1778Likes

post #1501 of 1610 Old 03-26-2020, 06:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
So you can buy the concept of synths that scan as completely human, eat, sleep dream, age, the whole concept of a transporter, a device that fixes anything using imagination, but you draw the line with a mind meld?
Yep.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
Tack, dougotte, Alanlee and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 1610 Old 03-26-2020, 08:09 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 9820 Post(s)
Liked: 6490
Overall I enjoyed the season. I watched the finale this morning. Since I woke up two hours early and couldn't get back to sleep. So I watched it before going to work.

For me, it was very predictable. Everything I thought would happen did happen in the last episode.

But I still enjoyed it and am looking forward to another season of Picard.
DougDingle, Don S, Tack and 5 others like this.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1503 of 1610 Old 03-26-2020, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 750
Star Trek: Picard

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Overall I enjoyed the season. I watched the finale this morning. Since I woke up two hours early and couldn't get back to sleep. So I watched it before going to work.

For me, it was very predictable. Everything I thought would happen did happen in the last episode.

Somewhat agree with this. Predictable for sure. Neatly wrapped up (except for all of those Romulans), especially that super quick Starfleet reversal of their no AI rule.

I thought it was an ok finale, but I still mostly enjoyed the season. That said, I like Discovery more at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1504 of 1610 Old 03-26-2020, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 354
I enjoyed the season as I enjoy all Star Trek. It is hard to do in 10 episodes per season what was done in 20-24 in the past. Many programs I have been watching recently have had three elements among other things: a recovering alcoholic, a dead child and a lesbian couple. I welcome these additions to modern plots. It reflects the reality of modern living. Picard had two out of three of those elements, although there may have been a hint of something there towards the end. Hmmmm…..where is that going?

I miss the humor and philosophical discussions from the past. I guess that has to be limited to my friends and family: not Star Trek which is stuck in the hard reality of saving the universe and an occasional Easter Egg. It's just not funny.

I guess I should also say that I cried, sobbed, and was drained of emotion to see Data go one more time.
Tack likes this.

7.4.6.2 system with Denon 8500, Additional Amps: Emotiva (front and center), NAD (2nd set of surrounds), NAD (Top Middle, Top Surround), classic Klipsch speakers.

Last edited by Alanlee; 03-26-2020 at 05:24 PM.
post #1505 of 1610 Old 03-26-2020, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 698
IMHO, it wrapped up as a very enjoyable season finale, more for special effects than the plot, which seemed to me was likely required by CBSAA to feature a happy ending, considering their pre-approved renewal already given for a second season.

One of my fave lines of the whole Picard series was uttered by Agnes Jurati (seemingly as a homage to Geordi's technobabble on ST: TNG) just as the hundreds and hundreds of warships come out of warp above Coppelius with the situation looking grim she says: "...oh, if only we had some kind of wacky fundamental-field replicator with a neural photonic interface..."

And--surprise--Starfleet had a familiar Captain on standby, and activated him into their reserve officers corps, all rarin' and ready to fight the Romulans! Also, I though they were supposed to be "up against it," lacking a proper battle-ready armada of modern ships since the Martian shipyards were lost? Those latest Federation Starships looked pretty badass to me. Maybe they were keeping them secret from the Romulans all along, which would be a delicious "switch."

And speaking of "pretty" and "badass," bet you just KNEW what was going to happen between Narissa and Seven.

So, in addition to re-hashing the age-old Trekian examinations into "what does it really mean to be human," they now explore a new question, "what does it really mean to die?"
Tack, audiofan1 and cardoski like this.

