• 2 Post By WilliamR

post #1 of 20 Old 01-29-2018, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Britannia - Amazon

I just finished watching Season 1 of Amazon's Britannia. It's a sweeping, epic series shot in just a tremendously beautiful location. The series started in an interesting fashion IMO and season 1 closed impressively. I didn't read any reviews or see any previews before I watched it, but afterwards I immediately thought of GoT comparisons because of the tremendous production values and sweeping plot lines and some seriously incredible scenery - and I mean some of the most gorgeous I have ever seen in any series. Did I mention how good this series looks yet? :-)

It's a period drama set in 43 A.D. with some mystic elements, bad Romans and all kinds of other cool stuff. I was impressed with Season 1 and would highly recommend it.

TitusTroy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-29-2018, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 3921 Post(s)
Liked: 3194
Gauls, Druids and Romans, what else could you wish for?

Well written characters and stories, breathtaking scenery and period culture, that's what. This show has all that.

Was this filmed in Canada? Hard to imagine any place else looking this good.
Don S likes this.
post #3 of 20 Old 01-30-2018, 12:28 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4071 Post(s)
Liked: 3798
It was filmed in the Czech Republic and Wales.

I really enjoyed it, the scenery and the sets were spectacular and as we saw from the final episode,
Spoiler!
Nice collection of actors as well.
Don S and Kev Greenhalgh like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 01-30-2018, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 222
The reviews on this one aren't great. However, I don't find this to be quite as bad as a lot of critics mentioned. No, it's not "Game of Thrones". Little on TV now or even in the past would be. It's not even "The Tudors" or "The Borgias".

It's not as good as "The Last Kingdom". However, it is about the same dramatic quality as "Frontier" and "Medici: Masters of Florence" on Netflix. For linear TV, the quality equivalent would be "Da Vinci's Demons" on Starz.
post #5 of 20 Old 01-30-2018, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1168 Post(s)
Liked: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post
The reviews on this one aren't great. However, I don't find this to be quite as bad as a lot of critics mentioned. No, it's not "Game of Thrones". Little on TV now or even in the past would be. It's not even "The Tudors" or "The Borgias".

It's not as good as "The Last Kingdom". However, it is about the same dramatic quality as "Frontier" and "Medici: Masters of Florence" on Netflix. For linear TV, the quality equivalent would be "Da Vinci's Demons" on Starz.
Which season though? I loved the first one... then it went way off the rails.
post #6 of 20 Old 01-30-2018, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

I disagree. It's far better IMO than Frontier (by a country mile) and better than Medici. I haven't seen the Last Kingdom. It's definitely not GoT, but it is expansive, it has an epic feel to it and I found Season 1 really engrossing and interesting. As always YMMV, but I've never given much credence to some of the review sites for series like this ..
post #7 of 20 Old 01-30-2018, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked: 1218
I watched 3 episodes so far and I'm not all that excited at all. I'll watch the remaining episodes then offer my take. I haven't read any professional reviews just this thread so far and Wiki for the facts. Be back later....

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #8 of 20 Old 02-05-2018, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 262
I watched this show initially only because it was offered in UHD via Amazon Video. Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't the best thing I've seen, but it's well made and different enough that I had to stick with it.

Lots of great acting in this show. Really all the actors did great, even some of the small bit parts, but I have to give props both Liana Cornell as the daughter and Nikolaj Lie Kaas as Divis. And, once I learned that Mackenzie Crook played Veran the druid, I couldn't unsee him as his character from the Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

Was this the best thing ever? No. Am I hoping there's a Season 2? Yes.
Keenan, Don S and Garrett Adams like this.
post #9 of 20 Old 02-18-2018, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 165
I just finished episode 6.

I totally agree that the location is just awesome. Not only that, but it is also filmed in a tasteful way that brings out the beauty, rather than distract from it. I much prefer this type presentation that doesn't get annoying with filtering and blown out contrast, etc. This is just soothing, lush and vibrant. It gives a perfect atmosphere for this type of story.

I can't figure why the IMDB rating is only 6.6! Absentia is 7.4? IMDB what has become of ya!

Yes, as also said....It's not GoT. That is a pretty high bar though and lately, GoT is not always as good as GoT!

