Forum Jump: 
 145Likes

post #61 of 186 Old 08-07-2018, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 1563
One of my work associates saw Shat at a recent Somethingorother Con.. $189 for a photo w/the legend.

The photo was taken by his photog with his camera. For $189 you got a glossy print and a jpg copy emailed to you.

You were not supposed to talk with him....

For $189... I would loudly mumble "Denny Crane!!" just as the photo was being snapped to try to get a reaction out of Shat

"we're still here!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 186 Old 08-07-2018, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 5922 Post(s)
Liked: 6511
I've always heard "you can't take it with you". Evidently, The Shat disagrees.
post #63 of 186 Old 08-07-2018, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokilarry View Post
I have never met someone his age that is as mentally sharp as he is. I hope I'm that sharp at 70, let alone 87.
Or so active. I don't think he knows what retirement means. Neither did Ernest Borgnine.

This line intentionally left blank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 186 Old 08-07-2018, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
If Picard's not a Captain it would just be plain boring. After all, Kirk told him what he already knew: "Don't let them promote you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship." No Admiral rank, no SF Academy, it's not in Picard's nature to be anything other than in command of a SF ship. Patrick Stewart is in great shape, he can pull it off.
William Shatner will outlive us all.
Quote:
I have never met someone his age that is as mentally sharp as he is. I hope I'm that sharp at 70, let alone 87.
Wow, 87? I had to look it up to believe it was true! It's probably the genes, he's probably an Ashkenazi Jew? Almost every other 80+ year old that I know looks like a frail, gaunt, wisp of a human being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post
Not a stretch to claim a cure for Irumodic Syndrome had been developed in intervening years (no, even Q's "future" is not set in stone). Or just claim Q cured him.
...or, since the ST-D team is involved, just ignore it with all other canon, aesthetic or otherwise
Like Dr. Crusher said, symptoms may never develop, so I'm sure they'll just wipe it away. However, it could make for a much better side story where Picard has to live with the ailment, questioning his decisions, etc. Could make him a slightly more flawed character - which is what everyone loves these days. Who knows.
post #65 of 186 Old 08-07-2018, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
Or so active. I don't think he knows what retirement means. Neither did Ernest Borgnine.
He keeps reinventing himself. He was chatting with me about a couple of new ventures of his, an electric bike company and a solar panel company. From what everyone here has said, I guess I was fortunate to be in a different setting than a convention.

Husband, Scientist, Miami Dolphins Fan.
post #66 of 186 Old 08-07-2018, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1831 Post(s)
Liked: 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1106 View Post
All this love for Patrick Stewart's Picard. I thought he was awful as the the choice for the Captain of the Enterprise. Bald, skinny, wimpy, condescending, afraid of children and totally unbelievable as an "action hero".
If you think Picard was supposed to be an action hero, then you do not understand TNG, or Trek in general, at all. The only reason Kirk got into so many fights was that NBC demanded action sequences in TOS.
nathanddrews likes this.
post #67 of 186 Old 08-07-2018, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 431
I liked this, The 12 Best Star Trek Episodes for Celebrating Captain Picard's Return, https://www.popularmechanics.com/cul...card-episodes/

Cheers,
JoeTiVo likes this.

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)
post #68 of 186 Old 08-08-2018, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoonie View Post
I liked this, The 12 Best Star Trek Episodes for Celebrating Captain Picard's Return, https://www.popularmechanics.com/cul...card-episodes/

Cheers,
Those were definitely some of my favorites. The Inner Light probably is number 1 for me.
curtlots, bobby94928 and dnoonie like this.

Husband, Scientist, Miami Dolphins Fan.
post #69 of 186 Old 08-08-2018, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
If you think Picard was supposed to be an action hero, then you do not understand TNG, or Trek in general, at all. The only reason Kirk got into so many fights was that NBC demanded action sequences in TOS.
Oh I think I understand Trek in general...."Wagon Train to the Stars" is how it was pitched. TNG was best when Picard stayed on the bridge and let the others handle the action. Admittedly the movies were the worst putting at putting Picard in a fighting/action role. On the fights/action/danger, I'm not sure anyone would tune in without them. Admittedly there were quite a few TNG episodes that were like watching paint dry...Data solves a mystery in the holodeck.

Roddenberry's vision may have been more Picard than Kirk.... a thinker not a fighter, but it didn't sell which is why we didn't get Captain Pike in the first place when the original pilot didn't sell. It is also why the powers that be reduced Roddenberry's role in TNG.

