Forum Jump: 
 123Likes

post #121 of 175 Old 05-23-2019, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4482 Post(s)
Liked: 5878
It wouldn't let me. I contacted the mods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 175 Old 05-23-2019, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy77 View Post
Count me in!
post #123 of 175 Old 05-23-2019, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
Ok, I'll just say it.... PS is looking kinda old in that trailer....
I'm just guessing here, but I wouldn't be surprised if his advanced age was played up for the trailer.

Aging winery owner that finally got to retire and go home and live out his days doing what he loves. Until he got bored and realized what he really loves is strafing the galaxy. He knew it all along of course. Upon regaining his Starship duties, the old tired look washes right off. Yeah, he's old, but chicks still totally dig him and evil alien races wish he stayed retired. Engage!
archiguy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 175 Old 05-23-2019, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4120 Post(s)
Liked: 3671
the old guy, past his prime, hiding from his past, coming out of seclusion for 1 final adventure has been done a lot so hopefully Picard does something different...we already saw old man Logan and old man Bruce Wayne/Batman stories recently
Don S likes this.
post #125 of 175 Old 05-23-2019, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 363
IMHO it's kind of a real downer to think that Sir Patrick will be playing a disgraced, "broken" version of Picard in this series. As noted above by TitusTroy, we already did get his excellent "dying Professor X" character performance in Logan a few years ago, so he probably wants to do something a bit different from that. Wherever this new series goes with the Picard character, it's clearly not gonna be the comedy I thought it would be.

Guess Picard must have lost his Starfleet pension and is forced to eke out a living working all by himself in his family vineyards. Mon Dieu...Quelle Tragedie!

Hey CBSAA! how 'bout giving us something a bit lighter with Sir Pat, like this:

BTW, I noticed that Marina Sirtis is still referring to him as "Sir Old Baldy" in her interviews, so I guess she won't be getting a cameo on the new show.

Don't fear the Reaper. Fear the Repack!
post #126 of 175 Old 05-23-2019, 09:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 890
I wonder if the show is told in retrospect -- a really old Picard (as seen in the teaser) tells the story of the last days in Starfleet of a less-old Picard.
archiguy likes this.
post #127 of 175 Old 05-24-2019, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 1042
I can see it now. Picard, back on earth, running the winery with his pain in the ass brother, they continuously bicker about the state of their vines and the quality of the vintage. While Jean-Luc talks to an imaginary Data and dreams about past battles. Oh yeah, and Q shows up for a tasting, calling the wine, swill.
DrDon and Tack like this.
post #128 of 175 Old 05-24-2019, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
I can see it now. Picard, back on earth, running the winery with his pain in the ass brother, they continuously bicker about the state of their vines and the quality of the vintage. While Jean-Luc talks to an imaginary Data and dreams about past battles. Oh yeah, and Q shows up for a tasting, calling the wine, swill.

I'd watch it.
shivaji likes this.
post #129 of 175 Old 05-24-2019, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 5876 Post(s)
Liked: 6440
That actor who played Picard's brother in that earth-bound episode taking place at the family winery right after "that Borg business" happened and Picard was on medical leave, can't remember his name but both he and his "wife" were well known actors at the time. Are they still alive & available? 'Cause that'd be great if they could reprise their roles.
post #130 of 175 Old 05-24-2019, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
That actor who played Picard's brother in that earth-bound episode taking place at the family winery right after "that Borg business" happened and Picard was on medical leave, can't remember his name but both he and his "wife" were well known actors at the time. Are they still alive & available? 'Cause that'd be great if they could reprise their roles.
Jeremy Kemp played Robert Picard and Samantha Eggar played his wife, Marie. They are both still around.
archiguy and Tack like this.

Bobby 

post #131 of 175 Old 05-24-2019, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
Jeremy Kemp played Robert Picard and Samantha Eggar played his wife, Marie. They are both still around.
But those characters were killed off in the Star Trek: Generations movie...
post #132 of 175 Old 05-24-2019, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked: 483
So many other characters/actors from that era that deserve another shot, besides Patrick Stewart. The Next Gen era wasn't just about Picard, where's everyone else and why aren't they involved? I was excited when I first heard about it, but because of Kurtzman involvement and a solo Picard show, my excitement has soured a lot.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #133 of 175 Old 05-24-2019, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2517 Post(s)
Liked: 2265
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
Unfortunately, their child was killed off in a completely unnecessary story line from one of the STNG movies. At least I thought it was only the child ... could have misinterpreted it.

Samantha in "The Collector"

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 05-24-2019 at 01:03 PM.
post #134 of 175 Old 05-24-2019, 01:28 PM

Here's the scene from Star Trek Generations where Captain Picard tells Troi what happened to his family. Some years prior to this in a ST:TNG episode it's revealed that Robert is a "bloody-minded stubborn traditionalist." He rejects 24th Century building techniques and materials and builds his house without fire suppression systems on the Chateau Picard estate using a wood design that dates back several centuries:

In other words, Robert Picard was not the kind of guy that they'd want to have on the Notre Dame Cathedral Restoration Board in Paris.

