"Killing Eve" on BBC America and AMC - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 100Likes

post #1 of 172 Old 04-17-2018, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked: 1418
"Killing Eve" on BBC America and AMC

Is anyone else watching this quirky British spy agent show staring Sandra Oh? I love the dark humor, Euro-centric music score, and the development of the psychopath assassin's character so far. It's gotten very good reviews, with an aggregate Metacritic score of 83.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 172 Old 04-17-2018, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Yes, I've watched the first 2 episodes. Jodie Comer as assassin Villanelle is beautiful and scary at the same time. I didn't watch Grey's Anatomy, but Sandra Oh is definitely a good, albeit quirky, lead.

Supporting cast is also strong. Slow build with lots of character development but I think we're getting to good stuff now. Very British! Pip, pip, and all that.
post #3 of 172 Old 04-17-2018, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked: 1618
Watched the first and have recorded the second. A bit unsure about whether I like this or not.
Will probably give it at least one more show unless the second one is bad.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 172 Old 04-17-2018, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm assuming the show develops in unexpected ways. A season-long cat-and-mouse game between with Eve and the assassin will get old fast. My theory is ...
Spoiler!
post #5 of 172 Old 04-17-2018, 11:10 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3745 Post(s)
Liked: 3443
Seen the first two and I'm definitely all in for this one. I too, especially enjoy the quirkiness of it and the music is great as is the humor.
Zookster likes this.
post #6 of 172 Old 04-23-2018, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 34
3rd show not as good

I loved the first two episodes to the point of watching them again online. But the third show was a disappointment to me. It lacked the subtle, clever, small plot details of the first two. The music score didn't seem as integrated. The Chinese guy was just overacted compared to the other characters. The third show seemed more like a standard "spy" show than the first two.

I won't watch the third show over, but I'll keep tuning in to see if they return to the quality of the first shows.
post #7 of 172 Old 04-23-2018, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy2160 View Post
I loved the first two episodes to the point of watching them again online. But the third show was a disappointment to me. It lacked the subtle, clever, small plot details of the first two. The music score didn't seem as integrated. The Chinese guy was just overacted compared to the other characters. The third show seemed more like a standard "spy" show than the first two.

I won't watch the third show over, but I'll keep tuning in to see if they return to the quality of the first shows.
I agree. The British agent lacked any intelligence as well. It was obvious that it was a trap. The killer is made too lucky as she gets more and more brazen.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #8 of 172 Old 04-23-2018, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The first two, especially the second, episodes focused a lot on developing Villanelle's quirky psychopathic character and her elaborate assassination schemes. Let's face it, Eve just isn't that interesting, nor are her colleagues.

I agree about the music score and the Chinese intelligence official, both seemed a bit forced in this episode, like trying too hard. Even the scenes with Villanelle and her newest toy, the older woman Pamela, seemed a bit forced.

At any rate, it was quite a shocking ending, and showed that no character is immortal in this show (except of course for Eve and Villanelle).

One niggling question for me is how did Villanelle's people find out about Eve's little group in London that's looking into her? It's totally off-book and the only people who should know about it are the four or five people in the group, including the woman who put it together. When Villanelle was told about it by her handler, he said they didn't know how much they knew about Villanelle (or something to that effect), which means one of the people in the group couldn't be the mole, since they all know how far the investigation has gotten. My suspicion is Eve's husband is working for Villanelle's people. He asks a lot of questions, though I don't know how he would know Eve is working on Villanelle's case, since she doesn't discuss particulars. Perhaps he put two-and-two together based on her needing help with the Polish translations and that first case.
post #9 of 172 Old 04-23-2018, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
One niggling question for me is how did Villanelle's people find out about Eve's little group in London that's looking into her? It's totally off-book and the only people who should know about it are the four or five people in the group, including the woman who put it together. When Villanelle was told about it by her handler, he said they didn't know how much they knew about Villanelle (or something to that effect), which means one of the people in the group couldn't be the mole, since they all know how far the investigation has gotten. My suspicion is Eve's husband is working for Villanelle's people. He asks a lot of questions, though I don't know how he would know Eve is working on Villanelle's case, since she doesn't discuss particulars. Perhaps he put two-and-two together based on her needing help with the Polish translations and that first case.
Yes. Must be a spy and hubby is probably prime suspect #1 .
I'm pretty shocked at how cavalier Eve et. al. are after learning that Villanelle are on to her.

post #10 of 172 Old 04-23-2018, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Good Show with a good amount of potential. Enjoying it so far.
No sense that there is massively out of this world acting or writing
but definitly soaking in "Brit-Quirky-ness" (which is wonderful).

Not sure how long they can pull this feeling off that
I'm not just watching the same old TV show again.
post #11 of 172 Old 04-23-2018, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Quote:
The first two, especially the second, episodes focused a lot on developing Villanelle's quirky psychopathic character and her elaborate assassination schemes. Let's face it, Eve just isn't that interesting, nor are her colleagues.
Can't help thinking of Bart, the even quirkier assassin on Dirk Gently.

But did she really need to use the ladies room after killing 4 people in the hospital?

