Watchmen series on HBO - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 197Likes

post #61 of 337 Old 10-05-2019, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5126 Post(s)
Liked: 4574
Damon Lindelof and his sprawling cast took the stage at New York Comic Con on Friday to introduce their vision to an audience for the first time...one of the more interesting revelations was that Lindelof revealed the first season of the series was envisioned as a closed-ended story..."We want to see how it's received by you guys," he said. "If the show comes out there and the conversation surrounding the show suggests you're hungry for more, we'll certainly take that into consideration. We want to deliver nine episodes that deliver a complete and total, amazing story."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...ndelof-1245569

I'm really glad to hear that Season 1 is a close-ended story with no cliffhanger ending...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 337 Old 10-05-2019, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2453 Post(s)
Liked: 972
So he’s gonna reboot every season or introduce plot and story elements which have little relation to previous seasons?

Or not explain phenomena from earlier seasons which were hooks or gimmicks to draw in viewers?

That doesn’t sound like a Lindelof show at all!

post #63 of 337 Old 10-05-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
So he’s gonna reboot every season or introduce plot and story elements which have little relation to previous seasons?
what he's saying is that he designed the S1 story to be close-ended with a beginning, middle and end...if there are future seasons it can expand upon the ideas introduced in the first but if the show happens to get cancelled (unlikely) viewers will not be left dangling as far as questions and plot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 337 Old 10-05-2019, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I know what he’s trying to convey and what he actually means.
post #65 of 337 Old 10-15-2019, 10:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Pretty good reviews ahead of the premier.

Not the highest reviews but like 4 stars.
post #66 of 337 Old 10-15-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Pretty good reviews ahead of the premier.

Not the highest reviews but like 4 stars.
thanks for reminding me that it premieres this Sunday...good to hear it's getting solid reviews...sounds like it deals with a lot of political hot button issues so people who are easily triggered may not like it as much
post #67 of 337 Old 10-16-2019, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1539 Post(s)
Liked: 1818
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
I'm really glad to hear that Season 1 is a close-ended story with no cliffhanger ending...
I'm also happy to hear that, especially since some series go 18 months to almost two years (Homeland, Westworld, etc..) between seasons now.

"we're still here!" "no days off" "yada, yada yada..."

Last edited by replayrob; 10-16-2019 at 11:50 AM.
post #68 of 337 Old 10-16-2019, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well it sounded more like he's doing a self-contained arc in case the show doesn't get renewed.

Or he just likes to keep rebooting between seasons.

The way HBO has been promoting it, it'd be surprising if they didn't renew it. Cast with some big names so as long as they're willing to come back, hard to imagine HBO canceling after one season.

Plus the AT&T overlords want more quantity, not necessarily quality.
post #69 of 337 Old 10-16-2019, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1552 Post(s)
Liked: 1814
Quote:
thanks for reminding me that it premieres this Sunday...good to hear it's getting solid reviews...sounds like it deals with a lot of political hot button issues so people who are easily triggered may not like it as much
Maybe I'll take a couple of valiums prior to watching it.
TitusTroy likes this.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #70 of 337 Old 10-16-2019, 12:00 PM

I feel like watching the Zack Snyder movie before starting the HBO series...since everything that happened in the movie is canon it'll be nice to have everything fresh in my mind...was actually a very underrated movie...Snyder did a good job with the adaptation...I think the Director's Cut is the best version...the Ultimate Cut seems to be for the super hard core comic fans with the addition of 'Tales of the Black Freighter' integrated back into the movie
Tack likes this.
post #71 of 337 Old 10-16-2019, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2680 Post(s)
Liked: 1270
Quote:
I feel like watching the Zack Snyder movie before starting the HBO series...since everything that happened in the movie is canon it'll be nice to have everything fresh in my mind...was actually a very underrated movie...Snyder did a good job with the adaptation...I think the Director's Cut is the best version...the Ultimate Cut seems to be for the super hard core comic fans with the addition of 'Tales of the Black Freighter' integrated back into the movie
I rewatched the film about a month or so ago, and I came around a bit on it. When I first watched it I felt a little disappointed. It wasn't terrible, but I felt Snyder kind of missed the point to the comics, focusing too much on the violence/action and sort of skipping over the quieter (and to me, more interesting parts) of the comic. I've had friends who never read the comics think the characters in the movie had superpowers based on their fighting ability, for instance, which kind of negated the point in the comics that only one character was an actual superhero (and in his case we are talking about insane superpowers).

But after a rewatch (and this time the Director's version), I'd say Snyder did a reasonably good job considering the fact he had to squash it all down into 3 hrs or so. I still think he focused on some of the wrong things, but that could be considered nitpicking. I really do like the opening credit + Dr. Manhattan origin sequences, he got those right.