I like this cast also. The young Eleanor Worthington-Cox is really perfect for her roll and of course also familiar actors like Zoë Wanamaker, Mackenzie Crook (Check out Detectorists!) and was that David Bradley as the old lone Druid when the others had gone to the Citadel?

Anyway, more folks should check this out!
Don S likes this.
post #10 of 20 Old 02-19-2018, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 349
I also gave this a try due to UHD/HDR, and was pleasantly surprised. I really wish HBO and the other pay channels would delve into 4K like Netflix and Amazon have. GOT in UHD/HDR would be breathtaking.
post #11 of 20 Old 05-13-2018, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I just noticed that there will be a season 2 as well it seems. Great news. http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/27183...d-for-season-2
StormCrow likes this.
post #12 of 20 Old 05-13-2018, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 5144 Post(s)
Liked: 4605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
I just finished watching Season 1 of Amazon's Britannia. It's a sweeping, epic series shot in just a tremendously beautiful location. The series started in an interesting fashion IMO and season 1 closed impressively. I didn't read any reviews or see any previews before I watched it, but afterwards I immediately thought of GoT comparisons because of the tremendous production values and sweeping plot lines and some seriously incredible scenery - and I mean some of the most gorgeous I have ever seen in any series. Did I mention how good this series looks yet? :-)

It's a period drama set in 43 A.D. with some mystic elements, bad Romans and all kinds of other cool stuff. I was impressed with Season 1 and would highly recommend it.
sounds impressive...added to my watch list
post #13 of 20 Old 10-01-2018, 03:34 PM

I finally got around to watching this...watched all 9 episodes over 2 days...I enjoyed it...good story, great characters, excellent cast...it's no Game of Thrones but it makes a worthy copycat...more like HBO's Carnivale in a way as it deals with prophecies and destiny...once you understand who everyone is and all the various allegiances the show continues to get better...it's a historical fantasy about the Romans 2nd attempt at conquering Britannia which leans more towards the fantasy end of the spectrum...lots of in-fighting among the various clans of Britannia and a big mystical element courtesy of the Druids...plenty of gory violence, betrayals, nudity...some gorgeous cinematography as well

the comedic elements felt out of place at times along with some of the cursing in this fantasy world...some familiar faces such as Ian McDiarmid (Emperor Palpatine/Darth Sidious from the Star Wars movies), David Bradley (Walder Frey Game of Thrones), David Morrissey (Governor Walking Dead)...Mackenize Crook does an excellent job playing Veran, the head of the Druids...very fun show and definitely worth a binge watch...it's been renewed for Season 2 which is set to debut in early 2019...I'll definitely continue to watch as the story seems to be only in the beginning stages

the show is in 4K but no HDR...it looked great in UHD but it really could have benefited from the extra pop of HDR/Dolby Vision...there were a lot of bright colors and scenery which would have been a perfect showcase for HDR...hopefully Season 2 has HDR support
post #14 of 20 Old 12-01-2019, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked: 1214
This show has returned for a second season and is an enjoyable romp amidst Romans, Druids and Witches.
Flambe likes this.

Last edited by shivaji; 12-01-2019 at 06:46 PM.
post #15 of 20 Old 12-01-2019, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4071 Post(s)
Liked: 3798
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
This show has returned for a second season and is an enjoyable romp amidst Romans, Druids and Witches.
Is that a quote from a review as I don’t see it being available yet on Amazon Prime?
post #16 of 20 Old 12-01-2019, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 3921 Post(s)
Liked: 3194
^^^
Pretty sure its available on Sky network. Amazon will probably be a couple months behind.
Keenan and allargon like this.
post #17 of 20 Old 12-01-2019, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked: 1214
Er, Please disregard that. its not up yet on Amazon.
post #18 of 20 Old 12-02-2019, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I've been looking for the last few weeks for it. I actually re-watched season 1 as well in preparation. I'm ready :-)
post #19 of 20 Old 12-02-2019, 06:30 AM

S1 was fun...looking forward to the new season
post #20 of 20 Old 12-03-2019, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1998 Post(s)
Liked: 2509
I started watching this based solely on Don's recommendation and I am really enjoying it so far. Looks freaking stunning on my TV, like this is what I have been waiting for to show off these locations.

I have a soft spot for anything medieval so it grabbed me right away. Love this period of history, the story, visuals, characters, actors, etc. Going to get caught up soon so I can be ready for season 2 when it drops.
Don S and shivaji like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page