Having grown up with Kirk...Picard didn't cut it for me. I always thought Riker would have been a better Captain....until he packed on a few pounds...but I was a fan of Wesley and Janeway so what do I know.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...eap-build.html
Epson HC3700/HC2000; Screen - 151.5" 16:9/TV or 143.5" 2.35:1/HT at a seating distance of 12-15 feet; Yamaha RXV675 for 7.4; Speakers - Infinity Primus; Subs - 3 Polk PSW10s, 1 BIC F12; Headphones - 5 JVC wireless; Sony 3D Blu-ray player/six pairs 3D glasses.

Last edited by steve1106; 08-08-2018 at 07:09 AM.
post #70 of 186 Old 08-08-2018, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 1898 Post(s)
Liked: 1818
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1106 View Post
Oh I think I understand Trek in general...."Wagon Train to the Stars" is how it was pitched. TNG was best when Picard stayed on the bridge and let the others handle the action. Admittedly the movies were the worst putting at putting Picard in a fighting/action role. On the fights/action/danger, I'm not sure anyone would tune in without them. Admittedly there were quite a few TNG episodes that were like watching paint dry...Data solves a mystery in the holodeck.

Roddenberry's vision may have been more Picard than Kirk.... a thinker not a fighter, but it didn't sell which is why we didn't get Captain Pike in the first place when the original pilot didn't sell. It is also why the powers that be reduced Roddenberry's role in TNG.

Having grown up with Kirk...Picard didn't cut it for me. I always thought Riker would have been a better Captain....until he packed on a few pounds...but I was a fan of Wesley and Janeway so what do I know.
This is what I loved about TNG. It was a show of exploration and relationships first. Everything else like fights and conflicts were secondary plots. It felt very real to me. These days everybody is sold on action first, story maybe.

Star Trek died with Gene Roddenberry.
post #71 of 186 Old 08-08-2018, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked: 1074
Reading of the dislike of Wesley recently. Recorded the episode, The Game last week. For myself, that was a decent episode and he was at his most natural best. I also thought he did well when he met the Traveler, an episode I also liked.
Tack and Zookster like this.
post #72 of 186 Old 08-08-2018, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 1898 Post(s)
Liked: 1818
I always liked Wesley. In fact I LOVE his character on The Bing Bang Theory. All the star trek episodes of that show have been great. I love the one where Brent Spiner shows up and opens up Sheldons toy to play with it lol.
post #73 of 186 Old 08-08-2018, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 1563
Quote:
The Inner Light probably is number 1 for me.
My wife always mentions "The Inner Light" as her favorite TNG episode as well.

"we're still here!"
post #74 of 186 Old 08-08-2018, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 5922 Post(s)
Liked: 6511
My favorite TNG episode was and shall forever be "Yesterday's Enterprise".
Legairre and Zookster like this.
post #75 of 186 Old 08-08-2018, 09:16 AM
buz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Some random thoughts

I'm an original series trekkie, and have been to many conventions over the years. In the 70's and 80's and 90's you would find a guest or two come to your small town around the country. The guests would interact with fans, be out on the merch floor, etc. I remember when George Takei would announce what time he was going to go out for a run, and anyone was welcome to join. Now the conventions are all controlled by Creative Conventions. They have strict rules as to what the actors can do so as to make sure the people that pay more get more. So I wouldn't be so hard on William Shatner. I imagine some of what people are experiencing at the conventions is a result of his contract. I think I went to one of the last large independent conventions run by a company called Slanted Fedora, it was in Sep 2001 in Las Vegas. I think they went out of business just after that because Creation started signing all the actors to exclusive contracts. The convention had most of the 4 treks casts there (Thats all there was at the time, Enterprise hadn't aired yet). We got lots of access, photos signed by anyone that was there no extra cost. You just had to wait in the line. You could talk to any actor no problems. One of the actresses that played either Lursa or Betor was there, and even though she had a line she talked with every person, and held long conversations with people. It was quite impressive.

I was not a fan of the Wesley character, from what i've heard, the original bible produced for the show said he was bright and he was a young Gene Roddenberry type. So all the writers went off and wrote Wesley saves the ship scripts. I think they greatly improved his character later in the series as someone mentioned the Game episode, and the one where Wesley's team in starfleet academy has a flight accident doing an illegal stunt. Will hung around in the front area of the convention I mentioned above, and he talked to anyone and was very gracious to do so.