The fact that I had also just recently watched the Avengers films may have played a part as well (I found them utterly moronic) ... it made older superhero films seem better in comparison.
Josh Z, Tack and TitusTroy like this.
post #72 of 337 Old 10-16-2019, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4450 Post(s)
Liked: 3377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post
I've had friends who never read the comics think the characters in the movie had superpowers based on their fighting ability, for instance, which kind of negated the point in the comics that only one character was an actual superhero (and in his case we are talking about insane superpowers).
Yeah, this is a big failing of the movie. Nite Owl is specifically supposed to be out-of-shape and schlubby at the time the story takes place, and he gets his butt handed to him the first time he tries to get back in the action. Yet Snyder cast a fit and buff Patrick Wilson, and showed him kicking ass and breaking bones in the street fight like he had super-strength. The movie really misses the point of the character.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #73 of 337 Old 10-16-2019, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No the burden is on Lindell to create this world for people who haven’t read the comic books or seen the movie.

That is why Game of Thrones was a smash hit because it pulled in so many people who didn’t read the books and kept their attention.
post #74 of 337 Old 10-16-2019, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Yeah, this is a big failing of the movie. Nite Owl is specifically supposed to be out-of-shape and schlubby at the time the story takes place, and he gets his butt handed to him the first time he tries to get back in the action. Yet Snyder cast a fit and buff Patrick Wilson, and showed him kicking ass and breaking bones in the street fight like he had super-strength. The movie really misses the point of the character.
I really liked the movie, not having seen the comic, but the so-called normal heroes acting like they had super-strength and speed was quite jarring especially since a lot of that was done in slo-mo and showed bad guys getting bones broken fairly easily along with the heroes doing things like jumping into high places etc. Also Ozymandius moving with superspeed as well. I didn't quite understand it.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #75 of 337 Old 10-16-2019, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4450 Post(s)
Liked: 3377
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
I really liked the movie, not having seen the comic, but the so-called normal heroes acting like they had super-strength and speed was quite jarring especially since a lot of that was done in slo-mo and showed bad guys getting bones broken fairly easily along with the heroes doing things like jumping into high places etc. Also Ozymandius moving with superspeed as well. I didn't quite understand it.
Yeah, that's all Zack Snyder. None of that is in the comic.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #76 of 337 Old 10-16-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
No the burden is on Lindell to create this world for people who haven’t read the comic books or seen the movie.

That is why Game of Thrones was a smash hit because it pulled in so many people who didn’t read the books and kept their attention.
the show needs to stand on its own to attract a wider audience yes...but the movie is still canon and you will get a better appreciation of the mythology and pick up on things by watching it beforehand...same with Game of Thrones
post #77 of 337 Old 10-16-2019, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2680 Post(s)
Liked: 1270
Quote:
the show needs to stand on its own to attract a wider audience yes...but the movie is still canon and you will get a better appreciation of the mythology and pick up on things by watching it beforehand...same with Game of Thrones

I wonder if the movie is canon or the books are canon? I'd assume the latter.

They are pretty close, although there is that difference with the endings.
post #78 of 337 Old 10-16-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post
I wonder if the movie is canon or the books are canon? I'd assume the latter.

They are pretty close, although there is that difference with the endings.
Damon Lindelof Says ‘Watchmen’ Series Is a Sequel, Treats the Graphic Novel as Canon

https://collider.com/is-watchmen-hbo...-novel-sequel/
Doe Doe likes this.
post #79 of 337 Old 10-18-2019, 10:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Non-spoiler review of ep 1. Confirms this is a sequel to the graphic novel, not the movie.

Doe Doe likes this.

post #80 of 337 Old 10-20-2019, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6626 Post(s)
Liked: 6440
Thought the premier was very good. Lots of setup and action. Looking forward to the rest of the season.
TitusTroy likes this.
post #81 of 337 Old 10-20-2019, 09:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2635 Post(s)
Liked: 2996
Enjoyed this episode, love the look and soundtrack
Ph8te, TitusTroy and allargon like this.

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Modded Little Dot hybrid tube amp with Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tubes, Dual Discrete Op-Amp SS3602, and Alps Blue Velvet volume pot.

Watching in a room ensconced in velvet.
post #82 of 337 Old 10-20-2019, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4844 Post(s)
Liked: 6508
Wow, that was terrible. Wont get that hour back.
TitusTroy likes this.
post #83 of 337 Old 10-21-2019, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked: 2493
Absolutely excellent premiere. This has serious potential and it has that feel/setup of something big coming. Thought almost everything about it was very well done with some really excellent characters. Looking forward to seeing much more of this.
Ph8te likes this.

post #84 of 337 Old 10-21-2019, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked: 2493
Lots of praise for this show from the press.

