Advertisement

post #62 of 150 Old 08-24-2018, 06:15 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 14360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
I like both of them, though Billions a bit more at this point. There is lots to like about Succession though IMO. good to be surprised every now and then :-)
To me, Billions and Succession are two different types of shows. Succession is a dark comedy and Billions is not. I really liked Succession and Billions has been awesome. Let's see what kind of "legs" Succession has.
Garrett Adams likes this.

Make me grow brainiac fingers, but with more hair!
post #63 of 150 Old 12-19-2018, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2453 Post(s)
Liked: 972
Succession is one of the top shows of 2018 in Emily Nussbaum's list.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/20...t-2018-edition

Not seeing Billions on too many list so the better show about the 1% is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 150 Old 05-08-2019, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Season 2 trailer:

They're running it and other promos for the show now but the second season premiers in August.

Oh well ...
post #65 of 150 Old 07-11-2019, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4070 Post(s)
Liked: 3792
post #66 of 150 Old 07-11-2019, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Gonna be awesome.

Thought about watching the Loudest Voice on Showtime but it’s gotten middling reviews.
post #67 of 150 Old 08-06-2019, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Good reviews so far for season 2.

I'm sure there will be more reviews this week until the premiere on Sunday.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/su...pe=top_critics
Keenan likes this.
post #68 of 150 Old 08-13-2019, 03:35 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 14360
S2 off to a great start! It looks like it going to be no holds barred.
Keenan, scott_bernstein and Ph8te like this.

Make me grow brainiac fingers, but with more hair!
post #69 of 150 Old 08-13-2019, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I started watching the first few episodes of season 1 again before season 2.

Yeah every one of the siblings want to become the heir apparent, even Conor to an extent, though he knows they don't take him that seriously.

The banker gave Logan the straight dope. The traditional media business, especially newspapers, is doomed. But that media lets Logan do his "big dick" swinging with politicians and such.

So he isn't giving that up.

Meanwhile Shiv is helping fake Bernie Sanders run for president and so she has to decide on which horse to bet on.
post #70 of 150 Old 08-13-2019, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 508
That was an amazing episode. Brian Cox deserves an Emmy for "best portrayal of a Pure Evil Bastard." Did anyone notice how quickly Logan's lawyers were able to "fix" Kendall's problem with the accident investigation? Once again, the series demonstrates how "the one percent are not like the rest of us" when it comes to getting into trouble with the law.

And when Logan told Shiv about who he secretly wants to succeed him, totally against her character--she actually falls for it! The hateful spitfire instantly morphs into Daddy's Little Girl and starts dreaming about how she'll re-decorate the Board Room. She believes him? Wow...maybe she's really the one in who's non compos mentis. Logan has made a masterful attempt to divide and de-rail the rest of the family who were plotting to wrestle the Waystar-Royco empire away from his grip, and it looks like it just may work.

Hilarious how everyone keeps noticing about how bad Kendall looks, all while he seems to constantly remain one hiccup away from a Total Nervous Breakdown.

And...that bit about a disgruntled contractor placing a bag of dead raccoons in the chimney to stink the joint up? That actually has happened in real life! It's an old trick, believe it or not. All I'll say is...watch out for what can transpire when rival real estate agents cross paths. When it comes to dirty tricks and "gettin' even," some of them can be as nasty as the Roy clan.

Don't fear the Reaper. Fear the Repack!
post #71 of 150 Old 08-20-2019, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

From Deadline,

‘Succession’ Renewed For Season 3 By HBO

Quote:
On the heels of strong ratings for its season 2 premiere and five Emmy nominations for its freshman run, HBO has renewed its hit family saga Succession for a third season...
https://deadline.com/2019/08/success...bo-1202672468/
yobbo likes this.
post #72 of 150 Old 08-20-2019, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Many sites are recapping and now a lot of twitter activity and people culling quotes.

It's not quite as heavy on one-liners as Veep was but I've seen some compare some of the dialog to the poetry of Deadwood.
post #73 of 150 Old 08-20-2019, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3026 Post(s)
Liked: 3969
The show takes "Soap Opera" to the highest level I would almost expect possible .. Season 2 has just been great so far ..