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #12 of 172 Old 04-23-2018, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Can't help thinking of Bart, the even quirkier assassin on Dirk Gently.

But did she really need to use the ladies room after killing 4 people in the hospital?
She was in the restroom with Eve before the killings. Eve was at the hospital room entrance up until she got up to use the restroom where she saw Villanelle, who didn't have any blood on her. I think Villanelle was using the restroom to put on her "disguise."
post #13 of 172 Old 04-24-2018, 03:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
She was in the restroom with Eve before the killings. Eve was at the hospital room entrance up until she got up to use the restroom where she saw Villanelle, who didn't have any blood on her. I think Villanelle was using the restroom to put on her "disguise."
That makes sense - I mis-remembered Eve leaving the rest room and finding the bodies right after their encounter...

CC

post #14 of 172 Old 04-24-2018, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 4417 Post(s)
Liked: 5720
Quote:

Like you, I really enjoyed the first two episodes but Episode 3 disappointed me. I saw the episode's obvious Big Finish coming from the time Bill made his ill advised decision to follow the monumentally lethal Villanelle (Jodie Comer) out of the U-Bahn station. Big mistake! At first I was so turned off, I thought I would cancel my season pass but after mature reflection have decided to stick with it for a while longer. Comer and Sandra Oh have both been delightful so I'll stick around.

The charming and beautiful but psychopathic Villanelle is unique in my experience. I usually expect lead characters who are professional killers, like Jack Bauer (24) and Mitch Rapp (American Assassin), to be noble heroes, driven to what they do by pure motives and killing only those who "deserve killin". That's not Villanelle, to say the least.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #15 of 172 Old 04-24-2018, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't think Bill's demise was meant to be a shock to the audience, more of a wake-up call to Eve and the team that they'd better start taking the situation more seriously. Eve doesn't even seem to realize how her suitcase disappeared - the one her husband made her label with her home address in case she lost it...

CC

post #16 of 172 Old 04-24-2018, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
I don't think Bill's demise was meant to be a shock to the audience, more of a wake-up call to Eve and the team that they'd better start taking the situation more seriously. Eve doesn't even seem to realize how her suitcase disappeared - the one her husband made her label with her home address in case she lost it...
It might not have been a shock but was a disappointment in my view.
After the first two episodes I was getting to like Bill and his demeanor with Eve.
gwsat likes this.

post #17 of 172 Old 04-24-2018, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Bill's demise shocked me ... but it shouldn't have. Episode 3 spent quite a bit of time developing his character and backstory, which I initially thought meant he was an unkillable cast member -- at least not until toward the end of the season or a later season. I also thought Eve was having too much fun messing with Eve and him (though I never thought the orders from her handler not to kill anyone would stop her). But I can't tell you how many times I've seen this happen on shows like The Walking Dead where a side character suddenly gets tons of screen time in an episode, making you care that much more about him or her, only to have that character offed at the end of the same episode. It's almost become a trope in serialized dramas where regulars can get killed.
post #18 of 172 Old 04-24-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Bill's demise shocked me ... but it shouldn't have. Episode 3 spent quite a bit of time developing his character and backstory, which I initially thought meant he was an unkillable cast member -- at least not until toward the end of the season or a later season. I also thought Eve was having too much fun messing with Eve and him (though I never thought the orders from her handler not to kill anyone would stop her). But I can't tell you how many times I've seen this happen on shows like The Walking Dead where a side character suddenly gets tons of screen time in an episode, making you care that much more about him or her, only to have that character offed at the end of the same episode. It's almost become a trope in serialized dramas where regulars can get killed.
Yeah, I've made my peace with the jarring nature of Bill's death. As you said, we shouldn't have been shocked because Villanelle is a professional assassin who loves her work. Anyway, Sandra Oh and Jodie Comer are both so charming and entertaining that forgiving the writers for this bit of clumsiness was easy for me to do.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #19 of 172 Old 04-30-2018, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The show missed an opportunity to play something by the Smashing Pumpkins in the background as Villanelle ran over her ex-lover, Nadia. lol

So I guess Frank was the mole?
post #20 of 172 Old 04-30-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
The show missed an opportunity to play something by the Smashing Pumpkins in the background as Villanelle ran over her ex-lover, Nadia. lol

So I guess Frank was the mole?
Yep, Frank was the mole. Until Villanelle ran over her ex lover, Nadia, I thought she wasn't going to kill anybody in this week's show. Ha! The charming but bats*it crazy, Villanelle tickles me to death. Given Villanelle's obsession with eve, it's going to be interesting to see how their relationship develops going forward. Anyway, so far so good. I am fully onboard with Killing Eve.
Keenan, allargon and Zookster like this.

post #21 of 172 Old 05-01-2018, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked: 534
This weeks episode #4 to me was like the writers are getting lazy and trying to stretch out a thin story?

I have enjoy the show but this week found myself saying, why are 3 people taking time wondering around the house waiting to kill someone who is actually home? Just played out really silly and slow for only Frank to be smart enough to run but not smart enough to get away. The poor cell quality drawn out forever too.

