Forum Jump: 
 84Likes

post #91 of 154 Old 09-16-2019, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3073 Post(s)
Liked: 4043
Logan backhanding Roman in the mouth took me by surprise .. then, Kendall immediately jumping to Roman's defense .. I wondered whether the guys suffered an abusive childhood via Logan ..

Another great episode ..
Don S, Keenan and Al_the_xmtr_tech like this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 154 Old 09-16-2019, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Amazing how the scandal article didn't quite bring down the deal...it was really the cutting-edge corporate resort's hip comedian's smart-ass "funny because it's true" performance that finished it off!

And Logan, absolutely obsessed with closing the deal, practically at the point of groveling, saying "...relax, it's a tempest in a teapot, I drink them by the pint..." LOL! And now he's as angry as we've ever seen him get! Can his heart take the stress? Never mind that, worry more about the health of those around him!

Roman, after getting smacked in the face (long overdue) by an enraged "old dinosaur" Logan: "I'm fine, it's just a tooth...I'll get another one..."

A series that just gets better with each episode. Just...WOW!

Don't fear the Reaper. Fear the Repack!

Last edited by Al_the_xmtr_tech; 09-16-2019 at 09:18 AM.
post #93 of 154 Old 09-16-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_the_xmtr_tech View Post
Amazing how the scandal article didn't quite bring down the deal...it was really the cutting-edge corporate resort's hip comedian's smart-ass "funny because it's true" performance that finished it off!

And Logan, absolutely obsessed with closing the deal, practically at the point of groveling, saying "...relax, it's a tempest in a teapot
haha I was like "wow...did he really just tell her to relax? This is NOT going to end well"

Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 154 Old 09-16-2019, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2728 Post(s)
Liked: 1304
Enjoying this season so far. It's one of the rare shows where the 2nd season is better than the 1st (at least so far). A lot of that is probably due to Brian Cox' character being more active this season.
scott_bernstein likes this.
post #95 of 154 Old 09-16-2019, 01:15 PM

In the after the show clip on HBO GO, it was mentioned that these type of Corporate Honcho private gatherings are a fairly common occurrence with the 1% .. and, they do have "Nature Walks" and such ..

Nan Pierce ordering tap water said a lot ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #96 of 154 Old 09-16-2019, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2508 Post(s)
Liked: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
In the after the show clip on HBO GO, it was mentioned that these type of Corporate Honcho private gatherings are a fairly common occurrence with the 1% .. and, they do have "Nature Walks" and such ..

Nan Pierce ordering tap water said a lot ..
It's either Davos or Sun Valley media conference in Idaho, I believe.

Or some combination of both.

What I found striking were the guards armed with automatic rifles.

Yeah I guess all that wealth would be a tempting target in the middle of the "wilderness" (probably some fancy high end ski lodge).

But unlike South America or other parts of the world, kidnappings of the rich or even armed robbery is rare in the US. Last one was Patty Hearst?

If it's just some armed robbers, these billionaires have security personnel who were probably in elite police or military units who can handle the occasional thugs who may be armed.

But automatic rifles? It would make sense if this was taking place in somewhere like Columbia where there are armed rebel groups which are like paramilitary operations looking to collect ransom to fund their operations.
post #97 of 154 Old 09-24-2019, 12:06 PM

I always figured Shiv would not be "The One" ..

Rhea Jarrell / Holly Hunter is an apparent Sensei and has managed to ingratiate her way in masterfully .. I don't know if she actually slept with Logan, but the way she played Shiv was just magnificent ..

I'm still waiting and hoping for a Kendall complete and total meltdown ..

Love this show .. can't wait to get to it on Sunday ..

Uncle Willie

post #98 of 154 Old 09-24-2019, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm sure there will be lot of ebbs and flows for all the siblings, assuming they plan to do at least a couple more seasons.

Series could end with Logan still in charge, still manipulating the kids.
post #99 of 154 Old 09-24-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Series could end with Logan still in charge, still manipulating the kids.
Or murdered by one of them ..

Uncle Willie

post #100 of 154 Old 09-24-2019, 12:15 PM

I'll add :: Logan's ex-wife in England turned out to be pretty much cut from the same cloth .. demands 20 Million and Kids Christmas visits as her Ransom, yet disappears the next day before Kendall can spill his guts ..

Uncle Willie

post #101 of 154 Old 09-24-2019, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
I always figured Shiv would not be "The One" ..

