AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2595 Post(s)
Liked: 2939
Patriot haters rejoice.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/bosto...WQDWiN6psR5WTM
chadsmith013 likes this.

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Modded Little Dot hybrid tube amp with Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tubes, Dual Discrete Op-Amp SS3602, and Alps Blue Velvet volume pot.

Watching in a room ensconced in velvet.

Last edited by cardoski; 01-16-2019 at 10:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4142 of 4528 Old 01-17-2019, 05:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2255 Post(s)
Liked: 2318
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
Holycow!

maybe it's all those low frequencies that interfere with you seeing that the right thing to do is to turn to the dark side.
yeah over in the DIY section..my set up would be considered a newb set up or a "starting" point.

Receiver : Pioneer Elite SC-95
Front Speakers: 3 DIYSG 1099's
Surround Speakers:2 DIYSG Volt 10's Atmos: 2 DIYSG Volt 6's
Subwoofers: Dual LaVoce SAN214.50 21's in Cyclops enclosures w/Inuke 6000 DSP Channel A
Nearfield: 4 B-52 SP-1804 18s w/Inuke 6000DSP Channel B
post #4143 of 4528 Old 01-17-2019, 05:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I try to stay out of there. Them boys are cray-cray.
yeah they are crazy...having 2 18's is just childs play to them...although I do spend most of my time on this forum in the DIY section..every speaker in my room is DIY and it sounds amazing...never could of had so much great gear if i went store bought.
Gorilla Killa likes this.

Subwoofers: Dual LaVoce SAN214.50 21's in Cyclops enclosures w/Inuke 6000 DSP Channel A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4144 of 4528 Old 01-17-2019, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6156 Post(s)
Liked: 6815
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsmith013 View Post
yeah they are crazy...having 2 18's is just childs play to them...although I do spend most of my time on this forum in the DIY section..every speaker in my room is DIY and it sounds amazing...never could of had so much great gear if i went store bought.
Okay, to you and Cardo....
When you say "sound amazing", what exactly are you describing? Low frequency sounds -- anything below, what?, 30 Hz? -- can't really be "heard" anyways. More felt, right? So, how does the quality of the sound improve as you add more subs?

I understand about long wavelengths of low-frequency sound, and how a second or even third sub can help smooth out the frequency response and eliminate nulls, and how you want a sub to "pressurize the room", but some of these guys have 6, 8, or even more in a relatively small room. How much is really too much? I mean, once you add a second or third and eliminate the nulls and do your pressurization thing, aren't you just "bouncing the rubble"?

Seriously, I'm a one-sub-per-room guy, even in my dedicated theater. I'd really like to know. And if I were to ask this question in one of those sub forums, they'd just heap ridicule on me and throw a bunch of techno-jargon in my face. Then a couple of them would get into a shouting match about some obscure technical point which would end with death threats and my question would be long forgotten. Been there, done that.
post #4145 of 4528 Old 01-17-2019, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1652 Post(s)
Liked: 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
Patriot haters rejoice.

Click on the name not the arrow to watch on a new window.

These are just my opinions.
post #4146 of 4528 Old 01-17-2019, 06:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Then a couple of them would get into a shouting match about some obscure technical point which would end with death threats and my question would be long forgotten. Been there, done that.
Sounds like the Blu-ray vs HD-DVD days.

Husband, Scientist, Miami Dolphins Fan.
post #4147 of 4528 Old 01-17-2019, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
When you say "sound amazing", what exactly are you describing? Low frequency sounds -- anything below, what?, 30 Hz? -- can't really be "heard" anyways. More felt, right? So, how does the quality of the sound improve as you add more subs?

I understand about long wavelengths of low-frequency sound, and how a second or even third sub can help smooth out the frequency response and eliminate nulls, and how you want a sub to "pressurize the room", but some of these guys have 6, 8, or even more in a relatively small room. How much is really too much? I mean, once you add a second or third and eliminate the nulls and do your pressurization thing, aren't you just "bouncing the rubble"?

Seriously, I'm a one-sub-per-room guy, even in my dedicated theater. I'd really like to know. And if I were to ask this question in one of those sub forums, they'd just heap ridicule on me and throw a bunch of techno-jargon in my face. Then a couple of them would get into a shouting match about some obscure technical point which would end with death threats and my question would be long forgotten. Been there, done that.
Don't be afraid!Lots of very helpfull,nice people over there.At the most, when you ask a question about say...15" subwoofer it will end up spiraling to your need for quad 24" and 16,000 watts of power.