The Kendall Coverup was just some icing on the cake .. and, he acted like it was just, "Oh, well, OK"

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #74 of 150 Old 08-20-2019, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 5126 Post(s)
Liked: 4574
how does the linear HBO channel fit in with WarnerMedia's new streaming platform?...will the linear channel still be the destination for HBO's top shelf offerings or are they focusing on making the digital platform the defacto top tier?
post #75 of 150 Old 08-20-2019, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
The show takes "Soap Opera" to the highest level I would almost expect possible .. Season 2 has just been great so far ..

The Kendall Coverup was just some icing on the cake .. and, he acted like it was just, "Oh, well, OK"
I think he was shellshocked. He did try diving back in a couple of times to try to pull the kid out.

Then he got to his room and tried to play it cool but then Logan busted him and he caved.

Logan phrased it perfectly, that he'd forever be known as the rich guy who got a poor kid killed, probably trying to score drugs.

I don't know if it speaks to Kendall's conscience or his ambition that that line worked.
post #76 of 150 Old 09-01-2019, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Fantastic to see the great Holly Hunter now appearing on the series. Hope she'll be in many more episodes--she steals the show tonight, playing a board member of a rival CNN-type operation that Logan is in talks to buy out.

Succession's scriptwriters seem to be trying for a record in the use of the "f***off" insult, which Logan now utters about six or seven times in every episode.

Connor's bizarre eulogy for "Moe" Lester at the funeral...absolutely HILARIOUS! "...Lester was a man. He worked with us at Waystar. And he died. And now his wife is sad..." That literally was all he could say about the guy without getting obscene or insulting; it was as if he was reading from a heavily redacted script!

It's a good thing that they have that Plexiglas wall up on the roof of the Waystar-Royco building. Kendall definitely seems clinically depressed and has got some kind of "moth to a flame" situation going on with that precipice.

Loved how the underlying theme of this one seemed to alternate between "panic" and "obscene snark."

post #77 of 150 Old 09-01-2019, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_the_xmtr_tech View Post
Fantastic to see the great Holly Hunter now appearing on the series. Hope she'll be in many more episodes--she steals the show tonight, playing a board member of a rival CNN-type operation that Logan is in talks to buy out.

Succession's scriptwriters seem to be trying for a record in the use of the "f***off" insult, which Logan now utters about six or seven times in every episode.

Connor's bizarre eulogy for "Moe" Lester at the funeral...absolutely HILARIOUS! "...Lester was a man. He worked with us at Waystar. And he died. And now his wife is sad..." That literally was all he could say about the guy without getting obscene or insulting; it was as if he was reading from a heavily redacted script!

It's a good thing that they have that Plexiglas wall up on the roof of the Waystar-Royco building. Kendall definitely seems clinically depressed and has got some kind of "moth to a flame" situation going on with that precipice.

Loved how the underlying theme of this one seemed to alternate between "panic" and "obscene snark."
I just started watching this show recently and binged the first season. I am really enjoying it. It looks as this season Shiv is the one thats expecting the trophy and is going to be greatly disappointed.

I still can't figure out how Shiv sees ANYTHING in Tom. Besides all his immature insults he is an idiot almost to the level of Roman. What's the value add to her in hanging around with him? Since they have an open marriage it's clearly not the bedroom.
post #78 of 150 Old 09-02-2019, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

In fact, Logan is aware of Kendall's erratic behavior, like using drugs again and shoplifting.

He's just covering it up for him, not getting him the help that he needs. It's only been weeks since he had that accident, not months.

Logan may have worried that Kendall was the guy with the gun. I guess at the beginning of the episode, he's seen in the security cams going out to that deck. By the end of the episode, they've installed higher barriers on that same deck.
Robert Clark likes this.
post #79 of 150 Old 09-02-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

Logan may have worried that Kendall was the guy with the gun. I guess at the beginning of the episode, he's seen in the security cams going out to that deck. By the end of the episode, they've installed higher barriers on that same deck.
Nice pick-up .. I noticed that too ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #80 of 150 Old 09-02-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:

I'm pretty sure the possible Political implications as well as the Biographer woman attending the funeral helped edit down the eulogy to nothing compared to what it originally was ..

Uncle Willie

post #81 of 150 Old 09-02-2019, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Bravo!

