The Rookie with Nathan Fillion on ABC - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 142Likes

post #211 of 240 Old 05-11-2020, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2301 Post(s)
Liked: 3437
Quote:
Originally Posted by yobbo View Post
Fantastic season finale.
Agreed, this is an excellent series with a great cast and Nathan is awesome in the role. We really enjoy it.
Jonas2, Plager8 and mik2h like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 240 Old 05-11-2020, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

The Rookie star Harold Perrineau on that final twist and getting his 'Denzel moment'

Warning: This article contains spoilers for The Rookie season 2 finale, "The Hunt."

Detective Nick Armstrong is a worse cop than we could have ever imagined.

On Sunday's The Rookie season finale, the back half of a two-parter, we discovered just how deep Armstrong's double-crossing went. Not only had he been working for the Armenian mafia for years, but he was still actively trying to help Serj Derian (Themo Melikidze) flee Los Angeles. After a half-hearted attempt to extricate himself from his situation, Armstrong dug in his heels even further.

John Nolan (Nathan Fillion) was dismayed to discover that his friend and mentor Nick Armstrong (Harold Perrineau) was potentially a dirty cop, but he quickly enlisted the help of training officer Nyla Harper (Mekia Cox) to try and prove his theory. When their plot didn't pan out, Nolan even paid a visit to serial killer Rosalind Dyer (Annie Wersching) seeking assistance, and she told him where to find Armstrong's secret stash of weapons and evidence.

But it didn't take long for Armstrong to figure out what Nolan was up to, and he made sure to stay one step ahead of Nolan, moving and planting the evidence in Nolan's home. By the time Nolan took a sledgehammer to most of his walls, Serj had told the cops Nolan was the other traitor on the force. With the cops bearing down, we're left to wonder just how our favorite rookie might get out of this one.

To get the lowdown on Armstrong's double-cross, we called up the dirty cop himself, actor Harold Perrineau, to talk about everything from how far Armstrong might be willing to go to potential parallels with Training Day.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Did you always know Nick was a dirty cop or when did you first learn that? How did it inform your performance?

We knew it was coming. But the mandate was to play it earnestly, play it like he's really there for everybody. He's there to do the job that he's meant to do. I came in to be the knight detective and that's what I was going to do. I was going to be on the side of all of the officers and the rookies and everybody. I played all the things there as real, really grieving for his wife so working late nights, really smart and confident and all those things. The thing was I just never knew what it was that was in the background. Whatever Armstrong was doing, I didn't have any idea about it and so none of that would come through during the performance.

When you signed on for The Rookie, how many episodes was it for and then how did your role evolve?

It was originally supposed to be five episodes and end sort of in the middle of the season, and then he kept going.

So you knew things were going to take a turn, but you didn't know exactly what the details of that were?

Exactly. We started off, and I was asking [showrunner Alexi Hawley] if it was like Denzel [Washington] in that movie with Ethan Hawke — Training Day. I was like, "Is he like Alonzo?" He's like, "No, he is not. He's not that dude." We were really clear right off it wasn't maniacal. I could've had , it would've been great (laughs).

Nick tells John he got in with the mob because of his wife’s medical bills, though he was clearly already doing it when his wife died because of what Rosalind found. Is that the full story or might there still be more to it?

Nick Armstrong is too smart and too calculated, so he gives you what he needs to give you when he needs to give it to you. And so I think he gave him enough to say, "Look, John, this is a genuine friendship. I genuinely like you. I had stuff I had to do. I had bills, my wife, I was caught up, and I'm a little bit of an action junkie." All those things. I think he told him some of it. I don't think he told him everything with the Derians. I don't think he told him everything with capturing Rosalind. There was so much going on with Rosalind and Armstrong that I don't think you'll get to the bottom of it.

For a moment, it seemed like he might redeem himself and try to back out of things, but instead he framed Nolan. What do you think fed that decision? It seems incredibly cruel for someone he’s been mentoring.

