Watchmen series on HBO - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 197Likes

post #31 of 337 Old 05-08-2019, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6300 Post(s)
Liked: 6961
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
Yeah, but I don't know what the heck it means at all. tic toc
Yeah, me either. And I'm a huge fan of the comi...er, graphic novel. Have it in large format! Watched the movie several times! Have it on BD!

That trailer looks like something completely different from the Watchmen I know. Although the block yellow text graphic is the same. I realize they have to pad it out to make a series out of it, but this looks like a reinvention rather than an adaptation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 337 Old 05-09-2019, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked: 2493
For being a "teaser trailer" that trailer was pretty cool. Show looks very promising. I am definitely in. Can't wait!

post #33 of 337 Old 05-09-2019, 11:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1552 Post(s)
Liked: 1814
Had to turn to Charlie for help:

archiguy and Tack like this.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 337 Old 05-10-2019, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Noticed they whipped out their (Don) Johnson in the promo !

I wonder just how big his role is in this ?

"There you go again..." - Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !
post #35 of 337 Old 05-17-2019, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2453 Post(s)
Liked: 972
Watchmen or His Dark Materials?
post #36 of 337 Old 05-17-2019, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 5126 Post(s)
Liked: 4574
HBO has high hopes for this series...if I'm HBO I would not expect Watchmen to hit GoT type of ratings numbers...it won't come close...at best they should hope for a more realistic goal- that it's at least as good or buzz worthy as Westworld...in the same way that GoT wasn't traditional fantasy, Watchmen is not your traditional comic book story...it fits perfectly into the type of smart stories HBO likes to tell...everyone should watch Watchmen: The Ultimate Cut to prime themselves for this new series...

Last edited by TitusTroy; 05-20-2019 at 04:29 PM.
post #37 of 337 Old 05-20-2019, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Watchmen or His Dark Materials?
I'm hoping both stick. I love His Dark Materials, but everything Lindelof has said about Watchmen sounds up my alley and he gets an instant watch from me after Leftovers. At the very least it should be interesting.
post #38 of 337 Old 07-20-2019, 12:22 PM

full trailer...

archiguy, Tack and Ben23 like this.
post #39 of 337 Old 07-25-2019, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

‘Watchmen': Damon Lindelof Expects a Divisive Reaction to His Take on Acclaimed Comic
By Tim Baysinger, TheWrap.com - Jul. 24, 2019

Fans of the Alan Moore’s “Watchmen” comic might have a hard time recognizing Damon Lindelof’s version that will debut on HBO in October. But according to Lindelof, that is the point.

“Whether or not the show feels like it’s ‘Watchmen’ is in the eye of the beholder,” he said Wednesday during the show’s panel at the Television Critics Association press tour. “Some people who have an intense relationship with the source material might say, ‘This feels like ‘Watchmen’ to me,’ [while] others might say, ‘This is an aberration and I wish it never existed.'”

Not much is known about HBO’s take on the famed comic series, except that it will not be a straight retelling of the 12-issue graphic novel series, but rather something new that takes place roughly 30 years later. “It’s canon,” he said. “Everything that happened in those 12 issues could not be messed with. We were married to it. There’s no rebooting happening.”

Instead, the HBO series deals with what that specific world — an alternate 1980s where costumed heroes were prevalent and Richard Nixon was still president — looks like in 2019. For starters, Nixon ended up being president until his death in 1988, who was then succeeded by Gerald Ford. In 1992, Ford lost the election to Robert Redford, who is still president in the “present day” of the TV series.

There’s also a white supremacist group that calls themselves “The Seventh Calvary” running around in Rorschach masks. Lindelof said that gets at the one of the main themes of his series: Appropriation.

“We understand that we’re appropriating the original ‘Watchmen.’ Characters in this show are appropriating iconic ideas like the Rorschach mask,” he continued. “The idea that the Seventh Cavalry, who seem to be presenting a white supremacist ideology in the pilot, have appropriated Rorschach based on his writings, as a white supremacist. Rorschach is dead, he’s not around to basically say, ‘You got it all wrong.'”

Lindelof also described going through “an intense period of terror of f-king it up” when he was crafting the idea for the show. “I had an intense amount of respect for this but at the same time I feel like that respect could impair me from doing my job… I had to separate myself a little bit from this incredible reverence, because if I was too reverent, I wouldn’t be able to do anything that was risky.”

Adapting “Watchmen” has always been a rocky affair. Moore has famously been opposed to any attempts to adapt his work for the screen, which HBO programming president said was still the case Wednesday morning. Lindelof echoed that notion, saying that it still bothers him.