Rhea Jarrell / Holly Hunter is an apparent Sensei and has managed to ingratiate her way in masterfully .. I don't know if she actually slept with Logan, but the way she played Shiv was just magnificent...
IMHO, doesn't really matter if she slept with him or not--he is clearly infatuated with her, and she knows it better than anyone. At this rate, Shiv may be contemplating murder soon.

Looks like there's another episode set in the U.K. for next week, one where Logan will return to his hometown in Scotland. I've got a feeling it's gonna be some variation on the sad "You Can't Go Home Again" scenario, and the way they do things on this series, it promises to be great.

Really, this show deserves even more awards; and based on the storylines, it's pretty clear now that the series is gleefully taking shots at ALL of the major-media-owner families, from Disney to FOX to Turner, CBS, etc.

Don't fear the Reaper. Fear the Repack!

Last edited by Al_the_xmtr_tech; 09-24-2019 at 04:51 PM.
post #102 of 154 Old 10-07-2019, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 692
I have to say, this show is brilliant IMO. Some of the incredible juicy lines and plot twists are just so enticing on this show. The plotting and scheming continues to be nuts. Also, for as many inside schemes and power plays that occur in each episode, the show also has one foot in the real world. The way their own news network fashions the news, the difference in the senators' questions in the hearing, and the Roy family's utter disregard for just about any humans outside of their immediate orbit. Just awful, awful people, and yet the show is absolutely fascinating to me. Season 2 so far has been absolutely brilliant.
Garrett Adams likes this.
post #103 of 154 Old 10-07-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
I have to say, this show is brilliant IMO. Some of the incredible juicy lines and plot twists are just so enticing on this show. The plotting and scheming continues to be nuts. Also, for as many inside schemes and power plays that occur in each episode, the show also has one foot in the real world. The way their own news network fashions the news, the difference in the senators' questions in the hearing, and the Roy family's utter disregard for just about any humans outside of their immediate orbit. Just awful, awful people, and yet the show is absolutely fascinating to me. Season 2 so far has been absolutely brilliant.
And sometimes even those within the immediate orbit .. the show is like a pinball machine, careening from one seeming catastrophe to the next with each passing episode .. Kendall popping out of his stupor during the Hearings to defend Dad was simply amazing ..
Don S, Keenan and Ph8te like this.

Uncle Willie

post #104 of 154 Old 10-07-2019, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And sometimes even those within the immediate orbit .. the show is like a pinball machine, careening from one seeming catastrophe to the next with each passing episode .. Kendall popping out of his stupor during the Hearings to defend Dad was simply amazing ..
Agreed. I am a bit surprised that there is not more buzz on this forum about this show. Season 1 was good, but Season 2 is just incredible. This is probably my favorite show on TV at this point.
post #105 of 154 Old 10-07-2019, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked: 1098
Quote:
Agreed and I thought that last night's show may have been the best one of the series. Shiv's playing of the whistle blower was pure BS but it was brilliant. Sarah Snook, as Shiv, just nails it every week. Hopefully we'll see more of Holly Hunter, perhaps with a rival entity. That could get real interesting.
Don S likes this.
post #106 of 154 Old 10-07-2019, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6727 Post(s)
Liked: 6574
Quote:
Agreed. I am a bit surprised that there is not more buzz on this forum about this show. Season 1 was good, but Season 2 is just incredible. This is probably my favorite show on TV at this point.

The subject matter probably turns a lot of folks off. One of my favorite shows on right now. This season has been excellent and they have really stepped it up from season 1.
Keenan likes this.
post #107 of 154 Old 10-07-2019, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Show is a big deal in social media and recappers rush out their recaps after every episode now.

Interesting interpretation, the first half of the hearings, with Tom looking like deer caught in headlights -- how could they not prepare him for all the Mo Lester jokes and emails? -- and then kind of rallying in the second half with Kendall shutting up the fake Bernie Sanders guy is being compared to the Kavanaugh hearings, where you had the testimony of the accuser and then Kavanaugh being all angry to reverse the momentum against him.
post #108 of 154 Old 10-07-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
The subject matter probably turns a lot of folks off. One of my favorite shows on right now. This season has been excellent and they have really stepped it up from season 1.
It's rare for me that I actually can't wait to get to a show .. Sunday evening, I just anticipate "Succession" on HBO GO and am ready to see what's next .. "Billions" is like that for me as well as "Better Call Saul" .. most shows I'll just get around to when I feel like it, some I even let stack on the DVR ..

