AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   HDTV Programming (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hdtv-programming/)
-   -   Mayans MC on FX (Sons of Anarchy next chapter) (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hdtv-programming/2990980-mayans-mc-fx-sons-anarchy-next-chapter.html)

WilliamR 07-18-2018 04:14 AM

Mayans MC on FX (Sons of Anarchy next chapter)

Mayans MC is the next chapter in the Sons of Anarchy saga, Kurt Sutter’s award-winning series. The first season of the new drama from Sutter and Elgin James will premiere on FX in 2018. Set in a post Jax Teller world, where EZ Reyes -- fresh out of prison -- is a prospect in the Mayan MC charter on the Cali/Mexi border. Now EZ must carve out his new outlaw identity in a town where he once was the golden boy with the American Dream in his grasp.

Don S 07-18-2018 05:32 AM

Cool Beans. I loved SOA, will give this a shot.

Zookster 07-18-2018 09:25 AM

September 4 is the premiere date for those who can't watch the video.

I'm in.

JoeNc 07-18-2018 05:48 PM

thanks for posting info.........
I enjoyed soa, and hopefully this will be as good or better........

I hope they aren't speaking spanish alot , though,
having to read subtitles might hurt the show ..........

WilliamR 07-23-2018 12:11 PM

Mayans MC creator Kurt Sutter talks Sons of Anarchy Easter eggs

When the cast and creators of Mayans MC, the upcoming Sons of Anarchy spin-off, took the stage at Hall H for Sunday’s Comic-Con panel — moderated by EW’s own Lynette Rice — creator Kurt Sutter answered the obvious question: Will fans get Sons Easter eggs in the new series? Long story short, the answer is yes. But as Sutter put it, “It’s a balance. I want to acknowledge that world and find opportunities to circle that again, and yet I don’t want to abuse it.”

Sutter continued, “The show takes place in real time, so it’s post-Jax Teller. Three years or so has passed. I’m really protective of that mythology and the way it ended and letting fans — whether they enjoyed it or not — to have that experience and their idea of how that club continued and how those relationships continued. I really want to leave in the minds of the fans. There’s no intersecting stories that will interfere with that, but Sons was a big world and there was a lot of peripheral energy and players and members and other charters, so there will be those kind of intersections. We’ll see those points of intersection happen throughout this season, and the series as well.”

Mayans MC’s first season will kick off Sept. 4 at 10 p.m. ET on FX.

http://ew.com/tv/2018/07/22/mayans-m...y-easter-eggs/

MIkeDuke 07-23-2018 12:17 PM

Did you have to see SOA to see this or is it possible to start with just this show and understand what's happening and enjoy it.

Zookster 07-23-2018 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIkeDuke (Post 56531314)
Did you have to see SOA to see this or is it possible to start with just this show and understand what's happening and enjoy it.

It doesn't sound like it from the above quote. We'll know for sure once this airs.

MIkeDuke 07-23-2018 12:54 PM

That's Great because I am huge FX fan now. Any new drama they put on, I start to watch because I know it's going to be very good.

iamian 07-23-2018 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIkeDuke (Post 56531524)
That's Great because I am huge FX fan now. Any new drama they put on, I start to watch because I know it's going to be very good.

FX is absolutely the best network right now, I dare say even better than HBO! The Americans, Legion, Atlanta, Fargo, American Crime Story, Trust, and Killing Eve!

Okay, I was just seeing if you were paying attention with that last one, but FX is killing it!

Zookster 07-23-2018 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamian (Post 56531950)
FX is absolutely the best network right now, I dare say even better than HBO! The Americans, Legion, Atlanta, Fargo, American Crime Story, Trust, and Killing Eve!

Okay, I was just seeing if you were paying attention with that last one, but FX is killing it!

I was paying attention and couldn't help but notice you missed Snowfall. ;)

iamian 07-23-2018 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zookster (Post 56531976)
I was paying attention and couldn't help but notice you missed Snowfall. ;)

Yes, Snowfall is also awesome, I love how the second season has picked up from last and appears to be in excellent form!

MIkeDuke 07-23-2018 03:45 PM

I watched The Strain, Fargo, The Bridge, Tyrant and The Americans also The Bastard Executioner. And I am watching Legion and Snowfall now. Watched all of those from the start. Of course it seems like I missed a lot. So whenever FX starts a new show that looks interesting to me, I make sure to mark it down. And Fargo is coming back probably 2020. So yea, I am an FX fan.

Zookster 07-23-2018 05:19 PM

I watched the premiere of The Americans a few years ago and couldn't get into it for some reason. I think I was bingeing Homeland at the time and didn't have the bandwidth for another spy thriller. I think all previous seasons are on Amazon Prime (along with Justified!). I should move them both up my list.