I think Armstrong is a guy that at the end of the day will always try to save himself. There are people like that. They're great and smart and they're really helpful; they have a lot of knowledge. But at the end of the day, if it comes down to you or him, he's always going to choose him. He's always going to bet on himself. There was a moment that he really tried to get it back, tried to redeem [himself], but I think once he shot Erin it was almost impossible to get out of it in any way clean. Even as an audience member, I remember reading it and I was like, "He shot that pretty little girl! He is done! It's over." Killing that kid, there's no way they redeem it, so you got to push it. You try to live another day. That's really where Armstrong was just like, "John, I really like you. It's just too easy. I just set you up because you're the most earnest." In that cynical way, Armstrong is like, "Nobody is that earnest, so I'm going to frame you."

Has he always been playing John, or do you think there’s real affection there, especially when it comes to stuff like giving him advice on Grace?

I think this all happened because Serj Derian lost it. I think Armstrong would have kept going and kept doing all the things he was doing, but this one wild card bad guy made a bad move, and everybody called in their chips. I think Armstrong really liked John and that's why I liked playing it like that. I liked playing like he wasn't planning on ever getting caught. Nobody plans on getting caught. They just keep planning on how do I keep this going? He would have kept going had this event not happened.

How far is Armstrong willing to go to perpetuate this lie?

That is really tricky. If there's a season 3 and we get to explore that, that'll be interesting. Armstrong will always bet on himself. Armstrong will push it all the way to the end; that'll be the most dramatic. He'll push and push and push to try to frame John, probably until he has to die. That's a theory, but I think — even given the genuine friendship — he'll never say, "Alright you got me, I'll just go to prison." I don't think he'll want to do that. That's a terrible fate. You might as well shoot yourself. You don't want to put yourself in prison as a cop. That's not gonna be fun.

Is there any hope for redemption at this point?

I like Armstrong. I liked the character. There are a bunch of really great writers; if there's a way to redeem him, I think they'll find it. It'll be hard. Like threading a needle. I don't think it has to be the end because all that stuff I said about him betting on himself, that's me, Harold the actor, trying to figure out how to play it. If there is a way to save it, they'd be able to figure it out. Paying some kind of penance, having to be in prison, and being a mole. Or we find out it actually is a double double-cross. He could be really actually working for the FBI and he has to set up John because he's so deep undercover. We could find it for sure. But that's an Alexi call because it his show and it's where he wants to go. But I truly do dig Armstrong and I wish the best for him.

Between the LAPD and the mob, has Armstrong signed his death warrant? Is there any scenario going forward where he doesn’t end up dead?

If it weren't a TV show. If it were real life, he hasn't signed his death warrant. He's gonna keep playing cards and figure it out. In a TV show, John's our hero, so we can't let him go down. The show can't be bad detective; it's called The Rookie. We gotta save the hero. I enjoyed being there. I think they enjoyed me being there as well. If we could find a way to keep playing, I would love that. If not, it's great fun. But if I get a Denzel moment, you should know for sure he's going to die (laughs). I could still get my King Kong moment one day.

https://ew.com/tv/the-rookie-harold-...-finale-twist/

post #213 of 240 Old 05-11-2020, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
I kept thinking the detective was going to be bad or something, don't know why but I was convinced. Glad they didn't go that route.
I called it a while ago!!!!!
yobbo likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 240 Old 05-11-2020, 09:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Did they really telegraph it early in season 2? It seemed pretty out-of-character for Armstrong...it was still entertaining

I also don't think Nolan would lose all his wits at that this point and go at it alone....but then, they don't really have a cliffhanger for next season. I get that he was paniced but it seems like John would have do the simple step of recording his conversation with Armstong when he re-entered the house - or had Harper back him up.

I guess it was good for network tv
mik2h likes this.

Josh
post #215 of 240 Old 05-12-2020, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
Did they really telegraph it early in season 2? It seemed pretty out-of-character for Armstrong...it was still entertaining

I also don't think Nolan would lose all his wits at that this point and go at it alone....but then, they don't really have a cliffhanger for next season. I get that he was paniced but it seems like John would have do the simple step of recording his conversation with Armstong when he re-entered the house - or had Harper back him up.

I guess it was good for network tv
Just a vibe I got from him. According to the article he knew they were going that route too.
lax01 likes this.

post #216 of 240 Old 05-12-2020, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked: 6081
This season’s contrived ending reminded me of why my son refuses to ever watch Big Four tv dramas. Nevertheless, I’ll stick with it next season anyway because of my high regard for Nathan Fillion and the high quality of the writing of many episodes. Still ...

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #217 of 240 Old 05-12-2020, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Wonder how this will play out, is it going to be multiple episodes of him trying to prove himself, or will they believe him right away.

post #218 of 240 Old 05-12-2020, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wonder how this will play out, is it going to be multiple episodes of him trying to prove himself, or will they believe him right away.
And how long can this "final month" actually be...are they going to introduce new rookies in Season 3? How long can they keep this concept going? John going to be promoted to training officer after year 1? That would seem unrealistic

Josh
post #219 of 240 Old 05-12-2020, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
And how long can this "final month" actually be...are they going to introduce new rookies in Season 3? How long can they keep this concept going? John going to be promoted to training officer after year 1? That would seem unrealistic
The Rookie title means nothing to me, he was a rookie that is now a sergeant, show can still be called the rookie. He is now a detective, can still be called the rookie, he started at that. It is not like the show is going to pick up new people mid way through that are not going to watch the beginning so everyone knows where he came from.

post #220 of 240 Old 05-12-2020, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 1441
I'd cheer its' end if Nathan Fillion and company would fire up Firefly again.
lax01, Archaea, WilliamR and 2 others like this.
post #221 of 240 Old 05-12-2020, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 3339 Post(s)
Liked: 2204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post

AMEN Brother! I like The Rookie a lot, but it ain't no Firefly!

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #222 of 240 Old 05-13-2020, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
That would be a glorious day indeed!
Archaea likes this.

post #223 of 240 Old 05-21-2020, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6389 Post(s)
Liked: 5883
post #224 of 240 Old 05-21-2020, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3061 Post(s)
Liked: 2886
They had to, his house is a mess.

Michael
Josh Z and yobbo like this.
post #225 of 240 Old 05-22-2020, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked: 6081
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
Good news! Despite my default antipathy toward overlong Big 4 network series, I rose above my general dislike of such shows and watched this series. Unsurprisingly, I have enjoyed it. Fillion does a better job of using his easy going charm boy persona than any actor I can remember since James Garner. If I squint my eyes I can see Bret Maverick.
Garrett Adams, DDD and WilliamR like this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #226 of 240 Old 05-23-2020, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 237
This is the network show I enjoy the most and was the most concerned about getting renewed. I'm so happy it's coming back. I love the characters and the way they dig deep into the their backstories. Very enjoyable.
gwsat and WilliamR like this.
post #227 of 240 Old 05-24-2020, 11:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plager8 View Post
This is the network show I enjoy the most and was the most concerned about getting renewed. I'm so happy it's coming back. I love the characters and the way they dig deep into the their backstories. Very enjoyable.
I like it because they don’t waste much time on their backstories...or is it that I just don’t pay much attention when they do? Not being a relationship kind of shallow guy, I like the show because it fills the time with mostly short little crimes that take no mental power or devotion to follow, which is made to order for me.
post #228 of 240 Old 05-25-2020, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacojoe View Post
I like it because they don’t waste much time on their backstories...or is it that I just don’t pay much attention when they do? Not being a relationship kind of shallow guy, I like the show because it fills the time with mostly short little crimes that take no mental power or devotion to follow, which is made to order for me.
I don't really consider myself a shallow guy, but I do like the balance between action and character studies this show provides.
cyfman likes this.
post #229 of 240 Old 05-26-2020, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter

The only negative I have is I don't like Nathan and his ex-wife, I REALLY liked him and that federal agent together. Loved their chemistry and always loved that actress.

post #230 of 240 Old 05-26-2020, 05:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 1220
Quote:
The only negative I have is I don't like Nathan and his ex-wife, I REALLY liked him and that federal agent together. Loved their chemistry and always loved that actress.
I believe Ali Larter is his former college girlfriend, from before he got married, but yes -- I agree that Sarah Shahi's Jessica Russo was a much more interesting character.

