96Likes

post #1 of 152 Old 05-15-2018, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1867 Post(s)
Liked: 2197
The Passage Series on Fox

I read this entire series of books and it is up there in my list of all time favorite novels. So well done and one of the best post apocalyptic novels of all time. Sooo can't wait for this show to start. It is about time as Ridley Scott purchased the rights as soon as the first book came out.

TeeJay1952 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 152 Old 05-16-2018, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Too bad the trailer looks absolutely awful...and all the Production reshoots do not bode well.

Like you, this is one of my favorite novel series (though the 3rd book took WAY too long to come and was slightly disappointing) and I was REALLY looking for towards this...

I do not have great confidence that Fox can pull it off (and finish the entire series)

Josh
post #3 of 152 Old 05-17-2018, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked: 1563
Looks interesting!

Thanks for the heads up @WilliamR

"we're still here!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 152 Old 05-17-2018, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
Looks interesting!

Thanks for the heads up @WilliamR
No problem. While the trailer might like some things, I have high hopes for it because of the source material. Fingers crossed!!!

post #5 of 152 Old 05-19-2018, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 923
It could be a good show, but if it is it won’t be because it’s faithful to the source. It seems clear from the trailer that the emphasis will be on the aspects of the first book that are most TV-friendly, focusing on the young girl and her FBI protector while the “plague” becomes a background driver and source of bad guys.

Justin Cronin’s novels had a powerful story, but what distinguished them was their literary quality and emotional depth, characteristics I don’t expect to find in a mass-market Fox series.

I’ll watch it anyway, but unlike GoT or The Expanse, I will not expect to see much of the quality of the books reflected here. And I’ll be sad because this probably means the movie trilogy or three-season cable series these books deserve will never happen.
NMAS likes this.
post #6 of 152 Old 08-03-2018, 04:10 AM - Thread Starter

They do, kind of, address why the show starts different than the book.

The Passage’ Team Talks Father-Daughter Story as ‘Heart’ of Adaptation
By Danielle Turchiano, TheWrap.com - Aug. 2, 2018

Justin Cronin’s “The Passage Trilogy” spans 1000 years and 100 characters, but the first season of the Fox dramatic adaptation will be set solely in Project Noah.

“The reason the beginning of the show is different [than the book] is an effort to give everyone a credible point of view,” executive producer Liz Heldens said at the broadcaster’s Television Critics Assn. press your panel for the show Thursday. “That was an effort to make sure all of the characters had nuance and you could understand why everybody was doing what they were doing.”

The scientists in the show, including Henry Ian Cusick as Dr. Jonas Lear, know there is a pandemic coming and know they need a child for what they think will be the cure. “They’re doing the wrong thing for the right reasons,” Heldens pointed out.

Heldens also admitted she looks at the book and sees three seasons of television — Project Noah, the Colony and then the last segment of the book. She doesn’t plan to remove the time jumps in the book, but she does plan to “slow down the story a little bit” so the audience understands the “good intentions and bad decisions that lead to the end of the world.”

Cronin said that he doesn’t consider a book a fixed thing but rather an “occurrence” and therefore has been open to different ways of adapting his story. id,

“It happens in the mind of a reader and it happens differently every time someone reads it,” he said of adaptation.

Cronin also shared that he didn’t write these books as vampire novels or even genre tales, specifically. Instead, he wrote them as a “father-daughter novel,” centered on the characters of Brad Wolgast (played by Mark-Paul Gosselaar) and Amy Bellafonte (aged up in the series and played by Saniyya Sidney).

“The reason I did that was I constructed them over a period…with my eight-year-old daughter when she was riding her bicycle and I was running along side her playing, ‘Let’s write a novel,'” Cronin shared, crediting his daughter for coming up with the idea that a young girl saves the world.

“We came up with an outline that was 30 single-spaced pages of material that was vastly better than what I was supposed to be writing … so I jumped the tracks.”

That father-daughter story is what Heldens feels “makes the whole show accessible and special for people who are not genre people,” and what Gosselaar calls “the heart of the story.”