"Succession" has taken the Soap Opera and turned it into an art form ..
Don S likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #109 of 154 Old 10-08-2019, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's rare for me that I actually can't wait to get to a show .. Sunday evening, I just anticipate "Succession" on HBO GO and am ready to see what's next .. "Billions" is like that for me as well as "Better Call Saul" .. most shows I'll just get around to when I feel like it, some I even let stack on the DVR ..

"Succession" has taken the Soap Opera and turned it into an art form ..
Bingo. This is exactly how I feel. I DVR lots of stuff on Sunday nights. But this is the only one that I absolutely can't wait for. I was thinking myself the other day about how "Billions" is also juicy and "schemey". I was also thinking that as bad as some of the people are on Billions, the Roys somehow seem even worse.

Whether the Roys are worse or not I can't tell, but they for certain are despicable, awful people ("Kill Bill" , "NRPI" just the latest examples). Logan's treatment of his children is some of the most manipulative, awful stuff you can see. Throwing Kendall under the bus to Congress just being the latest example.

Yet the writing and acting are so good that I still root for the kids. Shiv is the most likable for me (despite her actions in this episode). Roman is flat out funny, and has the best lines around. And BTW, he and Gerri together are awesome . Kendall seems much colder than the rest, so it's harder to root for him. But yet he's certainly a tragic figure in every way, and seems the most manipulated by Logan, so even he sometimes garners my sympathy. That cold dismantling of the company by Kendall though earlier in the season. Ruthless!

HBO definitely has another hit here and they deserve it.
andwhatnot likes this.
post #110 of 154 Old 10-14-2019, 09:57 AM

"You're just not a Killer" .. well, guess again ..

Lord, I'd love to see Shiv in a bikini ..

An excellent Season Finale .. and the slight smile on Logan's face at the end was perfect ..
lax01, Don S, Keenan and 1 others like this.

Uncle Willie

post #111 of 154 Old 10-14-2019, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wow. Tremendous finale. I thought for sure Ken was gonna just take it all, but maybe Greg would bust in and present those scraps he saved. They had me going for sure.

Just another delicious episode loaded with awesome lines and scenery. This show is just brilliant.
Garrett Adams and Ph8te like this.
post #112 of 154 Old 10-14-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Wow. Tremendous finale. I thought for sure Ken was gonna just take it all, but maybe Greg would bust in and present those scraps he saved. They had me going for sure.

Just another delicious episode loaded with awesome lines and scenery. This show is just brilliant.

Agree, should have seen it coming when Greg was the only one on the plane with Kendall. Now we have to go back and think “when” were things set up. Kendall does off a small smile to Roman after saying he’s “ok” with taking the fall.

The ending with Logan smiling will set off that Logan set this all up. He knew that he was the only acceptable person from the call in the beginning. Him offering himself up however wouldn’t play that well, a “coup” of sorts however would play quite well while still keeping his family “in power”. They have shown Logan to be a few steps ahead of everyone and this would play into that. His small smile in the end could be that confirmation that he was “right” in what he did.

With them focusing on one “kid” a season, I think Roman will be up next. He’s set up with multiple power moves as well as trying to save Geri from the sacrifice. If things play out as they did this season and last season it will be redemption for Shiv and the rise and “fall” of Roman.
post #113 of 154 Old 10-14-2019, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Agree, should have seen it coming when Greg was the only one on the plane with Kendall. Now we have to go back and think “when” were things set up. Kendall does off a small smile to Roman after saying he’s “ok” with taking the fall.

The ending with Logan smiling will set off that Logan set this all up. He knew that he was the only acceptable person from the call in the beginning. Him offering himself up however wouldn’t play that well, a “coup” of sorts however would play quite well while still keeping his family “in power”. They have shown Logan to be a few steps ahead of everyone and this would play into that. His small smile in the end could be that confirmation that he was “right” in what he did.

With them focusing on one “kid” a season, I think Roman will be up next. He’s set up with multiple power moves as well as trying to save Geri from the sacrifice. If things play out as they did this season and last season it will be redemption for Shiv and the rise and “fall” of Roman.

