Watchmen series on HBO - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 94Likes

post #91 of 203 Old 10-21-2019, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4779 Post(s)
Liked: 6393
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
As is discussed below, the initial massacre was a portrayal of a real life event in Tulsa in 1920. I don't yet get though how race riots are the basis of a sequel to Watchmen which was more global in scale. The weird flying machine appeared to be the Nite Owl's Owlship or Archie that we saw in the movie and I guess is in the graphic novel. Can't speak to the squids. The Panda seemed to be a bureaucrat who was very much into constitutional protections -- easy targets for ridicule in action movies -- like lawyers. We don't really see how the Tulsa police are connected to the rest of the world so whether they have the resources to do things. Technology seemed off like they had things we don't and yet didn't have a lot of things we did (which is noted in the Emergency Awesome video nonspoiler review I posted above).

I do kind of like the picture of integration as shown and understand how there would be a section of the population violently opposed. I didn't quite get how Angela's kids seemed white. I thought the dinner scene before the lynching was the high moment of the show with Don Johnson showing he can sing.

There was a bit too much kinetic energy in the show with too little explanation but I am understanding that he explanation may be coming.

Apparently the kids are her ex partners kids that she took on after they were killed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 203 Old 10-21-2019, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2663 Post(s)
Liked: 1253
Quote:
Can't speak to the squids.
SPOILER -- info from graphic novel --

----

I'm guessing it's related to the end of the comic, like an intermittent, yet benign, side effect ... sort of a gentle (in comparison) reminder of the big killer squid. The fact it was taken in stride by the characters in the show implies that it has been an ongoing thing for a while.

Overall I can't really say if I like the show or not. I need to see more episodes. It wasn't bad, yet it didn't seem like watchmen either, with only tangential references. But to its credit, if it was more like watchmen we'd probably be complaining how it pales in comparison to the comic.

Last edited by Doe Doe; 10-21-2019 at 12:46 PM.
post #93 of 203 Old 10-21-2019, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post
Spoiler!

Overall I can't really say if I like the show or not. I need to see more episodes. It wasn't bad, yet it didn't seem like watchmen either, with only tangential references. But to its credit, if it was more like watchmen we'd probably be complaining how it pales in comparison to the comic.
I don't think you need spoiler tags for past events in the graphic novel or movie. Since this is a once a week show, the rules I believe are you can discuss anything about the show already aired as long as you don't have spoilers (actual knowledge) of stuff from future shows.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 203 Old 10-21-2019, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4343 Post(s)
Liked: 3311
Quote:
This.^

I enjoyed the episode while I watched it, but the more I think about it afterwards, the more baffled I am by a lot of the artistic decisions Lindelof has made. Why move the story to Oklahoma, for example? I'm sure that will pay off later, but I don't get the purpose of it right now.

The scenes for upcoming episodes look more interesting than the premiere.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #95 of 203 Old 10-21-2019, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7168 Post(s)
Liked: 16271
It was ok. Will give it a couple more episodes. Besides SNF there’s nothing else on Sunday nights. And what was up with the raining squid?

post #96 of 203 Old 10-21-2019, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't think you need spoiler tags for past events in the graphic novel or movie. Since this is a once a week show, the rules I believe are you can discuss anything about the show already aired as long as you don't have spoilers (actual knowledge) of stuff from future shows.
I'm never quite clear about when to use spoilers for shows. I'll un-spoilerize it, but include a warning it includes info from the comic... at least then it shouldn't spoil it for anyone reading the comic for the first time.

Last edited by Doe Doe; 10-21-2019 at 12:59 PM.
post #97 of 203 Old 10-21-2019, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
This.^

I enjoyed the episode while I watched it, but the more I think about it afterwards, the more baffled I am by a lot of the artistic decisions Lindelof has made. Why move the story to Oklahoma, for example? I'm sure that will pay off later, but I don't get the purpose of it right now.

