Forum Jump: 
 145Likes

post #31 of 186 Old 08-07-2018, 12:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1831 Post(s)
Liked: 1620
I would be shocked if Brent Spiner appeared. As I recall, one of his goals in contributing to the writing of Nemesis was to give Data a sendoff, because he already felt uncomfortable playing a character who never ages when he had changed significantly since the start of TNG -- and this was in 2002. There's no way he would consent to reprise his role at this point, unless he's had a radical change of heart.
dwaleke likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 186 Old 08-07-2018, 04:12 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I would be shocked if Brent Spiner appeared. As I recall, one of his goals in contributing to the writing of Nemesis was to give Data a sendoff, because he already felt uncomfortable playing a character who never ages when he had changed significantly since the start of TNG -- and this was in 2002. There's no way he would consent to reprise his role at this point, unless he's had a radical change of heart.
Even during the TNG run, there was an obvious difference from S1 vs later seasons re: Spiner age/weight, etc.

The writers should have addressed this from the get go by stating Data was meant to mimic humans as closely as possible, since he could eat food and have physical relations (Naked Now) even though he didn't need to, which Soong granted him just to fit in socially better. Coulda just said he had the ability to change weight and had skin that aged naturally (though it could be repaired/stopped if Data wanted) to further fit in with humans he worked with. Think the Terminator- aging real-skin shell, though not a big deal to just claim Data's was a synthetic skin polymer that could grow/self repair, etc.

Last edited by Rgb; 08-07-2018 at 04:18 AM.
post #33 of 186 Old 08-07-2018, 04:16 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
They tried that in the movies. By the time Nemesis came around, Spiner looked pretty ridiculous slathered in pancake makeup.

If anything, I'd expect some sort of digital de-aging, a la Kurt Russell at the beginning of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. The technology for that has gotten a lot better than, say, Jeff Bridges in Tron Legacy. It would probably limit Data's screen time, though. I imagine it would be too expensive to keep him on screen for multiple TV episodes.
Cost to do the CGI "makeup" should come down even further as CPU power goes up and software gets better moving forward.

Could also just punt and do a Yoda on Data, i.e. full CGI Data in future appearances. Just need Spiner for voice work, could use a stand in for motion capture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 186 Old 08-07-2018, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 5922 Post(s)
Liked: 6511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post
Could also just punt and do a Yoda on Data, i.e. full CGI Data in future appearances. Just need Spiner for voice work, could use a stand in for motion capture
It would still look like "fake" and take you right out of the scene, IMO. There's still a big difference between make believe monsters or animations and real human beings in terms of CGI believability. Motion capture still has its limitations.
post #35 of 186 Old 08-07-2018, 06:06 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
It would still look like motion capture and take you right out of the scene. There's still a big difference between make believe monsters or animations and real human beings in terms of CGI believability.

Avatar did it right, though we had never seen the Navi and they weren't supposed to be human, so no uncanny valley to overcome
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley
post #36 of 186 Old 08-07-2018, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
...and Stewart is a MUCH classier, nicer guy vs Shatner in person.

Also stayed in shape and doesn't age vs the Hairclub for Federation Shatner and his Oprah-esque weight issues throughout his career
Really? My wife and I met Shatner in April and had a nice chat with him. He was a true gentleman and was very warm and kind to both of us.
JoeTiVo and locomo like this.

Husband, Scientist, Miami Dolphins Fan.
post #37 of 186 Old 08-07-2018, 07:24 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokilarry View Post
Really? My wife and I met Shatner in April and had a nice chat with him. He was a true gentleman and was very warm and kind to both of us.
I guess I was referring to his on/off again love/hate of Trek and its fanbase through the years (SNL get a life, etc) plus how fascist he's become at Con's re: signatures and photos, having near armed guards to prevent fans from taking cell pics while he's sitting at the autograph table, even from a far distance.

