55Likes

post #1 of 70 Old 03-23-2018, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1846 Post(s)
Liked: 2165
The Rain on Netflix

Official trailer. Looks pretty good. I will be checking this one out for sure.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 Old 03-23-2018, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Looks very interesting!
post #3 of 70 Old 04-23-2018, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4140 Post(s)
Liked: 3692
this actually looks pretty interesting...WilliamR seems to post a thread about every Netflix show in the hope that something sticks...but this one actually looks good...The Rain is Netflix's first Danish original series...Netflix nailed their first German series- Dark...this definitely has potential as well...I love the post-apocalyptic setting and the rain as the carrier of the virus looks interesting...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 70 Old 04-24-2018, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 611
I'll be watching .. :-)
post #5 of 70 Old 04-24-2018, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 5882 Post(s)
Liked: 6466
What's the over/under on how it will take before the inevitable Americanized version pops up somewhere? I'll probably just wait for that one so as not to have to deal with subtitles.
post #6 of 70 Old 04-24-2018, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked: 2040
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
What's the over/under on how it will take before the inevitable Americanized version pops up somewhere? I'll probably just wait for that one so as not to have to deal with subtitles.
Well, if what you meant was the lesser quality American version, then I think we already had that with "The Happening". It just had death in the form of the wind instead of rain.

That movie reminded me of "The Day After Tomorrow" where they were literally running away from the cold at one point.
TitusTroy likes this.
post #7 of 70 Old 04-24-2018, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
Well, if what you meant was the lesser quality American version, then I think we already had that with "The Happening". It just had death in the form of the wind instead of rain.

That movie reminded me of "The Day After Tomorrow" where they were literally running away from the cold at one point.
exactly...the foreign version will most likely always be the superior one...the American copycat will just be dumbed down to cater to the American audience
unretarded likes this.
post #8 of 70 Old 04-24-2018, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
exactly...the foreign version will most likely always be the superior one...the American copycat will just be dumbed down to cater to the American audience
As an American I'm pretty sure I've been insulted. When I figure out how, I will be suitably offended.
archiguy, aaronwt, gomo657 and 6 others like this.
post #9 of 70 Old 04-25-2018, 04:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Quote:

Drats. I wasn't paying close enough attention apparently to the preview. I heard the voice-over in English and I assumed it was in English. Oh well. I will probably wait, given this.
post #10 of 70 Old 04-25-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Now that I disagree with.

There are plenty of Americanized shows that have been just as good or even better than their overseas originals. "Shameless" and "Veep" are two that immediately come to mind. Your could even argue for "House of Cards" and "American Idol". The American version of "Being Human" would probably be better mainly because the British version kind of fell off the rails at one point.
thehun likes this.
post #11 of 70 Old 04-25-2018, 07:56 AM

And let's not forget 'The Office'. Much better than the original British version. You win some, you lose some.
georgeorwell likes this.
post #12 of 70 Old 04-25-2018, 08:05 AM

I watched the second trailer again and one thing struck me:

Has the older version of the kid grown out of all his clothes or something? Pretty much every scene has him hanging out in his underwear - even outside. That's just....odd....especially in a world where rain is deadly. Even if he's immune to it, it's still odd.

Maybe he only dresses for dehydrated dinner....or only packed one pair of stretchy sweat pants that his mom bought a little big for him to grow into.

Last edited by NetworkTV; 04-25-2018 at 08:10 AM.
post #13 of 70 Old 04-30-2018, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

show is getting good reviews...

Get Ready For A Gripping, Binge-Worthy Post-Apocalyptic Drama
http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/cult/re...etflix-review/

Netflix's The Rain Is a Fresh Take on the Post-Apocalyptic Genre
http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/04/...calyptic-genre
post #14 of 70 Old 05-07-2018, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6852 Post(s)
Liked: 15404
Added to my watch list. Will get to it when time permits.

post #15 of 70 Old 05-07-2018, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I watched the first 2 episodes...good show thus far that's held my interest...4K visuals look pretty impressive even though there's no HDR...the actress who plays Simone (Alba August) is doing a good job carrying the show

Last edited by TitusTroy; 05-07-2018 at 07:35 PM.
post #16 of 70 Old 05-07-2018, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked: 840
Quote:
Why, when there are several language versions available. Danish is the original, but there are dubs in other languages, English being one of them.

Worth watching.

"You're Sherlock Holmes, wear the damn hat!" - Watson to Sherlock
Sherlock - The Abominable Bride - 1/01/16
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
post #17 of 70 Old 05-07-2018, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Just started watching. I got the English dub version automatically. It sounds like Danes are doing the voice work? So far that seems a bit less jarring than other dubs I've heard.
post #18 of 70 Old 05-07-2018, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCrow View Post
Just started watching. I got the English dub version automatically. It sounds like Danes are doing the voice work? So far that seems a bit less jarring than other dubs I've heard.
the English dubbing is excellent...so much so that it sounds like the actors themselves are doing the English dubbing...even if its not the same actors they are definitely Danish actors doing it which gives it a much more realistic touch
post #19 of 70 Old 05-08-2018, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1846 Post(s)
Liked: 2165
One episode in and I really like it already. Although I do have a thing for post apocalyptic type shows/movies. Will definitely try to get to more of these soon, just so much on right now it is getting hard.

