AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   HDTV Programming (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hdtv-programming/)
-   -   The Terror on AMC HD (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hdtv-programming/2965262-terror-amc-hd.html)

TitusTroy 03-20-2018 07:30 PM

The Terror on AMC HD

Produced by Alien director Ridley Scott, the show is based on Dan Simmons’ 2007 novel of the same name...in 1845 two British ships, the HMS Erebus and HMS Terror, get trapped in the ice as they search for the Northern Passage, and their crews face bitter cold temperatures, illness, and dwindling supplies...it’s not long before they realize that there might be something else killing them: an unseen, massive monster that seems to be stalking and picking them off one by one...I like the cast headlined by Jared Harris, Ciaran Hinds and Tobias Menzies...

10 episode first season premieres March 26th on AMC...

baja7475 03-20-2018 08:09 PM

I will definitely watch this. I love historical dramas. The costumes, set and cinematography look great.

TitusTroy 03-20-2018 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baja7475 (Post 55892170)
I will definitely watch this. I love historical dramas. The costumes, set and cinematography look great.

has a sort of Master and Commander meets The Thing vibe :p ...I agree that the setting and atmosphere look great

NetworkTV 03-20-2018 09:46 PM

Supposedly, the prevailing theory is the crews in the real incident died of lead poisoning from the tinned food they consumed.

However, others dispute the findings because the high lead levels found in the bones of of the sailors actually was about normal for the period due to all the avenues of exposure most people had back then. Heck, lead was even used to sweeten wine back then.

TitusTroy 03-20-2018 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NetworkTV (Post 55892622)
Supposedly, the prevailing theory is the crews in the real incident died of lead poisoning from the tinned food they consumed.

However, others dispute the findings because the high lead levels found in the bones of of the sailors actually was about normal for the period due to all the avenues of exposure most people had back then. Heck, lead was even used to sweeten wine back then.

you spoiled the entire series! :p

Garrett Adams 03-21-2018 06:29 PM

Many characters ate lead in the early years of 1930's gangster shows.;)

RayGuy 03-22-2018 01:15 PM

Sounds like your typical closed room scenario. I hope they just do a 10 ep series and stop. I can't imagine this being a good candidate for extension beyond that. Frankly, even 10 episodes will probably be full of filler eps. American Horror Story concept rip-off? I'll set it up to record and give it a try, as I also like period pieces. It'll be a good test of the white balance on my TV!

archiguy 03-22-2018 01:32 PM

Yeah, I don't see how this could go beyond one season -- unless the monster stows away and travels back with the survivors, then terrorizes London next year...?

replayrob 03-22-2018 01:41 PM

Looks interesting, I'm in for the first episode at lest.

Jarred Harris played "David Robert Jones" on Fringe... he was excellent in that role.

TitusTroy 03-22-2018 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by replayrob (Post 55902574)
Jarred Harris played "David Robert Jones" on Fringe... he was excellent in that role.

he's also in The Expanse (Anderson Dawes)...he's a great character actor who's been in quite a few popular shows and movies...he's also the son of the late great Richard Harris

archiguy 03-22-2018 02:38 PM

And Tobias Menzies was a regular on Starz's 'Outlander', as well as a zillion other things you've seen. And Ciaran Hinds... Great cast, that's for sure.

RayGuy 03-22-2018 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by archiguy (Post 55902506)
Yeah, I don't see how this could go beyond one season -- unless the monster stows away and travels back with the survivors, then terrorizes London next year...?

Polar Bearwolf of London?

NetworkTV 03-23-2018 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayGuy (Post 55903994)
Polar Bearwolf of London?

...or The Space Vampires............aka: Lifeforce?

RayGuy 03-23-2018 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NetworkTV (Post 55907204)
...or The Space Vampires............aka: Lifeforce?

Love at first sight ...

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=...21-520.jpg&f=1

replayrob 03-23-2018 04:18 PM

Or the original "Terror From Beyond Space"....

https://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/[email protected]_V1_.jpg

RayGuy 03-23-2018 04:38 PM

Rakesh.S 03-25-2018 11:14 PM

Caught the first episode tonight. The "horror" scenes were harrowing, but the episode overall felt a bit uneven. Will tune in tomorrow night for episode 2.

