Mayans MC on FX (Sons of Anarchy next chapter) - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #31 of 71 Old 09-06-2018, 02:33 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 13909
I enjoyed the premier episode, although I was a little disappointed in plot line that was laid out. The main character working with the DEA? And part of the MC teaming up with the female disciples of Donny Darko... SOA was pretty much believable. I do love the "moving machinery logo" of the intro and outro.

Make me grow brainiac fingers, but with more hair!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 71 Old 09-06-2018, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 650
I thought it was OK. I loved SOA, and I could see this being good down the line. I guess we'll see if there is anything original in it. Given how much I loved SOA, I'll give this a long rope.
allargon likes this.
post #33 of 71 Old 09-07-2018, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
I thought it was OK. I loved SOA, and I could see this being good down the line. I guess we'll see if there is anything original in it. Given how much I loved SOA, I'll give this a long rope.
That's pretty much my plan, too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 71 Old 09-07-2018, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked: 1733
That was one of the best pilot episodes for a new season I've seen in a while. Very solid setup. Lots of interesting characters. And very well made from a production standpoint. I love the soundtrack with all the acoustic guitar music. If I had any knock on it it would be how unclear it was to me where they were, which side of the border they were on, half of the time.
post #35 of 71 Old 09-12-2018, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 357
That was a step back last night. I hope this isn't going to turn into the SOA Ireland season chasing down the kidnapped kid, if so I won't make it.
post #36 of 71 Old 09-12-2018, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked: 1328
I kept saying this show is bad I mean really bad.

I don't know if I can watch anymore.

These are just my opinions.
post #37 of 71 Old 09-12-2018, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 390
I say keep the subtitles to a minimum..

post #38 of 71 Old 09-13-2018, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1922 Post(s)
Liked: 2372
I love how it has the feel of SOA so fans of that show can slide right in and enjoy, yet it also feels different/new. Good premiere, looking forward to more episodes.
Zookster likes this.

post #39 of 71 Old 09-13-2018, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Chucky!!!

What's with the hate for this show? I didn't even think of the parallel to SoA's jump-the-shark Ireland season with the baby abduction until I read it here. On the Mayans, the baby abduction seems more like a natural part of the story being developed.

I also didn't expect the second episode to keep up the pace of the first, but it was still a solid episode, balancing character development with chases, fights, tense drama, and women, while moving the story forward in important ways.

I just hope Alvarez gets woke sooner than later. I really liked him on SoA, and I hate seeing him be such a blind cartel patsy.
post #40 of 71 Old 09-14-2018, 02:48 AM

After about 15 minutes of the 2nd episode I turned it off and deleted my Tivo OnePass. Mediocre acting, script and plot.

post #41 of 71 Old 09-14-2018, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
Chucky!!!

What's with the hate for this show? I didn't even think of the parallel to SoA's jump-the-shark Ireland season with the baby abduction until I read it here. On the Mayans, the baby abduction seems more like a natural part of the story being developed.

I also didn't expect the second episode to keep up the pace of the first, but it was still a solid episode, balancing character development with chases, fights, tense drama, and women, while moving the story forward in important ways.

I just hope Alvarez gets woke sooner than later. I really liked him on SoA, and I hate seeing him be such a blind cartel patsy.
Some of us are just expressing our opinions. The bar these days, for some of us, is high given the quality of shows that have been around. How is that hate for the show?

Last edited by PooperScooper; 09-14-2018 at 02:59 AM.
post #42 of 71 Old 09-14-2018, 04:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4714 Post(s)
Liked: 4239
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post
Some of us are just expressing our opinions. The bar these days, for some of us, is high given the quality of shows that have been around. How is that hate for the show?
that's the problem with the internet these days...as soon as you express any sort of criticism about anything you get labeled as a hater...seems you either have to love a show or hate it...there's no middle ground...I tell people all the time that you can criticize certain aspects of a show and still like it...not every thing has to be a 10...a 7 or 8 is still a good show but apparently there's only 2 extremes for a lot of people
post #43 of 71 Old 09-14-2018, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
that's the problem with the internet these days...as soon as you express any sort of criticism about anything you get labeled as a hater...seems you either have to love a show or hate it...there's no middle ground...I tell people all the time that you can criticize certain aspects of a show and still like it...not every thing has to be a 10...a 7 or 8 is still a good show but apparently there's only 2 extremes for a lot of people
Truer words were never spoken.
post #44 of 71 Old 09-14-2018, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
That's the problem with the internet these days ... you make a flip comment like "what's with the hate?" as a way of expressing your own opinion, that you really like a show, and suddenly you're being labelled as someone who calls people who criticize shows haters and who doesn't allow a middle ground of opinion.

