
I'm 46, and I loved "Black Mirror". I'll raise you "The Twilight Zone" to your "Outer Limits". "San Junipero" was a beautiful story. EVERYONE copies EVERYONE. To paraphrase Andy Warhol, "Good artists copy. Great artists steal." PC garbage? Come on. We are better than this. Even if you didn't like the story, there's no need to crap over it for being mildly progressive.

https://www.businessinsider.com/ever...to-best-2018-5

BTW, this thread was for season 4. We probably want to start a new thread for season 5, or reference the original thread.
That's a really good episode ranking list. I cherry pick which episodes of Black Mirror I watch based on the description, buzz, and actors in them (figuring I'll get around to the others later), and I was pleased to see I've watched 7 of the top 11 episodes. And I most certainly would've watched the John Hamm Xmas special had I known about it. I've also been meaning to check out Black Museum.
allargon likes this.
post #28 of 36 Old 10-04-2018, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post
I thought San Junipero was good but not as amazing as a lot of others who have it as their all time best episode...I got into the show late and binge watched all 4 seasons for the first time earlier this year...as far as creating a new thread, seems better to just have a master thread instead of a new thread for every season...
post #29 of 36 Old 10-04-2018, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
as far as creating a new thread, seems better to just have a master thread instead of a new thread for every season...
I agree with you, but there's a separate thread for season 3.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hd...-oct-21-a.html

There's the original master thread for seasons 1 and 2 (pre-Netflix).

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hd...-audience.html

So, it looks like we should create a new thread for season 5 (Netflix)
post #30 of 36 Old 10-04-2018, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's a really good episode ranking list. I cherry pick which episodes of Black Mirror I watch based on the description, buzz, and actors in them (figuring I'll get around to the others later), and I was pleased to see I've watched 7 of the top 11 episodes. And I most certainly would've watched the John Hamm Xmas special had I known about it. I've also been meaning to check out Black Museum.
why not just watch all the episodes?...the first 2 seasons were only 3 episodes each (plus the Christmas special) and the last 2 were only 6 episodes each...not a lot of episodes for 4 seasons...how would you know by reading the episode description or cast list if the episode is good or not?...they're not going to reveal the good parts or twists in the descriptions...the series is worth watching all the episodes
allargon likes this.

Last edited by TitusTroy; 10-04-2018 at 01:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page