29Likes

post #1 of 39 Old 03-22-2018, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 796
SEAL Team - CBS

Looked for an existing thread... certainly not great but it is (for me) a cut above the majority of the similar themed series. Enough so I'll look for it on my DVR versus running across the others. Rotten Tomatoes' AVERAGE AUDIENCE SCORE 79% liked it, it's 6th by viewers and 13th by 18-48 demo for the season so I'm guessing it will be renewed. As the season progressed it has gotten better (last episode was by far the best) largely because they no longer have to "set up" or define the characters and can let the story line play out.

With David Boreanaz (Bones) and Jessica Paré (Mad Men) it takes a few episodes before you stop thinking don't I know you... Overall I enjoy it enough that I don't binge watch it... as I typically catch it the night it airs and find it interesting enough it can stand on its own one episode at a time... which is getting less and less frequent.

shivaji likes this.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K Monitor |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 03-22-2018, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Been a fan since the start Hope it does come back.

Jerry
post #3 of 39 Old 03-23-2018, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Also a fan from the beginning. Look forward to it every week.
cyfman likes this.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 03-23-2018, 11:58 AM

Six on National Geographic Channel season 2 is coming back soon

Jerry
post #5 of 39 Old 03-23-2018, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Fan since day 1, hope it comes back
post #6 of 39 Old 12-13-2018, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 90
So, is no one watching this any more? We're still enjoying it. However, we're wondering what is up with red 'powder puff' when someone gets shot. Is this just some poor special effect? Are they saying that blood is getting atomized with the shell pierces the body? Looks pretty silly if you ask me.

Steve
"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
My DVDs
My Theater
Theater Construction Album

post #7 of 39 Old 12-13-2018, 08:13 AM

I'm still in
JoeTiVo likes this.

Jerry
post #8 of 39 Old 12-13-2018, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTiVo View Post
However, we're wondering what is up with red 'powder puff' when someone gets shot.
I simply take it as visual proof (feedback) they killed them... it is rather weird.

For me the show comes and goes. At times I really enjoy it and other times it drops back to your typical TV series. Looks like the ratings are so-so which leaves season three in doubt. The Fall Finale arc was fairly strong and accomplished one thing if nothing else... my belief from day one that Jason and Amanda would eventually "hook up" Not quite yet however that hug was a good start.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
post #9 of 39 Old 12-13-2018, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

We figured the same thing that it was a just a visual confirmation of a hit. But it really just seems over the top and not realistic. It's their show though.

I agree, the show goes through stages, but overall an entertaining enough production, for what it is.

Steve
My DVDs
My Theater

post #10 of 39 Old 12-14-2018, 06:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think the red blood spray is what actually happens when a high-velocity round hits the human body. I've seen the same special effect in other movies.
JoeTiVo and shivaji like this.

post #11 of 39 Old 12-14-2018, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I think the red blood spray is what actually happens when a high-velocity round hits the human body. I've seen the same special effect in other movies.

That's what I was wondering... if maybe they were just trying to be more realistic. I've never shot anyone with a high velocity round, so I can't speak from experience.

Steve
My DVDs
My Theater

post #12 of 39 Old 12-14-2018, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's what I was wondering... if maybe they were just trying to be more realistic. I've never shot anyone with a high velocity round, so I can't speak from experience.
So I guess when you're shooting people, you only use low velocity rounds?
JoeTiVo likes this.

post #13 of 39 Old 12-14-2018, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That's what I was wondering... if maybe they were just trying to be more realistic.
There is this...

To tell the story of one of the military's most covert units the show partnered up with real-life former members of the special forces.

"The majority of our time has been spent in the writers' room crafting stories," said former Navy SEAL Mark Semos. He and former U.S. Army special operations soldier Tyler Grey offered their guidance on and off screen.

"What we're trying to do as a group is make something that's not real, obviously, but make something that's authentic and that feels authentic," Grey said.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/seal-te...fe-navy-seals/

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Trivia/SEALTeam

The show's military advisors, Tyler Grey (ex-Delta) and Mark Semons (ex-SEAL), pull double duty playing Trent and Keith, additional members of Bravo Team. Also acting in the series is a former US Army Green Beret, Dan Briggs, also an advisor.
Justin Melnick, who plays Brock, Bravo Team's canine handler, is a police canine handler (and Dita's actual owner & trainer).

Looking around I noticed Jim Caviezel was originally cast as Jason and reportedly left over creative differences. I wonder if the real reason he left is because a bigger name became available...

I find it interesting that some of the guys are "real"... a few times I have been watching the mission and thought to myself that guy looks "badass"... and I'm guessing it was one of the real "heroes"
cyfman and JoeTiVo like this.

Last edited by Charles R; 12-14-2018 at 10:52 AM.
post #14 of 39 Old 12-14-2018, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
So I guess when you're shooting people, you only use low velocity rounds?

Exactly.

Steve
My DVDs
My Theater

post #15 of 39 Old 12-14-2018, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 37
This is one of my favorite shows. I hope it can stay alive past this season!
cyfman and Wacojoe like this.
post #16 of 39 Old 12-14-2018, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgourlie View Post
This is one of my favorite shows. I hope it can stay alive past this season!

