post #121 of 150 Old 10-14-2019, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2684 Post(s)
Liked: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

The ending with Logan smiling will set off that Logan set this all up.

Although a possibility, my take on it was that smile was one of begrudging respect. Not that this is what Logan necessarily had planned, nor will he just sort of fade away now either. I find it hard to believe Logan would sacrifice himself under any circumstance, even to save the company -- he'd look for another way.

Not sure what his next move is, if he even has one. I guess taking that longshot 10% or so chance on going private could be one of them.
Ph8te likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 150 Old 10-14-2019, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6646 Post(s)
Liked: 6458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post
Although a possibility, my take on it was that smile was one of begrudging respect. Not that this is what Logan necessarily had planned, nor will he just sort of fade away now either. I find it hard to believe Logan would sacrifice himself under any circumstance, even to save the company -- he'd look for another way.

Not sure what his next move is, if he even has one. I guess taking that longshot 10% or so chance on going private could be one of them.

I think going Private is “over” now. As soon as Kendall made that announcement it pretty much torpedoed any privatization plans (at least that’s how I read things). Always good to see different peoples takes on things .
post #123 of 150 Old 10-14-2019, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
I think going Private is “over” now. As soon as Kendall made that announcement it pretty much torpedoed any privatization plans (at least that’s how I read things). Always good to see different peoples takes on things .
Maybe, but then again, it's not like the Turkish investors probably care about how this all looks either -- not like it was a US company with a public image to uphold. If anything, maybe they look at it as a chance to buy at a bargain price.

I agree it seems like a longshot though. Just thinking aloud about any moves Logan may have left ... doesn't seem like he has many. The one thing the show absolutely can't do is move Logan to the sideline.
Ph8te likes this.

Last edited by Doe Doe; 10-14-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 150 Old 10-14-2019, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2455 Post(s)
Liked: 973
post #125 of 150 Old 10-15-2019, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 683
I’m actually still surprised there’s not more buzz about this show in this forum.

If this isn’t the best show on TV now, it’s pretty much right up there IMO. I already can’t wait for next season.
Keenan, Ph8te and yobbo like this.
post #126 of 150 Old 10-15-2019, 09:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
I’m actually still surprised there’s not more buzz about this show in this forum.

If this isn’t the best show on TV now, it’s pretty much right up there IMO. I already can’t wait for next season.
Absolutely the best show on TV currently. What a season.

Robert Clark
post #127 of 150 Old 10-15-2019, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6646 Post(s)
Liked: 6458
Quote:

It’s picking up steam on social media as there was a huge push for it. I’m guessing we’ll see a bigger crowd here next year, especially if the show cleans up at the award shows. This show does compete with Football so some may wait to catch up. I’d also put money on folks not even wanting to try it (or giving up early in season 1). Sometimes it takes awhile for folks to catch onto the “good ones” (heck when The Wire was airing it’s ratings were not great either).
Don S likes this.
post #128 of 150 Old 10-15-2019, 11:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'm fine with it sort of being in the background and not in full-on hype mode. There is a danger with some shows of becoming too popular (*glances at GOT*) where the creators then feel a need to cater to the audience too much. Or HBO gets greedy and tries to push its own agenda (*again glances at GOT*) with the idea what works one season means repeating it every season, missing what made it a good show in the first place.

So long as it's popular enough to keep getting renewed, I'm happy.

It's also a show that I find is hard to get friends that interested in. I've tried telling friends + family members about it, but a show that's more or less King Lear with the Murdochs I guess isn't an appealing theme to some. Not as much as dragons, or cops, or whatever.
post #129 of 150 Old 10-16-2019, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3035 Post(s)
Liked: 3976
I can see why the theme of the .001% might be off putting for some viewers ..

In my case, it's familial drama at a much higher Financial level, yet many of the issues of us "regular folk" are reflected ..

Did you get a load of that Yacht .. ??
Ph8te likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #130 of 150 Old 10-16-2019, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I know. A few of those shots where they show fishermen in their boat juxtaposed against the massive yacht in the background were striking.
post #131 of 150 Old 10-16-2019, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

A cool $1 million Euros a week to charter.

