The Terror on AMC HD - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 74Likes

post #61 of 154 Old 04-30-2018, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked: 7291
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post
It did seem like learning that everyone's being poisoned by lead sealing in canned food is what flipped out the quiet, reasonable doctor Stanley, setting him into a kerosene tent-burning and self-emulation rage. Came across a similar theory here. Read somewhere there's cannibalistic horror to come .
That seemed to happen far too suddenly for me. He was reasonable, rational, calm... and then tried to kill everyone while burning himself alive. Didn't make sense he would flip out from lead poisoning so quickly.
Don S and CruelInventions like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 154 Old 05-01-2018, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1603 Post(s)
Liked: 1920
^ It seems there was more to it to me as well...
I think the psychological effects of isolation, hopelessness, being hunted, the cold, losing men, etc...took as much if not more toll on the doctor then the slow led poisoning did.
Don S likes this.

"Any year the Pats don't get to the SB is a good year"
post #63 of 154 Old 05-01-2018, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
^ It seems there was more to it to me as well...
I think the psychological effects of isolation, hopelessness, being hunted, the cold, losing men, etc...took as much if not more toll on the doctor then the slow led poisoning did.
True, but I agree with @archiguy that it was too fast. Even with all the other effects you mention, they never really showed him anything other than a calm jerk really. You'd think you'd see at least SOME indication that something is off, before he goes full out nuts ..
archiguy and CruelInventions like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 154 Old 05-01-2018, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Sure enough, his seemingly abrupt transformation is why his actions were so puzzling, with the lead the culmination of everything going on. Looked like in last night's show, with crew heads scattered about in one shot. the bear spook got to the small rescue-attempt party sent out earlier. And when the dude that gave eskimos his spyglass returned to his companions, one of them (alive} is taking a sunbath and kills the two others. -- John
post #65 of 154 Old 05-01-2018, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 279
A good show...makes me never want to take a walk in the cold again; let alone get on a boat during the winter months.
Don S likes this.

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | Hulu | Roku Ultra | Monoprice 12AWG |
post #66 of 154 Old 05-02-2018, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I continue to enjoy this show. It continues to provide such an incredibly eerie , chilling tone throughout the episodes. The setting is obviously a major factor in this, but throughout I have found the show engaging and scary. Great stuff.

It's not perfect though, as we saw another too-quick turn by another shipmate IMO. I realize they want the shock value, but I would appreciate at least a subtle hint that someone may be affected by whatever is going on out there before they go nuts. In spite of this though, I am thoroughly enjoying the show.
post #67 of 154 Old 05-02-2018, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I don't know much about lead poisoning (and too lazy to read up on it - don't care all that much), but it seems to be where the body reaches a threshold and you either suddenly drop dead, or suddenly go nuts. It's funny they showed some guys having a slow progression downhill (bruises, bloody teeth, old wounds opening up) due to the effects - which are the ones you'd figure they would show drop dead or go nuts as the poisoning progressed to its final stages. But the ones that do have the sudden turn weren't really shown with many (any) symptoms leading up to the turn.
post #68 of 154 Old 05-02-2018, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2117 Post(s)
Liked: 2759
What a horrible thing to have to endure, trekking across that barren landscape. That attack scene at the end was disturbing, all the stabbing over and over really got to me. Well filmed. The show keeps getting better and better.
AlexanderDelarg likes this.

post #69 of 154 Old 05-20-2018, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 5538 Post(s)
Liked: 5014
I binge watched the first 9 episodes (season finale airs this Monday night)...really good show...the setting and survival aspect is well done...it didn't even need the supernatural polar bear angle...just the crew stranded in the Arctic in frigid conditions would have been enough...Jared Harris is a standout for his performance as Francis Crozier...the other captains are also well played as was the actor playing Goodsir...the guy playing Hickey also did a good job (looked like a poor man's Ryan Gosling)...I did find it hard to keep track of some of the secondary characters...was confusing at times figuring out who's who as a lot of the characters looked the same

