The Witcher - Netflix Series - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 209Likes

post #31 of 368 Old 07-16-2019, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2158 Post(s)
Liked: 2935
Netflix's The Witcher reveals new look at Henry Cavill, now with more horse

By Nick Romano July 16, 2019 at 10:59 AM EDT

;

Netflix

Fans of Henry Cavill will appreciate another look at his wig game in Netflix’s latest photo from The Witcher. Gamers, meanwhile, will be thrilled to finally see a live-action Roach, trusty steed of Geralt.

The streaming giant debuted an onslaught of first-look images for its fantasy series based on the Witcher videogames and books at the beginning of the month. But the character rollout of Cavill’s Geralt (the titular monster hunter known as a Witcher), Anya Chalotra’s Yennefer (a sorceress), and Freya Allan’s Ciri (a mysterious young girl) did not come with the best horsey this side of The Continent.

Even Netflix had fun with that fact in revealing the animal companion on Tuesday: “You begged, we delivered. Here’s your first look at Roach!”

The fact that fans have been asking for a look at Roach shows how much love they have for The Witcher’s ride in the games. When you spend so much time traversing treacherous terrain with one living being, you get attached.

In the world of The Witcher, The Continent is a fantasy land filled with demons from an alternate dimension. Enter The Witchers, a breed of demon killers. In the games, Geralt named all of his horses Roach, though he prefers mares. It’s in the third game where there’s only one horse… and he’s such a good horse.

The Witcher will be coming to San Diego Comic-Con this coming week, but the arrival of Roach will hold us over.

“The road is long to San Diego. The good news is, on her worst day, Roach beats the company of Men, Elves, Gnomes and even Dwarves,” Cavill wrote on Facebook. “She’s not always easy, but she knows more than most and cares just enough to be the only kind of company worth enjoying.”

https://ew.com/tv/2019/07/16/netflix...-henry-cavill/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 368 Old 07-16-2019, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Henry as Geralt is growing on me. Looks pretty good in that pic.

post #33 of 368 Old 07-17-2019, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post
Yep! Yennefer should be friggin' gorgeous!
I suppose they are going for a younger version? The actress chosen is almost a kid.
WilliamR and SuperFist like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 368 Old 07-17-2019, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Looks like they adjusted Cavill's wig to have a lower hairline. Looks a lot better than the test footage.
WilliamR likes this.
post #35 of 368 Old 07-18-2019, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1134
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAger View Post
I suppose they are going for a younger version? The actress chosen is almost a kid.
And more importantly, she looks nothing like Yen in the games.
post #36 of 368 Old 07-18-2019, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAger View Post
And more importantly, she looks nothing like Yen in the games. Way too young and inexperienced looking.
post #37 of 368 Old 07-18-2019, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

The Witcher showrunner talks new Netflix series: 'It's a very adult show'

Netflix has your post-Game of Thrones epic adult fantasy fix: The Witcher is another sprawling exotic world based on a bestselling series of books about an ensemble of morally ambiguous characters who continually challenge your assumptions about who’s a hero or a villain. Except The Witcher also has a lot of diverse monsters playing very pivotal roles in the story.

Below showrunner Lauren Hissrich (Daredevil) gives her first in-depth interview about the upcoming series with new insight about landing Henry Cavill as Geralt (she initially rejected him!), the Ciri casting controversy, comparisons to Game of Thrones, and some new hints about the secretive storyline.

For the uninitiated, The Witcher is based on Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski’s novels (that also inspired a series of role-playing video games), is set in a land called The Continent which was invaded by demons from a parallel dimension that also gave rise to a breed of monster killers called Witchers. The tale follows Witcher Geralt (Cavill), sorceress Yennefer (Sherwood’s Anya Chalotra) and the mysterious young Ciri (newcomer Freya Allan), who come together to form an unlikely family of sorts.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: So what excites you most about this project?
LAUREN HISSRICH: I really love the idea of taking this series of novels that fans already love with and bringing them to a new audience. There’s also fun in exploring what happens between the pages of the books. The books explore events over a long period of time but there’s also story they skip through — Yennefer. for instance, some of the more defining moments of her life, we hear about them in flashback. We got to explore them in real time. It’s exciting to take Andrzej’s work and bring it to life.

How did The Witcher first get on your radar? Were you familiar with it before or did you do a crash course after being approached?A little of both. I read The Last Wish and really loved it. But I never would have called myself a fantasy writer before this. I’ve done some comic book shows, I’ve done a lot of drama. So when I read the book I loved it but never thought I should adapt it personally. When Netflix reached out I read the short stories again and started thinking about what could I bring to this. These three characters — Geralt, Yennefer, and Ciri — really rose to the surface. If you take all the other fantasy elements away, you take the magic and story and violence and sex away, you still have three characters who are this broken disjointed family who really need each other even though they don’t want to admit it. And that was one of the most appealing things to me.