All these celebs gotta remember where they came from and why they are there, i.e. if WE didn't LIKE them, they wouldn't have the fame and wealth they now enjoy.
Throw us a bone and man up and take some hassle when out in public/at a con, etc.

We could all collectively NOT like you moving forward, and no one pay attention anymore...
post #38 of 186 Old 08-07-2018, 07:29 AM

Ah! I see. I have never been to a convention of any sort. I could only base my opinion on how he interacted with us. I didn't experience any of the stuff you mentioned.

post #39 of 186 Old 08-07-2018, 07:30 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ah! I see. I have never been to a convention of any sort. I could only base my opinion on how he interacted with us. I didn't experience any of the stuff you mentioned.
Yes, at the Motor City Comic Con around 2015 or so- he was ridiculous how he restricted casual photos.
post #40 of 186 Old 08-07-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Yes, at the Motor City Comic Con around 2015 or so- he was ridiculous how he restricted casual photos.
Yikes! I had no idea. My experience must have been an outlier.

post #41 of 186 Old 08-07-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
That's really sad. What's the point? Protecting his "brand"? Good lord, he must have all the money he needs if he lives to be 200. And with his weight issues, he'll be lucky to get to 80.
post #42 of 186 Old 08-07-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
That's really sad. What's the point? Protecting his "brand"? Good lord, he must have all the money he needs if he lives to be 200. And with his weight issues, he'll be lucky to get to 80.
He's 87.
Tack and brazensol like this.

post #43 of 186 Old 08-07-2018, 07:49 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
He's 87.
And he has enough to not worry about getting his $40/autograph
https://www.celebritynetworth.com/ri...ner-net-worth/

As I said, autograph's used to be free, part of admission to the Con, at least through the 90's
post #44 of 186 Old 08-07-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
And he has enough to not worry about getting his $40/autograph
https://www.celebritynetworth.com/ri...ner-net-worth/

As I said, autograph's used to be free, part of admission to the Con, at least through the 90's
Henry Winkler definitely hounded him for not signing autographs and having pics taken on "Better Late Than Never".

post #45 of 186 Old 08-07-2018, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked: 540
All this love for Patrick Stewart's Picard. I thought he was awful as the the choice for the Captain of the Enterprise. Bald, skinny, wimpy, condescending, afraid of children and totally unbelievable as an "action hero". My favorite episodes of the series were when the Borg made him their "drone" and Frakes' Riker took over. Every episode centering on Picard was just weak.

Seriously as a fan of the original, I just never warmed up to Picard. I always saw him more of a "Number 2".

Now on CBS's decision to show it via "pay for view", I'm out. Between cable, Netflix, Amazon, internet, phone/wireless plans, disk purchases, streaming purchases....it is crazy what I'm paying to be entertained each month... North of $600. Now Disney is coming...to remove much of my content from Netflix, so another service to pay for.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...eap-build.html
Epson HC3700/HC2000; Screen - 151.5" 16:9/TV or 143.5" 2.35:1/HT at a seating distance of 12-15 feet; Yamaha RXV675 for 7.4; Speakers - Infinity Primus; Subs - 3 Polk PSW10s, 1 BIC F12; Headphones - 5 JVC wireless; Sony 3D Blu-ray player/six pairs 3D glasses.
post #46 of 186 Old 08-07-2018, 08:02 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Henry Winkler definitely hounded him for not signing autographs and having pics taken on "Better Late Than Never".
Correct- the autographs/pics are how you "give back" to the fans who made you who you are in the first place!

I understand not wanting to be constantly hounded in public, but simple glasses/hats/fake beard/stach and/or bodyguard when needed take care of that.

If you're tired of physically signing, have some small preprinted cards that only you make (have professionally printed) to hand out- they'd still be collectible if you're the only one making them. Include a holographic "Authenticity mark" or similar.
lokilarry likes this.

