post #1321 of 1660 Old 03-03-2020, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5309 Post(s)
Liked: 4404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
Whether you love or hate the show, I think we can all agree that this is not a series which will be very memorable or rewatched over the years.
No, we cannot all agree on that. The show has aired all of six episodes so far. It took TNG almost 50 episodes to start making memorable or rewatchable episodes.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1322 of 1660 Old 03-03-2020, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
Deep enough in this series now to point out a few realities:

1. Makeup must be expensive. Romulans just look like humans with pointy ears.

2. We will not see any of the old aliens of TNG era, just Romulans and Borg. Next season maybe. Maybe it's just too expensive. Where are the Klingons? Cardassians? Ferengi? Bajorans? Vulcans? (I hate to think of what the Cardassians would look like in this series, obviously something we wouldn't recognize.)
Kind Sir, did you not pay attention to the first episode? The journalist that interviewed Picard was Bajoran.

Moreover, I'm not surprised that there aren't that many aliens in a storyline involving Romulans. They're not known for being a very inclusive bunch.

This could also be explained by the fact that we haven't seen all the freed Borg, as they would be from a plethora of species just like citizens of the Federation.
post #1323 of 1660 Old 03-03-2020, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 524
So far, this new rendition of Star Trek is a huge snoozefest for me. It's like Star Trek has lost its grounding in creative storytelling that hooked me so profoundly in the original tv series (decades ago). I watched those shows religiously in weekly production and syndication (over and over ad nauseum). Because they were interesting stories, loaded with a thrilling sense of discovery. Now it seems like everything is just way too familiar. The entire universe seems to have no discovery or mystery anymore...no life bending threats to escape from...no more what the hell is that! It's just seems about number crunching familiarity to me. for example I would love a Star Trek movie or 8 episode (max) series that searched for answers to the biggest unsolved mystery/enigma of all ST lore. What happened to the VGER-Decker-Ailiah entity?
shivaji and dwaleke like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1324 of 1660 Old 03-03-2020, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked: 1984
^ All that and more awaits you in Star Trek Discovery... especially in Season 2.

"Any year the Pats don't get to the SB is a good year"
post #1325 of 1660 Old 03-03-2020, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1368 Post(s)
Liked: 1409
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
Wow, you do not get the Borg at all. Either that, or I am missing the sarcasm.
Eh, what's to get, the entire storyline of the Borg, I find less than compelling. From how they are written to how they are displayed on screen. I would not have missed them, if it was a one and done episode with them or not at all. For that matter the Ferengi don't capture my interest either.
On the other hand, as far as TNG shows, characters such as The Doud, The Traveler and most times Q, to name a few, I do find much more interestingly written.
Tack and barrelbelly like this.
post #1326 of 1660 Old 03-03-2020, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post
Kind Sir, did you not pay attention to the first episode? The journalist that interviewed Picard was Bajoran.

Moreover, I'm not surprised that there aren't that many aliens in a storyline involving Romulans. They're not known for being a very inclusive bunch.

This could also be explained by the fact that we haven't seen all the freed Borg, as they would be from a plethora of species just like citizens of the Federation.
Well that makes up for it then. 1 Bajoran journalist that wasn't integral to the plot. I was thinking along the lines of actual recurring roles.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #1327 of 1660 Old 03-04-2020, 03:26 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2292 Post(s)
Liked: 3376
Lead Creature Designer Neville Page and Prosthetic Designer Vincent Van Dyke explain how they brought the former Borg-also known as xBs-to life.

aaronwt and cardoski like this.

post #1328 of 1660 Old 03-04-2020, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
Whether you love or hate the show, I think we can all agree that this is not a series which will be very memorable or rewatched over the years. For me thats the mark of a truly great show, I've seen them multiple times and it never gets old. Trek is included in this, and I'm sure there are many who've watched many Trek shows multiple times, own the box sets etc (now they are all on streaming).

This could've been yet another classic.
I guess I am in the minority here. I have already watched the episodes of Picard twice, and I am starting through the second run of The Ready Room. Picard is far from perfect, but after the 3rd or 4th time through Deep Space Nine, which is my personal favorite series, I have started to see some imperfections as well. At the time, I thought Voyager got off to a rocky start, but it got better, and we all know why.

The missing issue in Picard for me is levity. I have to accept that long conversations about humanism are gone from Star Trek. Modern viewers do not care about philosophy. Young people in bed is not enough of a break from the tension. I have seen better bodies. They need to crack a few jokes between blowing stuff up.
Rgb, DougDingle, shivaji and 1 others like this.

