post #151 of 188 Old 01-20-2020, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6730 Post(s)
Liked: 7575
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAH View Post
I think if The Expanse stays on track (and considering the source material it still has available, AND being picked up by Amazon, I think it will), it WILL be a contender. I think it is my current favorite show.
Agree 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAH
On that subject, what TV shows have the best REPLAY VALUE for you?? Meaning you could watch it at any time. Certain shows, while great, can require one to be in a certain "mental state" to be able to watch (for me that would be something like BB)
BSG (have the BD boxset)
Charlie Jade (have the widescreen DVD set w/ 5.1 soundtrack; no BD set was made unfortunately)
The Tick (first live action with Patrick Walburton, DVD)
Cowboy Bebop (for the great soundtrack)
-- Would have included LOST in that list if they had not FUBAR'd the last season so badly, especially the last episode. 'Till then, it was on track to be the Best Evah, IMHO.
-- Hope to get Treme eventually. Again, the music...
IAH likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 188 Old 01-20-2020, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2311 Post(s)
Liked: 3553
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAH View Post
I think if The Expanse stays on track...
I haven't watched this one. Isn't it highly political? From what little I've read it would seem to be.

The Expanse is the most politically relevant sci-fi show on TV

In case you missed it, The Expanse is set two centuries from now. Earth is a political, overpopulated powerhouse, while Mars is a technological and military power working to terraform itself. Meanwhile, out on the fringes of the system are the Belters and Outer Planets Alliance, whose people are struggling to survive amid abject poverty and oppression from their more powerful neighbors.
post #153 of 188 Old 01-20-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
I haven't watched this one. Isn't it highly political? From what little I've read it would seem to be.

The Expanse is the most politically relevant sci-fi show on TV

In case you missed it, The Expanse is set two centuries from now. Earth is a political, overpopulated powerhouse, while Mars is a technological and military power working to terraform itself. Meanwhile, out on the fringes of the system are the Belters and Outer Planets Alliance, whose people are struggling to survive amid abject poverty and oppression from their more powerful neighbors.
Best show on television. Like I tell my friends -- if you aren't watching 'The Expanse', why do you even have a TV?

It's "political" in that there is an ongoing tension between Earth & Mars, as the latter was a former colony, sort of, of the former. Mars gained its "independence" by inventing the "Epstein Drive" (sort of an unfortunate name now, given recent history), a super-efficient fusion drive that allows the engine to run continuously for months at a time without refueling. That provides artificial gravity through constant acceleration & deceleration (the ships typically flip over halfway to their destination). It also makes intrastellar travel around the solar system possible by cutting the travel time down to days or weeks instead of months or years. They gave the Epstein tech to Earth in exchange for their independence and have become a military superpower. The Belters are primarily miners who are exploited by the "inners" (their slang term for Earth & Mars), but become a political power by... you'll have to watch!

The great thing about 'The Expanse' is it's firmly rooted in physics & science as we currently understand it. No warp drive, transporters, or the like. The producers (two of whom are the books' authors) try very hard to get the science right, and their attention to even the smallest detail is remarkable. I can actually visualize colonization of the solar system progressing more or less exactly like this over the next couple of hundred years.
Aliens, rekbones and Ben23 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 188 Old 01-20-2020, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Best show on television. Like I tell my friends -- if you aren't watching 'The Expanse', why do you even have a TV?

It's "political" in that there is an ongoing tension between Earth & Mars, as the latter was a former colony, sort of, of the former. Mars gained its "independence" by inventing the "Epstein Drive" (sort of an unfortunate name now, given recent history), a super-efficient fusion drive that allows the engine to run continuously for months at a time without refueling. That provides artificial gravity through constant acceleration & deceleration (the ships typically flip over halfway to their destination). It also makes intrastellar travel around the solar system possible by cutting the travel time down to days or weeks instead of months or years. They gave the Epstein tech to Earth in exchange for their independence and have become a military superpower. The Belters are primarily miners who are exploited by the "inners" (their slang term for Earth & Mars), but become a political power by... you'll have to watch!