The scenes for upcoming episodes look more interesting than the premiere.

I thought the same thing about the upcoming episodes, they looked better than the first episode. I'm hoping the Oklahoma thing is just a starting point, and either later this season or if there are future seasons, it moves more globally.

It should pick up when/if more Watchmen characters make their appearance. The Veidt scenes were a little more vague than I hoped... assuming that was in fact Veidt (newspaper stated he was dead). Previous events to show, or Veidt hiding out? Not quite sure what's up with those weird servants either.

Guess we'll find out eventually, I hope.

And I wasn't aware of the Tulsa riots before this show ... evidently for a while they tried to even hide the fact it occurred. Pretty terrible stuff.

Last edited by Doe Doe; 10-21-2019 at 01:02 PM.
post #98 of 203 Old 10-21-2019, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm never quite clear about when to use spoilers for shows. I'll un-spoilerize it, but include a warning it includes info from the comic... at least then it shouldn't spoil it for anyone reading the comic for the first time.
Book stuff is a spoiler when it relates to the current series. The show is a sequel to the graphic novel so the it shouldn't be a spoiler to the series. There is no book on this sequel that I know of.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #99 of 203 Old 10-21-2019, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Book stuff is a spoiler when it relates to the current series. The show is a sequel to the graphic novel so the it shouldn't be a spoiler to the series. There is no book on this sequel that I know of.

Whether squid-talk is a true spoiler or not, not sure, as it is info from the book that relates to the current show.

But if I bring up big comic things I'll just stick up a -comic spoiler warning-, as there may be some folks here who haven't read the comic and decide to do so after starting the show.
post #100 of 203 Old 10-21-2019, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Whether squid-talk is a true spoiler or not, not sure, as it is info from the book that relates to the current show.

But if I bring up big comic things I'll just stick up a -comic spoiler warning-, as there may be some folks here who haven't read the comic and decide to do so after starting the show.
No problemo.

post #101 of 203 Old 10-21-2019, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked: 2132
For those that read the comics, or anything by Moore, HBO is releasing supplemental end matter in a style similar to his. Right now there are 4 pieces of text. Probably more to come for each episode.

https://www.hbo.com/peteypedia
Doe Doe likes this.
post #102 of 203 Old 10-21-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
I don't think it should be considered a spoiler. The TV show is very closely tied to the comic, to the point that reading it ought to be considered mandatory. Lindelof undoubtedly assumes that fans will understand the connection to the original squid monster (which was deleted from the Zack Snyder movie).

Honestly, the fact that the show can't really stand on its own without familiarity with the comic may harm its ability to catch on with an audience.

Josh Z

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #103 of 203 Old 10-21-2019, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't think it should be considered a spoiler. The TV show is very closely tied to the comic, to the point that reading it ought to be considered mandatory. Lindelof undoubtedly assumes that fans will understand the connection to the original squid monster (which was deleted from the Zack Snyder movie).

Honestly, the fact that the show can't really stand on its own without familiarity with the comic may harm its ability to catch on with an audience.

Probably right. It'd be kind of interesting to get opinions of those who haven't read the comic or watched the movie and see if the show appeals to them or not. Or if they are just sitting there utterly confused and disinterested.

Some of the references probably would seem confusing to them. Question is if the show will explain some of the references or just let them dangle as mysteries (to those who haven't read the comic).