the time period and setting were very unique and AMC did an amazing job filming the show...it really looked like they filmed in extreme weather but all of the Arctic scenes were actually filmed indoors in a studio in Budapest, Hungary and everything was special effects...even the scene in the 1st episode with the guy in the diving suit underwater was all special effects...the rocky island scenes were filmed outdoors on location in Croatia...I hear if AMC does order a 2nd season it will be an anthology show with a new setting and story...I'm glad as there's no way they could continue the current story
itallushrt likes this.
post #70 of 154 Old 05-21-2018, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
I binge watched the first 9 episodes (season finale airs this Monday night)...really good show...the setting and survival aspect is well done...it didn't even need the supernatural polar bear angle...just the crew stranded in the Arctic in frigid conditions would have been enough...
I had mentioned this earlier... the story was interesting enough (the stranding/survival aspect), no need for the supernatural stuff.

post #71 of 154 Old 05-21-2018, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked: 7291
I kind of agree with you guys about the supernatural element of the sacred killer bear being unnecessary considering the threat of the lead poisoning making people go cray-cray, and the sheer brutality of the cold & ice causing so much hardship.

But since they spilled that particular "can o' beans" so early, there has to be more, right? I mean, they could have kept the mystery of why certain people were flipping out going for the entire run of the show and made that reveal at the very end. So there has to be more, something we haven't seen coming. Some way it all ties in together, seems to me. Could be wrong.

We'll see tonight.
post #72 of 154 Old 05-21-2018, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I had mentioned this earlier... the story was interesting enough (the stranding/survival aspect), no need for the supernatural stuff.
says a lot about what AMC (and networks in general) think about audiences...a strictly survival show wouldn't have appealed to the masses so they needed to throw in some supernatural creature to get more people to watch...since Ridley Scott was an executive producer I wonder if it was his idea to throw that in...sort of had that Alien/The Thing vibe
post #73 of 154 Old 05-21-2018, 11:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked: 1326
Quote:
Similar thoughts. The spirit bear, or whatever it was, just came across as sort of silly to me. And instead of scary, I kept thinking couldn't they have spent more for better CGI? I've seen better bears (or monsters) on my Xbox.

They could have easily gone with madness to lure in viewers if expecting a horror type of show. And if they wanted a spirit bear monster, don't actually show the thing ... leave it to the audience's imagination. Then it could be a monster... it could be a regular bear... or it could be insanity from lead poisoning.
post #74 of 154 Old 05-22-2018, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter

I thought the finale was really good...wrapped up the story in a satisfying way...only thing I wish they added was a title card at the end explaining that the actual Erebus and Terror ships were found in 2014...also maybe some pictures of the actual crew of those ships
post #75 of 154 Old 05-22-2018, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked: 1473
Quote:
I binge watched the first 9 episodes (season finale airs this Monday night)......I did find it hard to keep track of some of the secondary characters...was confusing at times figuring out who's who as a lot of the characters looked the same
You even binged-watched and still had difficulty keeping track.

Now I don't feel so bad about having the same difficulty as a week-to-week viewer. Definitely harder to keep track with a week between episodes.
post #76 of 154 Old 05-22-2018, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
says a lot about what AMC (and networks in general) think about audiences...a strictly survival show wouldn't have appealed to the masses so they needed to throw in some supernatural creature to get more people to watch...since Ridley Scott was an executive producer I wonder if it was his idea to throw that in...sort of had that Alien/The Thing vibe
I thought this story was based upon a book? Or a series of books?

The monster/creature was in the source book, I think. So no ham-fisted AMC new story element drop-in.
post #77 of 154 Old 05-22-2018, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What was the chain-pulling about, in the final major creature confrontation?

Didn't see the point in doing that or what purpose it served.

Hopefully my description is clear enough without being spoilery either.
post #78 of 154 Old 05-22-2018, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post
You even binged-watched and still had difficulty keeping track.