There are books, short stories, and videogames — a lot of potential story material laying around. Which is the focus of the first season?
We’re not adapting the videogames, it’s a straight adaptation of the books. Which is great as the videogames are also an adaptation of the books. They went one direction, we actually get to go another. We’re kind of holding close to our chest what we’re doing in the first season. There’s a lot of obviously epic excitement that starts in the saga of the books. But the short stories provided a lot of world building and lay the foundation of this Continent and the politics of it and the understanding of the people of it and those really came into focus in the first season.

Is there an outright villain? Or is that a secretive aspect?
It’s not a secretive aspect. There isn’t really a villain. One of the things we’re enjoying exploring is all the shades of grey in the books. The characters you’re rooting for in the beginning may not be the characters you’re rooting for in the end. And characters you hate and seem absolutely evil are motivated by something that’s really relatable and human and emotional. I found writing it and then watching it afterward that your allegiance switches a lot. You constantly try to put yourself in the shoes of characters and think what would you do [in a situation]. I think you’ll end up having a lot of empathy for characters you didn’t expect to.

Landing Henry Cavill coming off Mission: Impossible – Fallout and playing Superman was a huge score. How did that go down?
Henry is a huge fan of this property. He’s read all of the books. He’s played all the games. I met him at the very beginning of the process. He said, “I would love to play this character.” I said, “Henry, you’re amazing, but we haven’t even started thinking about casting yet.” Then I met 207 other possible Geralts. And I came back to Henry at the end. He was my very first meeting and four months later I called him and asked if he was still interested and he was. The first time I met him I hadn’t even started writing the scripts yet. And once I started writing I couldn’t get Henry’s voice out of my head for the character. Looking at the final product, it’s really exciting. He embodies Geralt in a way that I don’t think anybody else could.

You started to address this at the end of that answer, but what’s he like in the role?
In the books, Geralt is largely silent, to an extent. He tends to take in what’s around him and process that internally. But you can’t have [a lead character] process everything internally in a television show. So in the first episode, I wrote Geralt with a lot of lines. Henry shot them all, and in the edit we started pulling some of them out. Henry brings subtitles to this character, finding emotional resonance in small moments, and playing it in such a subtle way that you understand what the character is going through without necessarily having huge chunks of dialogue. By the time we got to episode 108 — the finale of the first season — we didn’t even shoot half the dialogue because we knew there was so much Henry could do with Geralt that didn’t require my words.

I noticed in the screen test clip put on Twitter that Geralt didn’t have yellow eyes. Is that added in post-production? Or are you ditching that?
He will definitely have some of the things fans love the most in the books. I think everybody will be impressed by how he looks.

And casting Ciri? Obviously, there was some online controversy around casting that role.
I think that anytime you’re doing casting and you’re casting something that has a lot of existing fans you’re going to get a lot of opinions about whether it matches fans vision. This franchise has millions of fans. We knew we weren’t going to make everyone happy. As you know, per the controversy, we looked at everyone possible for this role. And when we found Freya we made her an offer that day. She’s incredibly special. She’s young, yet has the soul and maturity of somebody much older. She was able to bring a depth to this character. When Freya is in a scene with Henry they really rival each other.

I take it you guys have more of a PG-13 vibe vs., say, Game of Thrones? Or is that an inaccurate assumption?
That’s a pretty inaccurate assumption! I’ve been rewatching dailies and my kids aren’t allowed to look at the screen anymore after one of them snuck around and saw something they shouldn’t have seen and it scared him. It’s a very adult show. I will add it was important to me that any violence or sex drives the story and is not there just for shock value. I think audiences are really savvy and know when we’re doing stuff to just shock them versus do stuff that really drives the story.

What does Witcher bring that’s unique to the fantasy space?
The monster and horror aspect. It’s been done occasionally on fantasy shows but it takes a backseat to magic a lot of the time. Geralt’s a monster hunter so from the very beginning we talked about how to show these monsters and the humans they interact with. I think people are going to be surprised by how many monsters we were able to do and how integral they are to story. It really feels like the monster stories become analogs for bigger things happening in the world right now in different political phenomenons.

And I’m sure fans are wondering when they can expect a trailer?
I cannot say. Obviously, things are ramping up and I cannot wait for fans to see something so I hope it’s soon.

https://ew.com/comic-con/2019/07/18/...rview-netflix/
RobKnapp likes this.

post #38 of 368 Old 07-18-2019, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked: 1087
I just bought a PS4 and am waiting for Witcher 3 to drop in price. I see the Complete edition was on sale $15 earlier.

About the series, I'm sorry to be a cynic but I don't trust Netflix. Most of their originals are pretty bad and targeted at millennials with zero attention span and stupid plots, they couldn't care less about being faithful to source material.

Also Netflix is losing subscribers and cutting budgets, not a good sign for a show like this.

Honestly no US network does justice to material like this. HBO used to but not after the train wreck of last few GoT seasons. I wish this was done by BBC etc, but of course they have nowhere near the budget. Catch 22.
post #39 of 368 Old 07-18-2019, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Fans of the video game should keep in mind that the show is being based on the original book series, not the game, which put their own spin on the source material.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #40 of 368 Old 07-19-2019, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5747 Post(s)
Liked: 5263
Teaser trailer...