The articles posted above with background info is kind of interesting. The one on Veidt gives a bit more info that pertains to the premiere, although it doesn't answer anything in detail. The show may run into a big problem though if they don't at least touch upon some of the info from those articles however. They can't expect folks to read a book's worth of show supplements to figure out what is going on in a show or to rationalize decisions.
post #104 of 203 Old 10-21-2019, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, Veidt. That reminds me. What was Mrs. Crookshanks doing? I had to think about where I remembered hearing that name most recently from Harry Potter, Hermoine's cat's name. Here is an article which might have spoilers on this:

https://www.inverse.com/article/6026...heory-spoilers

post #105 of 203 Old 10-21-2019, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked: 1357
I wasn't aware of the plot of the Watchmen series, so much of it was quite strange to me. However, I soon caught on and overall enjoyed it. Except for the ending. When the Chief exited the house there were 3 or 4 cops at or around the doorway. I assumed they were his protection detail, but then he got into the car and drove off alone. Not a smart move for someone who is at or near the top of the enemies death list.
Ph8te likes this.
post #106 of 203 Old 10-21-2019, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 387
I liked it - having never read the graphic novel, I picked up enough from the film to mostly understand what was going. I think its going to be a fun ride

And obligatory but necessary GOT hate - better than anything D&D produced in the final season of GOT!
allargon likes this.

Josh
post #107 of 203 Old 10-21-2019, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 4896 Post(s)
Liked: 4407
Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
And obligatory but necessary GOT hate - better than anything D&D produced in the final season of GOT!
lol...you can't help yourself can you
post #108 of 203 Old 10-21-2019, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2404 Post(s)
Liked: 954
Quote:

I thought I read that LIndelof said you need not be a reader of the comic.

In fact I doubt HBO would green light it if that was the case.

Hell most viewers of GoT probably didn't read those books. Now the show is canon, not the books.
post #109 of 203 Old 10-21-2019, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

Hell most viewers of GoT probably didn't read those books. Now the show is canon, not the books.

You don't have to have read the comic, but it probably helps. It'll depend on if they provide background info and explanations as the show goes along.

Some info as to how come Redford is listed on that poster of presidents, or why squid rain down, or why are there no cell phones, or who is that blue guy standing on Mars, probably would be helpful. Maybe a lot of that info will be mentioned in snippets for that show within a show on the Minutemen.
post #110 of 203 Old 10-21-2019, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2404 Post(s)
Liked: 954
I must have missed the Mars thing last night.

Lindelof shows are always full of unexplained phenomena.

I figure it's par for the course.

We'll see how His Dark Materials deal with weird phenomena in a couple of weeks.
post #111 of 203 Old 10-21-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:

I would say that the first episode disproves that claim. It's filled with references that only someone who's read the comics will understand.

Game of Thrones was an adaptation of the books. This isn't an adaptation. It's a sequel. The comic is the primary canon and this takes place afterwards.

Josh Z

post #112 of 203 Old 10-21-2019, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
lol...you can't help yourself can you
Gotta get the word out! I think some people still believe they were watching a high quality TV series finale!

Quote:

The show ending...cannot be the real ending. I just can't believe it. As for Watchmen, sure there were references - but I think they will hopefully explore more of the time between the end of the graphic novel and the start of the show (end of the graphic novel was around the late 70s right?)

Quote:
I would say that the first episode disproves that claim. It's filled with references that only someone who's read the comics will understand.

Game of Thrones was an adaptation of the books. This isn't an adaptation. It's a sequel. The comic is the primary canon and this takes place afterwards.
A terrible, terrible adaptation once they lost source material

Josh
post #113 of 203 Old 10-21-2019, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
...but I think they will hopefully explore more of the time between the end of the graphic novel and the start of the show (end of the graphic novel was around the late 70s right?)

Mid 80s, if I recall correctly, 1985-86ish.
lax01 likes this.
post #114 of 203 Old 10-22-2019, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Never been to Tulsa.

Is it as rural as they portrayed, like big stretches of deserted roads where cops can get shot up?
Not really Tulsa is just like most mid size city in the US... plus it was filmed in Georgia

Samsung (82NU8000)
Denon (AVR-S940)
Oppo (BDP-103)
Klipsch (RF-7, RC-7, KG4.5, RC-3II)
SVS SB12-NSD, Klipsch RW-12
post #115 of 203 Old 10-22-2019, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked: 2132
I saw a theory about a character on Twitter that I'll share here in spoilers.