7.4.6.2 system with Denon 8500, Additional Amps: Emotiva (front and center), NAD (2nd set of surrounds), NAD (Top Middle, Top Surround), classic Klipsch speakers.

Last edited by Alanlee; 03-04-2020 at 11:16 AM.
post #1329 of 1660 Old 03-04-2020, 11:18 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked: 1100
Watched first 3 episodes first time last weekend.

As a life long Trek superfan/geek (all aired series and films), just a few comments and observations to start:

On first viewing, Picard generally hits all the right notes with me re: Picard the character at this point in his life, the Trek Prime timeline appears about right, as well as the general atmosphere and setting of Earth, the Federation at his time (given the destruction of Romulus, the Dominion War and the Borg issues) and tech level shown.

The scanner that pulls quantum info from the surroundings to recreate recent events was an excellent example of Trek tech we haven't seen explicily before.

The resolution of TNG style Romulans vs TOS era Romulans was a nice tip of the hat to long time Trek geeks.

I could see the TOS/Trek arrowhead symbol in the fabric pattern on the colored tops of the new uniforms worn at Fed HQ, on my 8ft wide screen from a JVC RS420.

WIfe and I watched Insurrection and Nemesis the day before STP, which felt like a direct continuation/sequel to NEM.

Bottom line- kudos to those involved in writing and production of STP.
aaronwt, Josh Z, Superman2 and 2 others like this.
post #1330 of 1660 Old 03-04-2020, 11:36 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quick thoughts re: Insurrection and Nemesis, the last two TNG films, and last trek films before the 2009 reboot.

On first viewing at the theater, like most moviegoers, I was disappointed. Both films didn't "feel cinematic", and NEM was slow and plodding, too talky.

But on viewing them at home for the first time, second time viewing total for me for each, my impression is that both films were pretty good TNG Trek, and were really filmed, structured and flowed like 2 part TNG TV episodes, which is probably one reason both flopped at the box office.

Movegoers expect a certain pace and flow in films on the big screen.

Similarly, TOS films like TMP and ST3 didn't do as well with the general public due to their pace/flow. TMP was like a cerebral, early TOS S1 episode. ST3 was like a 2 part TOS movie era episode focused on Spock, like Amok Time or Operation Annihilate.

Now I appreciate the dialog and character developments in NEM, and Insurrection for that matter.

Anyone watching STP really needs to view both films, plus maybe FC for the Borg/Picard and some Data character issues.
Alanlee and Al_the_xmtr_tech like this.

Last edited by Rgb; 03-04-2020 at 12:17 PM.
post #1331 of 1660 Old 03-04-2020, 02:26 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 9981 Post(s)
Liked: 6651
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post
So far, this new rendition of Star Trek is a huge snoozefest for me. It's like Star Trek has lost its grounding in creative storytelling that hooked me so profoundly in the original tv series (decades ago). I watched those shows religiously in weekly production and syndication (over and over ad nauseum). Because they were interesting stories, loaded with a thrilling sense of discovery. Now it seems like everything is just way too familiar. The entire universe seems to have no discovery or mystery anymore...no life bending threats to escape from...no more what the hell is that! It's just seems about number crunching familiarity to me. for example I would love a Star Trek movie or 8 episode (max) series that searched for answers to the biggest unsolved mystery/enigma of all ST lore. What happened to the VGER-Decker-Ailiah entity?
I feel just the opposite. At first I didn't even plan on subscribing to CBS AA for it. I was going to wait until the Good Fight or Discovery came back on before subscribing again and then watch Picard. But since CBS AA had the two months at half price, I decided to subscribe again, since that would cover the entire season of Picard. And I am glad I did. Since I have been thoroughly enjoying it.
archiguy and Alanlee like this.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1332 of 1660 Old 03-04-2020, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I like Nemesis. You finally get to see the Enterprise E in action in a real battle, granted it takes a beating in the process but it's the best battle any Enterprise had been in before. And that was the last time I had seen a ST film in theater where everyone clapped at the end. I mean that. I remember going to each of the 4 TNG films and at the end everyone clapped with standing ovation. I really didn't understand why Nemesis got bad reviews, everyone seemed to really enjoy the movie when I went.
aaronwt, shivaji, cardoski and 2 others like this.

post #1333 of 1660 Old 03-05-2020, 05:09 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
I like Nemesis. You finally get to see the Enterprise E in action in a real battle, granted it takes a beating in the process but it's the best battle any Enterprise had been in before. And that was the last time I had seen a ST film in theater where everyone clapped at the end. I mean that. I remember going to each of the 4 TNG films and at the end everyone clapped with standing ovation. I really didn't understand why Nemesis got bad reviews, everyone seemed to really enjoy the movie when I went.
When wife and I went to theater to see NEM, there was maybe 10 people in there, a bad sign. And this was in the first few days of the opening, during midday.