Even though I'm an original series trekkie, I actually consider "The Inner Light" to be the finest star trek episode ever written.

buz
post #76 of 186 Old 08-08-2018, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked: 1474
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
Reading of the dislike of Wesley recently. Recorded the episode, The Game last week. For myself, that was a decent episode and he was at his most natural best. I also thought he did well when he met the Traveler, an episode I also liked.
The Traveler episode, when Wesley left Starfleet to go explore the universe, aired at a pivotal time for me, as I was on the cusp, it turned out, of making a major life-changing (career-related) decision. I won't say I made the decision to quit my current situation because of that episode, but it definitely left an impression and made me think about what I really wanted in life.
Rgb, shivaji and Tack like this.
post #77 of 186 Old 08-08-2018, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked: 1474
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I've probably re-watched that episode more than any others. I'm not enough of a Trekker (or Trekkie) to know episodes by name, but I definitely know that one.
post #78 of 186 Old 08-08-2018, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Lol, though I have watched the episodes multiple times, I don't know any by name, and have to look up all mentioned.
mike1812 likes this.
post #79 of 186 Old 08-08-2018, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4543 Post(s)
Liked: 5960
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
I like both of those too. "The Game" kinda called it with the cell phone addiction of today.
shivaji and Zookster like this.
post #80 of 186 Old 08-08-2018, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 502
I wouldn't be at all surprised if they didn't make Picard an advanced version of the AI character like the Holographic Doctor in Voyager. One that can be shaped and shifted by Replicator mass into different characters and species for away missions. While his real form lies in stasis on a new kind of more powerful & diverse Starship capable of using his genetic Borg uniqueness. I bet Data finds its way into that cast too. Maybe as Picard's Chief Engineer and Science Officer. We are all guessing here. I'm just glad to see Picard back!
post #81 of 186 Old 08-09-2018, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
No doubt that's one of the best, but for some reason I think "Tapestry" is the best. I love the story line in that. Yes, even more than "Inner Light", although that's pretty awesome too.
post #82 of 186 Old 08-09-2018, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked: 3745
Stewart must be broke...cash grab
post #83 of 186 Old 08-10-2018, 05:54 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by buz View Post
I'm an original series trekkie, and have been to many conventions over the years. In the 70's and 80's and 90's you would find a guest or two come to your small town around the country. The guests would interact with fans, be out on the merch floor, etc. I remember when George Takei would announce what time he was going to go out for a run, and anyone was welcome to join. Now the conventions are all controlled by Creative Conventions. They have strict rules as to what the actors can do so as to make sure the people that pay more get more. So I wouldn't be so hard on William Shatner. I imagine some of what people are experiencing at the conventions is a result of his contract. I think I went to one of the last large independent conventions run by a company called Slanted Fedora, it was in Sep 2001 in Las Vegas. I think they went out of business just after that because Creation started signing all the actors to exclusive contracts. The convention had most of the 4 treks casts there (Thats all there was at the time, Enterprise hadn't aired yet). We got lots of access, photos signed by anyone that was there no extra cost. You just had to wait in the line. You could talk to any actor no problems. One of the actresses that played either Lursa or Betor was there, and even though she had a line she talked with every person, and held long conversations with people. It was quite impressive.

I was not a fan of the Wesley character, from what i've heard, the original bible produced for the show said he was bright and he was a young Gene Roddenberry type. So all the writers went off and wrote Wesley saves the ship scripts. I think they greatly improved his character later in the series as someone mentioned the Game episode, and the one where Wesley's team in starfleet academy has a flight accident doing an illegal stunt. Will hung around in the front area of the convention I mentioned above, and he talked to anyone and was very gracious to do so.

Even though I'm an original series trekkie, I actually consider "The Inner Light" to be the finest star trek episode ever written.

buz
Thanks for backing me up
Thought I was dreaming 'bout how it used to be at cons...