I don't think we've ever seen Nolan's ex-wife.
gwsat and WilliamR like this.
post #231 of 240 Old 05-26-2020, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
I believe Ali Larter is his former college girlfriend, from before he got married, but yes -- I agree that Sarah Shahi's Jessica Russo was a much more interesting character.

I don't think we've ever seen Nolan's ex-wife.
Well snap, I thought that was his ex this whole time. Oh well, she can still go.

post #232 of 240 Old 06-08-2020, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter

Will The Rookie Season 3 Bring Lucy/ Tim Romance? Showrunner Warns That Would Be a 'Huge Line' to Cross

By Matt Webb Mitovich / June 7 2020, 1:00 PM PDT

The dynamic between The Rookie‘s Officer Lucy Chen and TO Tim Bradford may have warmed up some during Season 2 of ABC’s light procedural, but that “intimacy” likely won’t segue anytime soon into romance.

From go, Tim (played by Eric Winter) was a gruff, all-business TO committed to cutting his “boot” little slack, all in the name of shaping Lucy (Melissa O’Neil) to be the best officer she can be. But in Season 2, Lucy’s very close brush with death, at the hands of Rosalind Dyer’s protege, Caleb Wright, affected Tim deeply — in part because he felt responsible for nudging Lucy into what turned out to be the date from Hell. In the aftermath of that harrowing ordeal, Tim seemed different, nurturing almost, especially when at Lucy’s hospital bedside he showed up with what he knew to be her specific take-out food of choice.

The Rookie showrunner Alexi Hawley admits there is now a certain “intimacy” between the TO and rookie, but warns that to take things too far would make hypocrites of the series’ writing staff.

Surveying the “Chenford” dynamic, Hawley told TVLine, “The actors definitely brought it. I mean, they’re just so good individually and together.” Looking back to the drama’s launch, he said, “Tim was always designed to be a character who was much more complicated than he seemed, and Lucy was always designed to be a really strong ,empathetic character, but I think [what we’ve seen] is the magic of chemistry that happens that you just can’t know when you’re writing a pilot.”

That magic, however, won’t make a workplace romance appear. “We do walk a line — me maybe more than some of the staff — about how there’s an intimacy between them that’s born from an incredibly heightened experience over these last two seasons,” Hawley noted. “But Tim would never cross that line. She’s his rookie and he would never even consider crossing that line. So while I’m obviously aware that there’s a big ‘shipping there, and I appreciate any kind of passion about the show, that’s a huge line [to cross]” for a TO and his padawan. (Eric Winter said same during a fall 2019 TV Insider interview: “It’s something that Bradford would never organically do, being a superior to her.”)

Hawley then pointed to the Season 1 plot point that cast aspersion on the secret romance between Chen and fellow rookie John Nolan (Nathan Fillion). “We’d be hypocrites [to write a Lucy/Tim romance] because we made it very clear in those first four or five episodes that female officers unfairly get tagged if they sleep with cops, and it’s why Nolan and Lucy couldn’t be together — and ultimately I think that was the right move. I mean, he was on the rebound from a 20-year marriage and she was 20 years his junior, and so it worked out the way it was supposed to, but if we turned around and threw [Lucy and Tim] together, that would be somewhat hypocritical.”