Don't fear the Reaper. Fear the Repack!
post #1506 of 1610 Old 03-26-2020, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 6868 Post(s)
Liked: 6801
Enjoyed the finale, although they did wrap things up kind of quickly. I am looking forward to season 2 whenever it may come and hope for a solid through line story with a more week to week storyline (which is what I think Trek does well).
post #1507 of 1610 Old 03-26-2020, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 6245 Post(s)
Liked: 4348
Quote:

I was expecting
Spoiler!
SuperFist likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" ST130 G4 screen in batcave, htpc nvidia 1080ti madVR.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, Infinite Baffle Subs 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 2x12 fi audio mounted in main chair firing into back.
post #1508 of 1610 Old 03-26-2020, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked: 2766
Quote:

Ah! You just answered the question I was dropping by to ask. I'm thinking about taking up the free month offer, binging the series, and then canceling before my month is up and I was wondering how episodes were left.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #1509 of 1610 Old 03-27-2020, 06:00 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 6731 Post(s)
Liked: 7577
I agree with Don, pretty much everything happened the way I thought it would. A little disappointed with the macguffin gadget that was able to magically fix things and create massive holographic projections that stalled the Romulans. Didn't really see the necessity of it for the plotline unless it could do something more vital -- like fixing Picard's brain tumor (or whatever it was).

That last scene with Picard giving the "engage" command to his new crew on his new ship in Sir Patrick's most commanding Picardy voice was a little cringeworthy though. Also winced a little at Riker's smug & condescending tone with the Romulans. Doubtful Star Fleet would have put him back in command of a fleet of their newest & best ships, after being retired for awhile, rather than a younger commander who's already on active duty. But whatever; I know why they did it.

But all-in-all everything wrapped up nicely and gave us a happy ending & a second season, and I'm okay with that. I really like these characters; like re-visiting old friends. I watched both this one and the latest episode of 'Devs' back to back because I just can't get my fill of Alison Pill. Hardest workin' gal in show business.

So Picard is now a synthetic. Umm, okay. One thing I was wondering about... what happened to Narek? They showed the main characters being all happy-happy at the end but I don't remember him in that montage. Given as how he was a Romulan and so "close" with his sis, you'd think bitter revenge on Seven would now be all consuming to him. Apologies if I just missed it.
aaronwt, Josh Z, shivaji and 1 others like this.

Last edited by archiguy; 03-27-2020 at 06:10 AM.
post #1510 of 1610 Old 03-27-2020, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I wanted to like this show. I really did. I love TNG. But this show is just so terribly written and nonsensical that I don't think I'm gonna bother with season 2.

I wish we could get a Trek show that was smart and intelligent like TNG. Luckily Devs is scratching my itch for intelligent and well written sci fi at the moment.
thehun, Tack and Neil S. Bulk like this.

post #1511 of 1610 Old 03-27-2020, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1317 Post(s)
Liked: 1344
Did no one notice Rafie and 7 of 9 holding hands in the final scene? Here Picard,
Spoiler!
aaronwt, Tack and SuperFist like this.
post #1512 of 1610 Old 03-27-2020, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 6245 Post(s)
Liked: 4348
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I agree with Don, pretty much everything happened the way I thought it would. A little disappointed with the macguffin gadget that was able to magically fix things and create massive holographic projections that stalled the Romulans. Didn't really see the necessity of it for the plotline unless it could do something more vital -- like fixing Picard's brain tumor (or whatever it was).

That last scene with Picard giving the "engage" command to his new crew on his new ship in Sir Patrick's most commanding Picardy voice was a little cringeworthy though. Also winced a little at Riker's smug & condescending tone with the Romulans. Doubtful Star Fleet would have put him back in command of a fleet of their newest & best ships, after being retired for awhile, rather than a younger commander who's already on active duty. But whatever; I know why they did it.

But all-in-all everything wrapped up nicely and gave us a happy ending & a second season, and I'm okay with that. I really like these characters; like re-visiting old friends. I watched both this one and the latest episode of 'Devs' back to back because I just can't get my fill of Alison Pill. Hardest workin' gal in show business.
You should use spoiler tags...