I still enjoy this show but the entire Mexico storyline was redundant in relation to other shows. Ncis LA was in Mexico as well as SWAT and Criminal Minds. Can we all not play follow the leader plus there’s plenty of actors looking for work one week the “bad guy” was the same actor on two different shows.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #17 of 39 Old 12-14-2018, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked: 1068
That red spray seen in Seal Team has been referred to elsewhere in movies as, "the pink mist." I for the most part also enjoy the show

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...rm=pink%20mist
JoeTiVo likes this.
post #18 of 39 Old 12-14-2018, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomo657 View Post
I still enjoy this show but the entire Mexico storyline was redundant in relation to other shows. Ncis LA was in Mexico as well as SWAT and Criminal Minds.
Only if you watch the other shows... luckily I don't.
Wacojoe likes this.

post #19 of 39 Old 12-18-2018, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Count me and the wife in watching each week. We also find turning on CC as very helpful because the dialog is quick and often covered up and some of the terms of art used by the military incorporated into the show need reading and looking up. Boreanaz is a bit old for the part but carries it off well, we think. Seal Team was the best of the three similarly themed shows from last year, and we hope it continues on for a bit. Even accounting for some Hollywood puffery, I cannot imagine how we get people to do these jobs. We have a member of the family who is an Air Force Forward Controller on an elite team and who comes back with medals. I cringe at what he does and hope his wife does not watch this show. She tries to stay as oblivious as she can to keep her sanity.
JoeTiVo likes this.
post #20 of 39 Old 02-02-2019, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey, I generally like Seal Team. But, I think the show could rise to a new level if they would get the heck rid of Jessica Paré. She might be good as a valley girl nurse in a hospital drama, but I don't find the valley girl CIA analyst thing to be believable. I have to mute the audio every time she speaks, thus I miss some of the dialog. The best episode of Season 2 was Ep 1 because she had minimal face time. I know some people probably like her, but I think she mis-cast. She just doesn't have the talent for such a primary role. Just my opinion.
post #21 of 39 Old 02-04-2019, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boberan View Post
I know some people probably like her, but I think she mis-cast.
I like her for the very reason she is different than what the networks typically cast. I liked her in Mad Men too. Our series have a "oneness" about their casts and I find it rather boring compared to other countries. There appears to be a dozen actors playing every part. Now whether she comes across as "qualified" is open to debate. I have no issue with her take as the world is changing and her representation seems to blend in with a lot of what I see in the real world.

post #22 of 39 Old 03-29-2019, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked: 1068
Anyone see the last episode of Seal Team? The dynamics and surround effects were slamming in a couple of scenes during it. Some of the best I've heard in a tv show.
cyfman likes this.
post #23 of 39 Old 03-29-2019, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Glad this is finally back after the long layoff. Very well done show and would be even better if they could lose Jessica Pare and her valley girl silly talk while acting all "in charge". On the other hand, I sure hope they don't lose Davis' story as she leaves for OCS. She is great and her relationship with Sonny is hysterical.
shivaji likes this.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #24 of 39 Old 03-29-2019, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
Anyone see the last episode of Seal Team?
I caught it and think it's one of the better episodes although the mission story arc wasn't as well played out (not as realistic) as some of the others. Although I'll give them points for being unsuccessful... rather refreshing.

Regarding the audio I viewed it in the den (not the dedicated room) but did notice I had to watch the volume as the bass was rather heavy. Don't want to wake the wife and have her come downstairs as that will be a real scary mission.

post #25 of 39 Old 03-30-2019, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 217
The Ospreys was a real “get” for the show, and the covering fire from the helicopters was awesome. This was one of the better episodes for action. Always look forward to this show.
cyfman and shivaji like this.
post #26 of 39 Old 03-31-2019, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Good episode with Great Surround Audio, the Gun on the in-coming attacking Chopper was really good....
shivaji likes this.
post #27 of 39 Old 04-11-2019, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

I think last night's episode was one of the better ones of the series. Hated to see Clay thrown around like that although it did add to the series per se... bringing reality a little closer. I know it's crazy but to some degree I think they should have killed two of the regulars. Not that I'd want to see them go rather it would enforce the inherent danger of their jobs adding that suspense to their missions. With two they wouldn't be able to focus on both loses rather they would have to simply carry on... again bringing the show closer to reality. Now I understand it's TV (largely with its own rules) and I'm willing to go along to a large degree... that is until x missions without any consequences. If you don't want any you should have made them superheroes. Or at least keep them out of gun fights (like a few episodes back) where the enemy bullets don't count.

Regarding Clay I hope he survives and is reunited with Stella. Something good happens out of something bad... now that his Seal days are over hopefully they can live happily ever after.

Last edited by Charles R; 04-11-2019 at 12:16 PM.
post #28 of 39 Old 04-25-2019, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

I was surprised by last night's episode. It came across as we are taking time out to discuss veterans' care. The poignancy of going to any length/sacrifice to bring the soldier's body back (home) and their post service treatment or lack of was very powerful. I don't feel it was an assault on the VA rather the system itself as it is currently structured. And unfortunately regardless of how well it may be governed there will be far too many cases where the individual doesn't receive the care they require for a variety of reasons.
mchief99 likes this.

Last edited by Charles R; 04-25-2019 at 11:19 AM.
post #29 of 39 Old 04-25-2019, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1778 Post(s)
Liked: 1761
I think it's a complete disgrace how our amazing men and women sacrifice their health and mental well being for our country and that is how they are "taken care of." I know way too many men that have served that have to rely on the VA and it's pathetic the way they are treated. Or actually not treated would be a more accurate description in most cases.

Our country spends endless amounts of money on the military, but treats it's soldiers as disposable. Very sad.

My deepest sympathies go out to those that have lost loved ones because of conditions like this.
cyfman, shivaji, JoeTiVo and 1 others like this.
post #30 of 39 Old 05-02-2019, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Really enjoying the end of the season. Not exactly uplifting by any means however they are intertwining the various arcs together which reflects the complex aspect of the overall theme of the nicely tied together recent episodes. I like how they are not "preaching" rather exposing the numerous factors that go into creating the crisis. Quite a lot of gray for your typical network procedural. For my liking the more the better.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page