If there's any value in it, everything goes Big Business eventually. Just wish I had jumped into that game first
post #84 of 186 Old 08-10-2018, 06:14 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

For perspective-

Got Walter Koenig's signature during a book signing for Checkov's Enterprise early 1980 at local mall Waldenbooks. Played hookey (called in sick) from gradeschool to ride my bike a significant distance in freezing rain Michigan March weather to attend. Free to attend and talk for hours ,shake hands, have him sign other stuff, etc. Just had to buy the paperback I was alone with him for what seemed like hours- it was the middle of a workday/week in the Midwest so sparse attendance, a local Trek club geek "president" arrived to interview him after a time.
https://www.amazon.com/Chekhovs-Ente.../dp/0708818005

Jame Doohan 1986- appearance at local Highland Appliance store (Best Buy/Circuit City of the 40's-80's around Michigan)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highland_Superstores

Free to attend and bring whatever you wanted signed. Significant attendance since it was well advertised and between ST3 and ST4. I brought my 70's edition Franz Joseph Starfleet Technical Manual
https://www.amazon.com/Starfleet-Tec...chnical+manual

and he signed the Enterprise 1701 (no bloody A, B, C or D!) schematic page, plus a photo plaque I brought of the TOS crew on the original bridge, plus he gave away 8x10 headshot Scotty glossies he signed per your instruction! Shook his hand and discovered he was missing a finger at that time from WW2 D Day. 3 signatures from Scotty in one fell swoop! All free. Assume he was paid by Highland Appliance to show up.

Marina Sirtis and Michael Dorn ~1996 Dearborn MI Trek convention. Marina came through the same entrance all the fans/attendees did and interacted with the crowds, complimenting fans for cosplay, visiting vendors, yelling into the crowds to have fun, etc. No problems having items signed, hugging, etc.

George Takei ~1998 Borders Books appearance. Just show up and wait in line. I brought some Captain Sulu audio books on CD I already had (i.e. didn't have to buy anything)
https://www.amazon.com/Transformatio.../dp/0671045245

which he signed graciously (label side of discs), shook his hand, small talk. Nice guy, no pretentiousness whatsoever, comfortable with fans.

Those were good Trek memories...
archiguy, mike1812 and Tack like this.

Last edited by Rgb; 08-10-2018 at 07:56 AM.
post #85 of 186 Old 08-10-2018, 06:39 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
Stewart must be broke...cash grab
Amazes me how many celebs end up cash strapped in their 60's-80's when most reponsible working people are retiring with their 401's/IRA's/pensions/investments/savings.

Poor financial management and/or managers who scam them...
post #86 of 186 Old 08-10-2018, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked: 3745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post
Amazes me how many celebs end up cash strapped in their 60's-80's when most reponsible working people are retiring with their 401's/IRA's/pensions/investments/savings.

Poor financial management and/or managers who scam them...
the more $$ you have the easier it is to waste...hell even people making middle class salaries spend over their means...I'm sure Pat Stewart is set for life financially but you have to wonder about some of these celebrities once known for their great acting resorting to bad roles in bad movies in the twilight of their career (I'm looking at you Al Pacino, Anthony Hopkins, Robert DeNiro and Russell Crowe)
post #87 of 186 Old 08-10-2018, 07:04 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
the more $$ you have the easier it is to waste...hell even people making middle class salaries spend over their means...I'm sure Pat Stewart is set for life financially but you have to wonder about some of these celebrities once known for their great acting resorting to bad roles in bad movies in the twilight of their career (I'm looking at you Al Pacino, Anthony Hopkins, Robert DeNiro and Russell Crowe)
Agreed. That, and divorces et al add up

Now, Denzel Washington admits to doing the Equalizers of the world only for the jack

Can ALWAYS do the artsy fartsy Fences of the world on the side for free
post #88 of 186 Old 08-10-2018, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post
Almost every other 80+ year old that I know looks like a frail, gaunt, wisp of a human being.
He was thrown from a horse back in 2014 and then it fell on top of him, any other 80+ person would have died, he only needed a cane for a short while then he was good as new, he really is mf-ing Captain Kirk, lol.
post #89 of 186 Old 08-10-2018, 07:59 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco View Post
He was thrown from a horse back in 2014 and then it fell on top of him, any other 80+ person would have died, he only needed a cane for a short while then he was good as new, he really is mf-ing Captain Kirk, lol.
Yes, as much as we all like to bash him for his bad personality traits- Shatner really is a tough mofo

He liked doing (Some) of his own stunts on TOS and TJ Hooker, and did dangerous sports during 60's-70's like motocross biking and other physical sports.

He was quite competitive on the 70's-80's show Battle of the Network Stars

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle..._Network_Stars

post #90 of 186 Old 08-10-2018, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Speaking of Shatner doing his own stunts. Lets play find the stunt double, in his fight with Khan. My brother, who was only 5 or 6 at the time of its original showing was fond of saying during shows such as these. "Hey, who's that guy." Which would make us laugh, as he often spotted the double first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_c1...&frags=pl%2Cwn

Last edited by shivaji; 08-10-2018 at 08:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page