I like the characters and original story line but between the commercials every 4 minutes and sloppy detective work I am falling out of favor.

Let's talk about the suitcase, if it's a killer on the lose and you have evidence why not involve the authorities? Why so rouge even if working for Mi6 as it appears quietly?

The dialog at times is hard to follow too but I am drawn to one thing... Villanelle

Hopefully next weeks amps up and delivers a solid series that has legs.

Den - LG 65 OLEDE7P - Denon AVR-X4200W - Definitive Mythos STS - ProCenter 2000 - SR-8040BP - SVS Ultra-13 - DTV 4K - XBOX One S
Media - LG 65 OLEDC8 - AVR-X4400 - KFL28F - Vienna Acoustics Center - Def GEMS Rear - Def A60 Atmos - Monitor Silver SUB - DTV 4K - XBOX One X
My YouTube Tech Channel - https://www.youtube.com/c/TechFan
post #22 of 172 Old 05-02-2018, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked: 1296
I was disappointed with the last 30-45 seconds where Eve just stood at the gate with Villanelle approaching. Doesn't Eve pack a pistol? Oh, and then the car won't start. Looney Tunes cartoons were more believable.
post #23 of 172 Old 05-05-2018, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4096 Post(s)
Liked: 3654
this is getting really good reviews...I might have to binge watch it On-Demand...I read an article which stated that each episode is getting higher ratings then the last which is highly unusual...means it's getting good word of mouth
post #24 of 172 Old 05-06-2018, 05:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
I was disappointed with the last 30-45 seconds where Eve just stood at the gate with Villanelle approaching. Doesn't Eve pack a pistol? Oh, and then the car won't start. Looney Tunes cartoons were more believable.
If she was a trained agent I'd agree with you, but she's not - she's a middle-aged desk-jockey analyst thrown into a dangerous situation she's in no way prepared for. That's the charm of the show and what makes it different from 100 others...
Keenan, gwsat and Zookster like this.

CC

post #25 of 172 Old 05-06-2018, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If she was a trained agent I'd agree with you, but she's not - she's a middle-aged desk-jockey analyst thrown into a dangerous situation she's in no way prepared for. That's the charm of the show and what makes it different from 100 others...
We'll see how it plays out tonight, but it's worth also mentioning that Eve was obsessed with profiling female killers, which is how she was put in charge of this investigation. And in that regard, Villenelle is kind of a "rock star" for Eve. And Eve knows Villenelle is obsessed with her (returning her suitcase with the new clothes, etc.) and not interested in killing her (yet). So I think it follows story-wise that Eve would try to speak with her at their first encounter rather than pull out a weapon and start firing, even if she were trained to.
cc_in_oh likes this.
post #26 of 172 Old 05-06-2018, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
We'll see how it plays out tonight, but it's worth also mentioning that Eve was obsessed with profiling female killers, which is how she was put in charge of this investigation. And in that regard, Villenelle is kind of a "rock star" for Eve. And Eve knows Villenelle is obsessed with her (returning her suitcase with the new clothes, etc.) and not interested in killing her (yet). So I think it follows story-wise that Eve would try to speak with her at their first encounter rather than pull out a weapon and start firing, even if she were trained to.
Good point, it was kind of an academic exercise for her at first. Now that it's gotten personal though Eve at one point said pretty emphatically that she wanted to kill her. Problem is, she's no match for V in head-to-head combat - I'm not even sure Eve's ever had any weapons training.

I like the observation that V wants to toy with her for a while - that may well be how Eve survives the last episode's cliffhanger...

CC

post #27 of 172 Old 05-07-2018, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

IT'S ON! Eve versus Villanelle. But only three episodes remaining in the season.

It was great to see Eve have some fight in her and call bull**** on V's attempts to manipulate her. Pretty dumb, though, to threaten to find out who she cares about and go after them when V had a knife to her throat and as her husband and that kid were arriving.

It's only a matter of time before her handler calls bull**** of V's lies as well ... or maybe that's what sending her to Russia is about.
post #28 of 172 Old 05-09-2018, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 277
After Years Of Playing The Friend, Sandra Oh Is Finally Getting To Be The Star

Terrific write up of Sandra Oh's career. I'm so happy for her; this is a role of her life. Brilliant casting and solid writing to keep us on the edge.

post #29 of 172 Old 05-13-2018, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Just heard an interesting radio review of the show that postulates that it's the dark humour that the Brits are able to do so well in productions such as this that got many of the initial viewers "hooked," but now it's the lesbian subtext that's helping to make the show mega-popular, getting it tremendous buzz in the LGBT community. And who among us, straight OR gay, wasn't already in love with Sandra Oh? BBC America have a genuine hit (no pun intended) on their hands, and this time they don't need to depend upon a time-travelling "Doctor" to get them more viewers!
allargon and Zookster like this.

Don't fear the Reaper. Fear the Repack!

Last edited by Al_the_xmtr_tech; 05-13-2018 at 06:55 AM.
post #30 of 172 Old 05-26-2018, 12:23 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3745 Post(s)
Liked: 3443
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page