“I have a 12-year-old daughter, so I related,” Gosselaar said.

The jeopardy of the show, Heldens said, is what’s going to happen to Amy. But the fact that she has Wolgast “as a protector and an advocate” should put the audience somewhat at ease.

“They’re weirdly funny together, so it is a source of levity,” she said. “As much as it’s kind of scary and you don’t want anything to happen to Amy…at the same time, when you’re in those scenes they’re some of the most hopeful and buoyant scenes in the show, and that makes us feel really good writing it.”

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/the...ca-1202893330/

post #7 of 152 Old 08-03-2018, 05:37 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 5931 Post(s)
Liked: 6522
Well, I feel like I've seen the entire series from that trailer. Looks pretty formulaic. And kinda'... meh. Guy on the run with a little kid he's trying to protect from the big, bad government organization he used to be part of who wants to use/hurt her for nefarious ends? Feel like I've seen that one about 3,492 times in one version or another.
vbryaninternist likes this.
post #8 of 152 Old 08-03-2018, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Well, I feel like I've seen the entire series from that trailer. Looks pretty formulaic. And kinda'... meh. Guy on the run with a little kid he's trying to protect from the big, bad government organization he used to be part of who wants to use/hurt her for nefarious ends? Feel like I've seen that one about 3,492 times in one version or another.
I read the trilogy. It is, or can be, so much more than that....
WilliamR likes this.

Bobby 

post #9 of 152 Old 08-03-2018, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
While I do agree with you, I still am holding out hope because the books are just amazing and so well done and after ever one my wife and I would say that it would make an awesome movie. Love the world, concept, etc. but I am just not sold they are going to be able to translate that into a TV show for a wider audience and are going to make it into a "typical TV" show.

post #10 of 152 Old 08-03-2018, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Three seasons for ONE book....come on...really? This is Under the Dome or The Strain all over again...what a mess

Josh
post #11 of 152 Old 10-24-2018, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter

January 14 start date. Another trailer:

post #12 of 152 Old 01-13-2019, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 995
Reminder that this starts tomorrow night. Like arch I wonder if this will be entirely formulaic, but I'll try it.
post #13 of 152 Old 01-13-2019, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 5931 Post(s)
Liked: 6522
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Reminder that this starts tomorrow night. Like arch I wonder if this will be entirely formulaic, but I'll try it.
Plus it's on broadcast network tee-vee, which means 22 episodes a year, which means 22 hours out of my increasingly valuable and scarce allotment of entertainment time.

Didn't used to be a problem when there were only 4 or 5 networks and a handful of good television shows to occupy those scarce hours. But now, in the 500 channel universe of "Peak TV" with literally hundreds of new series a year popping up like mushrooms after a hard rain, a 22 hour broadcast network show has to be beyond stellar to get a chance to break into my lineup.

It's basically like two of a cablenet or streaming series. So it has to be twice as good. But considering it's on a broadcast network and needs to reach a broad audience, any "edginess" or particularly innovative aspects of its production have probably been neutered out of it to appeal to the widest possible audience. Which makes it even less likely to attract my attention. Just the way it is anymore.
Zookster likes this.

Last edited by archiguy; 01-13-2019 at 09:09 AM.
post #14 of 152 Old 01-13-2019, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6874 Post(s)
Liked: 15461
DVR set. Lets go!

post #15 of 152 Old 01-13-2019, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked: 2352
Quote:
Plus it's on broadcast network tee-vee, which means 22 episodes a year, which means 22 hours out of my increasingly valuable and scarce allotment of entertainment time.

Didn't used to be a problem when there were only 4 or 5 networks and a handful of good television shows to occupy those scarce hours. But now, in the 500 channel universe of "Peak TV" with literally hundreds of new series a year popping up like mushrooms after a hard rain, a 22 hour broadcast network show has to be beyond stellar to get a chance to break into my lineup.