Other than that, it's Fargo, Legion, Snowfall, and SOA for me. The network seems to have supplanted AMC for producing the highest quality dramas the most consistently, now that AMC is holding on so tightly to its dying TWD franchise. Preacher and Better Call Saul are the only shows I watch and look forward to anymore on AMC (I don't count Humans, since AMC is only reairing this British-made series.) I wouldn't compare either to HBO since that's in an entirely different league, budget-wise.

allargon 07-23-2018 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zookster (Post 56532964)
I watched the premiere of The Americans a few years ago and couldn't get into it for some reason. I think I was bingeing Homeland at the time and didn't have the bandwidth for another spy thriller. I think all previous seasons are on Amazon Prime (along with Justified!). I should move them both up my list.

Other than that, it's Fargo, Legion, Snowfall, and SOA for me. The network seems to have supplanted AMC for producing the highest quality dramas the most consistently, now that AMC is holding on so tightly to its dying TWD franchise. Preacher and Better Call Saul are the only shows I watch and look forward to anymore on AMC (I don't count Humans, since AMC is only reairing this British-made series.) I wouldn't compare either to HBO since that's in an entirely different league, budget-wise.

"Lodge 49" might be an intriguing newcomer to AMC. For "Mayans" they had me at Edward James Olmos and Sarah Bolger!

mgkdragn 08-02-2018 07:52 AM

Although SOA fell apart, the last couple seasons, at least, IMO .. I'm in for "Mayans" .. it does sound like Sutter is re-hashing SOA from a Latino perspective, though ..

"Snowfall" is an incredibly good show .. I wish "Tyrant" had been kept around another season or two ..

WilliamR 08-06-2018 11:31 AM

WilliamR 08-06-2018 11:31 AM

Zookster 09-03-2018 07:40 PM

Premieres tomorrow (Sept. 4). Time to set your DVR if you haven't yet.

RemyM 09-05-2018 05:25 AM

I enjoyed it more then expected. When I sat down to start watching at 10:30 and my TiVo said it was 1:37 long I didn't think I would make it but I did, there were plenty of commercials to skip. The show moved along and it set up some really good story lines. For a while there I though I was watching Gangland Undercover which has a similar story and the DEA agent reminded me of someone on that show. Looking forward to this now.

zalusky 09-05-2018 05:54 AM

Can somebody explain the timeline overlap between the two shows! I originally thought it was supposed to be in a post JAX world with Jax jr all grown up.

RemyM 09-05-2018 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zalusky (Post 56755604)
Can somebody explain the timeline overlap between the two shows! I originally thought it was supposed to be in a post JAX world with Jax jr all grown up.

See post #5 . It's about three years after the end JAX.

RemyM 09-05-2018 07:50 AM

I didn't recognize any of the SOA guys who showed up but that was a SO Cal chapter. As far as Easter Eggs, there was the dead crow on the road and the flash back to prison with Gemma in the visitation room. The one confusing thing was I though the flash back was eight years ago and he served 6 years I thought they said, so I thought they were implying that the now blond former girlfriend with child was his, but he didn't look old enough. Why else would they have her showing the ultrasound picture?

mgkdragn 09-05-2018 07:55 AM

I expected a semi-rehash of SOA, and it has a little bit of that feel .. however, I was pleasantly surprised that, although it's impossible to not see similarities, instead of the Jax the Prince Who Would be King, EZ is just starting at the bottom of things ..

I think the producers introduced a strong cast of characters .. I'm in ..

zalusky 09-05-2018 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemyM (Post 56756120)
See post #5 . It's about three years after the end JAX.

I havent watched the episode yet but how could they cameo Gemma then given Jax whacked her towards the end of SOA.

taxman48 09-05-2018 08:34 AM

Good series opener from a SOA fan. I enjoyed the Easter eggs of the crow and slutty Gemma at the prison..Was that Robert Patrick under the helmet as the SOA leader?

Spoiler!

Lsollee 09-05-2018 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taxman48 (Post 56756456)
Good series opener from a SOA fan. I enjoyed the Easter eggs of the crow and slutty Gemma at the prison..Was that Robert Patrick under the helmet as the SOA leader?

Yes, that was Robert Patrick.

RemyM 09-05-2018 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zalusky (Post 56756420)
I havent watched the episode yet but how could they cameo Gemma then given Jax whacked her towards the end of SOA.

The show is three years after SOA but she was in a flashback to eight years earlier when the prospect was in prison.

mgkdragn 09-05-2018 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taxman48 (Post 56756456)
Good series opener from a SOA fan. I enjoyed the Easter eggs of the crow and slutty Gemma at the prison..

Of course, Sutter had to sandwich in Katey Sagal (his wife) ..

Garrett Adams 09-05-2018 01:14 PM

Surprised that it was much better than I expected. Top notch in my book. Season Pass.

lax01 09-05-2018 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett Adams (Post 56758292)
Surprised that it was much better than I expected. Top notch in my book. Season Pass.

Yup, way better and engaging than I expected...interesting storyline they set up and pretty different than the family drama that engulfed and drove SOA. I think I'm in for the season...

My one technical gripe....the DD+ was extremely poorly mixed. Or maybe just really muted and had very little depth - I guess it is a cable TV show but I really had to crank the volume above reference level (which I literally never do) to hear the vocals from the center. Anyone else experience that?