RobKnapp, yobbo and Salty01 like this.
post #41 of 368 Old 07-20-2019, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
Fans of the video game should keep in mind that the show is being based on the original book series, not the game, which put their own spin on the source material.
Which is kind of sad, given that the games were freaking awesome and probably have 100x the number of fans as the books do. Witcher 3 w/DLC is my favorite game ever, and I've played just about every good RPG ever made.

Never read the books, have no intention of doing so.
post #42 of 368 Old 07-20-2019, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 168
That teaser looks great. Wow. Don't want to get too hype, but definitely plan on watching it as soon as it is released.
post #43 of 368 Old 07-20-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakesh.S View Post
That teaser looks great. Wow. Don't want to get too hype, but definitely plan on watching it as soon as it is released.
looks better then I expected but as a fan of the games I don't think any of the casting is right...more fantasy shows are always a good thing but this is no Game of Thrones...I actually think Amazon's upcoming Carnival Row show looks better in terms of fantasy
post #44 of 368 Old 07-20-2019, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

That is exactly how I hoped it would look and feel. Love it. Soooo can't wait for this to start. Going to binge watch the whole thing in one weekend!

post #45 of 368 Old 07-20-2019, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I'll be signing up for nexflix when it gets near release date...
WilliamR likes this.
post #46 of 368 Old 07-23-2019, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Full comic-con panel with the cast.

post #47 of 368 Old 10-31-2019, 09:15 AM

The Witcher | Official Trailer | Netflix

premieres December 20th...

NewAger likes this.
post #48 of 368 Old 10-31-2019, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Was just browsing YouTube and saw the trailer. Man oh man this looks sooooo freaking good. Can't wait. I think Netflix is going to have a huge hit on their hands. Production value and special effects look top notch. Going to be a fun ride I think.
NewAger likes this.

post #49 of 368 Old 10-31-2019, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 67
another show I'll have to turn on closed captioning .....

looks good though.....
post #50 of 368 Old 10-31-2019, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 54
The tub scene is a perfect nod to the games’ fans. I’m sure we will see more than a few Easter Eggs.
post #51 of 368 Old 10-31-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflor View Post
The tub scene is a perfect nod to the games’ fans. I’m sure we will see more than a few Easter Eggs.
the TV series is more of a book adaptation vs the games but I'm sure there will be some Easter Eggs for gamers
post #52 of 368 Old 10-31-2019, 09:09 PM

Liked: 192
This looks great, and I say that as a person who only played the games. The effects, costumes and fight choreography are perfect.
WilliamR likes this.
post #53 of 368 Old 11-01-2019, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflor View Post
I liked the nod to gamers with the Roach scene. Made me smile when I saw that.

post #54 of 368 Old 11-01-2019, 04:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked: 2165
Different for Henry, but looks great. Looking forward to viewing this one over the holidays.
post #55 of 368 Old 11-01-2019, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 672
I am a big Witcher game fan. I realize this show will have nothing to do with the game but still looking forward to their interpretation of the Witcher.
post #56 of 368 Old 11-18-2019, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter

From HOTP thread:

Netflix's The Witcher Gets Season 2 Order
By David Griffin, IGN.com - Nov. 13, 2019

Ahead of its December 20 premiere on Netflix, The Witcher has been renewed for a second season.

According to the streamer, Season 2 of The Witcher will begin production in London early in 2020, for a planned debut in 2021. Showrunner Lauren Schmidt Hissrich responded to the news: “I’m so thrilled that before fans have even seen our first season, we are able to confirm that we’ll be returning to The Continent again to continue telling the stories of Geralt, Yennefer and Ciri.”

Netflix also released a detailed look at both of Geralt's swords, which you can see in our Witcher gallery below: [CLICK LINK]

In recent news, Hissrich revealed that she has seven seasons of The Witcher planned if Netflix keeps renewing the series. “I’ve [mapped out stories] for seven seasons. Right now it’s just about, ‘how do you set up stories that really capture audiences for years at a time?'”

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/11...season-2-order

post #57 of 368 Old 12-09-2019, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

The Witcher | Character Introduction: Princess Cirilla

The Witcher | Character Introduction: Geralt of Rivia

The Witcher | Character Introduction: Yennefer of Vengerberg

Keenan and allargon like this.

post #58 of 368 Old 12-12-2019, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1192 Post(s)
Liked: 2510
post #59 of 368 Old 12-12-2019, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wow this looks awesome, can't wait. Still not feeling the choice of actress for Yen (too young looking to me) but Cavill looks like a perfect Geralt. We'll see.
post #60 of 368 Old 12-12-2019, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2063 Post(s)
Liked: 2201
I've never played the video game (though I've played a number of other fantasy RPGs) and I haven't read the books, but I'm definitely looking forward to this. I just hope it's judged on its own merits and not whether or not it's the next "Game of Thrones." I'm already tired of hearing those comparisons for big-budget high-concept shows.
SuperFist likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page