Spoiler!

I'm sharing because it makes perfect sense in retrospect.
danlshane likes this.
post #116 of 203 Old 10-22-2019, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Off to a good start for the wife and me.

I have read the comics and watched the Zack Snyder movie. My wife has not read the books and slept through most of the film, so she doesn't get the Easter Eggs that Lindelof has inserted. They don't seem to be important to the narrative thread since she still enjoyed the story and characters overall, so it looks like those bits are mostly rewards for the faithful. I like the choice of a nontraditional geographical starting point, and the Black Wall Street Massacre promises to be an important launchpad for the theme of the series.

So far the show is certainly avoiding superhero drama cliches. Unlike one of the posters here, I find myself thinking back on several scenes in the show with an expanded curiosity, and I feel I need to watch the episode again before next week's entry. I've certainly never felt a desire to revisit the Snyder film.

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
post #117 of 203 Old 10-22-2019, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked: 6863
I bought the ©2005 large format (8.5"x12.5"), hard cover book "Absolute Watchman" a few years ago because I had heard so much high praise for the graphic novel. It was worth it. Definitely immersed you into the Watchman world more completely than the movie. Has everything too, all the background material, including "Tales of the Black Freighter". Highly recommended.

Probably going to re-read it before beginning the TV series. May watch the BD of Synder's movie too.
post #118 of 203 Old 10-22-2019, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1500 Post(s)
Liked: 1771
It was okay for me... nothing too compelling, hoping future episodes will be better now that the required world building has been done.

"we're still here!" "no days off" "yada, yada yada..."
post #119 of 203 Old 10-22-2019, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1945 Post(s)
Liked: 2435
From HOITP thread:

‘Watchmen’ Premiere Draws 1.5 Million Viewers, Delivering HBO’s Strongest Digital Debut Since ‘Westworld’
By Dino-Ray Ramos, Deadline.com - Oct. 21, 2019

Watchmen, Damon Lindelof’s anticipated series based on the award-winning Alan Moore graphic novel, debuted Sunday night to strong numbers, delivering 1.5 million viewers across all HBO platforms.

The linear premiere telecast of the new drama starring Regina King was 21% above last week’s Succession season finale in the time slot. It also marked the strongest debut performance for a series on HBO’s digital platforms since the premium cabler debuted Westworld in 2016, another series based on an existing sci-fi/fantasy property.

The 9 PM linear telecast of the freshman series averaged 800,000 viewers, making it premium cable’s most-watched new series debut this year.

The new series isn’t a straight adaptation of the graphic novel, but more of a sequel that finds an America ruled by long-serving President Robert Redford. Its an alternative 2019 America where the best intentions have seen technology curtailed, the police are now hidden by masks like the outlawed superheroes, and white supremacy has picked up the legacy of the infamous Rorschach.

King stars alongside Don Johnson, Jeremy Irons, Jean Smart, Tim Blake Nelson, Louis Gossett Jr., Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Hong Chau, Andrew Howard, Tom Mison, Frances Fisher, Jacob Ming-Trent, Sara Vickers, Dylan Schombing and James Wolk.

The pilot was directed by Nicole Kassell from a script by Lindelof.

https://deadline.com/2019/10/watchme...al-1202765310/
Ph8te likes this.

post #120 of 203 Old 10-23-2019, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Never been to Tulsa.

Is it as rural as they portrayed, like big stretches of deserted roads where cops can get shot up?
I, too, have never been to Tulsa. However, I do know that nearly all the country is rural like that outside of urban areas and core suburbs. I've been on roads like that in Texas, California, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, etc. Cops getting shot up is very, very rare. That's just a Hollywood thing.

Back on topic, I really enjoyed the premier. I loved the world-building and the weirdness. Having seen the movie, I was surprised that they actually toned down the sex and violence. They still made sure that the plot made no sense at all with the first viewing (just like the movie). Started a season pass on this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page