Last edited by Rgb; 08-07-2018 at 08:33 AM.
post #47 of 186 Old 08-07-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
He's 87.
Okay, 90 then.
lokilarry likes this.
post #48 of 186 Old 08-07-2018, 08:23 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Okay, 90 then.
Even Ernest Borgnine, not a thin man, made it to 95
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Borgnine

Funny- Borg + Seven of Nine = Borgnine!
archiguy likes this.
post #49 of 186 Old 08-07-2018, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
All these celebs gotta remember where they came from and why they are there, i.e. if WE didn't LIKE them, they wouldn't have the fame and wealth they now enjoy.
Throw us a bone and man up and take some hassle when out in public/at a con, etc.

We could all collectively NOT like you moving forward, and no one pay attention anymore...
I would feel the same way, but I have (well had...he's more infamous than famous these days...drugs/arrests/sex tapes/domestic violence/sexual harassment allegations) a celebrity in the family. It was awful to be around him. Even at family reunions/gatherings/visits...family members were like flies buzzing him for photos....going out in public was worse...no peace...never alone. I couldn't live like that...I like privacy....well, admittedly the female fans might be okay for a while.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...eap-build.html
Epson HC3700/HC2000; Screen - 151.5" 16:9/TV or 143.5" 2.35:1/HT at a seating distance of 12-15 feet; Yamaha RXV675 for 7.4; Speakers - Infinity Primus; Subs - 3 Polk PSW10s, 1 BIC F12; Headphones - 5 JVC wireless; Sony 3D Blu-ray player/six pairs 3D glasses.
post #50 of 186 Old 08-07-2018, 08:36 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1106 View Post
I would feel the same way, but I have (well had...he's more infamous than famous these days...drugs/arrests/sex tapes/domestic violence/sexual harassment allegations) a celebrity in the family. It was awful to be around him. Even at family reunions/gatherings/visits...family members were like flies buzzing him for photos....going out in public was worse...no peace...never alone. I couldn't live like that...I like privacy....well, admittedly the female fans might be okay for a while.
Can't have it both/all ways.

Either man up and manage the celeb hassles and fame and (potential) wealth along with it, or find another career without the fame and wealth.

The only way you get the roles and work in showbiz is if fans/producers/directors "like" you- that's it. Actual talent/acting ability is entirely subjective/secondary to nonexistent in many cases.

As a courtesy for "liking" you (and the wealth it may have generated) you put up with fan hassles.

Last edited by Rgb; 08-07-2018 at 11:00 AM.
post #51 of 186 Old 08-07-2018, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 292
I'm excited for this but I hope they don't get Wesley Crusher back.

He was the most annoying character in the original show, and the actor has since turned into such a smarmy, self-important egomaniac, even compared to other successful child actors who fizzled out. It'll make it harder for me to get into this show if he's in it. I'm with Sheldon Cooper on this, he's pure evil!
post #52 of 186 Old 08-07-2018, 08:55 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleAxeVR View Post
I'm excited for this but I hope they don't get Wesley Crusher back.

He was the most annoying character in the original show, and the actor has since turned into such a smarmy, self-important egomaniac, even compared to other successful child actors who fizzled out. It'll make it harder for me to get into this show if he's in it. I'm with Sheldon Cooper on this, he's pure evil!
I don't think many Trek fans would argue these points, though I watched TNG during my undergrad years. Had I been younger (~10 or less), I may have considered Wesley a role model/hero.

Of course, this is what Roddenberry may have been going for- a character relate-able to the kid demographic.

I agree Wheaton has an air of superiority, or at least plays it up for Big Bang theory. May stem from his first Big Thing, critical acclaim for Stand By Me.

But I throw him a bone for being a genuinely smart guy and "one of us" geeks

https://geekandsundry.com/shows/tabletop/

https://uproxx.com/tv/wil-wheaton-ex...-to-be-a-nerd/

Last edited by Rgb; 08-07-2018 at 08:58 AM.
post #53 of 186 Old 08-07-2018, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1567 Post(s)
Liked: 1475
Wil Wheaton has been very candid about his life-long struggles with depression and anxiety. He's played a lot of annoying characters, including villains, over the years, but I totally respect him as a person.