I really did mean it in good fun, as a way of expressing my surprise that people were finding so much they didn't like about The Mayans to the point they would stop watching altogether, and in the hopes of getting a dialogue going about things people didn't like (hence the question format). I didn't realize "hate" was a trigger word for some people. Next time I'll say, "What's with the views, counter to my own, that point out things that the viewer finds unappealing, objectionable, or otherwise not preferred about the show?"
Lp85253 likes this.
post #45 of 71 Old 09-14-2018, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 4711 Post(s)
Liked: 6294
Quote:
That's the problem with the internet these days ... you make a flip comment like "what's with the hate?" as a way of expressing your own opinion, that you really like a show, and suddenly you're being labelled as someone who calls people who criticize shows haters and who doesn't allow a middle ground of opinion.

I really did mean it in good fun, as a way of expressing my surprise that people were finding so much they didn't like about The Mayans to the point they would stop watching altogether, and in the hopes of getting a dialogue going about things people didn't like (hence the question format). I didn't realize "hate" was a trigger word for some people. Next time I'll say, "What's with the views, counter to my own, that point out things that the viewer finds unappealing, objectionable, or otherwise not preferred about the show?"
Looks to me like he was talking in pretty general terms, and he's right. Nobody labeled you. I wouldn't take it too personally.

There has been too much hate!

post #46 of 71 Old 09-14-2018, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4714 Post(s)
Liked: 4239
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Looks to me like he was talking in pretty general terms, and he's right. Nobody labeled you. I wouldn't take it too personally
yeah I was just making a general statement and not singling you out Zook...it happens on forums in general and not just with TV shows but movies, games, home theater etc...
post #47 of 71 Old 09-14-2018, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post
The bar these days, for some of us, is high given the quality of shows that have been around.
I don't know where you're getting your content, but over the course of the year we'll partake of original content from PBS, ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, CW, TNT, USA, Syfy, BBC America, FX, WGN, HBO, SHO, Starz, Amazon, Netflix, and Hulu. Our standards of quality has had to markedly decline, just to pass the time an hour or two each night. We held our nose through Castle Rock recently; we even tried to watch The Purge - that's how low our standards of quality have declined. Tonight, we literally have nothing to watch.

Mayans MC isn't great, but it's far better than some of this drek we have been scraping off the bottom of the barrel recently!
Zookster likes this.
post #48 of 71 Old 09-14-2018, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by brmeow View Post
Tonight, we literally have nothing to watch.
"Bojack Horseman" is arguably the best show on Netflix right now. Season 5 went live today.

"Mayans MC" does need to improve. We agree on that.
post #49 of 71 Old 09-14-2018, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
I don't know where you're getting your content, but over the course of the year we'll partake of original content from PBS, ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, CW, TNT, USA, Syfy, BBC America, FX, WGN, HBO, SHO, Starz, Amazon, Netflix, and Hulu. Our standards of quality has had to markedly decline, just to pass the time an hour or two each night. We held our nose through Castle Rock recently; we even tried to watch The Purge - that's how low our standards of quality have declined. Tonight, we literally have nothing to watch.

Mayans MC isn't great, but it's far better than some of this drek we have been scraping off the bottom of the barrel recently!
Just curious, what are some of the shows you enjoyed this year?

post #50 of 71 Old 09-14-2018, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

For the record, I'm not without my criticisms of this show. One thing that bothers me about Mayans and SoA is how the MCs go around committing mass shootings, like in the cemetery in the first episode, and there are no ramifications. In the real world, every local, state, and federal law enforcement agency would be busting down the doors of the Mayan's headquarters, since it's pretty easy to identify who they are. It's one thing when they fight indoors, like in the dog pound, or are in some remote place out of town for these shootings. But in an urban cemetery? It's like in the final episodes of SoA when there were a number of shootings on the streets around northern California. In the real world, that level of rampant violence would have caused the National Guard to be mobilized. I know many will say that's just TV, except in the early episodes of SoA, they made a thing of the town sheriff being compromised in helping the SoA cover up their crimes. And then some of those murders led to people going to prison or being part of the federal investigation into organized crime activities. They'd almost be better off setting the show in a post-apocalyptic world where there's no real law enforcement.
post #51 of 71 Old 09-15-2018, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamian View Post
Outlander
Blacklist
Crown
Game of Thrones
Grey's Anatomy
Handmaid's Tale
NCIS
Series of Unfortunate Events
Travelers
Unreal
Lost in Space
Orange is the New Black
Shameless
Westworld
13 Reasons Why
3%
Elementary
Humans
Magicians
Man in the High Castle
NCIS: Los Angeles
OA
Orville
Sherlock
Supergirl
Timeless
Victoria
post #52 of 71 Old 09-15-2018, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Quote:
Outlander
Blacklist
Crown
Game of Thrones
Grey's Anatomy
Handmaid's Tale
NCIS
Series of Unfortunate Events
Travelers
Unreal
Lost in Space
Orange is the New Black
Shameless
Westworld
13 Reasons Why
3%
Elementary
Humans
Magicians
Man in the High Castle
NCIS: Los Angeles
OA
Orville
Sherlock
Supergirl
Timeless
Victoria
I think we share similar interests, have you tried any of the following?