Yes, the 1701-E showing and action was exceptional for Trek tech/ship geeks.

At the time, the battle between Picard/Ent-E and his clone/Scimitar didn't gel with me. Given the Sovereign class 1701E was designed to fight the Borg, I thought it was taken out too easily by one Romulan ship, the Scimitar.

But on the recent viewing, and in light of the power and tech level of Nero's ship in Trek 2009, my take has changed re: NEM. Given the Romulan's extreme secrecy and dangerous tech like using a singularity to power their ships, the NEM battle and 1701E's beating makes sense. Romulans are basically somewhat ahead of the Federation in ship design/tech.

Makes even more sense given what is unfolding in STP re: relationship of Romulans to the Borg/AI
post #1334 of 1660 Old 03-05-2020, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I recall Nemesis was pretty full when I went as was ST 2009. The Scimitar was way superior to the E, they were merely trying to cripple the Enterprise to capture Picard. But they put up the best fight they could.
Rgb likes this.

post #1335 of 1660 Old 03-05-2020, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 2292 Post(s)
Liked: 3376
They did it again, if I could cuss on this forum this thread would be laced with profanity. I will not spoil it for those that have not watched the latest episode.

Spoiler!

Man this is pissing me off (what is in my spoiler tag) and is ruining this show for me.

Rant over, carry on.
barrelbelly likes this.

post #1336 of 1660 Old 03-05-2020, 01:14 PM

My experience with Nemesis was similar to Rgb's. I went opening weekend and the theater was nearly empty. As I recall, Paramount tried to blame its box office failure on the mistake of scheduling it too close to The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, but Nemesis actually opened a week earlier where its only competition was The Hot Chick and Maid in Manhattan. People were just burned out on Star Trek at that time and had no interest in it.
aaronwt likes this.

Josh Z

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
post #1337 of 1660 Old 03-05-2020, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
They did it again, if I could cuss on this forum this thread would be laced with profanity. I will not spoil it for those that have not watched the latest episode.

Man this is pissing me off (what is in my spoiler tag) and is ruining this show for me.

Rant over, carry on.
Well, you warned us, so I guess I have little to complain about. I feel your pain. When they killed Spock in that radiation chamber, it broke my heart. But, just like Sherlock Holmes and Jesus, they brought Spock back. I'm still waiting for Leonard Nimoy to show up. Maybe a similar miracle will occur for you, and all that cussing will be for naught.

7.4.6.2 system with Denon 8500, Additional Amps: Emotiva (front and center), NAD (2nd set of surrounds), NAD (Top Middle, Top Surround), classic Klipsch speakers.
post #1338 of 1660 Old 03-05-2020, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Spock to Kirk in ST the Motion picture: " Jim...VGER needs to evolve. It needs to grow. Its intelligence spans beyond space, dimensions and time...it needs a human dimension to make that leap". I repeat...that is the biggest unsolved mystery in ST lore. And the writers...and producers are just lazy IMO for not taking that imaginative premise and sprinting with it. Meaning exploring other dimensions in space, time and beyond. They actually could have started it with ST-Picard IMO, since Picard flirted with it so many times with "Q" and the Borg. Even that first episode of STNG where Q introduced Picard to the Borg hinted at a premise. That is...the Borg could be the product entity of experimentation by VGER. ST Picard should have pursued that mystery IMO.
locomo likes this.
post #1339 of 1660 Old 03-05-2020, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 160
I haven't seen . Nepenthe yet but I am getting the impression I will not be getting the disc of this. I DO have Blus of Seasons 1 AND 2 of Discovery
post #1340 of 1660 Old 03-05-2020, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitchatjf View Post
I haven't seen . Nepenthe yet but I am getting the impression I will not be getting the disc of this. I DO have Blus of Seasons 1 AND 2 of Discovery
I think your comment is an example of what a great mix of writers exist on this thread. Nepenthe is the episode for which I have been waiting. I was on the verge of tears during most of the episode. Finally some humanity, some caring, a young optimistic girl who may grow up in Star Trek. They even threw in a wood fired pizza oven. This episode, for me, was as good as Star Trek gets. It is what keeps me hanging around.
Josh Z, shivaji, sdrucker and 2 others like this.