TitusTroy 03-26-2018 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rakesh.S (Post 55921206)
Caught the first episode tonight. The "horror" scenes were harrowing, but the episode overall felt a bit uneven. Will tune in tomorrow night for episode 2.

how did you see it early?...I thought the 2 episode premiere was tonight?

Rakesh.S 03-26-2018 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitusTroy (Post 55922354)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rakesh.S (Post 55921206)

how did you see it early?...I thought the 2 episode premiere was tonight?

There was a sneak preview of episode 1 last night after the walking dead. Guide showed walking dead as a 2 hour episode but it was really 1 hour, followed by the terror.

archiguy 03-26-2018 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rakesh.S (Post 55922620)
There was a sneak preview of episode 1 last night after the walking dead. Guide showed walking dead as a 2 hour episode but it was really 1 hour, followed by the terror.

"Sneak" preview indeed. That's a pretty sneaky way of AMC to increase the show's sampling.

John Mason 03-26-2018 12:33 PM

Review: ‘The Terror,’ or ‘Alien’ in the Arctic. Sort of so-so impression from the NYT, but I scheduled the series anyway. -- John

Egan 03-26-2018 02:11 PM

An expedition to find a NW passage in the Arctic would take place in the summertime, when it would be daylight almost all the time, but they're showing night scenes, did the writers not think of this or am I being too picky?

John Mason 03-27-2018 08:44 AM

Intrigued to read about jury rigging Victorian-era wooden ships with locomotive engines for ice breaking in the NYT review (2 posts earlier). A guy donned underwater gear to examine a ship's damaged propeller, they had shots of ice breaking and a large shipboard oil tank, too. -- John

Don S 03-27-2018 08:55 AM

Wow, that was quite an engaging 2 hour premiere. A pretty good sense of dread started to develop, and I found the day to day life and workings of this type of ship in this time very interesting. I can't even imagine surviving that long in that cold, in the Artic. I like the actors as well. I'll be watching ...

lobosrul 03-27-2018 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Egan (Post 55924428)
An expedition to find a NW passage in the Arctic would take place in the summertime, when it would be daylight almost all the time, but they're showing night scenes, did the writers not think of this or am I being too picky?

The wreck of the actual HMS Terror was discovered just a bit into the Arctic circle. So if it was late summer, say first of September, yes it would've been dark for several hours. The minimum each year for Arctic ice is actually not around midsummer, but about mid Sept, almost the start of fall.

"The date of the minimum ice extent for 2017 was two days earlier than the average minimum date of September 15. The earliest annual sea ice minimum in the satellite record occurred on September 5 in the years 1980 and 1987, and the latest on September 23, 1997."

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/20...imum-extent-2/

gwsat 03-27-2018 06:41 PM

My daughter said she and my son in law plan to watch The Terror, so I have decided to give the show a shot too. I think the tale told in Season 1 is likely to be finished by season's end. The series is apparently supposed to be an anthology, so I suspect that Season 2 (if there is a Season 2) will be a separate story with a lot of new actors, if not a whole new cast.

replayrob 03-28-2018 12:02 PM

Watched the first two episodes last night.... wanted more!

Very well done, feels authentic (not that I was around back then :p ).

I wouldn't even mind if there wasn't something threatening them... just a period drama of an Arctic expedition doomed to fail.
Like one of the characters said "this place wants us dead!".... no need for a menacing fictional creature/whatever... just man vs. mother nature would be sufficient.

archiguy 03-28-2018 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by replayrob (Post 55935750)
I wouldn't even mind if there wasn't something threatening them... just a period drama of an Arctic expedition doomed to fail.
Like one of the characters said "this place wants us dead!".... no need for a menacing fictional creature/whatever... just man vs. mother nature would be sufficient.

Try the harrowing Shackleton expedition of 1914-16. :eek: It's amazing what nominally sane men would do in the great Age of Exploration.

replayrob 03-28-2018 12:29 PM

^ yeah, read the book about the Shackleton expedition a few years back... that's why this series interests me.

It was absolutely amazing what Shackleton and his men endured... and live through!

archiguy 03-28-2018 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by replayrob (Post 55935918)
It was absolutely amazing what Shackleton and his men endured... and live through!

They even had to eat their doggies! :( That's cold, man.