Sharp Objects
Succession
Barry
Billions
Killing Eve
Counterpart
Better Call Saul
Snowfall
Atlanta
Legion
The Good Place
This is Us
Get Shorty
Sneaky Pete
The Americans
American Crime Story
Mindhunters
Ozark
Atypical
Black Mirror
G. L. O. W.

These are just some of the shows I enjoyed. I loved the first season of 13 Reasons Why but abandoned the second season after couple of episodes. There are just not enough time for me to devote to a show that doesn't catch my fancy.

Last edited by iamian; 09-15-2018 at 08:37 AM.
post #53 of 71 Old 09-16-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
I think we share similar interests, have you tried any of the following?
You seem to like the cops and criminals series more than we do. We typically only tune into those when I read people complaining that they're spending too much time on the personal relationships between the main characters - those are the ones we like. We also prefer television series that have a better chance of passing the Bechdel test, so we generally avoid series that don't have female leads and don't have differentiated female supporting characters.

Among the dramas that you've listed, we decided against Succession, Billions, Snowfall, Better Call Saul, American Crime Story, Get Shorty, Ozark for those reasons. We also tried watching Sneaky Pete, but didn't like it. Legion slipped by us. I'm not sure whether I can stream it from the beginning On Demand. (We just turned off Hulu.) Of those you listed, only Sharp Objects will likely make it into our plan, and that'll have to wait until HBO comes back around in rotation. I was thinking of saving that until GOT returns, but we might not last that long as things are now.

Thanks.
post #54 of 71 Old 09-16-2018, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Among the dramas that you've listed, we decided against Succession, Billions, Snowfall, Better Call Saul, American Crime Story, Get Shorty, Ozark for those reasons. We also tried watching Sneaky Pete, but didn't like it. Legion slipped by us. I'm not sure whether I can stream it from the beginning On Demand. (We just turned off Hulu.) Of those you listed, only Sharp Objects will likely make it into our plan, and that'll have to wait until HBO comes back around in rotation. I was thinking of saving that until GOT returns, but we might not last that long as things are now.

Thanks.
It may not pass the Bechdel test most episodes, but Snowfall would certainly pass the "DuVernay test." Season 2 is wrapping up and it's quite simply mindblowingly good on many different levels. Definitely my favorite show this summer. I would put it ahead of even Better Call Saul, whose slow pacing can be a bit of an acquired taste.

The Expanse, which I'm surprised doesn't appear on the two lists above, would pass both the Bechel test and DuVernay test. One of the best shows on TV right now.

archiguy likes this.

Last edited by Zookster; 09-16-2018 at 11:07 AM.
post #55 of 71 Old 09-16-2018, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
It may not pass the Bechdel test most episodes, but Snowfall would certainly pass the "DuVernay test." Season 2 is wrapping up and it's quite simply mindblowingly good on many different levels. Definitely my favorite show this summer. I would put it ahead of even Better Call Saul, whose slow pacing can be a bit of an acquired taste.

The Expanse, which I'm surprised doesn't appear on the two lists above, would pass both the Bechel test and DuVernay test. One of the best shows on TV right now.

https://youtu.be/HJkNnXugxNI
Agree on both accounts...and the Expanse books are incredible - definitely consider giving them a chance if you like the show

Waiting for the Snowfall season finale to binge the last four...really good
Zookster likes this.

Josh
post #56 of 71 Old 09-17-2018, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Outlander
Game of Thrones
Those were last year.

I'm hoping "Mayans" gets better tonight. Even listening to Sarah Bolger's Irish accent sneak out when speaking Mexican Spanish isn't enough.

