8Likes

post #1 of 36 Old 07-25-2018, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1890 Post(s)
Liked: 2270
Snowpiercer series on TNT

Thought there was a thread for this already but can't find anything in a search.

Netflix Boards TNT’s ‘Snowpiercer’ Series
By Sonia Kil, Variety.com - Jul. 24, 2018

Netflix has boarded “Snowpiercer,” a TV series adaptation of South Korean filmmaker Bong Joon-ho’s hit 2013 feature film. The series will premiere on TNT in the U.S. in 2019, while Netflix will carry the show outside America and China.

The futuristic action thriller series revolves around the remnants of humanity trapped inside a gigantic train after the world has become a frozen wasteland. It raises questions about class warfare, social injustice, and the politics of survival.

Co-produced by Tomorrow Studios, Turner’s Studio T, and Korea’s CJ Entertainment, the series is executive produced by Tomorrow Studios’ Marty Adelstein and Becky Clements, as well as Scott Derrickson and Matthew O’Connor. The producing staff behind the original film — Bong, Park Chan-wook, Lee Tae-hun and Choi Doo-ho — have also joined the television adaptation as co-executive producers. James Hawes, director of the series, and showrunner Graeme Manson also share the role.

As previously disclosed, Oscar-winning actress Jennifer Connelly and Tony Award winner Daveed Diggs star in the series, along with Alison Wright, Mickey Sumner, Katie McGuinness, Susan Park, Lena Hall, Annalise Basso, Sam Otto, Sheila Vand, Roberto Urbina and Sasha Frolova.

Hawes joined the show earlier this month, less than two weeks after Derrickson, the pilot’s original director, announced he would not return for reshoots. Derrickson claimed that the decision was due to the series’ new showrunner, Graeme Manson’s “radically different vision” from that of original showrunner and series creator Josh Friedman, who left the show in January.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/asia/net...es-1202882278/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 07-25-2018, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1358 Post(s)
Liked: 1607
The movie was interesting till you found out they used the kids as fuel for the train... wonder if the series will continue that?

...or am I thinking of another movie?

"we're still here!"
post #3 of 36 Old 07-25-2018, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4046 Post(s)
Liked: 3052
Is the whole TV show going to take place on a train? That's going to get old very fast.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 07-25-2018, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 6016 Post(s)
Liked: 6633
This is one of those things that would seem to be fine for a "high concept" movie, which it was, but I don't see how they can sustain the premise for multiple episodes of a TV series, let alone multiple years. The whole point of the movie was how the heroes fought their way from the back of the train (where the lower classes lived & toiled in misery) up to the front (where the privileged lived and enjoyed the fruits of the lower classes' labors), car by car. Is that really going to be the whole point of the series?
post #5 of 36 Old 07-25-2018, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Is the whole TV show going to take place on a train? That's going to get old very fast.
I'm sure that thought crossed the show creators mind.

post #6 of 36 Old 07-25-2018, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4602 Post(s)
Liked: 6082
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
This is one of those things that would seem to be fine for a "high concept" movie, which it was, but I don't see how they can sustain the premise for multiple episodes of a TV series, let alone multiple years. The whole point of the movie was how the heroes fought their way from the back of the train (where the lower classes lived & toiled in misery) up to the front (where the privileged lived and enjoyed the fruits of the lower classes' labors), car by car. Is that really going to be the whole point of the series?
The movie was a satire, full of analogies. It didn't take itself seriously. What you saw wasn't exactly what you got. It made it's points well in a couple hours and got out. Basing a series on this is not a good idea. They will take everything at face value and make another dumb class warfare overlong drama out of it.
post #7 of 36 Old 07-25-2018, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1642 Post(s)
Liked: 1596
I can only imagine the train will break down or need to resupply, and they'll encounter groups of people around the world surviving without living on the train. Kind of like how on the 100, supposedly nobody had survived outside of the space stations when in reality there were large groups and pre-industrial-like civilizations.
post #8 of 36 Old 07-25-2018, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This also seems like one of those shows that could be good even if it is terrible.
post #9 of 36 Old 07-26-2018, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter

The way the movie ended it wasn't going to be all on the train. Will have to see where the show picks up based on the movie.

post #10 of 36 Old 07-26-2018, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1358 Post(s)
Liked: 1607
I'm willing to give it a shot, after all... I even gave The Outpost a try!