Wonder if it includes the helicopter.
post #132 of 150 Old 10-16-2019, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4071 Post(s)
Liked: 3798
Quote:

In my case, it's familial drama at a much higher Financial level, yet many of the issues of us "regular folk" are reflected ..

Solandge

Last edited by Keenan; 10-16-2019 at 11:46 AM.
post #133 of 150 Old 10-16-2019, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 514
I know a guy in Fort Lauderdale who did some navigation radar work on a boat that used to belong to the late Adnan Khashoggi, the shady and scary powerful billionaire. He tells me that "some" of those super-yachts come equipped with electronics and weapons systems that go just a bit beyond simple small arms, depending upon what "trouble zone" one may happen to be sailing close to on a cruise.

After all the concern about the Turkish business, I kept expecting some "mercs" to show up armed with Uzis on speedboats and circle that gorgeous yacht, especially knowing it was the season finale--but things just remained surprisingly tranquil around them while the Roys were at sea.

Seeing Logan cruising around on that mega-yacht, I got a heavy 007/Thunderball vibe. All he needs to have is an albino cat next to him, and the image would be complete!

Emilio Largo likes this.
shivaji likes this.

Don't fear the Reaper. Fear the Repack!
post #134 of 150 Old 10-16-2019, 09:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
this is well done

Quote:

I don't know what kind of family you have...but mine doesn't have QUITE as much back-stabbing hahah

Great finale...can't wait for next season

Josh
post #135 of 150 Old 10-17-2019, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1687 Post(s)
Liked: 1379
Kendall ended season one a killer and season two a killer.

If Logan smirked a smile at the end it was a "that's my boy".

Modern day billionaire trailer trash.

These are just my opinions.

Last edited by oldcband; 10-17-2019 at 06:51 PM.
post #136 of 150 Old 10-24-2019, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

An analysis of the dialog used in Succession. There's some blue language used if that is a concern.

Doe Doe likes this.
post #137 of 150 Old 10-27-2019, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked: 1089
Love this show. You just had to know that Kendell was not going to take the fall for the old man, the family and the company. Well played Ken, well played.
Garrett Adams likes this.
post #138 of 150 Old 10-28-2019, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Succession on HBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
... You just had to know that Kendell was not going to take the fall for the old man, the family and the company. Well played Ken, well played.

I didn’t know. Quite the opposite actually. He played ( or likely really was) the beaten-down son who seemed like he would ABSOLUTELY do anything his dad asked, especially with the leverage Logan had on him.

This show - especially season 2 - has been nothing short of terrific.
Ph8te likes this.
post #139 of 150 Old 10-29-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
I didn’t know. Quite the opposite actually. He played ( or likely really was) the beaten-down son who seemed like he would ABSOLUTELY do anything his dad asked, especially with the leverage Logan had on him.
My thoughts exactly .. I never expected him to turn ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #140 of 150 Old 10-29-2019, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:

This show - especially season 2 - has been nothing short of terrific.
Quote:

I had the same thoughts all the way until Kendal met with his dad on the yacht, this was the conversation where Logan asked Kendal to take the fall. The turning point of this conversation for me is when Kendal asked Logan if he would have been the top guy. Logan response was "you need to be a killer".

That turned me to thinking Kendal would go after his dad.

post #141 of 150 Old 10-29-2019, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
At the beginning of season 2, it looked like he was thoroughly beaten, droning "my dad's plan is better" over and over.

Then the suicidal thoughts staring over the deck of the skyscraper.

The only signs of life were stealing batteries at convenience stores, Naomi and that actress (only for a couple of days).

I always thought he'd rebound because it's way too early to eliminate one of the contenders to the throne. I didn't know how he was going to do it but no way he was going to be permanently out of the picture so soon in the series.

I didn't buy it when he told Shiv "It isn't going to be me."
post #142 of 150 Old 10-29-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRSS View Post
I had the same thoughts all the way until Kendal met with his dad on the yacht, this was the conversation where Logan asked Kendal to take the fall. The turning point of this conversation for me is when Kendal asked Logan if he would have been the top guy. Logan response was "you need to be a killer".
I may be remembering wrong, but I thought Logan said something like "You're just not a killer .." .. I did not expect Kendall to turn until he actually did ..