Now I don't feel so bad about having the same difficulty as a week-to-week viewer. Definitely harder to keep track with a week between episodes.
yeah the main characters were easy enough to keep track of but the secondary ones were hard at times...especially since they had a few scenes here and there and then played a bigger role later on...with such a dialogue heavy show sometimes the characters sort of blended in together

Quote:
I thought this story was based upon a book? Or a series of books?

The monster/creature was in the source book, I think. So no ham-fisted AMC new story element drop-in.
you're right...my bad...the book had the supernatural creature as well...
CruelInventions likes this.
post #79 of 154 Old 05-22-2018, 10:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I thought the finale was really good...wrapped up the story in a satisfying way...only thing I wish they added was a title card at the end explaining that the actual Erebus and Terror ships were found in 2014...also maybe some pictures of the actual crew of those ships

Yup. I enjoyed it as well. Satisfying and interesting (and a bit terrifying). This series had a unique feel about it for me. I agree also that they might have added a bit of historical info at the very end. Still, a very engaging show IMO..
post #80 of 154 Old 05-23-2018, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
My take:

Spoiler!

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
post #81 of 154 Old 05-23-2018, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlshane View Post
My take:

Spoiler!
Ah, that seems reasonable. Thanks!
post #82 of 154 Old 05-23-2018, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked: 670
Quote:
Ah, that seems reasonable. Thanks!
I didn't get why Hickey cut his own tongue out and offered it to the creature with his outstretched arm.

Sony 65A1E
post #83 of 154 Old 05-24-2018, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
I didn't get why Hickey cut his own tongue out and offered it to the creature with his outstretched arm.
Again, my assumption:

Spoiler!

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
post #84 of 154 Old 05-24-2018, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Spoiler!

Quote:

Didn't see the point in doing that or what purpose it served.

Hopefully my description is clear enough without being spoilery either.
post #85 of 154 Old 05-24-2018, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Again, my assumption:

Spoiler!
or....

Spoiler!

post #86 of 154 Old 05-24-2018, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

I don't understand why Crozier decides to stay in the Arctic and live among the Eskimos instead of go back home...I get that he's been through a lot of horrific stuff in the past few years but why continue to suffer?...did he fall in love with Lady Silence and was going to spend the rest of his life searching for her?...still seems kind of a drastic choice
post #87 of 154 Old 05-24-2018, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked: 670
Quote:
Again, my assumption:

Hickey thought he could become the new shaman by performing the ritual of cutting out his tongue. Apparently he wasn't eligible because the current shaman was still alive. He paid for his presumptuousness with his life.
So we're just supposed to believe he somehow acquired knowledge of Eskimo shaman beliefs and rituals?

Quote:
I don't understand why Crozier decides to stay in the Arctic and live among the Eskimos instead of go back home...I get that he's been through a lot of horrific stuff in the past few years but why continue to suffer?...did he fall in love with Lady Silence and was going to spend the rest of his life searching for her?...still seems kind of a drastic choice
Yeah wasn't crazy about how they wrapped up the series.
archiguy likes this.

Sony 65A1E
post #88 of 154 Old 05-24-2018, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
So we're just supposed to believe he somehow acquired knowledge of Eskimo shaman beliefs and rituals?

Yeah wasn't crazy about how they wrapped up the series.
I think in real life most of the crew died from frostbite, lead poisoning or cannibalism so the book/TV version needed to up the dramatic stakes by adding in some fantastical elements
post #89 of 154 Old 05-24-2018, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not sure of course, but he didn't have a wife or love to return to back home. And maybe the experience so changed him that he couldn't see himself returning to a "normal" life ever again. Or guilt from the fact that he was charged with leading and protecting his men, but none of them survived. A sense of shame or self-punishment to remain among his crew.
replayrob, TitusTroy and danlshane like this.
post #90 of 154 Old 05-25-2018, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Not sure of course, but he didn't have a wife or love to return to back home. And maybe the experience so changed him that he couldn't see himself returning to a "normal" life ever again. Or guilt from the fact that he was charged with leading and protecting his men, but none of them survived. A sense of shame or self-punishment to remain among his crew.
Definitely, there was nothing left for him back home.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page