It's basically like two of a cablenet or streaming series. So it has to be twice as good. But considering it's on a broadcast network and needs to reach a broad audience, any "edginess" or particularly innovative aspects of its production have probably been neutered out of it to appeal to the widest possible audience. Which makes it even less likely to attract my attention. Just the way it is anymore.
Fox canceled Firefly, so clearly, they have no idea what makes a good TV series. Does not bode well ...
archiguy, ss9001 and RUR like this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #16 of 152 Old 01-13-2019, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'm hopeful, but the depth and length of these books just seems to difficult for broadcast TV.
post #17 of 152 Old 01-13-2019, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4223 Post(s)
Liked: 3788
Zack from Saved by the Bell?...FOX network?...more TV for dumb people...this could have been better on cable
post #18 of 152 Old 01-14-2019, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter

It is getting a lot of rave reviews, can't wait to watch it.

Fox's 'The Passage' is the sci-fi epic broadcast TV deserves
By Kelly Lawler, USA Today - Jan. 11, 2019

One of the best shows this winter combines vampires, a global pandemic, Desmond from "Lost," a precocious kid, shootouts with government agents, a conspiracy theory, death-row inmates and Mark-Paul Gosselaar's burly arms.

Fox's "The Passage" (Monday, 9 EST/PST, ★★★ out of four) is a high-concept sci-fi thriller based on popular novels by Justin Cronin. It has been boiled down to its most essential elements and easily digestible plot points, exactly the right way to mainstream the show for a broadcast audience without making it dull, dumb or disingenuous.

What unites the genre-blending elements of "Passage" is a quest by one well-intentioned man, Dr. Jonas Lear (Cusick) to discover the secret to curing all diseases. His search takes him to a remote cave in South America, where a supposedly immortal man lives. As you can imagine, this is not a good idea, and a member of his team, Tim Fanning (Jamie McShane), is attacked and transforms into something the scientists are hesitant to call a vampire, which seems an apt description (they go with "viral" instead).

The government team, led by Major Nichole Sykes (Caroline Chikezie) brings Fanning back to the U.S. and begins experimenting with his blood, using death-row inmates as guinea pigs, but unfortunately just creating more vampiresin the process. When the project takes on new urgency after a humanity-threatening flu pandemic, the researchers decide experimenting on a child is the only way forward, for various pseudo-scientific reasons. Their trusty ask-no-questions special agent, Brad Wolgast (Gosselaar), is sent to kidnap a foster child, Amy (Saniyya Sidney), but his conscience intervenes and he tries to help her escape. Cue the shootouts.

It's a lot of plot for 43-minute episodes, but creator Liz Heldens ("Friday Night Lights") aptly threads the needle, balancing disparate elements into an action-adventure series with just enough mythology and mystery to keep the audience guessing. As an emotional anchor, Gosselaar's hunky, post-"Saved by the Bell" persona is perfect for a father figure/GI Joe/tortured soul like Brad. His has natural chemistry with the young Sidney, who deftly stays on the right side of the line between cute and cloying.

When the series flips to its more mystical elements, it remains strong. Cusick brings bona fides from his time on "Lost" and "The 100," questioning whether they should proceed with their experiments. The vampires are solid villains, with looks, behavior and powers unlike most – no sparkling skin or brooding teens – so they bring new scares, including creepy powers to invade dreams.

"Passage" suffers, in small part, from a series of improbabilities that have nothing to do with immortal vampires. Magically healed bullet wounds, lightning-fast travel, ex-wives with far-too-convenient jobs and resources abound in the three episodes made available for review. But those are logical fallacies you accept when the rest of the show is so good.

The first three episodes are briskly paced, which provides instant gratification but risks the writers running out of story too soon (the lengthy source material may help).

But what makes "Passage" great is the clever way it melds mile-a-minute action with mystery-box mythology. It could be divided into several shows, but it never feels like shows that were poorly stitched together. It's a unified, at times baffling experience wrapped up with a Gosselaar bow. In a season when "Lost" copycat "Manifest" is pulling in ratings, the weirdness of "Passage" just might propel it to victory.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...ck/2534889002/

post #19 of 152 Old 01-14-2019, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

'The Passage' Gives Fox a Sci-Fi Contender With Heart to Spare
By Ed Bark, TVWorthWatching.com's 'Uncle Barky's Bytes' - Jan. 14, 2019

A generation removed from Saved By the Bell, former teen heartthrob Mark-Paul Gosselaar, now 44, is acting with kids again.

