The Terror on AMC HD - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 74Likes

post #91 of 154 Old 05-25-2018, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1602 Post(s)
Liked: 1919
^ And imagine how it wold have looked if the captain went back to England as the sole survivor out of the full crew of two ships?

Any way you look at it... going home was not an option for him.

"we're still here!" "no days off" "yada, yada yada..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 154 Old 05-26-2018, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 6553 Post(s)
Liked: 7290
Yeah, I was a little disappointed in the ending too. I don't really buy him not returning. Wasn't his fault he was the only survivor (and he lost a hand to boot). He was never a coward, and he did the best he could to save his men. He could have told his fantastic story and earned the awe & respect of future English Naval officers and a place in history.

But... history. The real Captain Crozier did not come back, and since nobody really knows what happened to the expedition, the authors were free to fashion an historical novel out of their fertile imaginations with virtually no actual history to go on.

I presume the spirit-bear killed the other two parties of survivors? Or did they just finally expire from hunger and madness? Don't know how that would have happened so fast, even though they showed one momentary survivor who had evidently gone mad enough to turn his face into a jewelry store.
post #93 of 154 Old 05-26-2018, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked: 1326
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Yeah, I was a little disappointed in the ending too. I don't really buy him not returning. Wasn't his fault he was the only survivor (and he lost a hand to boot). He was never a coward, and he did the best he could to save his men. He could have told his fantastic story and earned the awe & respect of future English Naval officers and a place in history.
Keep in mind the historical time period too. Perhaps now society may not view a lone survivor as a failure, but a captain back then who lost every single man and both his ships? Not so good...

The thought of penance also crossed my mind. The captain may have chosen his fate out of guilt.
replayrob likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 154 Old 05-26-2018, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked: 1473
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

I presume the spirit-bear killed the other two parties of survivors? Or did they just finally expire from hunger and madness? Don't know how that would have happened so fast, even though they showed one momentary survivor who had evidently gone mad enough to turn his face into a jewelry store.
OH, yea. That was the other thing I was left wondering about. The jeweled chain-face on that guy.

Last edited by CruelInventions; 05-26-2018 at 01:30 PM.
post #95 of 154 Old 05-26-2018, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I really liked the show but I was left completely baffled at the end.

And what was the ending, exactly? They froze to death there? That's it?

The Hickey tongue thing was another mystery to me. Not sure at all where that came from because up until that point he seemed to always be in control of his faculties; or if he had a reason for doing it, I have no idea from where he got that idea.

Finally, much as I love a good supernatural, I have to admit that I was disappointed with the bear thing. I felt that it cheapened the show and it was not needed. I was more intrigued by the expedition, them being stranded, their will and plan to survive, and attempts to get home/rescued.
replayrob likes this.
post #96 of 154 Old 05-26-2018, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5531 Post(s)
Liked: 5008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuspieds View Post
The Hickey tongue thing was another mystery to me. Not sure at all where that came from because up until that point he seemed to always be in control of his faculties; or if he had a reason for doing it, I have no idea from where he got that idea
in the very first episode the eskimo shaman the crew accidentaly killed had no tongue and he was the one apparently controlling the creature...Lady Silence also cut out her tongue mid-way during the season in an attempt to control it...so in the end Hickey did the same
JoeTiVo and danlshane like this.
post #97 of 154 Old 06-02-2018, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Binge watched it over 3 nights.

I suspect what happened to Hickley's crew did the same to Crozier's; cannibalism was unavoidable. Think I saw the boot of the other captain's near the fire pit.

In the 1800's, a sole survivor, especially a captain would not fare well in that period. He had no love one or family to return to. He would be treated as a failure, not finding the NW Passage though Blankey (the guy with one good leg left) did see it (I think). It all comes down to Queen and Country, and Far East trade dollars to the Empire.