The great thing about 'The Expanse' is it's firmly rooted in physics & science as we currently understand it. No warp drive, transporters, or the like. The producers (two of whom are the books' authors) try very hard to get the science right, and their attention to even the smallest detail is remarkable. I can actually visualize colonization of the solar system progressing more or less exactly like this over the next couple of hundred years.
I'm convinced. Will add to my watch list.
archiguy likes this.
post #155 of 188 Old 01-20-2020, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Band of Brothers, for Mini-series.
The Simpsons, for animated.
M*A*S*H for OTA.
And for overall, I think, Monty Python.
shivaji likes this.
post #156 of 188 Old 01-20-2020, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked: 630
My List from top to bottom.

Game of Thrones (even including the last season)
I admit the story line was lacking in the final season but the production values and acting were top notch.

Breaking Bad and the spin off Better Call Saul.
Very unique story telling so different then most Black Dramadies.

The Expanse
Great realistic science, excellent production value and acting. A lot of too much politics that make it drag for me especially the last season

The Walking Dead
The first few seasons but it's been going down hill fast, I only watch it now because I invested in the previous seasons

Weeds
Dexter
both Black comedies

BSG

Gold Rush
just fun remembering my youth playing in the sand box but these guys have bigger toys and a bigger sand box.

This Old House
one of my favorites but unfortunately it is now This Old House for the rich and famous.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #157 of 188 Old 01-21-2020, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked: 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
My List from top to bottom.

This Old House
one of my favorites but unfortunately it is now This Old House for the rich and famous.
One of my favorites also. I've seen every show since it went National in 1980. It's first season in 1979 only aired in the Boston area.
post #158 of 188 Old 01-21-2020, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I will also say The Expanse is looking nice, but still not willing to put it in the number 1 spot, but i do really enjoy it.

GoT, if the last season didn't fall off, it may have been my # 1

Dexter had a shot, however as others said, last few season fell off.

The show that from start to finish was A+ material in my opinion was easily Breaking Bad. Recently rewatched it in front of EL Camino. Just the perfect show, or close to it.
post #159 of 188 Old 01-21-2020, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1633 Post(s)
Liked: 1921
Quote:
Originally Posted by C*Tedesco View Post
I will also say The Expanse is looking nice, but still not willing to put it in the number 1 spot, but i do really enjoy it.

GoT, if the last season didn't fall off, it may have been my # 1

Dexter had a shot, however as others said, last few season fell off.

The show that from start to finish was A+ material in my opinion was easily Breaking Bad. Recently rewatched it in front of EL Camino. Just the perfect show, or close to it.
Dexter was great for two or three seasons. A lot of people like the season with John Lithgow which I thought was ok. I liked a later season with Julia Stiles and the part of the season with Ray Stevenson. Keith Caradine is always great. However, the slide to the end was horrendous and there is no way that this show can be called one of the best based upon that. It was the showrunners/producers just being awful.

"Don't blame me -- I voted for Kodos." Homer Simpson
post #160 of 188 Old 01-22-2020, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I agree with many shows listed here. M*A*S*H and Battlestar Galactica are at the top of my list as well as one other that I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned yet: Six Feet Under. It was on HBO at the same time as The Sopranos which is probably how my wife and I got into it. The writing and stories were consistently excellent through five seasons. The "death" openings for each episode were a very different thing for a TV show to do. The finale was probably the best TV series finale ever - yes, even better than M*A*S*H. (ducks for cover)
post #161 of 188 Old 01-22-2020, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by msat View Post
I agree with many shows listed here. M*A*S*H and Battlestar Galactica are at the top of my list as well as one other that I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned yet: Six Feet Under. It was on HBO at the same time as The Sopranos which is probably how my wife and I got into it. The writing and stories were consistently excellent through five seasons. The "death" openings for each episode were a very different thing for a TV show to do. The finale was probably the best TV series finale ever - yes, even better than M*A*S*H. (ducks for cover)
I agree that Six Feet Under has the best finale. The finale alone makes it worth investing time to watch everything that preceded it.
post #162 of 188 Old 01-22-2020, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Voyage to the bottom of the sea. Love it. Sorry.
shivaji likes this.
post #163 of 188 Old 01-22-2020, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 1275
Heeeeres' Johnny. As a kid would sneak out of bed and hide behind the couch to maybe get a glimpse of Raquel Welch, Angie Dickinson, Dolly Parton or some other current hottie of the,then day (70's). Or listen to Redd Foxx, Don Rickles or Buddy Hackett, Jonathan Winters tell some "dirty" jokes...lol. At 7-8 years old, you thought you were watching XXX. Ahh, the days before the internet. No work involved anymore. It is just to easy for the kids nowadays. Even today when Youtube throws a Carson clip up there, I can't pass it up