Actually, it’s just one kid. But what a kid. Saniyya Sidney is terrifically appealing in Fox’s The Passage (Monday at 9 p.m. ET), with Gosselaar’s character both soothing and cajoling her in a Big Four broadcast network scripted drama series that’s accomplished a seeming mission: impossible these days. It’s left me wanting more after watching the three episodes made available for review.

Ever since The X-Files (which had two latter-day reincarnations), Fox has striven to launch another long-distance runner from the sci-fi/supernatural genre. Fringe and Sleepy Hollow kept those fires burning for a few seasons, although it’s hard to imagine any reboots of either. But the likes of Terra Nova, Wayward Pines, Dollhouse, Almost Human, Alcatraz, Dark Angel, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Millennium, John Doe, Harsh Realm, Night Visions, and The Visitor all ended up flaming out quickly.

Gosselaar likewise has been around the block more than a few times, establishing himself as something of a present-day Robert Urich in terms of starring roles in one TV series after another. Last seen in Fox’s short-lived 2016 Pitch as a veteran major league catcher, Gosselaar has matured into a seasoned adult actor with a sturdy presence.

In The Passage, he plays federal agent Brad Wolgast, a divorced war veteran with 98 kills under his belt. Back in the civilian world, his new job is talking prisoners on death row into being guinea pigs in lieu of being executed. Twelve of them have been lured to Project Noah, a secret experimental project based in Telluride, Colorado. The scientists within are racing to develop a drug that would make humanoids immune from all diseases. Time’s not on their side, because a lethal Asian flu pandemic is scheduled to hit the U.S. in just 60 days.

So far, though, the guinea pigs have all become blood-drinking, mind-invading inhumans in one form or another. Gosselaar’s character is unaware of this when he’s told to fetch wayward 10-year-old Amy Bellafonte (Sidney), a kid that “no one will miss” after her drug-addicted mother dies of an overdose. The latest theory within the walls of Project Noah is that pre-teens have a “greater neural concentration and plasticity” that may yield better results in developing a catch-all vaccine. Got all that?

Whatever the sci-fi parameters, they’re not enough in themselves to sell a series. That’s where the relationship between Brad and Amy comes in. Blaming himself for the loss of his daughter, he’s at first taken aback and then taken in by the kid’s pluck. So they’re soon on the lam, nurturing each other in their own ways. That all sounds pretty prototypical. But thanks to Gosselaar and Sidney, the first three episodes of The Passage are filled with little moments that make it all seem new again.

The Passenger also utilizes flashbacks to flesh out both the guinea pigs’ and scientists’ backstories. One of the other principal cast members, Henry Ian Cusick, already knows this drill. The former Lost mainstay (as Desmond Hume) is back for another sci-fi go of it as Dr. Jonas Lear. He knows where the figurative bodies are buried after persuading a fellow doctor, Tim Fanning (Jamie McShane), to embark on a 2015 expedition to Bolivia in hopes of finding a miracle cure for Lear’s Alzheimer’s-inflicted wife. Alas, things went very wrong there for Dr. Tim.

Also within the Project Noah confines are featured death row parolees Shauna Babcock (Brianne Howey) and Anthony Carter (McKinley Belcher III), the latter newly arrived. Lear’s colleagues include the relentless but growingly spooked Clark Richards (Vincent Piazza) and his romantic interest, Dr. Nichole Sykes (Caroline Chikezie). She seems to mean well, but it’s likely too early to tell. Wolgast’s still supportive ex-wife, Lila Kyle (Emmanuelle Chriqui), likewise a doctor, tries to intercede from the outside.

Early in the first episode, Amy’s narrative voice doesn’t leave out much hope. “This is how the world ends,” she pronounces.