Some very cool stuff over there....For many of us,we're able to build quality stuff that we probably wouldn't have otherwise. Stick a toe in ,the waters fine!
chadsmith013 likes this.
post #4148 of 4528 Old 01-17-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg35 View Post
Some very cool stuff over there....For many of us,we're able to build quality stuff that we probably wouldn't have otherwise. Stick a toe in ,the waters fine!
markg35 and Nayan like this.
post #4149 of 4528 Old 01-17-2019, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

to be honest Im not big into all the technical jargan..but i do know you need at least 2 subs to balance things out..like you said with peeks and nulls and all that...I think alot of the ones with multiple subs have them in different locations in the room..I have in my room my 2 18's subs all the way up front..then I have 2 15's directly behind the couch against a back wall for whats called "nearfield"..it provides so much more impact..for explosions or whatever...and then i have 2 other 15's directly beside the couch facing into the couch and they are whats called PA subs..they arent typical subwoofers, but they play at a higher frequency, as in starting from 40hz and going up...some refer to them as MBM - mid bass modules...its more the bass that hits you in the chest like you would find in a night club or something...like when i play John Wick in that night club scene, with the bullets flying and all that..it sounds crazy in my room..the couch vibrates and just gives you just so much of an impact..its really cool...I think having nearfield subs in my opinion is almost more effective that having them anywhere else...now i do admit some of those DIY guys are just insane..the ones that have 10 18's on their front wall...i think they are just trying to hit really insane SPL levels...

the subs are great and all... but the speakers that alot of us get from a site called https://www.diysoundgroup.com/ (DIYSG) they basically sell kits and you put them together..its not too complicated..if i can, anybody can..but they sound just amazing..they are so efficient..they play so loud and clean and dont even require outside amplification from anything other then your receiver..i just love them...I had some regular store bought speakers in my theater...was Bic America....i thought they sounded great..then a guy i met on here came over and he had some speakers from DIYSG and we and another guy went did some A/B testing...we did mine first and we all agreed they sounded good..then we did his...and they sounded amazing..then we went back to mine and they sounded like crap...sounded like someone threw a towel over them...the DIYSG just sounded so alive and crisp and clean..the imaging was far superior...within a week i sold every speaker i have and went and got DIYSG speakers....heck even this weekend we are having a GTG in the Jacksonville area..there is about 10-12 of us so far and most of have DIYSG speakers...everyone that hears them gets converted over..shoudl be a good time..

post #4150 of 4528 Old 01-17-2019, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg35 View Post
Don't be afraid!Lots of very helpfull,nice people over there.At the most, when you ask a question about say...15" subwoofer it will end up spiraling to your need for quad 24" and 16,000 watts of power.

mark...what kind of stuff do you have?

and i agree...of course there are a-holes..but for the most part..the DIY area is full of really great dudes who really know there stuff and are always extremely helpful

post #4151 of 4528 Old 01-17-2019, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2595 Post(s)
Liked: 2939
chadsmith013 likes this.

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Modded Little Dot hybrid tube amp with Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tubes, Dual Discrete Op-Amp SS3602, and Alps Blue Velvet volume pot.

Watching in a room ensconced in velvet.
post #4152 of 4528 Old 01-17-2019, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 7111 Post(s)
Liked: 16062
Bartender, give me another round of TB12. Better make it a double.
cardoski likes this.

post #4153 of 4528 Old 01-17-2019, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3594 Post(s)
Liked: 2007
Quote:

Go read some of Floyd Toole's posts. Better yet buy his book off of Amazon.

I think he made a post recently about subs. IIRC he said that multiple 12 inch subs are better than one 18 inch sub. One of the guys that worked for him Welti did the research on multiple subs IIRC. Yes, you are basically correct that it evens out the low frequency for multiple positions.

Quote:
heck even this weekend we are having a GTG in the Jacksonville area..there is about 10-12 of us so far and most of have DIYSG speakers...everyone that hears them gets converted over..shoudl be a good time..
And now you tell me.

I came through last weekend. I could have stayed at my cousin's condo on Jax beach.
archiguy and chadsmith013 like this.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
post #4154 of 4528 Old 01-17-2019, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
Go read some of Floyd Toole's posts. Better yet buy his book off of Amazon.

I think he made a post recently about subs. IIRC he said that multiple 12 inch subs are better than one 18 inch sub. One of the guys that worked for him Welti did the research on multiple subs IIRC. Yes, you are basically correct that it evens out the low frequency for multiple positions.

And now you tell me.

I came through last weekend. I could have stayed at my cousin's condo on Jax beach.
dayum man I didnt even think of that...you are pretty far away...but we do got another member coming from the Miami area..and we got one coming from Rockledge Fl....but cmon on up....we gonna start at my place from 12-1, then we are going over to the hosts house which is about 5 minutes from my place..he just finished his garage into a theater...

we have a jacksonville area board on this forum..been talking about it on that.

im going to be selling my DIYSG Fusion 10's....will probably end up getting the DIYSG 1099's....it will be epic.

post #4155 of 4528 Old 01-17-2019, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3594 Post(s)
Liked: 2007
Quote:
dayum man I didnt even think of that...you are pretty far away...but we do got another member coming from the Miami area..and we got one coming from Rockledge Fl....but cmon on up....we gonna start at my place from 12-1, then we are going over to the hosts house which is about 5 minutes from my place..he just finished his garage into a theater...

we have a jacksonville area board on this forum..been talking about it on that.

im going to be selling my DIYSG Fusion 10's....will probably end up getting the DIYSG 1099's....it will be epic.
Thanks, but I have to much going on right now to drive up. Maybe next time.