I've gotta agree with the criticism about the way they killed off the Picard family. It was unexpected and jarring, and there was really no good reason for the writer to do it; sort of takes you out of the movie, because it follows a somewhat lighthearted scene.
Tack likes this.

post #135 of 175 Old 05-24-2019, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_the_xmtr_tech View Post
Here's the scene from Star Trek Generations where Captain Picard tells Troi what happened to his family. Some years prior to this in a ST:TNG episode it's revealed that Robert is a "bloody-minded stubborn traditionalist." He rejects 24th Century building techniques and materials and builds his house without fire suppression systems on the Chateau Picard estate using a wood design that dates back several centuries:

https://youtu.be/5H0ZI8dgJZY?t=6

In other words, Robert Picard was not the kind of guy that they'd want to have on the Notre Dame Cathedral Restoration Board in Paris.

I've gotta agree with the criticism about the way they killed off the Picard family. It was unexpected and jarring, and there was really no good reason for the writer to do it; sort of takes you out of the movie, because it follows a somewhat lighthearted scene.
The writer's room:

Writer 1: This movie is sooooo boring, we need to shake things up!
Writer 2: Yeah, we'll never get another job after this drek comes out!
Writer 1: #$%^&, we need SOMETHING!
Writer 3: Let's get Sir Patrick to EMOTE more! That will save our butts!
Writer 2: How?
<silence>
Writer 4: I know! Let's kill off Picard's family, leaving him completely alone in the universe! We'll have everybody in the audience crying and saying it was the most poignant moment in STNG history!
Writer 1: That's it!

The only cogent reason for this story line to have been developed is if they were planning on Picard having his own family. Kinda late for that, IMO, and let's face it, every show ever that introduced a baby was DOA within a year.
Tack and Al_the_xmtr_tech like this.

Last edited by RayGuy; 05-24-2019 at 03:02 PM.
post #136 of 175 Old 05-24-2019, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
I'm just guessing here, but I wouldn't be surprised if his advanced age was played up for the trailer.

Aging winery owner that finally got to retire and go home and live out his days doing what he loves. Until he got bored and realized what he really loves is strafing the galaxy. He knew it all along of course. Upon regaining his Starship duties, the old tired look washes right off. Yeah, he's old, but chicks still totally dig him and evil alien races wish he stayed retired. Engage!
Yeah - that is the Picard that I am looking forward to seeing.

I know I am ever the optimist about Star Trek plots, and I don’t think present day viewers would want what I am about to describe, because it would lack the body count, gruesome acts and pyrotechnics that characterize recent Star Trek movies and episodes.

Movies and episodes that I enjoy but am always hoping for something more in terms of social, political and behavioral relationships, and less in terms of death and destruction.

Picard is living comfortably selling wines that carry his family name (he does own a winery in France after all). He is a grape farmer and subject to the whims of nature, and the business of running a winery.

He is retired from Starfleet, but far from inactive. He has an active memory and frequently daydreams about the past. He has many present contacts with life forms from many planets. They ask his advice, and he occasionally is involved in adventures with those people. There will be suspense, intrigue, politics, culture, spy stuff and yes comedy.

From time to time people who have served under him visit his home. Some of them have problems which he helps them solve. He has physical ailments, which for the most part he overcomes.

I can think of at least ten episodes that would fit that synopsis, but I guess we have to leave it to the writers.

Oh wait absolutely - the chicks still love him.
Tack likes this.

7.4.6 system with Denon 8500, Additional Amps: Emotiva (front and center) and NAD (wide), classic Klipsch speakers.
post #137 of 175 Old 05-24-2019, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Since most of the other shows (except the original of course) were named after the ship (or space station in the case of DS9) where the show takes place BUT was actually about the characters... since this one is titled "Picard" it should actually be about the space ship!
dtv757 likes this.
post #138 of 175 Old 05-24-2019, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
Since most of the other shows (except the original of course) were named after the ship (or space station in the case of DS9) where the show takes place BUT was actually about the characters... since this one is titled "Picard" it should actually be about the space ship!
LOL. Perhaps the closest thing that comes to that that quickly comes to mind would be Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda, where the ship/AI/avatar actually played an active role as a crew member (too bad Andromeda wasn't better, I think it should be remade, I loved the concept).

Cheers,

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)

Last edited by dnoonie; 05-24-2019 at 08:42 PM.
post #139 of 175 Old 05-25-2019, 04:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
Very good catch , this is probally the 1st series named after a character ...

I would guess it takes place around "all good things " episode or on earth ... one can only guess ...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

MY COMMENTS ARE MY OWN PERSONAL OPINIONS AND IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM REPRESENT
Bell Atlantic or its Subsidiaries
post #140 of 175 Old 05-25-2019, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4448 Post(s)
Liked: 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoonie View Post
LOL. Perhaps the closest thing that comes to that that quickly comes to mind would be Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda, where the ship/AI/avatar actually played an active role as a crew member (too bad Andromeda wasn't better, I think it should be remade, I loved the concept).

