Snowpiercer series on TNT - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 232Likes

post #121 of 249 Old 05-20-2020, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7067 Post(s)
Liked: 8134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
The concept behind Snowpiercer, and its "immortal engine," isn't looking so bad anymore.
Mission Accomplished!
aaronwt and Zookster like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 249 Old 05-20-2020, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2251 Post(s)
Liked: 2422
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Mission Accomplished!
archiguy, aaronwt, Tack and 1 others like this.
post #123 of 249 Old 05-20-2020, 02:36 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 10005 Post(s)
Liked: 6665
Quote:
Umm, it was actually "Mortal Engines", Zook. Them engines don't live forever.

And it was pretty nuts. But as a fan of steampunk design, I really enjoyed it. The production design and their art department did an amazing job. Wonderful eye candy. The story was certified crazy, sure, but as purely escapist fantasy fare... I was entertained!

Very similar to "Valerian & the City of a Thousand Planets" in that regard. Enjoyed that one too for much the same reasons and they spent a ton of money, but nobody will ever categorize it as a great film either.
Mortal engines was also a reference UHD BD. One of the few titles to be Native UHD.

And I did actually enjoy it in the theater. I also enjoyed seeing Snowpiercer in the theater.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 249 Old 05-20-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Mortal engines was also a reference UHD BD. One of the few titles to be Native UHD.

And I did actually enjoy it in the theater. I also enjoyed seeing Snowpiercer in the theater.
Atmos soundtrack too? Please tell me it didn't have an Atmos soundtrack too. Damn. There goes another 30 clams.

Hey, wait! I just got a $30 rebate check from my auto insurance company! It represents 20% off of two months of my premium! They are too good to me. And to think I was just going to waste it on dinner out for me & the missus. I'm sure she'll appreciate seeing this fine example of cinematic excellence once again (umm, since she sorta' fell asleep the first time), this time with overhead effects! Let's see her sleep through it this time!
aaronwt likes this.
post #125 of 249 Old 05-20-2020, 07:29 PM
UHD Addict

The Mortal Engines UHD BD has Atmos audio and Dolby Vision HDR on it.
archiguy likes this.

post #126 of 249 Old 05-22-2020, 05:42 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6390 Post(s)
Liked: 5888
Snowpiercer: Behind The Scenes Look of the Train | TNT

aaronwt and Al_the_xmtr_tech like this.
post #127 of 249 Old 05-22-2020, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 806
Wow, that voice-over guy seems to be doing his best impression of Rod Serling. This clip really gives you a good idea of how much money they had to spend on this behemoth of a production. No wonder it was "troubled." This has to be most effects-heavy television project ever done up in B.C. TNT really better hope the "so-far-so-good" ratings hold up!

Don't fear the Reaper. Fear the Repack!
post #128 of 249 Old 05-22-2020, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2301 Post(s)
Liked: 3453
Snowpiercer: An Avalanche Strikes Snowpiercer - Season 1, Episode 2 [CLIP]

post #129 of 249 Old 05-22-2020, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked: 299
It appeared to me in the very beginning that in order to cool the globe, they fired nuclear-armed missiles into the atmosphere and what they got was a nuclear winter. Never good to try to fool Mother Nature.

Wouldn't the avalanche would merely shove the train off the tracks. I guess they'll be eating a lot of beef now to replace the smoked salmon.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #130 of 249 Old 05-22-2020, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
It appeared to me in the very beginning that in order to cool the globe, they fired nuclear-armed missiles into the atmosphere and what they got was a nuclear winter. Never good to try to fool Mother Nature...
Nuclear missiles? NUCLEAR MISSILES?!? Well no wonder it didn't work! If we have learned anything from the legendary American 20th Century sci-fi producer Irwin Allen, it's that nuclear missiles are only to be used in case of the ionosphere catching fire as the result of a meteor shower.

(Ya know, I'm betting Irwin would have just LOVED the Snowpiercer series!)
aaronwt likes this.

post #131 of 249 Old 05-22-2020, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_the_xmtr_tech View Post
(Ya know, I'm betting Irwin would have just LOVED the Snowpiercer series!)
Yeah, he could have re-used a lot of the interior sets of the Seaview... it's was long and narrow like a train car... Brilliant!

"Any year the Pats don't get to the SB is a good year"
post #132 of 249 Old 05-24-2020, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

My God! They've got an entire GOLF COURSE on that train!?!...oh, wait, never mind, tuned in late...
aaronwt, gprace and RobKnapp like this.

post #133 of 249 Old 05-24-2020, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
My God! They've got an entire GOLF COURSE on that train!?!...oh, wait, never mind, tuned in late...
To much just put an golden tee in the bar car
post #134 of 249 Old 05-24-2020, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2301 Post(s)
Liked: 3453
Quote:
It appeared to me in the very beginning that in order to cool the globe, they fired nuclear-armed missiles into the atmosphere and what they got was a nuclear winter. Never good to try to fool Mother Nature.