It’s Fox’s hope that there’s plenty of time for that – perhaps five or six seasons at a minimum. To that particular end, there’s been no lack of on-air promotion for The Passage, which shows considerable promise in these early episodes. Thanks to Gosselaar and Sidney, the all-important human element goes hand-in-hand with all the sci-fi ins and outs.

http://www.tvworthwatching.com/BlogP...x?postId=17606

post #20 of 152 Old 01-14-2019, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked: 1485
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
Zack from Saved by the Bell?...FOX network?...more TV for dumb people...this could have been better on cable
Mark-Paul Gosselaar was in another Fox series recently, Pitch (about the first female MLB player), in which he played an aging, once-great baseball player. He did a good job in this more dramatic role (I never once thought of "Zack)," and I found the series to be very watchable if not enjoyable, though few others seemed to.
Ivabign likes this.
post #21 of 152 Old 01-14-2019, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
Mark-Paul Gosselaar was in another Fox series recently, Pitch (about the first female MLB player), in which he played an aging, once-great baseball player. He did a good job in this more dramatic role (I never once thought of "Zack)," and I found the series to be very watchable if not enjoyable, though few others seemed to.

MPG was also very good in NYPD Blue, jus sayin...
bobby94928 likes this.
post #22 of 152 Old 01-14-2019, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
yeah I have to admit Zack has carved out a nice career for himself post Saved by the Bell...the most successful of all the cast...that being said this Passage show still looks silly and totally dumbed down (even though the book series does sound decent)...as far as the show Pitch, that was also cancelled after one season...
post #23 of 152 Old 01-14-2019, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked: 2352
More post-apocalyptic zombies on the loose? Hmmmm, where have I seen this before? (Hint: everywhere)

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #24 of 152 Old 01-14-2019, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6874 Post(s)
Liked: 15461
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
It is getting a lot of rave reviews, can't wait to watch it.

Spoiler!
I’m a glass is half full kinda guy, myself. Looking forward to this show too.

post #25 of 152 Old 01-14-2019, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Well we survived Under the Dome , the 100 and The Last Ship. We can survive anything at this point. and if its horrible (crosses fingers as others have said the trilogy was great) well we can gripe about something new.
post #26 of 152 Old 01-14-2019, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetachi View Post
Well we survived Under the Dome , the 100 and The Last Ship. We can survive anything at this point. and if its horrible (crosses fingers as others have said the trilogy was great) well we can gripe about something new.
I was reading a review on another site which I thought was funny...said this show was good for a broadcast drama and it was actually trying to be better then average...it's not F/X or HBO quality but compared to the rest of broadcast TV this is not as bad...so it's good when compared to those other crappy shows you mentioned but it's not close to anything really good on cable...TV for the masses and not for the discerning crowd...if you normally love crappy shows like Magnum PI or Under the Dome and think those are the greatest shows ever then you will love The Passage
archiguy, ss9001 and Zookster like this.
post #27 of 152 Old 01-14-2019, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 923
The books are brilliant, not just for their story and characters, but for their literary quality. Vastly deep and evocative. The presence of "vampires" and an eventually post-apocalyptic setting is no more stereotypical than the presence of humans and a pre-apocalyptic setting would be.

It's about the story, the characters, the writing, the acting, the production quality, which we will have to see to judge. But the raw material from which the show is being built is of the highest order, so the show has a head start.
post #28 of 152 Old 01-14-2019, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 84
It was decidedly, "meh." The girl was fantastic, both in how she was written and portrayed. I really enjoyed the books (though it's been years since I read them), and this very linear approach is not what I remember. I'll keep watching for now, but there was not a single element that jumped out that made this a must-see.
archiguy likes this.

David Forbes

My theater
post #29 of 152 Old 01-14-2019, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 611
I enjoyed the pilot. This seems engaging to me, and for a pilot, there was some decent character development to go along with some interesting writing. I will be watching for sure.
WilliamR likes this.
post #30 of 152 Old 01-15-2019, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 195
I'm along for at least the short ride. See how it goes after a few episodes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page