Video: JVC RS4500 135" ST130 G4 screen in batcave, htpc nvidia 1080ti madVR.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, Infinite Baffle Subs 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 2x12 fi audio mounted in main chair firing into back.
post #1513 of 1610 Old 03-27-2020, 06:44 AM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 4994 Post(s)
Liked: 3986
I enjoyed the series as a whole, mostly because it's nice to be back in the company of the character, but I was very underwhelmed with the finale. The face-off with the Romulans was almost entirely dependent on dumb contrivances (the magic fix-all device) and convenient deus-ex-machinas (Riker showing up with the entirety of Starfleet in the nick of time).

I liked the epilogue with Data, which gave that character a much better death scene than Nemesis did, but don't like the idea of Picard being put into a synth body that is exactly identical to his human body, including being elderly and frail. What a dumb idea that is.
shivaji and Tack like this.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
post #1514 of 1610 Old 03-27-2020, 06:47 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 6731 Post(s)
Liked: 7577
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
You should use spoiler tags...
It's already aired, and the long-standing rules are anything that has already aired is fair game. If you haven't watched the episode yet, why are you reading the thread? I did wait until the next day. When is it "okay" to stop using spoiler tags? A day? Three days? A week? 3 weeks?
aaronwt, Don S, Ph8te and 3 others like this.
post #1515 of 1610 Old 03-27-2020, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 5022 Post(s)
Liked: 6841
Quote:
It's already aired, and the long-standing rules are anything that has already aired is fair game. If you haven't watched the episode yet, why are you reading the thread? I did wait until the next day. When is it "okay" to stop using spoiler tags? A day? Three days? A week? 3 weeks?
You're fine, don't worry about it.
archiguy, aaronwt, Don S and 2 others like this.
post #1516 of 1610 Old 03-27-2020, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 5022 Post(s)
Liked: 6841
Yeah I don't know what to think of this. Just not all that great. When they showed "OH", or however you spell her name, in her big scene I involuntarily rolled my eyes. Same with Wry Smile Riker. Not the worst series I've sat though, but not the best either.

I'm still not sure the Romulans weren't on the right path. Those synths go to the dark side pretty quickly.

And they really need to ditch the Sonic Screwdriver Imaginationland thingy.
archiguy, Don S and shivaji like this.
post #1517 of 1610 Old 03-27-2020, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2158 Post(s)
Liked: 2935
Star Trek: Picard - A Heritage & A Future

post #1518 of 1610 Old 03-27-2020, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1134
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
it was an OK finale for a rather weak season, won't be missing it.
Yeah I got three words for it: Total Fan Service.

If that toots your horn then great, but otherwise it was just meh. The Borg cube in particular was kinda wasted at the end.
Egan, Don S and shivaji like this.
post #1519 of 1610 Old 03-27-2020, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1777 Post(s)
Liked: 1453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I enjoyed the series as a whole, mostly because it's nice to be back in the company of the character, but I was very underwhelmed with the finale. The face-off with the Romulans was almost entirely dependent on dumb contrivances (the magic fix-all device) and convenient deus-ex-machinas (Riker showing up with the entirety of Starfleet in the nick of time).

I liked the epilogue with Data, which gave that character a much better death scene than Nemesis did, but don't like the idea of Picard being put into a synth body that is exactly identical to his human body, including being elderly and frail. What a dumb idea that is.
I thought that finale was predictable, but enjoyable since we do get the sense of new adventures coming up in Season 2 with this crew.

Glad to see Seven on La Sirena, but her character talking about putting a phaser to herself during her talk with Elnor and and going into depression just didn't make any sense based on her taking on a mission of pursuing justice. I get that she is mourning the loss of Hugh, but that seems out of character for what we know of her after Voyager.

As for her handholding with Raffi on the bridge, I just saw that played as reassuring friendship, nothing more, but that's just me.

One thing: the characters other than maybe Troi seem far too present day in their tastes and how they speak than they were on TNG, like the exact insults you'd use with Narek.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification
post #1520 of 1610 Old 03-27-2020, 07:37 AM

Another thing I really disliked was that the super-advanced sythethics from another galaxy turned out to be a stupid tentacle monster, and all Soji had to do to stop it was close the door.
locomo, shivaji and sdrucker like this.