Overall, it's a very morbid series but extremely well written and acted. The interactions and dialogues were very detailed, full of realistic human bonding, except couple of instances, such as Dr. Stanley and Goodsir's sacrifice (almost sainthood).

Last edited by dragonbud0; 06-02-2018 at 02:01 PM. Reason: clarity
post #98 of 154 Old 06-23-2018, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

season 2 of The Terror will be set during World War II and follow the horrific journey of Japanese-Americans from life in Southern California to internment camps and war in the Pacific...Godzilla's Max Borenstein will serve as the new showrunner...

https://deadline.com/2018/06/the-ter...mc-1202415649/
archiguy likes this.
post #99 of 154 Old 06-23-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
season 2 of The Terror will be set during World War II and follow the horrific journey of Japanese-Americans from life in Southern California to internment camps and war in the Pacific...Godzilla's Max Borenstein will serve as the new showrunner...

https://deadline.com/2018/06/the-ter...mc-1202415649/
I wonder how they're going to justify the inclusion of a supernatural element into this storyline (I'm assuming that's the conceit of this anthology series) considering we know nearly everything about that man-made atrocity verses the fact that we really don't know anything about what happened in the first season's event? Last season they had virtually a blank canvass on which to paint a storyline. Not the case next year.
post #100 of 154 Old 06-23-2018, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I wonder how they're going to justify the inclusion of a supernatural element into this storyline (I'm assuming that's the conceit of this anthology series) considering we know nearly everything about that man-made atrocity verses the fact that we really don't know anything about what happened in the first season's event? Last season they had virtually a blank canvass on which to paint a storyline. Not the case next year.
well they mentioned in the press release that it will center on an 'uncanny specter' that menaces a Japanese-American community from its home in Southern California to the internment camps to the war in the Pacific...so a ghost/spirit will be chasing them...probably not a supernatural polar bear this time but maybe a literal ghost...Season 1 didn't really even need the supernatural aspect and it seems S2 is the same...I guess they need to add it otherwise people might get turned off by the historical documentary type of aspect
replayrob likes this.
post #101 of 154 Old 06-23-2018, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1602 Post(s)
Liked: 1919
Quote:
...Season 1 didn't really even need the supernatural aspect and it seems S2 is the same...I guess they need to add it otherwise people might get turned off by the historical documentary type of aspect
I suspect you're correct, but it was completely superfluous in season one and lead to ridiculous situations like people cutting out their own tongue, etc...
Hopefully they'll minimize the supernatural element in season two.

"we're still here!" "no days off" "yada, yada yada..."
post #102 of 154 Old 06-23-2018, 11:36 AM

I guess they felt they needed to add the supernatural beast element because they didn't think people being trapped in a frozen hell with little or no chance of escape, gradually going insane from lead poisoning, resorting to cannibalism, etc. wasn't terrifying enough.
post #103 of 154 Old 06-24-2018, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked: 670
Quote:
I guess they felt they needed to add the supernatural beast element because they didn't think people being trapped in a frozen hell with little or no chance of escape, gradually going insane from lead poisoning, resorting to cannibalism, etc. wasn't terrifying enough.
If by "they" you mean AMC then no, the show was based on a novel by Dan Simmons which incorporated the monster into the real life Terror/Erebus expedition.
archiguy likes this.

Sony 65A1E
post #104 of 154 Old 06-27-2018, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
I wonder how they're going to justify the inclusion of a supernatural element into this storyline (I'm assuming that's the conceit of this anthology series)
The story at the link is explicit:

Quote:
Season 2 is co-created by a new creative team, Alexander Woo (True Blood) and Max Borenstein (Kong: Skull Island) with Woo, who is currently under an overall deal at AMC Studios, set as showrunner. The next iteration, based on an idea by Borenstein, will be set during World War II and center on an uncanny specter that menaces a Japanese-American community from its home in Southern California to the internment camps to the war in the Pacific. Woo and Borenstein take over from Soo Hugh and David Kajganich, who served as co-showrunners on season one.
Jiminy, that creative team does not fill me with hope. Not a sterling legacy being brought to the show.