Here's an article he wrote (actually a transcription of a talk he gave) in which he details his personal demons: https://medium.com/@wilw/my-name-is-...d-8f693f9c0af1

I personally wouldn't have a problem with him making an appearance in this new Star Trek series.
curtlots likes this.
post #54 of 186 Old 08-07-2018, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1860 Post(s)
Liked: 2190
I wonder if he will be an admiral in the new series with a younger crew on the ship? Just thinking out loud. Wonder how they will handle this, can't see someone in their upper 80's being in to many action scenes. Curious how they do all this but I am all in for sure.

post #55 of 186 Old 08-07-2018, 10:44 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
I wonder if he will be an admiral in the new series with a younger crew on the ship? Just thinking out loud. Wonder how they will handle this, can't see someone in their upper 80's being in to many action scenes. Curious how they do all this but I am all in for sure.
I assumed they would be doing a more DS9 vibe show- Admiral/Commodore Picard at Fed HQ or similar station/office setting with visits by new recruits/problem captains/aliens etc, with stories about missions or politics.

(or is that Atari/Commodore?)

Last edited by Rgb; 08-07-2018 at 11:02 AM.
post #56 of 186 Old 08-07-2018, 10:48 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
Wil Wheaton has been very candid about his life-long struggles with depression and anxiety. He's played a lot of annoying characters, including villains, over the years, but I totally respect him as a person.

Here's an article he wrote (actually a transcription of a talk he gave) in which he details his personal demons: https://medium.com/@wilw/my-name-is-...d-8f693f9c0af1

I personally wouldn't have a problem with him making an appearance in this new Star Trek series.
Forgot about Wheaton's depression issues- a Big Deal.

Props to him for motoring through it- see Robin Williams for alternative...
Zookster likes this.
post #57 of 186 Old 08-07-2018, 10:56 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post
My only real problem with Picard coming back is that he was not created, nor did he exist, in a vacuum. Picard was part of an ensemble cast and a very clearly defined universe of players and rules. Without the right group of people around him to challenge him or to rely upon, it certainly won't be the Picard we know. Sure, he had his share of solo spelunking adventures that worked out well from time to time, but let's also not forget that by the year 2395 (16 years after Nemesis), Picard had developed incurable Irumodic Syndrome. So, unless he used foreknowledge and took preventative measures after the events of All Good Things - he's going to be showing signs of mental degeneration by the time this series launches.
Not a stretch to claim a cure for Irumodic Syndrome had been developed in intervening years (no, even Q's "future" is not set in stone). Or just claim Q cured him.

...or, since the ST-D team is involved, just ignore it with all other canon, aesthetic or otherwise

Last edited by Rgb; 08-07-2018 at 11:02 AM.
post #58 of 186 Old 08-07-2018, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked: 486
If Picard's not a Captain it would just be plain boring. After all, Kirk told him what he already knew: "Don't let them promote you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship." No Admiral rank, no SF Academy, it's not in Picard's nature to be anything other than in command of a SF ship. Patrick Stewart is in great shape, he can pull it off.

William Shatner will outlive us all.
mike1812 likes this.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #59 of 186 Old 08-07-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post

William Shatner will outlive us all.
I have never met someone his age that is as mentally sharp as he is. I hope I'm that sharp at 70, let alone 87.

post #60 of 186 Old 08-07-2018, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Brent Spiner has been cast as the Vice President ( to Lynda Carter's Prez), in the upcoming season of SuperGirl ...
As far as age, everone alive today, including Patrick Stewart, should take care of the environment & planet that we are all eventually leaving to Keith Richards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11111.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	2438730  
rcman2 and mike1812 like this.

Last edited by MeatChicken; 08-07-2018 at 01:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page