So, you are going with the 1099s. Not bad, I figured you would go all in eventually with the Titans.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
post #4156 of 4528 Old 01-17-2019, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 33
We're in a thread about football and all you guys are talking about is Audio. Whats up that schitt.

Mark
post #4157 of 4528 Old 01-17-2019, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^
What you don't want to bring up is Kap or the anthem many have been run out of town.

post #4158 of 4528 Old 01-17-2019, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Cardo if your thinking your boyfriend is at a disadvantage this weekend just remember "the end justifies the means" and "everyone has a price."

post #4159 of 4528 Old 01-17-2019, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
Thanks, but I have to much going on right now to drive up. Maybe next time.

So, you are going with the 1099s. Not bad, I figured you would go all in eventually with the Titans.
nah titans would be way too big for my room..and i dont have a fake wall...not to mention the titans are a tad bit ugly.

post #4160 of 4528 Old 01-17-2019, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfeust View Post
We're in a thread about football and all you guys are talking about is Audio. Whats up that schitt.
this normally never happens..LOL

Go Chiefs!!!!

post #4161 of 4528 Old 01-17-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfeust View Post
Quote:
this normally never happens..LOL
Yeah, golly, it's not like this is the A(audio)V(video)S(science) Forum or anything.
Nayan, chadsmith013 and cardoski like this.
post #4162 of 4528 Old 01-17-2019, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 2859 Post(s)
Liked: 2631
Off Topic:

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #4163 of 4528 Old 01-17-2019, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked: 2077
Quote:
nah titans would be way too big for my room..and i dont have a fake wall...not to mention the titans are a tad bit ugly.

down the rabbit hole you go, the 1099's put out some midbass. You'll be selling your PA460's and buying some 24's in no time.

@archiguy , getting a even response with multiples should be a minimum goal. You would be surprised at what a difference multiples can make. There is an odd chance that you have a great response now, but its like going to Vegas or signing a record deal with Suge Knight, roll of the dice
chadsmith013 likes this.

8hz ULF TR for the masses and the Cashless. Like a BOSS

If you can't stand behind our troops stand in front of them
post #4164 of 4528 Old 01-17-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
@archiguy , getting a even response with multiples should be a minimum goal. You would be surprised at what a difference multiples can make. There is an odd chance that you have a great response now, but its like going to Vegas or signing a record deal with Suge Knight, roll of the dice
I designed my theater for two SVS PC-2000 Cylinders on either side of the screen. But due to painful value-engineering choices as I was finishing the house (re: I was running out of money ), I downsized it to one, figuring I'd pick up the second one later. Still haven't done it, though. Been waiting on a "deal", but SVS stubbornly refuses to offer any on that model.

In my other two 5.1 systems, living room and rec room, I just have one sub in the typical location, next to the receiver and inside the left side loudspeaker. My living room is quite large and opens up to the kitchen/dining area and I've got an SVS SB-1000 in there.

This may sound like a stupid question, one that would surely subject me to humiliating ridicule in the audio forums, but considering most AVR's just have one input port for powered subs, how do you manage to hook up two or more of the things?
chadsmith013 likes this.
post #4165 of 4528 Old 01-17-2019, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here's my subwoofer and only one gets the job done.

But the power bill is killing me.

cardoski likes this.

post #4166 of 4528 Old 01-17-2019, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I designed my theater for two SVS PC-2000 Cylinders on either side of the screen. But due to painful value-engineering choices as I was finishing the house (re: I was running out of money ), I downsized it to one, figuring I'd pick up the second one later. Still haven't done it, though. Been waiting on a "deal", but SVS stubbornly refuses to offer any on that model.

In my other two 5.1 systems, living room and rec room, I just have one sub in the typical location, next to the receiver and inside the left side loudspeaker. My living room is quite large and opens up to the kitchen/dining area and I've got an SVS SB-1000 in there.

This may sound like a stupid question, one that would surely subject me to humiliating ridicule in the audio forums, but considering most AVR's just have one input port for powered subs, how do you manage to hook up two or more of the things?
Easy button is to use a Y splitter, you can't tune them independently but if you gain match them, (set so the volume is equal at the main listening position) you'll be good to go
archiguy and chadsmith013 like this.

8hz ULF TR for the masses and the Cashless. Like a BOSS

If you can't stand behind our troops stand in front of them
post #4167 of 4528 Old 01-17-2019, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Off Topic: