post #31 of 150 Old 06-29-2018, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
is this HBO's version of Showtime's Billions?

It's definitely HBO's great big "middle finger" to the Murdoch clan; one huge media empire taking a shot at another one in the form of a nasty dark satire.

Don't fear the Reaper. Fear the Repack!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 150 Old 07-02-2018, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I know that it IS possible to take this show as a full-on drama and not notice the satire, but if you look at the production credits -- Executive Producers include Will Ferrell and Adam McKay (who has been Will Ferrell's partner on almost everything he's ever done including Anchorman, Talladega Nights, Step Brothers -- plus he's executive produced Drunk History, Eastbound and Down) and that Adam was the director of the first episode, it is impossible to believe that this is intended as anything but deep, dark comedy. There have been a number of scenes that have played out in such absurd ways that I can't help but burst out laughing.

Clearly this is intended as a satire in every way imaginable. Satire about the Murdochs? Maybe. But it seems to me to also be about Disney (note the theme park and cruise line angles), and all of the other gigantic media conglomerates that seem to be taking over and owning so many disparate lines of business these days.
Ben23 likes this.

Owner: Sony XBR-55A1E, Oppo BDP-103, Kenwood VR5900, Meadowlark Audio Heron-i
post #33 of 150 Old 07-02-2018, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_bernstein View Post
I know that it IS possible to take this show as a full-on drama and not notice the satire, but if you look at the production credits -- Executive Producers include Will Ferrell and Adam McKay (who has been Will Ferrell's partner on almost everything he's ever done including Anchorman, Talladega Nights, Step Brothers -- plus he's executive produced Drunk History, Eastbound and Down) and that Adam was the director of the first episode, it is impossible to believe that this is intended as anything but deep, dark comedy. There have been a number of scenes that have played out in such absurd ways that I can't help but burst out laughing.

Clearly this is intended as a satire in every way imaginable. Satire about the Murdochs? Maybe. But it seems to me to also be about Disney (note the theme park and cruise line angles), and all of the other gigantic media conglomerates that seem to be taking over and owning so many disparate lines of business these days.
Media industry watchers viewing Succession also cite elements of the comings and goings of Sumner Redstone, the National Amusements/Paramount/CBS/Viacom mogul who had to be removed from decision-making power following a court-ordered psych evaluation when he was 92 years old. (He is now in his late 90s, IIRC) What precipitated that were the very "Logan Roy-like" things he was doing before their board had to meet in a contentious session about "issues of succession" with the Redstone family. And you are correct about the elements of the Disney empire being in there, too!

Regarding "the Mouse," HBO's uncanny timing of Succession's rapid renewal is no coincidence, with the forthcoming Disney acquisition of so many of Murdoch's 21st Century Fox assets. HBO is definitely messing with Murdoch by picking the show up when they did, of that I have no doubt. Speaking of messing with Murdoch, there was a story about a new "demented" cartoon character scripted to appear in Disney's animated Ducktails show, but was written out after it became clear that perhaps Bob Iger himself wasn't too happy about it. The character's name? Rupert Murduck!

BTW, an even more accurate--and very wicked--parody depiction of Murdoch and company appears regularly on the sketch program Tracey Ullman's Show from England's BBC1, which is available on HBO OnDemand.

Last edited by Al_the_xmtr_tech; 07-05-2018 at 06:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 150 Old 07-02-2018, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 323
I watched it once but not again. The crude language is continuous and over the top. Perhaps this is a draw for some viewers. It seems like a substitute for a good script. Nothing even close to this in Billions.

Spoiler!
post #35 of 150 Old 07-03-2018, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I think the grand nephew is going to wind up running the company.
lax01 likes this.
post #36 of 150 Old 07-03-2018, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpillar View Post
I think the grand nephew is going to wind up running the company.
I had a similar thought...he seems to be making the right moves and aligning himself with the right people (and covering himself when necessary). Would be truly ridiculous but whatever

Josh
post #37 of 150 Old 07-05-2018, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 554
"I'm pretty sure that's boa constrictors."

It seems like the show is a new mix of elements:
  • Production Value - It's filmed like a cinematic drama. The most recent episode's Thanksgiving Dinner scenes had a very Godfather-esque color timing. When at the office, the look and feel reminds me of All The President's Men and Network.
  • Music - the dramatically scored music is used often enough that when one starts paying attention to it that it would seem it's a bit too overt. However, it would seem to be intentional as that element would also seem to be a satire of how dramas use music to punch up otherwise mundane material.
  • Writing - I think an analogy would be that they hired 4 writers. The first two writers they told to write as a serious drama, the third as "Curb Your Enthusiasm," and the fourth as "Arrested Development."

Life is Lambertian
post #38 of 150 Old 07-09-2018, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 1087
Succession was great last night. No hints or spoilers but if you haven't watched this episode get to it.
Keenan likes this.
post #39 of 150 Old 07-09-2018, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2453 Post(s)
Liked: 972
Yup, Bryan Cox killed it.

Tom and Greg's adventures were amusing too.

Shiv was trying to get with another guy and Kendall got steamrolled.
post #40 of 150 Old 07-10-2018, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
I'm really enjoying this show the dysfunction is great.

I want to ring Romans neck.

Another Sunday show is "Pose" but I see no thread and I can only think why not is what it's about, (80's ball culture in NY.)

It's the best show on TV IMO and so educational and real life stories.

And talk about well done. Wow!
Al_the_xmtr_tech likes this.

These are just my opinions.
post #41 of 150 Old 07-11-2018, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

I've got the feeling that the forthcoming episode (7/15) is gonna be EPIC, with Logan back up to "full steam" (more or less), and now aware of those who have been plotting against him! Since their "coup" attempt failed miserably, he'll likely be spitting fire from now on, and life will not be very easy for the Waystar-Royco board. And I'm loving how the series has fun drawing from real-life events, such as that godawful Manhattan traffic gridlock that often results from VIP visits and TSA "false alarms."
Ben23 likes this.

post #42 of 150 Old 07-11-2018, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I think Kendall must shake out of the stupor he was in after being fired because the previews show he sues Logan.

Actually there are two more episodes left in this season so maybe they make the lawsuit part of the cliffhanger or leave it unresolved as of the season finale.
post #43 of 150 Old 07-13-2018, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Chris Ryan and Andy Greenwald talk about the show on the 7/12/18 episode of The Watch podcast from theringer.com.

Their discussion of the show starts around 25 minutes in.

They like just about every actor's performance in the show, though after 6 episodes, they think the main characters are the 3 siblings, Tom, Greg and Logan and Marcia. They marvel at the actors playing Tom and Shiv, a Brit and an Australian, with specific American accents and mannerisms. Matthew MacFayden is a Brit playing a character originally from Minnesota, in a NY setting.

Chris Ryan thinks that the plot to have Logan be sick and unable to really speak until this last episode was a way to keep Bryan Cox from overshadowing the other actors and their characters.

Of course Logan being sick is the occasion for all this maneuvering in the first season to succeed him, edge him out.
post #44 of 150 Old 07-16-2018, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Looks like being in the lucky sperm club ain't so lucky.

Brilliant show.

post #45 of 150 Old 07-16-2018, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

FWIW, the attack on Logan Roy in last night's episode is based upon this real-life incident involving Rupert Murdoch about seven years ago. Just change "pie" to "pee", LOL!

post #46 of 150 Old 07-16-2018, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Big difference between being hit with a pie and pee.

Did Rupert do family therapy after the pie attack too?

Imag8ne if he had a daughter cozying up to his political enemy.
post #47 of 150 Old 07-29-2018, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

It's winding down the first season.

It's every bit as brilliant as Billions.

The dialogue in Billions is crafted with obscure references while the dialogue in Succession is just stream of consciousness filtered through well-educated rich people wanting to vulgar it up -- the first is discourse from people who want to show off how smart and educated they are while the second is from people who aren't as showy but end up displaying their cynical brilliance nevertheless.
scott_bernstein likes this.
post #48 of 150 Old 07-30-2018, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's must see TV.
scott_bernstein likes this.

post #49 of 150 Old 08-05-2018, 10:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Pretty let down by the ending...but I guess they gotta save something for next season

Josh
post #50 of 150 Old 08-06-2018, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
Pretty let down by the ending...but I guess they gotta save something for next season
Incident isn’t new but the acting is intense. In the Inside the Episode, they said Jeremy Strong insisted on being doused with ice water repeatedly so he can portray the confusion Kendall was feeling as he made his way back.

It does make sense that Kendall folded to Logan after being high all weekend, then the stress of presenting the letter, then the confrontation with the siblings and of course the remorse over what happened.

They’re all messed up in their own ways. Extremely rich kids could just live off their trust funds but except for Conor, they’re trying to do something with their lives, to somehow prove that they’re worthy of their fortunes.
post #51 of 150 Old 08-06-2018, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

How you know whats a great series is when the episodes get better and better.

Fantastic season finale.

post #52 of 150 Old 08-08-2018, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 681
I just binged season 1 and I have to say I really liked it. Juicy with great acting and interesting and quirky rich folks. Really good stuff IMO. Is this renewed?
post #53 of 150 Old 08-08-2018, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 5126 Post(s)
Liked: 4574
I've read multiple articles which state how the show starts out slow but really picks up steam and gets really good after Episode 3...I might have to binge watch this sometime before Season 2 hits...

https://twitter.com/andygreenwald/st...88171267375104
post #54 of 150 Old 08-08-2018, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Takes awhile to get a good read on characters. I want to go back and watch those earlier episodes again at some point.