“I don’t think that I’ve made peace with it,” he said. “He doesn’t want to have any association or affiliation with ‘Watchmen’ ongoing, that we not use his name to get people to watch it, which I want to respect… I’ve made personal overtures to connect with him and explain to him a little bit about what we’re doing, and he made it clear that he didn’t want that to happen.”

https://www.thewrap.com/watchmen-dam...claimed-comic/

post #40 of 337 Old 07-25-2019, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1539 Post(s)
Liked: 1818
^ still gonna watch... just saying
WilliamR and allargon like this.

"we're still here!" "no days off" "yada, yada yada..."
post #41 of 337 Old 07-25-2019, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
^ still gonna watch... just saying
No doubt, doesn't change my mind, still love that movie/comic.

post #42 of 337 Old 07-25-2019, 08:21 AM

I did see the Owlship in the preview, so that gives me hope of a connection with some more of the old characters besides Dr. Manhattan and Veidt.
post #43 of 337 Old 07-25-2019, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 999
I love the whole idea of extrapolating the future of a fictitious alternate history. Especially when the extrapolation is to an alternate of the present day. The potential for subtlety, wry commentary, Easter eggery, is enormous. There are immense choices to be made by the writers when deciding how radically this vigilante- and pirate-obsessed culture changed in a generation, but wow. Hard to believe this is even being made.
Ben23 likes this.
post #44 of 337 Old 07-25-2019, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Definitely digging the use of Bowie's "Life on Mars" in the trailer. Will definitely be on-board for this.
post #45 of 337 Old 07-26-2019, 02:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1184 Post(s)
Liked: 1214
whoever designed that trailer's sound with those bass drum hits should be subjected to it for a 24 hr period tied to a chair.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #46 of 337 Old 09-03-2019, 12:31 PM

Damon Lindelof's Watchmen series finally has a release date...HBO announced the series will debut on Sunday, October 20th at 9pm EST...

replayrob likes this.
post #47 of 337 Old 09-09-2019, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked: 2236
post #48 of 337 Old 09-09-2019, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4844 Post(s)
Liked: 6508
Looking good.
post #49 of 337 Old 09-09-2019, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2680 Post(s)
Liked: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
I love the whole idea of extrapolating the future of a fictitious alternate history. Especially when the extrapolation is to an alternate of the present day. The potential for subtlety, wry commentary, Easter eggery, is enormous. There are immense choices to be made by the writers when deciding how radically this vigilante- and pirate-obsessed culture changed in a generation, but wow. Hard to believe this is even being made.

I'll watch this, as I'm a Watchmen fan, just that at the same time I'm going in with a pretty skeptical mind. I might be a little more eager if Moore wrote the followup (of course that wouldn't happen), or even Gaiman, or anyone at all besides Lindelof being in charge. At least I hope he has an overall framework in mind, with a beginning, middle and end... and isn't just winging it with no idea where the story will lead.

Kind of interesting to see some old characters returning though -- looks like Veidt, Manhattan and probably Laurie. I'm curious if they got Billy Crudup back for Manhattan -- I didn't like some of the casting decisions for the film, but he was actually pretty spot on as Dr. Manhattan. Also it'd be kind of cool if they get Redford to play the president, seeing as in this show's universe, he is -- no need for bad prosthetics like they did for Nixon.

Last edited by Doe Doe; 09-09-2019 at 05:02 PM.
post #50 of 337 Old 09-09-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post
I might be a little more eager if Moore wrote the followup (of course that wouldn't happen), or even Gaiman, or anyone at all besides Lindelof being in charge. At least I hope he has an overall framework in mind, with a beginning, middle and end... and isn't just winging it with no idea where the story will lead
expect a lot of symbolism, parallels to current events and overt religious tones...in regards to the TV show Lost it's now easy to see which parts of the show were framed by Carlton Cuse and which by Damon Lindelof...they've both had a busy career post-Lost yet the shows they create/write have similarities...Lindelof wrote the Ridley Scott movie Prometheus and the HBO show The Leftovers...Cuse was the showrunner of A&E's Bates Motel and Amazon's Jack Ryan...watching those series you can easily sense Lindelof's DNA...Cuse is not concerned about the religious or political aspects and just wants to entertain with action/horror etc

HBO's Watchmen should be good but I also worry that it will veer too much into current political hot button topics like white extremists etc...same way Amazon's Carnival Row tried to force feed the current migrant issue into the show which made it hard to fully invest in the fantasy world