eljaycanuck and Ben23 like this.
post #164 of 188 Old 01-22-2020, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds75 View Post
Voyage to the bottom of the sea. Love it. Sorry.
No need for apologies! It was an AWESOME "sci-fi spectacle" show if you were a young kid in the 60's! It was definitely a massive fave for those of us guys interested in the undersea world (which of course in real life turned out to be not a damn thing like what we saw on this ultra-cool series)...

I will never forgot that cool opening narration of the pilot episode, which I happened to watch the same day that we got a brand new TV:

"This is the Seaview...the most extraordinary submarine in all the Seven Seas...its public image is that of an instrument of marine research...in actuality, it is the mightiest weapon afloat...and is secretly assigned to the most dangerous missions against the enemies of Mankind." After hearing that, somehow you just knew the show was gonna rock!

To 11-year-old boys old at the time, it was can't-miss-it "appointment TV." Too bad that it ended up straying away into just plain silly fantasy plots, like most Irwin Allen shows did towards the end of their runs. The first 30 episodes are mostly sci-fi TV gold (some even written by the late, great Harlan Ellison using his pen name "Cordwainer Bird). Ironically, the downfall of the show came only after it switched to color!
archiguy, shivaji and Tack like this.

Don't fear the Reaper. Fear the Repack!
post #165 of 188 Old 01-23-2020, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Been pondering this for a few days, but I just keep landing on The Wire. The structure of the seasons wherein they do a deep dive into different topics (drug trade, ports/unions, politics, schools, and print media) was so innovative, and it delves into how they are all intertwined and affect one another. Just an amazing idea for a show. The characters the show created were just so well developed and dripping with authenticity. I watched the series for the first time back in around 2009 when Netflix would mail physical DVDs to you. I rewatched it again recently on HBO streaming, and it's astonishing how well it held up and how incredibly relevant it still is today.

So that's my vote for BEST. Now personally, my favorite drama would be The West Wing (seasons 1-4, which Sorkin penned). Comedy, I just love Seinfeld and can rewatch it and laugh every time. However, recently, I have to give honorable mentions to The Office and Parks and Rec. The same with those, I can rewatch any time, and they always make me laugh. And The Office finale was amazing, as was Parks and Rec's but not quite as good. They both beat Seinfeld in that regard (finale).
post #166 of 188 Old 01-23-2020, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 5022 Post(s)
Liked: 6841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben23 View Post
Been pondering this for a few days, but I just keep landing on The Wire. The structure of the seasons wherein they do a deep dive into different topics (drug trade, ports/unions, politics, schools, and print media) was so innovative, and it delves into how they are all intertwined and affect one another. Just an amazing idea for a show. The characters the show created were just so well developed and dripping with authenticity. I watched the series for the first time back in around 2009 when Netflix would mail physical DVDs to you. I rewatched it again recently on HBO streaming, and it's astonishing how well it held up and how incredibly relevant it still is today.