One thing The Ringer guys noticed is that they would have the whole cast get together at these big events and riff aga8nst each other. That may not be sustainable for next season but we’ll see.

Also not clear if they can do the succession battle for more than 3 seasons.
post #55 of 150 Old 08-09-2018, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
I just binged season 1 and I have to say I really liked it. Juicy with great acting and interesting and quirky rich folks. Really good stuff IMO. Is this renewed?
Yes
Don S likes this.

Owner: Sony XBR-55A1E, Oppo BDP-103, Kenwood VR5900, Meadowlark Audio Heron-i
post #56 of 150 Old 08-15-2018, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3026 Post(s)
Liked: 3969
Quote:
I agree .. I finished a 3 day binge last night, and the show just gradually grew on me .. the Finale with a blubbering Kendall in the final scene was not that great, but, I suppose it was designed to intro Season 2 where he re-joins the "Dysfunctional Clan Business" ..

Roman is fairly funny, in a weird way .. Connor (Alan Ruck) hit's it out of the park as the what ever he thinks he is Dude .. Brian Cox :: Superb, IMO .. Shiv lives up to her name .. Tom is just plain a man grasping for Status because he feels like he gets no respect ..

I'll take "Billions" over this any day, but, that's not to say "Succession" is not worth my time ..

It proves that no matter your Strata in the scheme of Society in General, dysfunctionality can and does exist throughout .. like a Train Wreck, I just could not stop watching the further I got into it ..

Looking forward to "The Deuce" cranking back up ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #57 of 150 Old 08-15-2018, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I agree .. I finished a 3 day binge last night, and the show just gradually grew on me .. the Finale with a blubbering Kendall in the final scene was not that great, but, I suppose it was designed to intro Season 2 where he re-joins the "Dysfunctional Clan Business" ..

Roman is fairly funny, in a weird way .. Connor (Alan Ruck) hit's it out of the park as the what ever he thinks he is Dude .. Brian Cox :: Superb, IMO .. Shiv lives up to her name .. Tom is just plain a man grasping for Status because he feels like he gets no respect ..

I'll take "Billions" over this any day, but, that's not to say "Succession" is not worth my time ..

It proves that no matter your Strata in the scheme of Society in General, dysfunctionality can and does exist throughout .. like a Train Wreck, I just could not stop watching the further I got into it ..

Looking forward to "The Deuce" cranking back up ..
Yup. I agree with all of this. Roman is really funny sometimes. It’s a show I definitely enjoyed and one whose season 2 I am very much looking forward to. As you say, it’s no Billions, but it’s definitely worth a watch.
mgkdragn likes this.
post #58 of 150 Old 08-15-2018, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3026 Post(s)
Liked: 3969
Quote:
Yup. I agree with all of this. Roman is really funny sometimes. It’s a show I definitely enjoyed and one whose season 2 I am very much looking forward to. As you say, it’s no Billions, but it’s definitely worth a watch.
I saw Roman as the "kid brother" .. and, still, very much, a kid / Class Clown / etc ..

Shiv in that form fitting dress at the Wedding Reception .. ?? Hot, Hot, Hot ..
Don S likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #59 of 150 Old 08-15-2018, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm starting to like it more than Billions.

Got tired of the Axe vs. Chuck show. And then this season, they must have said "whoops" and undid the Ice Juice sabotage case, because the show is too dependent on the two antagonists. Supposedly they will work together but you know that won't last.

The first 3 episodes of Succession are slow and then from episode 4 on, it just keeps building. I'm going to have to watch the season again, especially those early shows.

Jeremy Strong as Kendall is suppose to be hardcore method. Won't rehearse with anyone and for his Chappaquiddick escape, he had them pour ice water on him repeatedly so that he's shivering all the way through.

The dialogue is brilliant too. Billions gives their characters all these crafted lines with pop culture references but Succession is like stream of consciousness bebop.

In Billions, they go to great pains to make Axe a cool guy. He goes to Metallica concerts (on his private jet but still). In Succession, the Roy kids are filthy rich but their name has been tainted. Kendall can't give money away to these start ups. Meanwhile Roman uses his money to accentuate the fact that he's an *******, like when he offered that kid a million bucks if he hit a HR in that softball game.
post #60 of 150 Old 08-16-2018, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I like both of them, though Billions a bit more at this point. There is lots to like about Succession though IMO. good to be surprised every now and then :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page