Watching:
Mayans MC (this thread)
Bojack Horseman (Best show on Netflix)
Wynonna Earp
Killjoys
Insecure
Get Shorty (meh)
Better Call Saul
Lodge 49
Insatiable
The Purge (meh)
The Outpost
NCAA Football
NFL Football
Animals
Sacred Games

A portion of what I watched.
=============================
Black Lightning
Dear White People
One Day at a Time
The Expanse
Krypton (Meh)
Riverdale
Cloak and Dagger (underrated)
Westworld
Humans
Star Trek: Discovery
The Gifted (awful)
Jessica Jones
Jack Ryan (Meh)
Luke Cage
The Iron Fist
Atlanta
Deep State (Meh)
Killing Eve
The Good Place
The Gifted
Travelers
Ozark
Counterpart
Mom
Will and Grace reboot (Meh)
Superstore
Bob's Burgers
Family Guy
Timeless (Bye!)
Below Deck Mediterranean
The 100
Homeland (I wish I'd quit)
Roseanne
Ash vs Evil Dead
The Santa Clarita Diet
Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown
The Grand Tour
Top Gear: UK
Silicon Valley
3%
Naked and Afraid
The Men's World Cup
The NBA Finals
The Superbowl
Casual
Berlin Station
Joel McHale Show (Bye!)
Hap and Leonard
Yellowstone
The Last O.G.
Nailed It!
C.B. Strike (meh)
Grace and Frankie
Vida
Dietland
The First
Legion

Looking forward to:
Rick and Morty
Narcos
The Romanoffs
Outlander
The Orville
Big Mouth
Trapped
Patriot
Sabrina the Teenage Witch
The Runaways
GLOW
Altered Carbon
Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown
Top Gear: US
World Series
Futureman
Below Deck:Caribbean
Castlevania
Dr. Who

Missed (hope to catch up later):
The Americans
Orange is the New Black
The Terror
The Assassination of Giovanni Versace
Mr. Robot
The Handmaid's Tale
Harlots
Succession
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
Preacher
Bosch
Goliath
Sneaky Pete
The Crown
Pose
The New Karate Kid
Seven Seconds
Dark
The Rain
Barry
Black Mirror
The Tick
The Good Fight/Wife
Big Little Lies
Sharp Objects
Kidding
Looming Tower
Castle Rock
Sierra Burgess
The Sinner
Cable Girls
Sacred Lies
The Innocents

Quit:
Ballers
Big Bang Theory
So You Think You Can Dance
Sharknado
Ray Donovan
Shameless
Howards End
Disenchantment
Agents of Shield
This Is Us
The Mick
The Big Four Award shows
Power
Queen Sugar
Anything on Cinemax
Ingobernable
Sweet Bitter
Tons of others I can't remember

Last edited by allargon; 09-27-2018 at 08:09 AM.
post #57 of 71 Old 09-19-2018, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 1350
I was almost moved to tears watching Commander Adama having to sweep the sidewalk.
lax01, Don S and allargon like this.
post #58 of 71 Old 09-21-2018, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
You seem to like the cops and criminals series more than we do. We typically only tune into those when I read people complaining that they're spending too much time on the personal relationships between the main characters - those are the ones we like. We also prefer television series that have a better chance of passing the Bechdel test, so we generally avoid series that don't have female leads and don't have differentiated female supporting characters.

Thanks.
Wow, what a post. Everything you list is mostly what I would watch. Also plenty of shows put women on top of everything/anything. Billions is suppose to have a man lead but actually everything is run by Wendy. Not realistic but that don't matter these days. I'm not really interested in watch something made just to promote a gender, regardless of how bad it makes the show.
Plenty of movies an TV have scripts with feminist ideas forced in for no reason that to promote an agenda.
post #59 of 71 Old 09-21-2018, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

With women making up more than 50% of the U.S. population, we have a long way to go before Hollywood makes up for pervasive inequities and biases in the representation of women (and people of color) on film and TV over the past century. A bigger problem remains with minimal representation behind the camera and in studio exec offices. Some seemingly forced messages and scenarios sprinkled in our current entertainment mediums are more than acceptable in my view. I'd rather see that than the kinds of objectification and exploitation we still see.
brmeow likes this.

Last edited by Zookster; 09-21-2018 at 04:49 PM.
post #60 of 71 Old 09-21-2018, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
I was almost moved to tears watching Commander Adama having to sweep the sidewalk.
So say we all
Don S likes this.

Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page