This one is from HOTP thread:

‘Watchmen’ is a fantastic riff on race and justice — and an excellent reason to keep HBO
By Hank Stuever, Washington Post - Oct. 17, 2019

HBO’s drop-dead fantastic new series “Watchmen” is many things at once — a righteously topical, thrillingly conceived riff on race and criminal justice set in an allegorical USA of vigilante cops, shady superheroes and subversive domestic terrorists. It’s fabulous and flammable and feels exactly right.

It’s also based on a beloved 1980s graphic novel that bombed as a movie (in 2009) and has now been adapted by a TV creator who has a checkered past when it comes to preferring his vision over the needs of viewers. (That would be Damon Lindelof, still wearing the layered hair shirts of the final season of “Lost” and long stretches of “The Leftovers.”)

But “Watchmen,” billed as a “remix” of the source material, is full of surprises — the first being that Lindelof, in collaboration with excellent co-writers, has broken his own spell and discovered that momentum and meaning can go hand in hand. Rather than hoard its biggest secrets in teasing reserve, “Watchmen” comes across like a smart, swift kick to the gut.

And as far as all that comic-book/superhero/antihero business goes, just forget it. I promise that even the most genre-averse among us can absorb “Watchmen” (which premieres Sunday) without feeling like we forgot to study for the test. At the same time, fans of the original can relish “Watchmen’s” sublime handling of the mythology, spirit and complex tone of the material. It’s strewn with little gifts made special for them.

Of the six episodes made available for this review (there are nine in all), the first hour may be the only hurdle for viewers, as we’re fully immersed in a warped America with plenty of WTFs, including stray references to the fact that Robert Redford has been president for decades — after Richard Nixon served multiple successful terms and Vietnam gained statehood.

The show opens with a horrific flashback to the 1921 massacre in Tulsa, a racist attack on the thriving African American community of Greenwood that left hundreds dead and injured — the details of which were successfully scrubbed from history for decades.

“Watchmen” uses the real-life massacre as a catalyst for the alternate history that follows. In the show’s present-day Tulsa, police officers don yellow masks that mostly obscure their faces, for their protection, particularly against an uprising of white supremacists called the Seventh Kavalry.

Technological advancements abound in this version of 2019: flying squad cars, subservient clones, special phone booths for making calls to Mars, brief storms of interdimensional phenomena and a pharmaceutical drug called Nostalgia that mentally replays one’s life experiences. They have everything, with one notable exception: There appears to be no Internet in “Watchmen’s” world.

Tulsa’s black community has seemingly thrived in a national effort to correct racial discrimination. This includes financial reparations, which are derisively referred to as “Redfordations” by the local racists, most of whom live in a trailer park ghetto on the edge of town called Nixonville. A cultural heritage center exists where Greenwood once stood; inside, a hologram version of U.S. Treasury Secretary Henry Louis Gates Jr. (as himself) stands by to test visitors’ DNA connections to the race riot’s victims.

Regina King stars as Angela Abar, a wife and mother of three who is about to open her own bakery. That’s her cover, anyhow. Angela’s real job is as a rogue detective, part of an elite squad overseen by police chief Judd Crawford (Don Johnson). In her hooded black cloak and mask, Angela does her most effective work as Sister Night, alongside such colleagues as Looking Glass (Tim Blake Nelson) and Red Scare (Andrew Howard).

They are regarded less as superheroes than as a controversial approach to law enforcement. The coolest thing about “Watchmen” is the way it upends one’s personal understanding of the line between heroism and vigilantism, well beyond a Batman-style paradigm. The idea and meaning behind wearing a mask is constantly in play, connoting both good and evil. As Angela moves through this fraught territory between identity and morality, King gives a performance that is both glorious and vulnerable. By now, we shouldn’t expect anything less from the Emmy and Oscar winner. It is settled science that she can do no wrong.

While the TV addicts in “Watchmen’s” America are glued to an event miniseries about complicated superheroes of the recent past (a deft, show-within-a-show device to acquaint us with some “Watchmen” lore), there’s the constant unease of the hooded history and malicious presence of the Ku Klux Klan.

An unspeakable crime occurs early on, requiring the arrival of FBI Special Agent Laurie Blake, played by Jean Smart, who savors every brilliant line she’s given. Even though “Watchmen” is rife with acts of gaslighting and conspiracy, Laurie’s presence has a clarifying effect. Less clear, at first, is the purpose of the centenarian in a wheelchair played by Louis Gossett Jr., a link between Tulsa’s bloody past and tenuous present.