LOL! Casual viewers might easily miss that and assume that he keeps going up there because of the privacy and great cellular reception. One thing I've noticed since the beginning of this series is how there's so much metaphorical focus on members of the Roy family "looking down at everyone from high places," with quite a number of scenes taking place in their penthouse-type offices and boardrooms, and of course up on that Waystar-Royco building roof!

post #82 of 150 Old 09-02-2019, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 1087
Despite that fact that every character is pretty despicable I love this show. Week after week Brian Cox puts on an acting class. What are the odds of Kendell doing himself in by the end of this season? It's clearly on his pretty shattered mind. Connor's "eulogy" was a riot and pretty much followed that old adage "if you can't say something nice..." although his twist was say something that sounds like it came from a first grade reader. Brother zalusky is right about Shiv and Tom. He is a world class dolt with some serious anger management issues
lax01 and zalusky like this.
post #83 of 150 Old 09-02-2019, 10:12 AM

At the risk of offending the MeToo movement, it would be great to see Shiv in a pair of tight jeans, or even better, Daisy Dukes .. "Baby got Back .."
lax01 and yobbo like this.

Uncle Willie

post #84 of 150 Old 09-02-2019, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
Despite that fact that every character is pretty despicable I love this show. Week after week Brian Cox puts on an acting class. What are the odds of Kendell doing himself in by the end of this season? It's clearly on his pretty shattered mind. Connor's "eulogy" was a riot and pretty much followed that old adage "if you can't say something nice..." although his twist was say something that sounds like it came from a first grade reader. Brother zalusky is right about Shiv and Tom. He is a world class dolt with some serious anger management issues
So, we should take the ending scene to mean...

Spoiler!

Correct? Hilariously subtle...
Cal1981 likes this.

Josh
post #85 of 150 Old 09-09-2019, 08:31 AM

The use of "Breaking Bread" as a backdrop to discussion and getting to know each other was/is brilliant .. whether it's with Family or a group of strangers, the truth about things tends to come bubbling to the surface ..

This is such a great show .. no episode I can think of ever failed to entertain me .. and no matter how Rich you are, the fundamental disfunction, in many cases, is still the same as the rest of us ..
Don S, Keenan and Al_the_xmtr_tech like this.

Uncle Willie

Last edited by mgkdragn; 09-09-2019 at 09:21 AM.
post #86 of 150 Old 09-09-2019, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

From Vulture, a couple of good reads about the latest episode.

The "rankings" article is something I believe they do after each episode.

Succession Power Rankings: Big, Vulgar, and Boisterous

How Succession Created an Even Weirder Rich Family Than the Roys
post #87 of 150 Old 09-10-2019, 05:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 681
I too enjoy every episode of this series. As @Cal1981 pointed out, every character on this show is pretty despicable (maybe 1 or 2 exceptions). It's odd because I still really like the show even though I feel like I need a shower after watching every episode .
Garrett Adams likes this.
post #88 of 150 Old 09-10-2019, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Succession on HBO

Duplicate

Last edited by Don S; 09-10-2019 at 09:34 AM.
post #89 of 150 Old 09-10-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
I too enjoy every episode of this series. As @Cal1981 pointed out, every character on this show is pretty despicable (maybe 1 or 2 exceptions). It's odd because I still really like the show even though I feel like I need a shower after watching every episode .
Yeah, the show gives new meaning to Soap Opera .. yet, oddly, magnifies the issues of many humans and becomes weirdly relatable .. I don't know about anyone else's family's, but there is a certain reflection that no matter how Rich you are, family's are what they are .. and not all are the Walton's ..
Don S likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #90 of 150 Old 09-10-2019, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Succession on HBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Yeah, the show gives new meaning to Soap Opera .. yet, oddly, magnifies the issues of many humans and becomes weirdly relatable .. I don't know about anyone else's family's, but there is a certain reflection that no matter how Rich you are, family's are what they are .. and not all are the Walton's ..

Very true. I think then combination of the typical/average family disfunction coupled with what comes across to me as such a casual disregard for anyone else makes for very engaging characters. I mean, the robotic way Kendall went about gutting that company for example. I know he has specific issues that contributed to that specific outcome, but jeez, they all have a casual business and personal brutality about them.
mgkdragn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page