As for what is ahead for Chen and Bradford in Season 3, which will premiere… actually, ABC hasn’t said boo about its 2020-21 scheduling… Hawley shared in our Season 2 post mortem Q&A, “Tim has made a commitment to at least try and figure out what it’s going to be like with Rachel [now living] in New York.” Lucy meanwhile “is at the beginning of this relationship [with firefighter Emmett Lang] — but she’s probably still got some stuff she’s working out, even if it’s subconsciously, about what happened to her with Caleb back only a few months prior. I just don’t want to gloss over that.”

https://tvline.com/2020/06/07/the-ro...nford-romance/

post #233 of 240 Old 06-12-2020, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 298
What are the odds this gets cancelled now because Heaven forbid there is anything depicting the police anymore?
post #234 of 240 Old 06-12-2020, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post
What are the odds this gets cancelled now because Heaven forbid there is anything depicting the police anymore?
hah, I always thought they portrayed the LAPD in a pretty positive light - focus on training and helping people - not just killing people

It sadly seems like its a far cry from the real LAPD

Anyway, I am probably line-stepping on politics...

Josh
post #235 of 240 Old 06-12-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
hah, I always thought they portrayed the LAPD in a pretty positive light - focus on training and helping people - not just killing people

It sadly seems like its a far cry from the real LAPD

Anyway, I am probably line-stepping on politics...
They do show the police in a positive light, but the department they show is also very diverse. Of course the current major storyline is all about a corrupt cop too, so I guess they cover all the bases.
lax01 likes this.
post #236 of 240 Old 06-12-2020, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 5326 Post(s)
Liked: 4421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post
The show was already announced for renewal and contracts were signed, the cast was locked-in, etc., so I imagine it would be difficult for ABC to change their minds and cancel it now. However, I would expect some changes in the way the scripts are written going forward.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
post #237 of 240 Old 06-12-2020, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

This show has some strong non-white leads/in charge of the whole division. The whole cast does a stellar job on this show. Seems rather positive compared to other shows. I doubt it will be cancelled (hoping not, really like it).

post #238 of 240 Old 06-12-2020, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 5326 Post(s)
Liked: 4421
Quote:
This show has some strong non-white leads/in charge of the whole division. The whole cast does a stellar job on this show. Seems rather positive compared to other shows.
The positive tone is exactly what people are upset about. I enjoy the show, but it's clearly one of the many "copaganda" series that bends over backwards to present the police department in a positive light that is, as we've seen, less than realistic to how police often behave in the real world.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
post #239 of 240 Old 06-12-2020, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3061 Post(s)
Liked: 2886
So more body cam footage (which gives me a headache, anyway), and more inter-racial and gay relationships (I was about to say "marriages," which just lets you know how old I am).
If I wanted news, I'd watch the news. I sincerely hope it remains entertainment.
Michael
post #240 of 240 Old 06-17-2020, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

ABC’s ‘The Rookie’ Will Address Issue Of Police Brutality In Season 3

By Peter White

Cop dramas have been under the microscope following the death of George Floyd and the subsequent protests against police brutality.

ABC’s The Rookie, which stars Nathan Fillion as John Nolan, the oldest rookie in the LAPD, is taking steps to address these issues as it heads into season three.

ABC Entertainment President Karey Burke told Deadline that creator Alexi Hawley has brought in a number of experts to discuss the issues around policing in America in 2020.

“Alexi Hawley is a really thoughtful ally and partner and has been in the writers’ room for some time, already planning to address the current conversation going on around police work,” she said. “I’m impressed with his thoughtfulness and leadership about hearing and adapting the current conversations to the storylines. It’s a diverse writers room and I’m hearing that the conversations going on in that room are inspired and give me hope that that show will address and not ignore the conversations around policing.”

The show, which also stars Mekia Cox, Alyssa Diaz, Richard T. Jones, Titus Makin, Melissa O’Neil and Eric Winter, is produced by Entertainment One (eOne) and ABC Studios.

Hawley exec produces with Mark Gordon, Nathan Fillion, Michelle Chapman, Jon Steinberg, Bill Norcross and Terence Paul Winter.

https://deadline.com/2020/06/abc-the...-3-1202961047/
lax01 and Plager8 like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page