Interesting take. I'm not sure I agree that this was Logan's play, but now you have me thinking about that possibility. While Logan may seem smarter than everyone else, I can't reconcile that he would ever sacrifice himself willingly, given how self serving he is and how he has shown total and utter disregard for any other humans including his family. To go from that, to sacrificial lamb - even if shrouded in this show for the public - seems a bit of a leap. Even so, you may be right here. Hmm..

And I would love a season focused on Roman.
Ph8te likes this.
post #114 of 154 Old 10-14-2019, 10:41 AM

I'll add that Tom, who I always considered somewhat of a buffoon, revealed a sensitive man while he and Shiv were having their seaside picnic .. it was a very touching scene ..
Ph8te likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #115 of 154 Old 10-14-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
My immediate take when Logan smiled/smirked was, he was thinking "Kendall is the Man and will be CEO" ..

Uncle Willie

post #116 of 154 Old 10-14-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Interesting take. I'm not sure I agree that this was Logan's play, but now you have me thinking about that possibility. While Logan may seem smarter than everyone else, I can't reconcile that he would ever sacrifice himself willingly, given how self serving he is and how he has shown total and utter disregard for any other humans including his family. To go from that, to sacrificial lamb - even if shrouded in this show for the public - seems a bit of a leap. Even so, you may be right here. Hmm..

And I would love a season focused on Roman.

The way I think it, would Logan really be “gone” of his kids were in power? Sure on the face of things it would look that way for optics, but I’d put a bet on him still being around to pull strings I would also think he’s out of plays to keep himself around, going Private was the last push. With the stockholder meeting coming up they’d lose everything, if he was stubborn and stayed. I agree with you that normally Logan wouldn’t allow this to happen, I’m just not sure there was another play once going Private fell through and he learned that to get the votes he’d need to go.

When I go back it makes sense, especially with him sushing Shiv during the conference and giving that smile as Kendall made his move.

Bravo to the entire cast especially Jeremy Strong and Kieran Culkin. Both of them really shined this season.
Don S likes this.
post #117 of 154 Old 10-14-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
My immediate take when Logan smiled/smirked was, he was thinking "Kendall is the Man and will be CEO" ..

Which would fit into what I’m saying the kids (Kendall, Roman and Shiv) will lead the company into its new era. The new guard to cleanse the sins of the old guard. The are a mix both politically and gender which would play very well to a wide range of people.
Don S likes this.
post #118 of 154 Old 10-14-2019, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Succession on HBO

Quote:
The way I think it, would Logan really be “gone” of his kids were in power? Sure on the face of things it would look that way for optics, but I’d put a bet on him still being around to pull strings I would also think he’s out of plays to keep himself around, going Private was the last push. With the stockholder meeting coming up they’d lose everything, if he was stubborn and stayed. I agree with you that normally Logan wouldn’t allow this to happen, I’m just not sure there was another play once going Private fell through and he learned that to get the votes he’d need to go.

When I go back it makes sense, especially with him sushing Shiv during the conference and giving that smile as Kendall made his move.

Bravo to the entire cast especially Jeremy Strong and Kieran Culkin. Both of them really shined this season.

Yes. This is all logical. So it’s certainly possible. It’s still hard to reconcile though, one would think he’d have thrown everyone under the bus first, but t could be as you say.

Even if he was out of options, he’s just so icy and self serving, I feel like he’d more likely try to go down swinging. I mean, this is a guy that couldn’t allow Ken 10 minutes of happiness on the boat before he kicked Naomi off the boat. To then sacrifice himself a few hours later, I just don’t know...
Ph8te likes this.
post #119 of 154 Old 10-14-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Which would fit into what I’m saying the kids (Kendall, Roman and Shiv) will lead the company into its new era. The new guard to cleanse the sins of the old guard. The are a mix both politically and gender which would play very well to a wide range of people.
Kendall has tried about everything he could in order to gain Logan's love and respect .. he want's/needs it so desperately .. when Logan stated "You're not a killer .." and then Kendall was made out to be the "Head on a Pike", I think Kendall decided the only way to get that love and respect was to be a killer, and Dad had to be the target ..
Don S and Ph8te like this.

Uncle Willie

post #120 of 154 Old 10-14-2019, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The investor said Logan had to go.

But if he goes, would shareholders vote for the Roys?

For the purpose of the show, probably.

But they can’t diminish Bryan Cox’s role or presence in the show either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page