"we're still here!"
post #11 of 36 Old 07-26-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
I can see it now - they'll advance one car per episode, and it's a very long train with hundreds of cars!

Josh Z

post #12 of 36 Old 07-26-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamian View Post
I'm sure that thought crossed the show creators mind.
This seems to be a troubled production. The original showrunner was fired and did not take that action well.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...aching-1112964

Josh Z

post #13 of 36 Old 07-26-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I can see it now - they'll advance one car per episode, and it's a very long train with hundreds of cars!
Could be.

Quote:
This seems to be a troubled production. The original showrunner was fired and did not take that action well.

Never a good sign. But... Jennifer Connelly. They had me at her.
replayrob and Don S like this.
post #14 of 36 Old 07-26-2018, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 10744
This sounds as if it could be like the old Starlost series where the cast wandered from dome to dome, in the huge spaceship, hoping to reach the control room. In each episode Keir Dullea wandered into another dome with different human civilizations.

LG Oled65E6P, Arcam AVR400, OPPO UDP-203, ATV4, Samsung DVR, Rega P3 turntable, Bellari VP130 Phono Pre Amp, Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE Fronts, Vienna Acoustic Maestro Center, Vienna Acoustic Bach Rears, Rel T7i Sub, Bluesound Vault 2
post #15 of 36 Old 07-26-2018, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by gprace View Post
This sounds as if it could be like the old Starlost series where the cast wandered from dome to dome, in the huge spaceship, hoping to reach the control room. In each episode Keir Dullea wandered into another dome with different human civilizations.
And, watching The Starlost at home as each episode concluded, legendary sci-fi writer Harlan Ellison (who had a writing credit on the show as "Cordwainer Bird") just screamed obscenities at his screen.

Don't fear the Reaper. Fear the Repack!
post #16 of 36 Old 07-26-2018, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4602 Post(s)
Liked: 6082
Quote:

Oh man. He pulled the "Vichy" card. Thats cold.
post #17 of 36 Old 07-27-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Wanna laugh? Google "NBC-TV Supertrain"... it ended network executive careers at 30 Rock, and it took years for NBC to recover. I remember when Tom Snyder used to take jabs at NBC execs on his late night Tomorrow show, he used to say things like "...Good evening, we're live from the network that brings you Supertrain...and God help us all."

post #18 of 36 Old 02-12-2019, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter

TNT Chief Addresses ‘Snowpiercer’ Showrunner Changes As Sci-Fi Drama Nears Airdate – TCA

by Peter White

February 11, 2019 3:50pm
Kevin Reilly has addressed the showrunner changes behind TNT’s long-gestating sci-fi drama Snowpiercer. The chief creative officer of Turner Entertainment, who is also president of TNT, said the Jennifer Connelly-fronted drama should soon see the light of day and that the network is “just playing with the timing of when it airs.”

He also addressed the showrunner changes at the show, which is produced by ITV-backed Tomorrow Studios, Turner’s Studio T, along with CJ Entertainment. This is after things got ugly between former showrunner Josh Friedman, who was replaced by Orphan Black’s Graeme Mason.

Reilly admitted the situation got “very strange.”

“Quite often when you have a change, it signals that you didn’t really buy into their vision. We had a pilot that was very promising with some creative people behind it, and in that case it was a filmmaker [Friedman] who hadn’t really done TV before, and mounting a series was a different order, and we got on Graeme who was a consummate professional and an incredible partner and has built off of the template that we had with the great cast,” Reilly said.