Josh Z

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
post #1521 of 1610 Old 03-27-2020, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Quote:
One thing I was wondering about... what happened to Narek? They showed the main characters being all happy-happy at the end but I don't remember him in that montage. Given as how he was a Romulan and so "close" with his sis, you'd think bitter revenge on Seven would now be all consuming to him...
It's not made clear what happened to him...either he went off and is in hiding somewhere on the synth planet, or he returned to the Romulan Star Empire with the fleet. I suspect the writers left it that way on purpose, to give him a chance to continue as a baddie in season 2.

I saw a UK PremierScene interview with Harry Treadaway awhile back; he seems to be such a massive trekkie that he'd probably be willing to do any kind of character they want, so we may see him with pointed ears once again.
archiguy likes this.

Don't fear the Reaper. Fear the Repack!
post #1522 of 1610 Old 03-27-2020, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

I thought that finale was predictable, but enjoyable since we do get the sense of new adventures coming up in Season 2 with this crew.

Glad to see Seven on La Sirena, but her character talking about putting a phaser to herself during her talk with Elnor and and going into depression just didn't make any sense based on her taking on a mission of pursuing justice. I get that she is mourning the loss of Hugh, but that seems out of character for what we know of her after Voyager.

As for her handholding with Raffi on the bridge, I just saw that played as reassuring friendship, nothing more, but that's just me.

One thing: the characters other than maybe Troi seem far too present day in their tastes and how they speak than they were on TNG, like the exact insults you'd use with Narek.
thehun likes this.

Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
post #1523 of 1610 Old 03-27-2020, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1573 Post(s)
Liked: 6607
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
Nope... I was getting some Teddy P vibes from that scene!

aaronwt, shivaji and allargon like this.
post #1524 of 1610 Old 03-27-2020, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1314 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Mediocre. That about sums it up.

The finale was let's just say about the worst ending possible for such a hyped-up show, obviously not the worst but for this level of expectation, it was bad. So no Lore no Data really. And that transfer body plant in part 1, yep, predictable it was for Picard. Lame. No transfer body for Data? Lol. So they write that he's dying and he gets to live while Data must die, again. Which was so unnecessary. We already saw him die in Nemesis, fans wanted him to return not see him die again. They had a way to do that. But no.

Lore would have been the perfect mastermind behind it all. Instead, the Soong character was in fact just made up out of convenience like he was there all along. And the tentacles, I actually laughed when that happened. Yep, quick just close the hatch. And the Romulan commander when she keeps repeating, stand by to fire. Very cringe-worthy. Could have done that about 4 times already. And more Orchids which don't seem to do anything but make targets for the Romulan ships.

Finally we get to see some Federation ships. Uh, wait. They're just copy/pasted over and over, same with the Romulan ships. No close up panning shots revealing lots of detail. They couldn't be bothered.

So getting back to the Data scene. We actually see Data growing wrinkles and withering away, that was what they thought TNG fans wanted? To see him die in the flesh so to speak. And confusingly, Data told Picard he didn't want to die, he wanted to live but knowing there was no immortality or something along those lines. OK, perfect. We have a solution for you. Use the synth transfer body. Picard gets to live while Data does not. Why can't Picard just die then? He's lived a lot longer than Data.

Along the lines of convenient plot devices like the Soong character and the transfer body, that repair device with imagination, they've just gone way overboard here. And the synth mind meld, all to say that in Trek universe pretty much anything can happen, not to argue that any of these are not possible, but it's just overdone in the extreme. They've taken the hands on feeling out of Trek, the "science" and replaced it with "fantasy".

The show runners wanted this to be about Picard so it wasn't going to be a return to TNG in form or style. This was a big mistake. I'd say most TNG fans would rather have a bigger cast and a return to episodic format. These were long drawn out episodes with nothing ever much happening leading up to an uninspiring conclusion.