"Because Dad said so .."
Don S likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #143 of 150 Old 10-29-2019, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
I may be remembering wrong, but I thought Logan said something like "You're just not a killer .." .. I did not expect Kendall to turn until he actually did ..

"Because Dad said so .."

I went and re watched that scene and Logan said You're not a killer... You have to be a killer. Either way the ending with the smirk Logan had was priceless.

post #144 of 150 Old 10-30-2019, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
.."You're just not a killer " ..
I have found this statement a bit odd in some ways though. While I can understand it on one hand and love the irony of "killer", on the other hand..

- Kendall was the one who actually had the balls to try to overthrow Logan to start with
- After Kendall was under his dad's thumb, the way in which Kendall pulled the rug out and closed that company down was about as cold as anyone could be.
- Even though he genuinely liked a few girls, he kicked them to the curb almost immediately once told to do so by Logan

These seem like moves from someone with a killer instinct to me. ESPECIALLY compared to his siblings who all seem to have absolutely no killer instinct IMO.
mgkdragn likes this.
post #145 of 150 Old 10-30-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
I have found this statement a bit odd in some ways though. While I can understand it on one hand and love the irony of "killer", on the other hand..

- Kendall was the one who actually had the balls to try to overthrow Logan to start with
- After Kendall was under his dad's thumb, the way in which Kendall pulled the rug out and closed that company down was about as cold as anyone could be.
- Even though he genuinely liked a few girls, he kicked them to the curb almost immediately once told to do so by Logan

These seem like moves from someone with a killer instinct to me. ESPECIALLY compared to his siblings who all seem to have absolutely no killer instinct IMO.
Well, since you put it that way .. maybe Logan's intent was to actually push the already there killer instinct to the forefront .. Logan wanted Kendall to go dark big time .. after all, the old geezer has some moves ..
lax01 and Don S like this.

Uncle Willie

post #146 of 150 Old 10-30-2019, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, since you put it that way .. maybe Logan's intent was to actually push the already there killer instinct to the forefront .. Logan wanted Kendall to go dark big time .. after all, the old geezer has some moves ..
Yes, it could very well be so.
post #147 of 150 Old 10-30-2019, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_the_xmtr_tech View Post
I know a guy in Fort Lauderdale who did some navigation radar work on a boat that used to belong to the late Adnan Khashoggi, the shady and scary powerful billionaire. He tells me that "some" of those super-yachts come equipped with electronics and weapons systems that go just a bit beyond simple small arms, depending upon what "trouble zone" one may happen to be sailing close to on a cruise.

Such yachts were touched upon in "Who is America" during a segment. And yeah, they evidently can be outfitted with little 'extras'. Basically if you pay enough money, you can get just about anything.

Quoting from a salon article about it, since I don't remember all the exact details:

He’s not alone. In fact, one of the most disturbing encounters in these recent episodes involves Baron Cohen’s Italian billionaire playboy Gio Monaldo interviewing an unnamed luxury yacht broker to discuss purchasing a vessel for a person he implies to be none other than Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad. Among the upgrades he requests are military-grade weaponry, the ability to electrify the water as a deterrent to any refugees wishing to board, and accommodations roomy enough to make it easy to traffic women from Eastern Europe.

The broker did not bat an eye at any of these suggestions; nor did he pause, for a moment, when Gio’s female companion appeared to perform fellatio on him during the conversation.
lax01 likes this.
post #148 of 150 Old 10-31-2019, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post
... among the upgrades he requests are military-grade weaponry, the ability to electrify the water as a deterrent to any refugees wishing to board, and accommodations roomy enough to make it easy to traffic women from Eastern Europe.[
Roomy enough to also store some top-quality products of France--such as cases of wine and Exocet missiles--below decks.

Don't fear the Reaper. Fear the Repack!
post #149 of 150 Old 12-01-2019, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

People having fun with the Succession theme.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/am...mpression=true
Keenan likes this.
post #150 of 150 Old 12-01-2019, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
People having fun with the Succession theme.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/am...mpression=true
Awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page