Wouldn't the avalanche would merely shove the train off the tracks. I guess they'll be eating a lot of beef now to replace the smoked salmon.
It was missiles but not sure it was nuclear. They said they figured out a way to stop the overheating of the earth but it didn't stop and kept getting colder.
aaronwt likes this.

post #135 of 249 Old 05-25-2020, 05:31 AM

Quote:
I don't know about anybody else, but the 30 minute golf overrun wrecked havoc with my DTV's DVR software. The 'Snowpiercer' recording was seriously messed up. I recorded both back-to-back showings and both were FUBAR.

I managed to see the whole episode by piecing together the two showings from the buffer but the FF & REW functions were malfunctioning (couldn't see anything of the program going by to find your place). This morning I tried the OnDemand showing and it was messed up too, still had the golf overrun.

My wife was going to watch it this morning, but the back half was "missing" from both showings. Fortunately, both the first & second eps are being re-run Tuesday night, so we'll try to get this ep recorded again.

Never really seen anything like that before. TNT had some real difficulties with that telecast.
post #136 of 249 Old 05-25-2020, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2780 Post(s)
Liked: 2690
Quote:
I don't know about anybody else, but the 30 minute golf overrun wrecked havoc with my DTV's DVR software. The 'Snowpiercer' recording was seriously messed up. I recorded both back-to-back showings and both were FUBAR.

I managed to see the whole episode by piecing together the two showings from the buffer but the FF & REW functions were malfunctioning (couldn't see anything of the program going by to find your place). This morning I tried the OnDemand showing and it was messed up too, still had the golf overrun.

My wife was going to watch it this morning, but the back half was "missing" from both showings. Fortunately, both the first & second eps are being re-run Tuesday night, so we'll try to get this ep recorded again.

Never really seen anything like that before. TNT had some real difficulties with that telecast.
My wife has just made the same discovery. A bit of a sh*tshow on the part of TNTHD.
post #137 of 249 Old 05-25-2020, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Episode 2 will be repeated at 2235 on Tuesday May 26th.

post #138 of 249 Old 05-25-2020, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The weird scheduling issues may explain why the entire episode was already recorded for me by 6:30 p.m. PT (when I started watching). I don't think TNT is one of those cable channels that I get the east coast feed for. The other Snowpiercer episodes, past and future, record at 9 p.m. my time.

Lots of interesting developments this week. It's hard to imagine how the train will survive an entire season at this rate.
post #139 of 249 Old 05-25-2020, 09:27 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:

It wasn't nuclear missiles. Plus a nuclear winter would not be 100 degrees below zero .

Sent from my Tab A 8.0

post #140 of 249 Old 05-25-2020, 09:31 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:

No difficulties. It was delayed 30 minutes. So of course if you recorded both showings of the same episode back to back you would only have the last half hour of each one. This has happened some times over the years. If there is a delay and the same show is shown back to back.

Fortunately I started watching while the show was still airing the first thirty minutes.. So I just added thirty extra minutes to my TiVo recording.

Sent from my Tab A 8.0

post #141 of 249 Old 05-25-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
No difficulties. It was delayed 30 minutes. So of course if you recorded both showings of the same episode back to back you would only have the last half hour of each one. This has happened some times over the years. If there is a delay and the same show is shown back to back.
No, this was unusual; something I've never seen before. I recorded the 5 hour golf match before the ep. Then the first showing. Then the second showing immediately following that. Then the 3 hour "Guardians of the Galaxy" movie following. So basically 10 straight hours of recording, just to make sure I got the episode. And it still wasn't enough.

It was the second half hour of each of the two showings that was unavailable on my DTV DVR. I managed to see the whole ep because I watched it "live" from the buffer. My wife wasn't so lucky when she tried to watch the recordings this morning. But there's a re-broadcast on Tuesday night.

Who is your provider? Maybe it was a DTV thing. It did rain hard for awhile here as well during that 10 hour period and the rain fade always messes up DTV recordings as well, so maybe that had something to do with it.
post #142 of 249 Old 05-25-2020, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It wasn't nuclear missiles. Plus a nuclear winter would not be 100 degrees below zero .
Source?

post #143 of 249 Old 05-25-2020, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

YouTube TV cloud DVR FTW! No recording issues here. Just like it automatically extends recording times to any length for a sporting event that runs past the scheduled time block, it automatically "finds" any other shows I've set a recording for.
post #144 of 249 Old 05-25-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
YouTube TV cloud DVR FTW! No recording issues here. Just like it automatically extends recording times to any length for a sporting event that runs past the scheduled time block, it automatically "finds" any other shows I've set a recording for.
Trick play on those "cloud DVR's" is notoriously slow & cumbersome. No thanks. Hard-drive based DVR's with instantaneous and precision trick play for the win! I can deal with the occasional glitch like last night. But you'll have to pry my hard-drive DVR out of my cold dead hands.
post #145 of 249 Old 05-25-2020, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Trick play on those "cloud DVR's" is notoriously slow & cumbersome. No thanks. Hard-drive based DVR's with instantaneous and precision trick play for the win! I can deal with the occasional glitch like last night. But you'll have to pry my hard-drive DVR out of my cold dead hands.
The "trick play" response times are much faster on newer devices than when these services first launched. I'm enjoying the ability to say "Alexa, skip ahead three minutes" on my 4K FireTV stick. Not cumbersome at all. I've heard the Apple TV and nVidia Shield are even faster.