Nemesis, at the end of the movie, left us with hope and promise. It was very uplifting as Picard leaves his ready room or quarters and the music keys up the familiar melody. The B4 is remembering. There's potential there that Data might live on in the B4. And also Picard is eager to get on with the next assignment as Captain of the Enterprise.

And that seems to sum up what's missing with Picard. No Enterprise, no uniform, no Captain. All of that is in the past. Picard is somehow 94 years old now, i don't know how, why couldn't he just be 79 or whatever. So that's my review, just mediocre at best. But overall, a wasted opportunity. Rewatch value? Not sure. That's the problem with these long season long revealing story archs. Long-time Trek fans will probably agree, episodic stories have more rewatch value because there's more variation in each episode. I'd probably watch it at least once more. Now Discovery, I've seen once and I think that is enough. I'll probably never watch it again. I rank Picard above Discovery. But they're both at the bottom of my list.
thehun, shivaji and ToddUGA like this.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #1525 of 1610 Old 03-27-2020, 08:41 AM

The takeaway I'm getting from this show is that the skill-set for being a great novelist does not necessarily carry over to being a great TV writer.

Josh Z

post #1526 of 1610 Old 03-27-2020, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Thoughts & NitPicks:

I enjoyed, & look forward to another season.
* - Both my Wife & I felt, from the 1st episode, that the series intro, with a "tile" finishing Picard's face, was some sort of hint at things to come, weather it be Picard as a synth, Borg, or whatever ... Ending was predictable, but there was initially the possibility of Data returning as well or instaed of Picard ...

* - Both new Trek series, suffer just a bit, from an injection of a bit too much, almost silly, "fantasy" .. Orchids, fungus Spores, silly tentacle monsters, magic dream fixer tool, space tartigrade etc.. What's next, space Hamsters?
There seems to be a writer on both shows, with a bit too much My Little Pony tendencies, and/or not enough grasp of science / science fiction .. Fire the Brony ...

* - Did Riker already know that the High Level Star Fleet Vulcan admiral was really a Romulan? He pulls up, sees her in Romulan garb, commanding Romulans, & had no reaction..
locomo and shivaji like this.

Last edited by MeatChicken; 03-27-2020 at 09:12 AM.
post #1527 of 1610 Old 03-27-2020, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

The truth is that we're so starved for quality Star Trek that even a inconsistently written, but visually entertaining set of 10 episodes with familiar characters acting like they live in 2019 is worth watching. I'll certainly keep watching, but the Romulans of TNG could have wiped out this Federation and the synths without working up a sweat.

Actually my favorite characters were Hugh (great character development for him as a middle aged heroic figure) and the brother and sister Romulan anti-heros as a kind of amped up version of Magenta and Riff Raff from Rocky Horror on the sexuality front. And say what you will, but I thought Narek and Rios stole the scenes they were in.

post #1528 of 1610 Old 03-27-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post
* - Did Riker already know that the High Level Star Fleet Vulcan admiral was really a Romulan? He pulls up, sees her in Romulan garb, commanding Romulans, & had no reaction..
Very possible that her exit from Starfleet was conspicuous enough that someone investigated it.

Josh Z

post #1529 of 1610 Old 03-27-2020, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 1380 Post(s)
Liked: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post
weather it be Picard as a synth, Borg, or whatever
Stormy?
aaronwt likes this.

"VCR was in the closet. Still works. Can't get the clock to stop blinking, though."
Angela - Animal Kingdom - 7/16/19
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
post #1530 of 1610 Old 03-27-2020, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked: 1385
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Yeah I got three words for it: Total Fan Service.

If that toots your horn then great, but otherwise it was just meh. The Borg cube in particular was kinda wasted at the end.
Not really there were hordes of issues with the entire series including the finale, but what's the point for me drag them out, it's not like Michael Chabon will learn to write a decent Trek story.
shivaji likes this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

You want true diversity? Champion the diversity of thoughts!

The Hun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page