So that's my vote for BEST. Now personally, my favorite drama would be The West Wing (seasons 1-4, which Sorkin penned). Comedy, I just love Seinfeld and can rewatch it and laugh every time. However, recently, I have to give honorable mentions to The Office and Parks and Rec. The same with those, I can rewatch any time, and they always make me laugh. And The Office finale was amazing, as was Parks and Rec's but not quite as good. They both beat Seinfeld in that regard (finale).

I like Parks and Rec a lot too. I like that it has a good heart. Maybe not a the top of my list, but up there. However, I won't hesitate to say that the Ron and the Tammie's episodes were some of the best things I've ever seen on TV.
Ben23 likes this.
post #167 of 188 Old 01-23-2020, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
I like Parks and Rec a lot too. I like that it has a good heart. Maybe not a the top of my list, but up there. However, I won't hesitate to say that the Ron and the Tammie's episodes were some of the best things I've ever seen on TV.
God yes, the Tammy sub-plot was amazing.
post #168 of 188 Old 01-23-2020, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1314 Post(s)
Liked: 1343
When I'm in a show drought, perhaps cruising Netflix for something to see, I will at times re-watch the series Mad Men. A beautifully shot and crafted show. It easily stands up to repeated viewings for me at least.
Ben23 likes this.
post #169 of 188 Old 01-23-2020, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben23 View Post
David Simon is just brilliant, isn't he? Have you read some of his essays where he's just riffing on current events? Also brilliant. He's one of the true geniuses working in the medium today, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben23
So that's my vote for BEST. Now personally, my favorite drama would be The West Wing (seasons 1-4, which Sorkin penned).
Yep. Sorkin is another one of those genius kinda' guys. TWW will probably be his magnum opus. I thought HBO's "Newsroom" was terrific as well. He's been working on the Broadway revival of "To Kill A Mockingbird" most recently, taking a slightly different point of emphasis than previous productions. Don't get up to New York often, but hope to see it in some form someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben23
Comedy, I just love Seinfeld and can rewatch it and laugh every time. However, recently, I have to give honorable mentions to The Office and Parks and Rec. The same with those, I can rewatch any time, and they always make me laugh. And The Office finale was amazing, as was Parks and Rec's but not quite as good. They both beat Seinfeld in that regard (finale).
I never watched 'Parks & Rec' during its run, but my wife starting binging it last year on Netflix, I guess. I'd walk thru the Living Room occasionally and catch a few minutes and usually stayed to the end of the ep, laughing my butt off the whole time. Now I wish I had caught it all from the start.
IAH and Ben23 like this.
post #170 of 188 Old 01-23-2020, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
David Simon is just brilliant, isn't he? Have you read some of his essays where he's just riffing on current events? Also brilliant. He's one of the true geniuses working in the medium today, IMO.
I have not, but I want to now.

Quote:
Yep. Sorkin is another one of those genius kinda' guys. TWW will probably be his magnum opus. I thought HBO's "Newsroom" was terrific as well. He's been working on the Broadway revival of "To Kill A Mockingbird" most recently, taking a slightly different point of emphasis than previous productions. Don't get up to New York often, but hope to see it in some form someday.
Yeah, and The West Wing was back before my consciousness of the creative teams and processes behind TV and movies was well developed so after season 4, I knew something about the show was different. When I finally looked into it to find out he stopped writing after that season, it was like a huge light bulb going off.

So I live in north Jersey, and when To Kill a Mockingbird was announced I was so excited. I got a work friend that lives in Manhattan to walk to the box office and get me a ticket because the online fee was like $75 or something crazy. Anyway, I saw the show from the 2nd row about 10 feet from where Jeff Daniels' chair was positioned in the courtroom scenes. It was an amazing experience.

Quote:
I never watched 'Parks & Rec' during its run, but my wife starting binging it last year on Netflix, I guess. I'd walk thru the Living Room occasionally and catch a few minutes and usually stayed to the end of the ep, laughing my butt off the whole time. Now I wish I had caught it all from the start.
Yes, it is so consistently funny with amazing characters. Ron Swanson is amazing.
archiguy likes this.
post #171 of 188 Old 01-23-2020, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 6473
Some of my choices, in no particular order....