Cheers,
Seasons 1 and 2 were awesome. It went downhill in season 3 on when they brought in Bob Engels instead of Robert Hewitt Wolfe. The show took a more episodal direction at this point because ti was syndicated and they didnt feel that average folks could tune in often enough to follow a coherent season long story. It was a huge shame. And if you ever read Robert Hewitt Wolfe's ideas on what he had planned beyond season 2, you'd see what a disappointment the actual show was. I've rewatched seasons 1 & 2 several times. I usually end it there.
allargon and dnoonie like this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #141 of 175 Old 05-25-2019, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 5876 Post(s)
Liked: 6440
Quote:

https://youtu.be/5H0ZI8dgJZY?t=6

So weird that 24th century France would not have building codes mandating fire prevention materials & systems. Robert wouldn't have been able to get away with that in America, lemmetellya'. Boy oh boy, do we have building codes! I can just imagine what they'll be like in another 300 years.

But it sounds like Marie made it through safely, right? So Samantha Eggar can do a cameo. As for Jean Luc's lack of nephews/nieces, they can always introduce a bastard son and/or daughter that Robert kept hidden from Marie in a secret second life! Hey, if all them bastard storylines are good enough for GoT, it's good enough for Star Trek!
Zookster likes this.
post #142 of 175 Old 05-25-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
So weird that 24th century France would not have building codes mandating fire prevention materials & systems. Robert wouldn't have been able to get away with that in America, lemmetellya'. Boy oh boy, do we have building codes! I can just imagine what they'll be like in another 300 years.

But it sounds like Marie made it through safely, right? So Samantha Eggar can do a cameo. As for Jean Luc's lack of nephews/nieces, they can always introduce a bastard son and/or daughter that Robert kept hidden from Marie in a secret second life! Hey, if all them bastard storylines are good enough for GoT, it's good enough for Star Trek!
LOL! They even gave us that Romulan Picard "clone" in Star Trek Nemesis, so anything's possible!

Robert and Jean-Luc on the grounds of the Picard estate in 24th century France, in one of the best character development scenes of the series:

I'm guessing the production company used a 20th century Napa Valley winery as the location for 24th century France. Looks like they had a lot of fun filming that scene!

Last edited by Al_the_xmtr_tech; 05-25-2019 at 09:20 AM.
post #143 of 175 Old 05-25-2019, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
LOL! They even gave us that Romulan Picard "clone" in Star Trek Nemesis, so anything's possible!

Robert and Jean-Luc on the grounds of the Picard estate in 24th century France, in one of the best character development scenes of the series:

https://youtu.be/N3YnqKodVHk

I'm guessing the production company used a 20th century Napa Valley winery as the location for 24th century France. Looks like they had a lot of fun filming that scene!
Probably Santa Barbara, lots closer to LA!

post #144 of 175 Old 05-25-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RayGuy View Post
Yeah, on second thought, probably so! On a series episode budget, they likely wouldn't have gone all the way up to California Wine Country to do just that one scene! I'm sure viewers in France could spot the difference right away. Makes me wonder now if Paramount will go back to use that same location again on Star Trek Picard!

post #145 of 175 Old 05-25-2019, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Probably Agua Dulce. That would be the closest. I'm curious now.
post #146 of 175 Old 05-25-2019, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Wiki.

"The scenes with the Picard family were shot on-location with the house shot at a private home in Encino, Los Angeles, and the vineyard filmed at a dryland farming site in Lancaster, California, near Edwards Air Force Base."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family...ext_Generation)
post #147 of 175 Old 05-26-2019, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Wiki.

"The scenes with the Picard family were shot on-location with the house shot at a private home in Encino, Los Angeles, and the vineyard filmed at a dryland farming site in Lancaster, California, near Edwards Air Force Base."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family...ext_Generation)
Odd that they were trellised for wine, but that area must be devoted to edible grapes and raisins ... given the climate.

post #148 of 175 Old 05-26-2019, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Odd that they were trellised for wine, but that area must be devoted to edible grapes and raisins ... given the climate.
I don't know, that's about 45 mins from me and this V is about ten minutes from me. They seem to get it done.

http://visitsantaclarita.com/dining/...-dulce-winery/
post #149 of 175 Old 05-26-2019, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't know, that's about 45 mins from me and this V is about ten minutes from me. They seem to get it done.

http://visitsantaclarita.com/dining/...-dulce-winery/
Interesting. They claim to have cool evening breezes. I did not expect that to be the case. The Chard, Merlot, and Cab entries are a bit of a surprise, but the Zin, Sangiovese, and Syrah are typical sun-loving varieties. The port is also to be expected, since overripe grapes are probably a common occurrence.

I take it you've visited and enjoyed their selections? I have visited a lot of the west coast wine regions, but never that area.

post #150 of 175 Old 05-27-2019, 12:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 426
This, https://www.popularmechanics.com/cul...r-trek-picard/, summaries most of what's already been posted here.

Cheers,

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page