As I'm typing this out, I'm watching a news program (live TV) in a PC Chrome browser. When I hit the 15 second button or click anywhere on the progress bar to access what's in the buffer, the response is literally instantaneous (on a computer that's 5 years old with middling specs).
Don S likes this.
post #146 of 249 Old 05-25-2020, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 912
Quote:
Trick play on those "cloud DVR's" is notoriously slow & cumbersome.
I signed up for a YouTube TV's free trial to catch yesterday's golf match and its trick play drove me crazy. I watched an hour or so live and then came back after an hour or so while it was still being recorded. Under my Library it wasn't listed (I guess since it hadn't been fully recorded yet) so I didn't know where to pick up where I left off... selecting it in the guide it did ask if I wanted to start at the beginning or live.

Selecting beginning and trying to fast forward to where I left off was hopeless. It would jump to live and I couldn't rewind to where I left off. After trying numerous times I gave up and came back an hour or so later (still being recorded) and it worked fine and as has been noticed it did record well past the scheduled time. So it's kind of hit and miss based on my two cents...

Now one outstanding recording (not trick play) feature is it's ability to make available all airings of a series (if they have previously aired) the moment you tell them to record. I noticed the first couple of episodes of Michael Jordan's series was on that evening and I wanted to catch the ninth with Reggie Miller. Well as soon as I told it to record the series it made all of the episodes available. Nifty feature!

| JVC RS2000 125" Projection - Denon 5.2.4 Audio - Shield TV PRO / 65" LG OLED TV - TiVo - Fire TV 4K |
| ODROID-N2 Ubuntu Media Server | Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |

Last edited by Charles R; 05-25-2020 at 04:41 PM.
post #147 of 249 Old 05-25-2020, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
I signed up for a YouTube TV's free trial to catch yesterday's golf match and its trick play drove me crazy. I watched an hour or so live and then came back after an hour or so while it was still being recorded. Under my Library it wasn't listed (I guess since it hadn't been fully recorded yet) so I didn't know where to pick up where I left off... selecting it in the guide it did ask if I wanted to start at the beginning or live.

Selecting beginning and trying to fast forward to where I left off was hopeless. It would jump to live and I couldn't rewind to where I left off. After trying numerous times I gave up and came back an hour or so later (still being recorded) and it worked fine and as has been noticed it did record well past the scheduled time. So it's kind of hit and miss based on my two cents...

If you stop watching a recording and go back to it, you should get a prompt "Start from Last Watch" or something to that effect. Make sure your Watch History is enabled in your settings. When I resume a recording, I usually go to the Resume row on the Home menu (usually three rows down). I don't think it's hit and miss as much as just getting used to how things work, though I will admit whether something currently recording shows up under "New" in the Library is hit and miss, but you should be able to find it under whatever the relevant category is (e.g., Sports).
post #148 of 249 Old 05-25-2020, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2005 Post(s)
Liked: 2303
Quote:
Source?

The intro to the show says:

First, the weather changed. The deniers knew why but they stil doomed us with their lies.
War made the earth even hotter (missiles launching). Her ice melted and all her species crashed.
So the men of science tried to cool the earth to reverse the damage they had sown.
But instead, they froze her to the core.

Nuclear winter wouldn't be anywhere near -119 C (-183 F).

Surface temperatures would plunge for a few weeks as a consequence, perhaps by as much as 11° to 22° C (20° to 40° F).
aaronwt likes this.
post #149 of 249 Old 05-25-2020, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
The intro to the show says:

First, the weather changed. The deniers knew why but they stil doomed us with their lies.
War made the earth even hotter (missiles launching). Her ice melted and all her species crashed.
So the men of science tried to cool the earth to reverse the damage they had sown.
But instead, they froze her to the core.

Nuclear winter wouldn't be anywhere near -119 C (-183 F).

Surface temperatures would plunge for a few weeks as a consequence, perhaps by as much as 11° to 22° C (20° to 40° F).
Wasn't there a movie where everything got super-cold super-fast because of some strange atmospheric anomaly? Can't remember the name of it now. Perhaps the pseudo-science involved was sort of the same thing? Wonder if they'll ever address it, or if it will just be something we need to accept without explanation?
post #150 of 249 Old 05-25-2020, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 5089 Post(s)
Liked: 6963
Quote:
Wasn't there a movie where everything got super-cold super-fast because of some strange atmospheric anomaly? Can't remember the name of it now. Perhaps the pseudo-science involved was sort of the same thing? Wonder if they'll ever address it, or if it will just be something we need to accept without explanation?
I think it was The Day After Tomorrow. Pretty bad as I remember.
Stanton and archiguy like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page