Last edited by TitusTroy; 09-10-2019 at 05:18 AM.
post #51 of 337 Old 09-09-2019, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
except a lot of symbolism, parallels to current events and overt religious tones...in regards to the TV show Lost it's now easy to see which parts of the show were framed by Carlton Cuse and which by Damon Lindelof...they've both had a busy career post-Lost yet the shows they create/write have similarities...Lindelof wrote the Ridley Scott movie Prometheus and the HBO show The Leftovers...Cuse is the showrunner of A&E's Bates Motel and Amazon's Jack Ryan...watching those series you can easily sense Lindelöf's DNA...Cuse is not concerned about the religious or political aspects and just wants to entertain with action/horror etc

HBO's Watchmen should be good but I also worry that it will veer too much into current political hot button topics like white extremists etc...same way Amazon's Carnival Row tried to force feed the current migrant issue into the show which made it hard to fully invest in the fantasy world
Yeah, that is a valid concern. I'm okay with some political hot topics, just not when it doesn't really fit the narrative of the show. For instance, I had several problems with Carnival Row, but I was okay to a certain degree regarding the migrant issue brought up there. However it was pretty heavy-handed with how it went about it, it did feel a bit overly forced.

I guess my fear with Watchmen is that Lindelöf' may make it too much his own, which on the surface seems like a stupid thing to say, as he is the showrunner, so he should make it his own. But I really don't want to see overt religious references or instances where it's clear he's forcefeeding a topic just because, well, he likes those topics. It needs to fit in with the story and most importantly, the bedrock of the story ... in this case, the original Watchmen.
post #52 of 337 Old 09-09-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post
I guess my fear with Watchmen is that Lindelöf' may make it too much his own, which on the surface seems like a stupid thing to say, as he is the showrunner, so he should make it his own. But I really don't want to see overt religious references or instances where it's clear he's forcefeeding a topic just because, well, he likes those topics. It needs to fit in with the story and most importantly, the bedrock of the story ... in this case, the original Watchmen.
Yeah, I'm not really getting a "Watchmen" vibe from these trailers. It could really be any dystopian future sci-fi tale. And I am wary of any TV series with Lindelof's name attached after the clusterfrak that was the final season/episode of LOST. He utterly ruined that show's potential place in media history. It's like he just gave up on everything that had come before and said "Frak it; I am so done with this". I didn't watch 'The Leftovers' because of that.

But I'll probably watch this, because I love all things "Watchman". I just won't be expecting too much.
TitusTroy likes this.
post #53 of 337 Old 09-09-2019, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Lost had problems well before the final season.
allargon likes this.
post #54 of 337 Old 09-13-2019, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked: 2236
post #55 of 337 Old 09-13-2019, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1539 Post(s)
Liked: 1818
I am soooooooooooooooo in!!

Bring it
WilliamR likes this.

"we're still here!" "no days off" "yada, yada yada..."
post #56 of 337 Old 09-13-2019, 01:06 PM

looks like a good series...doesn't really feel like the graphic novel but hopefully they are just keeping things close to the vest...I love the masks
post #57 of 337 Old 09-13-2019, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Again, I'll watch this, but like archiguy, I'm not really getting a Watchmen vibe from these trailers. Part of that may be the setting, apparently middle America instead of a city. But also because it looks somewhat generic ... not specific to anything Watchmen, really, besides the trappings (Rorschach masks, obviously). I don't want it to be a generic vigilante/dystopian tale, or focus on family issues, or just be tangentially related to Watchmen -- which I have a feeling it may be. Guess we'll find out soon enough.
post #58 of 337 Old 09-18-2019, 09:36 AM

Damon Lindelof gives his first deep-dive interview for HBO's Watchmen

Question: You’ve said that the project is not a sequel and not a remake but a “remix” and I think some are confused by that. Can we accept that what happened in the comic/film happened in the past of your world? That if we re-read the graphic novel or watch Snyder’s movie that we have a firm handle on what occurred 30 years ago in this story?

Lindelof: Yes. Look, [the new series] certainly fits into the “sequel” box, and definitely doesn’t fit into the “reboot” box. We treat the original 12 issues as canon. They all happened. We haven’t done any revisionist history, but we can maneuver in between the cracks and crevices and find new stories there. But for all the reasons you just articulated, we wanted to make sure our first episode felt like the beginning of a new story rather than a continuation of an old story. That’s what I think a sequel is — the continuation of an old story

https://ew.com/tv/2019/09/18/damon-l...men-interview/
post #59 of 337 Old 09-18-2019, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

From the promos, it looks a lot like The Leftovers, particularly sects of people behaving very obviously in strange ways.

I never read the graphic novels or the movie.

I guess it'll depend on what else is on HBO, Showtime and other channels. Interesting that they're releasing it in the teeth of the fall TV premier season.
post #60 of 337 Old 09-18-2019, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4450 Post(s)
Liked: 3377
"We haven’t done any revisionist history," he says regarding a story that is literally about a revisionist history.
allargon likes this.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page