Mayans MC on FX (Sons of Anarchy next chapter) - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #61 of 72 Old 10-02-2018, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1922 Post(s)
Liked: 2372
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 72 Old 10-04-2018, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked: 1736
Another good episode this week. Things are starting to heat up ... on multiple fronts.

Though the Mayans has essentially recombined elements of SoA (potentially conflicting family loyalties and a traitor within the MC, a multi-million dollar real estate development at stake, a federal investigation, family secrets, the main character's lingering feelings for an estranged ex, trying to get out of a standing business arrangement with one criminal organization by aligning with another organization that's potentially worse, etc.), the show has done a really good job of keeping things moving, and there's rarely been a dull moment. I like how it's already been established how much the town's mayor is in bed (probably quite literally) with the M.C., so there's no question how so much of their illegal activity is being overlooked.

Living in a CA border town, it was driving me crazy where this was supposed to be set. I knew Santo Padre/Santa Madre were fictional, but with this week's mention of El Centro and the excursion into Sonora region of Mexico, it looks like it's supposed be set out toward Mexicali, which is directly south of El Centro. I still find it strange with all the back and forth between the two sides, we haven't seen a single scene at a border crossing...even as just a transitional moment to show where someone is headed. I know the M.C. uses tunnels a lot of the time, but they can't move their bikes that way.
post #63 of 72 Old 10-18-2018, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

OMG! Lincoln Potter is back! He's almost as creepy as Chucky. lol

Another good episode. I feel like where SoA kept trying to push the envelope with shocking and violent scenes and graphic content, trying to outdo itself as seasons progressed, the violence and graphic content in Mayans is more in service of the story, selectively impactful as opposed hitting the viewer over the head with a barrage. More like we see in shows like Fargo or even Breaking Bad. Or maybe it just seems that way to me since I binged all seasons of SoA on NF.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 72 Old 10-19-2018, 04:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 651
This was the best episode yet. That lady rebel leader is quite the badass. I wasn't sure though the first several episodes if this would approach SOA in terms of my engagement and impact. But with these last few episodes, I can see it starting to come together. Good stuff...
Zookster likes this.
post #65 of 72 Old 10-19-2018, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
This was the best episode yet. That lady rebel leader is quite the badass. I wasn't sure though the first several episodes if this would approach SOA in terms of my engagement and impact. But with these last few episodes, I can see it starting to come together. Good stuff...
Her endgame definitely came as a surprise to me, but it makes sense the way she explained it. Just another example of how this show keeps things moving with unexpected twists. I had anticipated a season-long battle between the rebels and the cartel with the MC caught in the middle, with a bunch of family drama thrown into the mix. But not only did we get Adelita's big move, we had a new connection to EZ and Angel's family revealed, and a major cartel bust to throw a monkey-wrench into the deal with Galindo.

This is probably my favorite new show to debut in 2018 on broadcast TV.
post #66 of 72 Old 11-08-2018, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Very good wrap up to a solid first season. I'm embarrassed to say it took me until mid-season to start paying proper attention to each episode's animal symbol/theme, with the finale being the crow, as in Sam Crow.

It looks like Alvarez will now become more of a series regular, serving as Galindo's new generale. Seems like a conflict of interest, though, if the Mayans are supposed to serve as the neutral third party observing relations between the cartel and los Olvidados. I know Alvarez stepped down as the MC's "Padrino," but I'm sure he still feels certain loyalties.

So I guess without adult supervision, people who have remained in the DOJ, like Potter, are pretty much operating as rogue agents, doing as they damn-well please, even executing their own agents.

Also, it looks like Dita is poised to become a new Jemma, in her budding rivalry with Emily.

If I have any knock on the first season it's that we didn't get to know many of the other members of the MC outside of "Coco." Though I assume we'll be seeing a lot more of Bishop next season. For a smart guy, I don't think EZ thought that through very well. lol
Don S likes this.
post #67 of 72 Old 11-23-2018, 07:20 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2968 Post(s)
Liked: 3875
Settled in last night after the Turkey Day pig out and q'ed up "Mayans" to begin my binge watch .. got thru 3 episodes and deleted .. very little grabbed my attention ..

Sutter's attempt to capture Lightning in a Bottle a second time was a fail for me, or I was just not in the mood .. not saying it's a bad show, but, time is limited and other shows are waiting .. I figure it's going to pop up on NF at some point, or I can always DVR the marathon that FX will run prior to Season 2 coming out if I so choose ..
lax01 and AudiophileWalt like this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #68 of 72 Old 06-25-2019, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter

Season 2 starts September 3 at 10 PM.

https://deadline.com/2019/06/fx-fall...re-1202637121/
Zookster likes this.

post #69 of 72 Old 09-09-2019, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Off to a good start with the first episode of the season.

Though Mayans MC doesn't have the stand-out scene-stealing characters SoA did (though a few have migrated over) or the high number of shocking 'I can't believe they just did that on a TV show' moments (we've seen it all by now), I find the main story lines every bit as compelling and enjoyable, with still a fair number of shocking twists and surprises.

Kurt Sutter is actually leaving the show after this season. From Variety: Kurt Sutter Says He Will Exit ‘Mayans M.C.’ After Season 2: ‘It’s Time for the White Man to Leave the Building’
WilliamR likes this.
post #70 of 72 Old 09-09-2019, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
Off to a good start with the first episode of the season.

Though Mayans MC doesn't have the stand-out scene-stealing characters SoA did (though a few have migrated over) or the high number of shocking 'I can't believe they just did that on a TV show' moments (we've seen it all by now), I find the main story lines every bit as compelling and enjoyable, with still a fair number of shocking twists and surprises.

Kurt Sutter is actually leaving the show after this season. From Variety: Kurt Sutter Says He Will Exit ‘Mayans M.C.’ After Season 2: ‘It’s Time for the White Man to Leave the Building’
I am not sure how I feel about Kurt leaving, he is one of the highlights for us.

post #71 of 72 Old 09-12-2019, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The confrontations with the "Gym Bros" MC was pretty funny - very reminiscent of SoA.

I'm a bit confused, however, over the whole fire incident and Dita's injuries. A fire was mentioned when Emily was confronting the mayor. I scanned through the last episode of season 1 to make sure I didn't miss or forget something and didn't see anything. So I guess the show is intentionally keeping viewers in the dark over some major incident that happened in the "off season" involving a fire that destroyed some of Galindo's properties and severely injured Dita? I'm generally not keen on that kind of narrative device. Hopefully it will be worth the pay off when "all is revealed."
post #72 of 72 Old Today, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4715 Post(s)
Liked: 4241
Kurt Sutter Fired From FX

The Mayans M.C. showrunner has been fired following what sources describe as "multiple complaints" over his behavior on the drama series...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...e-dick-1248492
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page