By now, it sounds like I’m describing a fever dream instead of another prestige cable drama, but that’s what so delicious about it. (And I never even got around to discussing Jeremy Irons’s bizarre character and his futile but fascinating plight.) All I can say is I haven’t been able to stop thinking about the show; the last time I felt so rapturously overpowered was with David Lynch’s masterful 2017 sequel to “Twin Peaks” for Showtime. It’s a rare and marvelous moment, to be so challenged — yet dazzled — by what one is seeing.

And not to play favorites among networks (which I strenuously avoid), but we are in the early days of a vicious streaming-TV war, which will gobble up whatever’s left of our leisure time and home-entertainment dollars. Apple TV+ and Disney+ will be here in a few weeks with extra content to consume. We have Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu — and more on the way, including an expanded streaming service from HBO. Some tough choices will need to be made.

“Watchmen” is a grand reminder, therefore, that HBO is an essential part of whatever configuration you call television. The show is made with the kind of precision and thought that HBO’s competitors (especially Netflix) only occasionally achieve, and it’s all the indication anyone needs that, yes, there is life after “Game of Thrones.”

Watchmen premieres Sunday at 9 p.m. on HBO.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/enter...d44_story.html

post #85 of 337 Old 10-21-2019, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1539 Post(s)
Liked: 1818
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
Enjoyed this episode, love the look and soundtrack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Wow, that was terrible. Wont get that hour back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Absolutely excellent premiere.

Okay, I'm conflicted

Guess I'll just have to watch tonight after the Pats run up a couple of TD's on the Jets in the first half.

"we're still here!" "no days off" "yada, yada yada..."
post #86 of 337 Old 10-21-2019, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Never been to Tulsa.

Is it as rural as they portrayed, like big stretches of deserted roads where cops can get shot up?

And then when they went after the 7K, which were collecting watch batteries, they had a weird flying machine. But if they're going up against a heavily-armed terrorist group, why not SWAT with helicopters?

I know, it's not our world, it's some alternate world.

In any event, I guess the cops are fearful for their lives, have to be masked and have to get their weapons unlocked remotely by a guy wearing a Panda head. So FBI is going to come into the picture at some point.

Maybe the world was messed up because of all the squid raining down on them.

That's kind of like the fish raining down in Fargo but that was a fraud, not some otherworldly phenomnenon.
post #87 of 337 Old 10-21-2019, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6626 Post(s)
Liked: 6440
Quote:
Never been to Tulsa.

Is it as rural as they portrayed, like big stretches of deserted roads where cops can get shot up?

And then when they went after the 7K, which were collecting watch batteries, they had a weird flying machine. But if they're going up against a heavily-armed terrorist group, why not SWAT with helicopters?

In any event, I guess the cops are fearful for their lives, have to be masked and have to get their weapons unlocked remotely by a guy wearing a Panda head. So FBI is going to come into the picture at some point.

That's kind of like the fish raining down in Fargo but that was a fraud, not some otherworldly phenomnenon.

Remember that is a portrayal of Tulsa 1920. What we saw in the beginning is a portrayal of the Black Wall St massacre.

https://www.theringer.com/2018/6/28/...truction-tulsa

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/21/a...race-riot.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulsa_race_riot
archiguy likes this.
post #88 of 337 Old 10-21-2019, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Never been to Tulsa.

As is mentioned above, the initial massacre was a portrayal of a real life event in Tulsa in 1920. I don't yet get though how race riots are the basis of a sequel to Watchmen which was more global in scale. The weird flying machine appeared to be the Nite Owl's Owlship or Archie that we saw in the movie and I guess is in the graphic novel. Can't speak to the squids. The Panda seemed to be a bureaucrat who was very much into constitutional protections -- easy targets for ridicule in action movies -- like lawyers. We don't really see how the Tulsa police are connected to the rest of the world so whether they have the resources to do things. Technology seemed off like they had things we don't and yet didn't have a lot of things we did (which is noted in the Emergency Awesome video nonspoiler review I posted above).

I do kind of like the picture of integration as shown and understand how there would be a section of the population violently opposed. I didn't quite get how Angela's kids seemed white. I thought the dinner scene before the lynching was the high moment of the show with Don Johnson showing he can sing.

There was a bit too much kinetic energy in the show with too little explanation but I am understanding that he explanation may be coming.

Last edited by daryl zero; 10-21-2019 at 12:18 PM.
post #89 of 337 Old 10-21-2019, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Remember, this is Lindelof.

Don't assume everything will be explained or all loose ends tied up.
post #90 of 337 Old 10-21-2019, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
I thought the dinner scene before the lynching was the high moment of the show with Don Johnson showing he can sing.

Heaaaartbeat!
I'm looking for a Heaaaaartbeat!

Didn't read the comic, loved the movie. Not sure about the show yet. Has an interesting vibe.
allargon likes this.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page