Last edited by Joseph; 07-03-2018 at 11:41 AM.
post #105 of 154 Old 06-27-2018, 07:04 PM

So, it looks like next season will be from Soo to Woo with a boo!
post #106 of 154 Old 06-28-2018, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
The story at the link is explicit:

Jiminy, that creative team does not feel me with hope. Not a sterling legacy being brought to the show.
I feel you

post #107 of 154 Old 07-01-2018, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
If by "they" you mean AMC then no, the show was based on a novel by Dan Simmons which incorporated the monster into the real life Terror/Erebus expedition.
I read the Simmons novel (he is a great writer) which was very dark, so I did not watch the series. From reading the posts here the TV series seemed close to the book in major plot lines at least.

Simmons writes excellent horror, sci-fi and stories with strong historical content.
Egan likes this.
post #108 of 154 Old 07-01-2018, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
Jiminy, that creative team does not feel me with hope. Not a sterling legacy being brought to the show.
before the first season you probably could have said the same thing about the Season 1 showrunners...
post #109 of 154 Old 07-01-2018, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked: 1326
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
I suspect you're correct, but it was completely superfluous in season one and lead to ridiculous situations like people cutting out their own tongue, etc...
Hopefully they'll minimize the supernatural element in season two.

The supernatural aspect of season 1 was a hindrance in my opinion. Instead of vague, mysterious and scary, it instead veered into nonsense at times.

As with the other comments, that creative team behind season 2 doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. If AMC wants to go the supernatural/historical route, do it properly.... a haunted house in the 1800s.... witches in the 1600s, etc. And do horror properly -- meaning no jump scares or giving the audience too much information, such as big close-ups of weird CGI spirit bears.
post #110 of 154 Old 12-11-2018, 04:58 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2114 Post(s)
Liked: 2756
‘The Terror’: Cristina Rodlo Cast As Regular In Season 2 Of AMC Anthology

by Denise Petski
December 10, 2018 12:59pm

Season 2 is co-created by Alexander Woo (True Blood) and Max Borenstein (Kong: Skull Island) with Woo, who is currently under an overall deal at AMC Studios, set as showrunner. The next iteration will be set during World War II and center on an uncanny specter that menaces a Japanese-American community from its home in Southern California to the internment camps to the war in the Pacific. The 10-episode Season 2 is expected to air on AMC in 2019.

Rodlo will play Luz, a nursing student who must make some tough decisions between her personal and professional life.

The Terror season two is executive produced by Ridley Scott and is an AMC Studios production, produced by Scott Free, Emjag Productions and Entertainment 360.

Rodlo will next be seen in Miss Bala, the Catherine Hardwicke-directed English-language redo of Gerardo Naranjo’s 2011 Spanish-language thriller, which is slated to release Feb 1, 2019. She’ll also appear in Nicholas Winding Refn’s Amazon series Too Old To Die Young set for release in 2019, and she has two feature films set for release in Mexico during the second half of 2019. Her previous TV credits include El Vato, 2091, Run Coyote Run and Vuelve Temprano. Rodlo’s repped by Valor Entertainment Group and Ziffren Brittenham in the U.S. and Talent On The Road in Mexico.

https://deadline.com/2018/12/the-ter...lo-1202517014/

post #111 of 154 Old 12-12-2018, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Cool. Season one was really good. Hope this is as good. Thanks
replayrob likes this.
post #112 of 154 Old 12-19-2018, 05:05 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2114 Post(s)
Liked: 2756
George Takei Joins Terror Season 2 Cast, Will Consult on Internment Camp Story
By Matt Webb Mitovich, TVLine.com - Dec. 18, 2018

George Takei has boarded Season 2 of AMC’s Ridley Scott-produced anthology series The Terror, serving as both a consultant and a series regular.

