• 1 Post By Engineer99

post #1 of 4 Old 01-29-2018, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1567 Post(s)
Liked: 1475
Alias Grace on Netflix

I didn't find a thread yet for this marvelous little mini-series on Netflix that featured an incredible, and dare I say mesmerizing , performance by Sarah Gadon. It was also great to see Zachery Levi in a role well suited to him. The series is only six 45-minute episodes, so an early evening for the hardcore binge watchers in this forum.

If you have seen it and were as perplexed by the ending as I was, here's a good explanation: http://www.vulture.com/2017/11/alias...he-ending.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-30-2018, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I watched this and was a little disturbed by the ending. A lot to think about. Great performance by Sarah Gadon.
I suppose the real life case this is based on wasn't quite the same. Did the author (this is based on a book, isn't it?) come up with that sensationalized ending?
post #3 of 4 Old 01-30-2018, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1567 Post(s)
Liked: 1475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer99 View Post
I watched this and was a little disturbed by the ending. A lot to think about. Great performance by Sarah Gadon.
I suppose the real life case this is based on wasn't quite the same. Did the author (this is based on a book, isn't it?) come up with that sensationalized ending?
I wasn't aware of a real-life case that this was based on, though it doesn't surprise me. According to this other Vulture article, the series is very close to the Margaret Atwood novel, though some had to get trimmed (the opposite of the Handmaid's Tale, where the Hulu series added quite a bit that wasn't in Atwood's relatively short novel).

Quote:
Netflix’s new Margaret Atwood adaptation Alias Grace is remarkably faithful to Atwood’s original novel. It’s not just a representation of the novel’s plot and characters, although it certainly does that. More impressive, as a TV series Alias Grace hews closely to the structure and tone of the book, which is no simple feat for a book as knotty and intricate as this one. The series is close enough to its source text that several passages come directly from Atwood’s original language.
http://www.vulture.com/2017/11/netfl...omparison.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-30-2018, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 22
You can look up "Grace Marks" for the story of the real case.
The series was excellent in every respect.
I did laugh out loud when Grace encountered the "Farm Dealer" riding with her in the carriage to her new employment
He was played by Thomas Craig who plays Inspector Brackenreid on The Murdoch Mysteries. His character likes to tip the bottle in both cases.
Zookster likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page