Orphan Black
Chuck
Big Bang Theory
Mad Men

Spoiler!
post #172 of 188 Old 01-23-2020, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4129 Post(s)
Liked: 2413
breaking bad, deadwood, dexter, all helped get me thru a long tour in afghanistan. oh, and some roman caesar series I forget name of lol.
shivaji, Tack, mclellan83 and 1 others like this.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300 LG oled c9 77
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS, Audioengine A2+
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP, Velodyne HGS 12, Velodyne VA1512
post #173 of 188 Old 01-23-2020, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1314 Post(s)
Liked: 1343
Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
breaking bad, deadwood, dexter, all helped get me thru a long tour in afghanistan. oh, and some roman caesar series I forget name of lol.
Yes Deadwood. Your Roman show, I Claudius perhaps? I loved that show, regardless.
post #174 of 188 Old 01-23-2020, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Stargate SG-1 gets no love here, I guess...no mentions. I give it high props as an adventure series up to when Richard Dean Anderson went behind the cameras. The years with the original team were excellent in my view with a fine & inventive mythology built on the gate left by mysterious ancients — a concept so intriguing the writers of The Expanse abandoned their devotion to real science when they stole it. The Goa'uld, the Replicators and even the Ori are worthy baddies to keep things moving, but the series lost a great deal when Anderson’s character dropped out.
post #175 of 188 Old 01-23-2020, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4129 Post(s)
Liked: 2413
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
Yes Deadwood. Your Roman show, I Claudius perhaps? I loved that show, regardless.

think this one. rome

https://www.amazon.com/Rome-Complete...9798324&sr=8-3
shivaji and John dhein like this.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300 LG oled c9 77
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS, Audioengine A2+
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP, Velodyne HGS 12, Velodyne VA1512
post #176 of 188 Old 01-23-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacojoe View Post
Stargate SG-1 gets no love here, I guess...no mentions. I give it high props as an adventure series up to when Richard Dean Anderson went behind the cameras. The years with the original team were excellent in my view with a fine & inventive mythology built on the gate left by mysterious ancients — a concept so intriguing the writers of The Expanse abandoned their devotion to real science when they stole it. The Goa'uld, the Replicators and even the Ori are worthy baddies to keep things moving, but the series lost a great deal when Anderson’s character dropped out.
I really liked it the first two seasons when it was on censor-free Showtime. After it moved to the PC blandness of the Sci-Fi Channel, I lost interest in that universe. But my interest was re-kindled with SG: Universe. Thought that one had loads of potential as they were going to travel to the galactic center, a place no other genre series has visited. Which meant, of course, it was quickly cancelled.
post #177 of 188 Old 01-23-2020, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 1275
After my first choice of a talk show, Johnny Carson, I would like to add a few series.

1) M*A*S*H
2) "Cheers"
3) 30 Rock
4) Parks and Recreation
5) and when the "mood" is right..Trailer Park Boys.
cardoski and Ben23 like this.
post #178 of 188 Old 01-23-2020, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post

Rome?
torii likes this.

Budget 9.2 setup Sony 65A9G, Denon AVR-X4300H, KEF KHT3005BL 7.1, KEF Q-300, BIC America Formula F-12, and Sony X700 4K Player

Bedroom TV Sony 52XBR4
post #179 of 188 Old 01-23-2020, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2699 Post(s)
Liked: 3119
TNG 3rd season on, GOT, The Expanse, Newhart.
Tack likes this.

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Modded Little Dot hybrid tube amp with Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tubes, Dual Discrete Op-Amp SS3602, and Alps Blue Velvet volume pot.

Watching in a room ensconced in velvet.
post #180 of 188 Old 01-23-2020, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 5022 Post(s)
Liked: 6841
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
TNG 3rd season on, GOT, The Expanse, Newhart.
Hah, I forgot about Newhart. I miss that guy. He could tweak his face a tiny fraction and you'd just get it.
cardoski and RagtopFE like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page