Set during World War II, the second season centers on a series of bizarre deaths that haunt a Japanese-American community, and the journey of a young man, Chester Nakayama (played by Derek Mio), to understand and combat the malevolent entity responsible.

As a child, Takei was imprisoned in two Japanese-American internment camps after the outbreak of World War II. As a consultant, he will work closely with executive producers such as Alexander Woo (True Blood) and Max Borenstein (TV’s Minority Report) to ensure the accuracy of historical events and storytelling. On the acting side, the Star Trek icon will play Yamato-san, a former fishing captain and community elder.

Additional casting for the 10-episode Season 2, which begins production next month in Vancouver, includes Kiki Sukezane (Lost in Space) as Yuko, a mysterious woman from Chester’s past; Miki Ishikawa as Amy, a Nakayama family friend; Shingo Usami as Henry Nakayama, Chester’s father; and Naoko Mori as Asako Nakayama, Chester’s mother.

https://tvline.com/2018/12/18/george...ternment-camp/

post #113 of 154 Old 12-19-2018, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
George Takei Joins Terror Season 2 Cast, Will Consult on Internment Camp Story
Not sure how I feel about this news
JoeTiVo likes this.

post #114 of 154 Old 12-19-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamian View Post
Not sure how I feel about this news
Considering the location where the story takes place, I don't know how you can view it as anything but a positive.

Takei has actual, first-hand experience in the milieu where the story takes place so he's a valuable asset in creating authenticity, and he's a powerful actor with a commanding voice. He'll do a great job, and the production will undoubtedly be better for it.

After my disappointment with how the first season ended, George is one of the big reasons that will motivate me to watch the second.
post #115 of 154 Old 12-19-2018, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Considering the location where the story takes place, I don't know how you can view it as anything but a positive.

Takei has actual, first-hand experience in the milieu where the story takes place so he's a valuable asset in creating authenticity, and he's a powerful actor with a commanding voice. He'll do a great job, and the production will undoubtedly be better for it.

After my disappointment with how the first season ended, George is one of the big reasons that will motivate me to watch the second.
I understand the backstory with Takei and his current passion for this subject. I guess I'm hoping they can find the right balance between the storytelling and the message.

post #116 of 154 Old 12-19-2018, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

so the supernatural threat this season will be Mr. Sulu!
post #117 of 154 Old 04-08-2019, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

AMC announced on Monday that the next installment of its horror-infused anthology, The Terror: Infamy, will arrive on Monday, Aug. 12th...Set during World War II, The Terror: Infamy centers on a series of bizarre deaths that haunt a Japanese-American community — and a young man’s journey to understand and combat the malevolent entity responsible...
replayrob likes this.
post #118 of 154 Old 04-08-2019, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 3174 Post(s)
Liked: 2965
Quote:
the terror: Infamy will premiere on monday, aug. 12 at 9/8c on amc
fyi ...........

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #119 of 154 Old 04-08-2019, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked: 1473
Not planning to watch this new season.

It's the same show in title only. Nothing against this particular forthcoming season, but just as I don't watch most shows that come out, this is just like any other new show. I pick a fairly small crop of new shows to invest my time in and then hope for the best.

Who knows, this one might turn out to be something good. But if it does, that positive outcome will have no creative connection and nothing to do with the first season.
post #120 of 154 Old 04-08-2019, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post
Not planning to watch this new season.

It's the same show in title only. Nothing against this particular forthcoming season, but just as I don't watch most shows that come out, this is just like any other new show. I pick a fairly small crop of new shows to invest my time in and then hope for the best.

Who knows, this one might turn out to be something good. But if it does, that positive outcome will have no creative connection and nothing to do with the first season.
even though they say it's an anthology with no connection to the first season I have a feeling they might try and work in a connection to the magical polar bear creature...WW2 sounds like a good place for weird things to happen...

Last edited by TitusTroy; 04-09-2019 at 12:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page