post #20 of 70 Old 05-08-2018, 04:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked: 1611
After seeing Dark, I was really interested in this one. I have only watched 2 episodes but I like it quite a bit. Looking forward to watching the other 6 episodes.
post #21 of 70 Old 05-08-2018, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've watched the first 5 episodes...it's a good show...well acted, great setting- the creepy forests and post-apocalyptic streets of Denmark and Sweden...another foreign show with a fantastic lead actress (Alba August)...Netflix is doing a good job getting these actors more name recognition abroad...lots of talented actors outside of the USA...the show itself follows some familiar tropes and beats of other post-apocalyptic movies/TV shows but it's still enjoyable...I like that they're actively searching for a cure...looking forward to the final 3 episodes
Keenan likes this.
post #22 of 70 Old 05-09-2018, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I finished watching the series last night...I liked it but was expecting more with the ending...I wanted some major twist or revelation...it felt rather by-the-books and nothing really shocked me...still a well acted series with a great setting (Alba August looks like an up and coming star)...the post-apocalyptic landscape has become so numerous in movies, books, TV shows, video games that it's going to take something really special to change things up...The Rain felt like a combination of every other story in the genre...the constant flashbacks every episode to a different member of the group's backstory got a bit old towards the end...Episodes 1 and 6 were my favorites...I give it a solid B+

it's great to see Netflix investing in so much original content from overseas (Germany, Denmark, Brazil etc)...so many great writers, actors, directors etc that sometimes don't get the opportunity to show their talent to the world
gomo657 likes this.
post #23 of 70 Old 05-09-2018, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3775 Post(s)
Liked: 3464
Yes, I really enjoy seeing new faces and talents and not having a problem with subtitles all this world TV is very welcome on my screen.
Brian Conrad and gomo657 like this.
post #24 of 70 Old 05-09-2018, 12:05 PM

I used to have an inherent issue with subtitles. I felt that watching a movie/show with them "took me out" of the action, that I would miss stuff in the scene because my eyes were focused in the wrong place. But as I find myself increasingly having to turn on the closed-captioning just to make out the dialog in this new era of mumbling actors, in scenes heavy with either ambient background sound or heavy-handed soundtracks, I'm starting to wonder if my aversion to foreign films with subtitles makes sense anymore...?
Keenan and jashotwe1 like this.
post #25 of 70 Old 05-09-2018, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
I used to have an inherent issue with subtitles. I felt that watching a movie/show with them "took me out" of the action, that I would miss stuff in the scene because my eyes were focused in the wrong place. But as I find myself increasingly having to turn on the closed-captioning just to make out the dialog in this new era of mumbling actors, in scenes heavy with either ambient background sound or heavy-handed soundtracks, I'm starting to wonder if my aversion to foreign films with subtitles makes sense anymore...?
I've been doing that more often myself lately, turning on subs for English language content because I can't catch what they're saying. Oddly enough, doing that with English content takes me out of the action more than with foreign language content, go figure.
post #26 of 70 Old 05-09-2018, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
it definitely takes getting used to and I also somewhat feel like I'm missing the actors expressions or nuances of a scene because I'm so focused on the subtitles...plus nowadays the subtitles seem to only show up for a brief nanosecond so it's pretty much like I'm reading a book...that being said listening to actors in their native tongue is mostly the best way...there are a few exceptions where the English dubbing is good- I thought Dark on Netflix had excellent dubbing...with The Rain, the dubbing was so good I'm still trying to find out if the actual actors recorded their lines in English for the dub...it was flawless...
Keenan likes this.
post #27 of 70 Old 05-09-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
.there are a few exceptions where the English dubbing is good- I thought Dark on Netflix had excellent dubbing...with The Rain, the dubbing was so good I'm still trying to find out if the actual actors recorded their lines in English for the dub...it was flawless...
Was the dubbing accented? Or did it sound like native Americans doing the dubbing? Sometimes the foreign actors' English is so perfectly devoid of accent you can't tell English is not their first language. Joel Kinnaman comes immediately to mind.

And I'm always amazed at how the plethora of British & Australian actors working in Hollywood productions can so easily shed their native accents for their work, yet lapse right back into them when doing interviews. Sometimes I'm absolutely gobsmacked to discover they're not Yanks.
post #28 of 70 Old 05-09-2018, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Was the dubbing accented? Or did it sound like native Americans doing the dubbing? Sometimes the foreign actors' English is so perfectly devoid of accent you can't tell English is not their first language. Joel Kinnaman comes immediately to mind
the dubbing definitely had that distinctive native accent...the way they pronounced certain letters and names were pure Danish...the way the Simone character said the name 'Rasmus' was a good example

I agree that certain foreign actors have perfected their English accent...Andrew Lincoln is another example...but once you find out the actor in question is native to another country you almost immediately start seeing the flaws in their accent... ...it's almost as if the mind doesn't want to accept that their accent is that good
post #29 of 70 Old 05-09-2018, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

If I were I to even watch something with English dubbing I definitely would not want it to be anyone other than the actual actor themselves. What happens when the actor speaks in English, which happens quite often in European content and happens in this very show, and they don't sound anything like the voice doing the English dubbing? To me, that would very distracting. Subtitles are fine, it takes awhile to get used to, but you eventually do and you don't even really notice that that's how you're watching the show.
TitusTroy likes this.
post #30 of 70 Old 05-09-2018, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
it definitely takes getting used to and I also somewhat feel like I'm missing the actors expressions or nuances of a scene because I'm so focused on the subtitles...plus nowadays the subtitles seem to only show up for a brief nanosecond so it's pretty much like I'm reading a book...that being said listening to actors in their native tongue is mostly the best way...there are a few exceptions where the English dubbing is good- I thought Dark on Netflix had excellent dubbing...with The Rain, the dubbing was so good I'm still trying to find out if the actual actors recorded their lines in English for the dub...it was flawless...
My guess would be it's the actual actors doing the English dubbing, or at least the main characters. Many Europeans are more linguistically proficient in English as a second language than we Americans are with it as a first language.
archiguy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming