• 2 Post By slowbiscuit

post #1 of 30 Old 05-09-2018, 03:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked: 2187
The Witcher - Netflix Series

Easily one of the best video game series I have ever played.

Trying to determine if the trailer is fake or not, but the show is still a go from everything I read.
adpayne and Egan like this.

Last edited by WilliamR; 05-09-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 05-09-2018, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked: 636
But its a fake.
post #3 of 30 Old 05-09-2018, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

In case the trailer is fake I took it down, but the series is still a go from everything I read, just don't know when it will air. Could be a while.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05/...cher-tv-series
Zookster likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 05-09-2018, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
In case the trailer is fake I took it down, but the series is still a go from everything I read, just don't know when it will air. Could be a while.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05/...cher-tv-series
The author of the youtube video says its a fake in the link.
post #5 of 30 Old 05-09-2018, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
The author of the youtube video says its a fake in the link.
Yeah he updated that description after the fact when people were accusing him. Gotta give him props, it was really well done.

Still excited for the series, just wish it would come out already. Been in development forever, not sure that is a good sign though. I don't see it on their schedule either as coming soon.

post #6 of 30 Old 09-05-2018, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Henry Cavill will play Geralt in the Witcher series.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/80811
Zookster likes this.

post #7 of 30 Old 09-06-2018, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 59
don't know who he is , but love the pc game series.......
hope they do it right .........
post #8 of 30 Old 09-07-2018, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1564 Post(s)
Liked: 1473
This casting choice is a very good sign of how seriously Netflix is taking the series. I hope they don't do an Altered Carbon with it and screw the pooch with a shakey adaptation of the source material.
post #9 of 30 Old 09-07-2018, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I am reserving any judgement on the casting until the series is out. The choice doesn't scream brilliant to me nor does it scream mistake so ...wait and see.

It better be true to the Witcher series in lore and tone. I love both the games and the books so either or a cross will be fine just as long as its written well and the supporting cast is cast well.
post #10 of 30 Old 09-08-2018, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNc View Post
Witcher 3 was the best RPG I've ever played, and I've played a LOT of them dating back to the DOS days. Hopefully the series is true to the lore and characters.
post #11 of 30 Old 09-09-2018, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Witcher 3 was the best RPG I've ever played, and I've played a LOT of them dating back to the DOS days. Hopefully the series is true to the lore and characters.
It is based on the books not the video game. I have not read the books so I don’t know what differences there are. I just saw the books for sale (translated from the Polish into English) at Barnes and Nobel the other day. The books actually came first before the video game. So to determine if it is true to the source you have to read the books.

Sony XBR-65A8F
Denon X1400, ATV 4K, HTPC
Roku Premiere+, Panasonic UB820, Sony x700
post #12 of 30 Old 09-09-2018, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Here is a Youtube video that explains a lot about the new Witcher series and Henry Cavill. The guy who does this video, Emergency Awesome, if you are unfamiliar with him, has like a million followers and his videos typically have a half million views, so he is reputable. He does a lot of comic book based media, superhero, and Game of Thrones videos.

Sony XBR-65A8F
Denon X1400, ATV 4K, HTPC
Roku Premiere+, Panasonic UB820, Sony x700
post #13 of 30 Old 09-09-2018, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Easily one of the best video game series I have ever played.
Interesting, just picked up all 3 Witchers on GOG a few weeks ago when they had a sale. Looking forward to seeing this.

Sony 65A1E
post #14 of 30 Old 09-10-2018, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNc View Post
You don't know who Henry is? He plays the new Superman in the latest movies and is also in the new Mission Impossible.

post #15 of 30 Old 09-10-2018, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 59
^^^^
haven't seen either of those movies... not into those two types of shows..

but I am a dedicated gamer ....... so hope the series does well. Might even join
netflix to watch if it gets good reviews.....
post #16 of 30 Old 09-12-2018, 07:20 PM

Liked: 2398
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakPoint View Post
It is based on the books not the video game. I have not read the books so I don’t know what differences there are. I just saw the books for sale (translated from the Polish into English) at Barnes and Nobel the other day. The books actually came first before the video game. So to determine if it is true to the source you have to read the books.
The games stay faithful to the core concepts, relationships and most of the characters of the books. CDP tried to make sure of that. The major differences stem from the player choices obviously.

I would be very surprised if the show does not follow all the visual references CDP did, given the amount of effort they put into designing the characters.

post #17 of 30 Old 09-14-2018, 03:50 AM - Thread Starter

The Witcher on Netflix: Everything you need to know

Ian Sandwell

We've known since 2017 that Netflixwas working on a new English language adaptation of The Witcher, based on the popular fantasy saga from Polishwriter Andrzej Sapkowski.

Lauren Schmidt Hissrich, who haswritten for the likes of The Defenders, Daredeviland Power,signed on as showrunner and executive producer in December 2017 and a Netflixevent earlier this year teased yet more details about the adaptation. And because we're kind to you,here's everything you need to know about The Witcher on Netflix in onehandy place.

The Witcher Netflix release date:When will it arrive?

There hasn't been a confirmedrelease date yet.

Hissrich previously revealed on herTwitter – which is a feast of The Witcher information – that we couldwell be waiting until 2020 for it to arrive on Netflix.

"Who knows?! We're moving quicklyahead with everything – like, my head is spinning around Exorcist-style,except with enthusiasm, not evil possession – but one thing is certain: qualitycomes before speed. You'll get it as soon as humanly possible, and it'll begood," she promised.

But The Witcher was laterconfirmed to be hitting Netflix sometime in 2019 – we're guessing late in the year, which isstill a pretty tight turnaround.

If that's still too long for you towait, you can always track down The Hexer, a 13-part Polish series basedon The Witcher stories The Last Wish and The Sword of Destiny.

We do know that work has begun onthe scripts for the new version as Hissrich added that she has "finishedthe pilot", although it needs a polish, and on May 8, 2018, she posted aphoto from the writers' room as it set to work on the show.

The writers include The Originals'Declan de Barra, Jessica Jones' Jenny Klein and Daredevil's SnehaKoora, while Sapkowski is on board as a creative consultant and Hissrich alsorevealed that there are "several Polish people on the creative team".

We also know that it will beshooting in Eastern Europe as it "couldn'texist anyplace else", according to Hissrich.

The Witcher Netflix cast: Who's init?

With his days as the big-screen'sSuperman apparently behind him, Henry Cavill will be playing The Witcher's lead role of mutated monsterhunter Geralt of Rivia.

When Cavill's casting was announced,Hissrich insisted that there'd never been any other choice for Geralt.

Though the role of Ciri, bad-assheiress to the throne of Cintra, is yet to be cast, news did emerge inSeptember 20 that a BAME actress was being sought for the part. This developmentsparked a backlash amongst a certain sector of Witcher fandom, withHissrich even taking a Twitter hiatus to escape the fallout.

Oh dear.

Aside from these two key roles, wedo at least have a hint of what other characters from Sapkowski's book serieswill feature on the show as Hissrich tweeted out a series of notes on TheWitcher characters.

These included Yennefer, Roach,Jaskier, Triss Merigold, Cahir, Regis and Emhyr and you can read all of them inthis handy Twitter thread.

That's not confirmation that all ofthem will be featured in the first season, but we do know that the show will bebased on the book series and not the video game adaptation.

"We all know there has to becreative distance between the games & the show. Both are adaptations; theyare not themselves connected," Hissrich explained.

The Witcher Netflix episodes: Howmany can we expect?

Hissrich confirmed that we canexpect eight episodes in the first season and outlined some solid reasons forthe relatively brief number.

"I know, I know, it may notseem like enough for you, but creatively, it's the right call. The episodes canbe tight, action-packed, rich in character and story, without lagging in themiddle of the season. Sounds good to me, sound good to you?," she explained.

Sounds good to us.

Of the eight episodes, four will bedirected by Game of Thrones' Alik Sakharov, two directed by Outlander'sCharlotte Brändström and another two directed by Daredevil'sAlex Garcia Lopez.

The Witcher Netflix plot: What's itabout?

The Netflix synopsis makes it clearthe series will be based on the books, describing it as "an epic tale of fate and family".

"Geralt of Rivia, a solitarymonster hunter, struggles to find his place in a world where people often provemore wicked than beasts," the synopsis continues. "But when destinyhurtles him toward a powerful sorceress, and a young princess with a dangerous secret,the three must learn to navigate the increasingly volatile Continenttogether."

Netflix has already got a placeholder pagefor The Witcher – clearly they're as excited as us – which gives a briefoutline of the show: "The witcher Geralt, a mutated monster hunter,struggles to find his place in a world where people often prove more wickedthan beasts."

Not much additional informationthere, but executive producers Sean Daniel and Jason Brown have a bit more totell you. "The Witcher stories follow an unconventional family thatcomes together to fight for truth in a dangerous world," they teased.

Script segments leaked online in August again had Witcher fandom up inarms, with some taking issue with the characters' "witty banter" andGeralt being described as "ridiculously attractive".

Hissrich, though, insisted thatthese were simply sides using for auditions, and that the scenes wouldn'tfeature in the finished product.

Other than that, you're going tohave to wait, but as soon as we have more concrete plot information, we'llupdate this very page so keep it bookmarked.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/witcher-n...083926451.html

post #18 of 30 Old 10-31-2018, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmmm, not sure I like the look of his character.

First Look at Henry Cavill As Geralt of Rivia in THE WITCHER
Published at: Oct. 31, 2018, 1:52 p.m. CST by Big Eyes

Take a look at the first look we get of Henry Cavill as Geralt of Rivia in THE WITCHER!

I honestly think this guy doesn’t quite look gruff enough for the part, but what do I know about a video game with extremely clunky controls? The show is actually based off of the book series by the same name, which of course was later developed into a video game series, and now a Netflix series! It’s about monster hunters with supernatural abilities in a pretty unforgiving world.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/81222

post #19 of 30 Old 10-31-2018, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1262 Post(s)
Liked: 4945
I guess they'll digitally create his beard!

WilliamR likes this.

Subwoofers: PSA S3000i x 2 | L+R Front: Onkyo SKF-200F | Center: Onkyo SKC-200C | L+R Surround: Onkyo SKM-200S | Atmos: Pioneer SP-T22A-LR | AVR: Yamaha RX-A660BL | HTPC: Lenovo Q190
post #20 of 30 Old 11-01-2018, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter

Man that just doesn't look right. Looks like someone dressing up as Geralt on Halloween not as a character in a TV show. Seems really off.
SuperFist likes this.

post #21 of 30 Old 06-25-2019, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Small blurb, looks like Fall of this year.

The Witcher (Netflix)
Three words: Legolas Henry Cavill. (The hair, anyway.) Andrzej Sapkowski’s saga revolves around a malaise-prone monster hunter with a great name (Geralt of Rivia!) who “struggles to find his place in a world where people often prove more wicked than beasts.” He eventually teams up with a princess and sorceress with the same ideals, who might be able to help him find meaning in this dark, cruel world after all — and also kill a bunch of monsters.

What’s the production status? We’ll get it alongside Watchmen, most likely. Netflix confirmed that the eight episodes will debut in fall 2019, with other cast members including Eamon Farren (that creepy guy from Twin Peaks: The Return) and Freya Allan.

post #22 of 30 Old 06-25-2019, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm totally in but it's got a tough act to follow, at least it's on NF so it won't be limited by cable norms.
post #23 of 30 Old 06-26-2019, 01:58 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1205 Post(s)
Liked: 2053
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakPoint View Post
Here is a Youtube video that explains a lot about the new Witcher series and Henry Cavill. The guy who does this video, Emergency Awesome, if you are unfamiliar with him, has like a million followers and his videos typically have a half million views, so he is reputable. He does a lot of comic book based media, superhero, and Game of Thrones videos.

https://youtu.be/7v_XVlwtZPc
LOL. Followers makes someone reputable?

The Kardashians have 10 times the followers, yet I would't consider them to be reputable about literally anything at all.

Now, maybe if he had the kind of following that Boo the Dog had....
post #24 of 30 Old 07-01-2019, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Netflix's The Witcher reveals first look photos from fantasy series

By James Hibberd July 01, 2019 at 10:46 AM EDT

;

Netflix is finally revealing first look photos of Geralt, Yennefer, and Ciri.
And if you don’t know who they are, then you’re probably not yet familiar with Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski’s novels or the series of videogames or the upcoming Netflix series that comprise The Witcher franchise.
For the uninitiated, The Witcher is set in a land called The Continent which was invaded by demons from a parallel dimension that also gave rise to a breed of monster killers called Witchers. The series tale follows Witcher Geralt (played by ex-Superman Henry Cavill), sorceress Yennefer (Sherwood’s Anya Chalotra) and the mysterious young Ciri (newcomer Freya Allan) who come together to form an unlikely family of sorts.

Here’s Cavill’s Geralt:
;
Netflix

;
Yennefer:

;
Netflix

;
And Ciri:

;

;

Plus a poster:

Netflix

The Witcher is planned for late 2019, and more is certain to be revealed at the show’s Comic-Con panel later this month.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/07/01/netflix...itcher-photos/

Last edited by WilliamR; 07-01-2019 at 09:47 AM.
post #25 of 30 Old 07-01-2019, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

I take back any negatives I said about the original picture. He looks pretty good as Geralt in these pics.

post #26 of 30 Old 07-02-2019, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah he looks good but they missed the boat on Yennifer.
WilliamR and SuperFist like this.
post #27 of 30 Old 07-02-2019, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Amen on that, not even close.

post #28 of 30 Old 07-03-2019, 03:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4627 Post(s)
Liked: 2934
I think the Yennefer photos look good. Look up who they got playing Triss and try to see how that'll work. I guess if you dye the hair red..

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #29 of 30 Old 07-03-2019, 04:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1262 Post(s)
Liked: 4945
Quote:
Yep! Yennefer should be friggin' gorgeous!

Subwoofers: PSA S3000i x 2 | L+R Front: Onkyo SKF-200F | Center: Onkyo SKC-200C | L+R Surround: Onkyo SKM-200S | Atmos: Pioneer SP-T22A-LR | AVR: Yamaha RX-A660BL | HTPC: Lenovo Q190
post #30 of 30 Old 07-03-2019, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Curious to see the visual style of the show. Feel like this is a show where the Zack Snyder style would work (fast looking framerates, with lots of slowdowns, etc.). Hopefully they strike the right tone, instead of turning into something like Hercules (Kevin Sorbo).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page