Friedman exited the project in January 2018 and was replaced by Mason in February. However, The Sarah Connor Chronicles writer and producer slammed the etiquette of his successor on Twitter.
“If you’re asked to rewrite someone or take over their show it seems like good sense and good karma to reach out to that person first and a) find out what the circumstances of their departure are and b) thank them for doing the work you’ll be profiting from,” Friedman tweeted in May 2018. “You should buy that person a nice meal or a bottle of alcohol if they’re up for it. Your money was earmarked for them at one time. And more than likely, what may be a good job for you was a passion project for them. Put another way: if you were to take over a show I’d originated and worked on for two years and didn’t reach out to me before taking the job you’re either an idiot, a coward, or a vichy mother****er.”

Starring Connelly and Daveed Diggs and based on the acclaimed 2013 movie by Bong Joon-ho, Snowpiercer is set seven years after the world has become a frozen wasteland. It centers on the remnants of humanity who inhabit a gigantic, perpetually moving train that circles the globe. Class warfare, social injustice and the politics of survival are questioned in the TV adaptation. Doctor Strange helmer Scott Derrickson directed the pilot. The cast also includes Mickey Sumner, Susan Park, Benjamin Haigh, Sasha Frolova, Katie McGuinness, Alison Wright, Annalise Basso, Sam Otto, Roberto Urbina, Sheila Vand and Lena Hall.

Tomorrow Studios’ Marty Adelstein and Becky Clements executive produce with Derrickson and the original film’s Bong, Park Chan-wook, Lee Tae-hun and Dooho Choi.
Reilly added that he’s seen all of the episodes and called the series “outstanding.”

https://deadline.com/2019/02/kevin-r...er-1202555156/

post #19 of 36 Old 02-12-2019, 08:19 AM

^Everything about that story makes Friedman sound like a real jerkwad. He got fired from his job and he's demanding that the person who was hired to replace him should take him out to dinner and grovel at his feet for starting the project? That's not how employment works in the real world, no matter what business you're in.
Zookster likes this.

Josh Z

post #20 of 36 Old 02-12-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
^Everything about that story makes Friedman sound like a real jerkwad. He got fired from his job and he's demanding that the person who was hired to replace him should take him out to dinner and grovel at his feet for starting the project? That's not how employment works in the real world, no matter what business you're in.
Yeah, I had read that before. I really liked 'Terminator: SCC', was very disappointed it didn't draw enough eyeballs to continue, and thought Friedman was one of the up & comers in the biz. But that comment is surprisingly bitter. And short-sighted. Hollywood is still a relatively small world and that attitude is not going to win him many new friends.
post #21 of 36 Old 02-12-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I had read that before. I really liked 'Terminator: SCC', was very disappointed it didn't draw enough eyeballs to continue, and thought Friedman was one of the up & comers in the biz. But that comment is surprisingly bitter. And short-sighted. Hollywood is still a relatively small world and that attitude is not going to win him many new friends.
I also liked the Sarah Connor show.

I find this quote from Kevin Reilly at Turner problematic: "in that case it was a filmmaker [Friedman] who hadn’t really done TV before, and mounting a series was a different order."

In addition to Sarah Connor Chronicles, Friedman was also a producer on three other TV series: The Finder, Crossbones, and Emerald City. Admittedly, none of them lasted long, but to blame this dispute on Friedman being unfamiliar with television production seems really disingenuous.

I have a feeling there's a lot more to this story than the Deadline article lets on.