post #1341 of 1660 Old 03-05-2020, 10:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked: 1325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanlee View Post
I think your comment is an example of what a great mix of writers exist on this thread. Nepenthe is the episode for which I have been waiting. I was on the verge of tears during most of the episode. Finally some humanity, some caring, a young optimistic girl who may grow up in Star Trek. They even threw in a wood fired pizza oven. This episode, for me, was as good as Star Trek gets. It is what keeps me hanging around.
Same here. It was a fantastic episode. The Ready Room after show was just great as well.
Alanlee likes this.
post #1342 of 1660 Old 03-06-2020, 07:08 AM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 7011 Post(s)
Liked: 7100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanlee View Post

I would agree that this episode was very good. We especially saw Picard getting “checked” for some of his current and past actions by folks he respects. Was good to see some of the issues folks had in regards to Picard himself be brought up.
aaronwt and Alanlee like this.
post #1343 of 1660 Old 03-06-2020, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1368 Post(s)
Liked: 1409
Agreed, Great writing and camera work on this latest episode, capturing the display of mature humans interacting, with the warmth and emotion of a shared history, coming through the screen. Plus a beautiful setting and the joy of a shared meal, made with ones own hands.
Spoiler!
post #1344 of 1660 Old 03-06-2020, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2719 Post(s)
Liked: 3157
Still loving the show, yes there are issues but I'm fully in. However, the swearing is a little jarring, not that I am opposed. I was a builder and spent 2 years in the Canadian Armed Forces I can curse with best of them. I just don't think it belongs,doesn't fit.
audiofan1 and Alanlee like this.

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Modded Little Dot hybrid tube amp with Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tubes, Dual Discrete Op-Amp SS3602, and Alps Blue Velvet volume pot.

Watching in a room ensconced in velvet.

Last edited by cardoski; 03-06-2020 at 08:26 AM.
post #1345 of 1660 Old 03-06-2020, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
Still loving the show, yes there are issues but I'm fully in. However, the swearing is a little jarring, not that I am opposed. I was a builder and spent 4 years in the Canadian Armed Forces I can curse with best of them. I just don't think it belongs,doesn't fit.

This IS supposed to be "Star Trek for adult audiences," but I have to agree that obscenities do not fit well into the Trek universe...it just seems more than a bit gratuitous, especially since most instances of it being uttered on both Discovery and Picard have been by female cast members. And after all, it's supposed to be taking place in the 24th Century...as someone pointed out on this board awhile back, language changes from era to era, and therefore so do what are considered to be obscenities. I'm not personally offended, but the writers on this show sometimes do appear to be full of frakin' felgercarb!
shivaji and cardoski like this.

Don't fear the Reaper. Fear the Repack!
post #1346 of 1660 Old 03-06-2020, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 7035 Post(s)
Liked: 8048
Another good episode, another hour of entertainment I consider well spent. I guess I'm just not enough of a Trekkie to know better.
aaronwt, Josh Z, audiofan1 and 4 others like this.
post #1347 of 1660 Old 03-06-2020, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked: 1325
The young actress who played the daughter was really outstanding. The kid has a future in the business if she wants it.
post #1348 of 1660 Old 03-06-2020, 10:12 AM

Riker's kid must be a Miyazaki fan.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	princess_mononoke.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	2694320  
aaronwt, SuperFist and audiofan1 like this.

Josh Z

post #1349 of 1660 Old 03-06-2020, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 7035 Post(s)
Liked: 8048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
The young actress who played the daughter was really outstanding. The kid has a future in the business if she wants it.
Yeah, I thought she was really good as well. Cute as a button too! Riker & Troy were pretty much exactly as I remembered them from TNG - good to see them again. Was a little disappointed in the death scene on board the Artifact. Liked seeing that character again and hoped he would stick around. But I guess his usefulness to the plotline had come to an end. Picard, I'm guessing, will not take it well.
Alanlee likes this.
post #1350 of 1660 Old 03-06-2020, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Lulu Wilson is a very talented young actress and was instrumental in the quality and success of movies like "Ouija: Origin of Evil" and "Annabelle: Creation." Riker and Troi were better here than they ever were in the show when their story was very soapy. Age and experience have served the actors and characters here and it was nice to see. But come on, did Troi really give birth to kids at 46 and 50 years old? Hollywood is into women having their own grand kids. Apparently, even far into the future, kids can't eat at the table without their damn phones! This episode also highlighted the problem with the rest of the show. Not only did I think a Seven of Nine spin off would be better than this show, I think a show about Riker and Troy raising their child with an android would also be far more interesting to see. While Data's journey was interesting with adults, I think a show about a young child and young android growing up together would be better still. I'm reminded of the show "Kyle XY." The better parts of that show involved the young people learning together. So far, everybody has made better use of their time than Picard. Oh, and how does a depressed junky like Raffi manage to keep highlights in her hair? It should be a frizzy rat's nest with white roots!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page