Josh Z

post #22 of 36 Old 02-12-2019, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

There's a typo in the press release just posted above: it's Graeme Manson (not "Mason"). Regardless, now that I'm aware of his involvement (that he was the one behind "Orphan Black"), I've gone from intrigued to excited about this series.
post #23 of 36 Old 03-27-2019, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Rowan Blanchard Joins TNT’s ‘Snowpiercer’
by Denise Petski

March 27, 2019 8:24am

Former Girl Meets World star Rowan Blanchard has been cast in TNT’s Snowpiercer, a futuristic thriller starring Jennifer Connelly and Daveed Diggs based on the acclaimed 2013 movie of the same name by Bong Joon-ho, from Marty Adelstein’s Tomorrow Studios and Turner’s Studio T.

Snowpiercer is set seven years after the world has become a frozen wasteland, It centers on the remnants of humanity, who inhabit a gigantic, perpetually-moving train that circles the globe. Class warfare, social injustice and the politics of survival are questioned in this riveting television adaptation.

Blanchard will play Alexandra, a self-assured 17-year-old, wise beyond her years, with mysterious connections to the history of Snowpiercer. She has been has been added to Season 1 as a guest star with an option to become a series regular if the series is renewed for a second season.

Snowpiercer, which co-stars Mickey Sumner, Susan Park, Benjamin Haigh, Sasha Frolova, Katie McGuinness, Alison Wright, Annalise Basso, Sam Otto , Roberto Urbina, Sheila Vand and Lena Hall, is a co-production of Tomorrow Studios and Turner’s Studio T, along with CJ Entertainment. The series is executive produced by Tomorrow Studios’ Marty Adelstein and Becky Clements; and the original film’s Bong Joon Ho, Park Chan-wook, Lee Tae-hun and Dooho Choi.

Blanchard starred as Riley Matthews on Girl Meets World, which aired for three seasons on Disney Channel. She also recurs on Splitting Up Together. Blanchard is repped by UTA and Untitled Entertainment.

https://deadline.com/2019/03/rowan-b...er-1202583579/

post #24 of 36 Old 05-15-2019, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Already renewed for season 2 before it even airs. Also moving to TBS (will get the thread title changed).

https://deadline.com/2019/05/snowpie...al-1202615187/

post #25 of 36 Old 07-20-2019, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Official trailer:

archiguy likes this.

post #26 of 36 Old 07-20-2019, 03:59 PM

They had me at "Jennifer Connelly".

Actually, I think I said that above. So, they still have me.
Keenan likes this.
post #27 of 36 Old 07-21-2019, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So this really is just an extended version of the two-hour movie by the same name? I'm still "on board" but a little less excited about the final destination, mainly because I've been there before.
post #28 of 36 Old 07-21-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
So this really is just an extended version of the two-hour movie by the same name? I'm still "on board" but a little less excited about the final destination, mainly because I've been there before.
So has NBC. I guess not too many people around these days can remember THIS massive piece of cheese, a series that damn near bankrupted them:

Still not clear to me is how exactly the Snowpiercer movie can be adapted into a TV series once you've learned the awful secret about the train's propulsion system in the final scenes of the original film.

post #29 of 36 Old 07-21-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_the_xmtr_tech View Post
Still not clear to me is how exactly the Snowpiercer movie can be adapted into a TV series once you've learned the awful secret about the train's propulsion system in the final scenes of the original film.
I was wondering about the durability of the concept above. I guess it's all going to be about the "tailies" desire to achieve equality and remove the boot from their neck. Probably lots of subplots about sabotage. Some hostage taking. Some "forbidden" inter-class romances. An avalanche forcing them to work together to save everyone, then the rich folks covering it up. Betrayals and alliances. Etc, etc.

I guess they can wring a season or two out of the "high concept". Given that it's on Turner with their vfx budget limitations, I'm just hoping it's not another 'Falling Skies' which had about a season and a half of decent plot lines before the narrative began to crumble of it's own weight.

Hate to say it, but I've forgotten the "awful secret" from the movie. Spoiler-tag it?
post #30 of 36 Old 07-21-2019, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked: 895
Americans remaking Asian/Korean cinema - will not end well. Expect the usual dumbing down and cliches of US productions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page