post #151 of 186 Old 05-27-2019, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4545 Post(s)
Liked: 5967
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Interesting. They claim to have cool evening breezes. I did not expect that to be the case. The Chard, Merlot, and Cab entries are a bit of a surprise, but the Zin, Sangiovese, and Syrah are typical sun-loving varieties. The port is also to be expected, since overripe grapes are probably a common occurrence.

I take it you've visited and enjoyed their selections? I have visited a lot of the west coast wine regions, but never that area.
No, not a wine guy. We definitely are on the hotter side comparatively, but there's a lot of nice mild weather too. Agua Dulce is also right next door to Vasquez Rocks, where a lot of ST episodes and hundreds of other movies were shot. Heh, I was just watching the "Gorn" episode last night.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasquez_Rocks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 186 Old 05-27-2019, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2596 Post(s)
Liked: 2350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
No, not a wine guy. We definitely are on the hotter side comparatively, but there's a lot of nice mild weather too. Agua Dulce is also right next door to Vasquez Rocks, where a lot of ST episodes and hundreds of other movies were shot. Heh, I was just watching the "Gorn" episode last night.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasquez_Rocks
Funny. I knew it was the rock formation in the Gorn episode, even though I have never heard of "Vasquez Rocks". Have seen that area in soooo many shows.
Tack likes this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #153 of 186 Old 05-27-2019, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 799
Quote:
Interesting. They claim to have cool evening breezes. I did not expect that to be the case. The Chard, Merlot, and Cab entries are a bit of a surprise, but the Zin, Sangiovese, and Syrah are typical sun-loving varieties. The port is also to be expected, since overripe grapes are probably a common occurrence.

I take it you've visited and enjoyed their selections? I have visited a lot of the west coast wine regions, but never that area.
That area is fairly similar to Sonoma Valley, an area that I live in. Sonoma County is definitely wine country.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 12.50.46 PM.png
Views:	11
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	2572370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 12.51.30 PM.png
Views:	9
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	2572372  

Bobby 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 186 Old 05-27-2019, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2596 Post(s)
Liked: 2350
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
That area is fairly similar to Sonoma Valley, an area that I live in. Sonoma County is definitely wine country.
Quite a bit hotter, actually. Still, you just make it work, wherever you are.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #155 of 186 Old 05-27-2019, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Quite a bit hotter, actually. Still, you just make it work, wherever you are.
I can't believe y'all are still talking about this. There are a lot of good wineries in Central and SoCal, particularly Paso Robles. We even have GREAT wineries here in Texas. Chile, Argentina, Australia, Lebanon, and South Africa also get quite hot. They produce great wines, too. This is a strange discussion.

Any start date for ST:P? I'm curious if I will wait until it ends to subscribe, then binge? Or will I subscribe as soon as it starts due to online spoilers?
post #156 of 186 Old 05-28-2019, 05:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post
I can't believe y'all are still talking about this. There are a lot of good wineries in Central and SoCal, particularly Paso Robles. We even have GREAT wineries here in Texas. Chile, Argentina, Australia, Lebanon, and South Africa also get quite hot. They produce great wines, too. This is a strange discussion.

Any start date for ST:P? I'm curious if I will wait until it ends to subscribe, then binge? Or will I subscribe as soon as it starts due to online spoilers?
The sources I read say the end of this year or early 2020 for the start date.

I don't think a discussion of wine is out of place if the track is Star Trek, so maybe they veered off track a bit. Good on you for bringing things back to Picard. Nevertheless the teaser had a bottle of Picard wine. Picard is French. Wine is a big deal in France, even though there are many other geographic areas that make wine.

Selling wine, distributing wine is a good front for traveling to different planets. It is also possible to put things in wine bottles that can be smuggling into places. Almost everything about Picard the program is speculation at this point.

It seems to be accurate to say that past episodes of Star Trek having to do with wine were filmed in Ca. Maybe that will be the case in the future. Who knows? Although I live in Northern California and would prefer them to film wine scenes somewhere around here, so that I could have a "Gorn" spot to visit, I think it would be more appropriate to film in France, but of course there will be budget considerations, and very little is what it seems in the film business.

I had every intention of binge watching Discovery and The Orville, but could not wait and viewed weekly.

7.4.6 system with Denon 8500, Additional Amps: Emotiva (front and center) and NAD (wide), classic Klipsch speakers.
post #157 of 186 Old 05-28-2019, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanlee View Post
The sources I read say the end of this year or early 2020 for the start date.

I don't think a discussion of wine is out of place if the track is Star Trek, so maybe they veered off track a bit. Good on you for bringing things back to Picard. Nevertheless, the teaser had a bottle of Picard wine. Picard is French. Wine is a big deal in France, even though there are many other geographic areas that make wine.

Selling wine, distributing wine is a good front for traveling to different planets. It is also possible to put things in wine bottles that can be smuggled into places. Almost everything about Picard the program is speculation at this point.

It seems to be accurate to say that past episodes of Star Trek having to do with wine were filmed in Ca. Maybe that will be the case in the future. Who knows? Although I live in Northern California and would prefer them to film wine scenes somewhere around here, so that I could have a "Gorn" spot to visit, I think it would be more appropriate to film in France, but of course there will be budget considerations, and very little is what it seems in the film business.

I had every intention of binge-watching Discovery and The Orville, but could not wait and viewed weekly.
This oenophile wasn't annoyed about y'all discussing wine. I was perplexed that anyone thought that SoCal was too hot to grow wine when there are LOTS of hotter places on the planet producing great wine.
bobby94928, shivaji and Alanlee like this.
post #158 of 186 Old 05-29-2019, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
This oenophile wasn't annoyed about y'all discussing wine. I was perplexed that anyone thought that SoCal was too hot to grow wine when there are LOTS of hotter places on the planet producing great wine.
You sent me scrambling to the dictionary on that one. I'm a Carlo Rossi Paisano buy it by the gallon guy. Discovery runs roughly from September to February. So what do you think Picard start February or March and runs to April or May? CBS must have plenty of subscribers who only sign on for Star Trek, so it would not be good marketing to have those programs running concurrently.

7.4.6 system with Denon 8500, Additional Amps: Emotiva (front and center) and NAD (wide), classic Klipsch speakers.
post #159 of 186 Old 05-29-2019, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanlee View Post
Discovery runs roughly from September to February. So what do you think Picard start February or March and runs to April or May? CBS must have plenty of subscribers who only sign on for Star Trek, so it would not be good marketing to have those programs running concurrently.
They got a taste for breadcrumbing with those Star Trek: Shorts last year. They're going to figure out how to milk subscriptions year round with multiple Trek shows. They've already stated such.
Alanlee likes this.
post #160 of 186 Old 05-30-2019, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Sir Patrick and his location in the continuum of IBWM's (imposing bald white males):

rcman2 and Tack like this.

Don't fear the Reaper. Fear the Repack!
post #161 of 186 Old 05-30-2019, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked: 486
Rumors are Brent Spiner will guest star on Star Trek: Picard. Hoping they finally resolve the whole Data/B4 thing.
Alanlee likes this.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #162 of 186 Old 05-30-2019, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 910
That would be cool, especially if they lean into the science-fictional aspect of Data not visibly aging, by using anti-aging image processing on Spiner. It would really fit into the "old Picard" theme for him to encounter an apparently unchanged shipmate from the Enterprise.
post #163 of 186 Old 05-30-2019, 09:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked: 486
In All Good Things Data changed his appearance to become older to fit in with the rest of the crew, it would likely be a similar situation since time really has moved forward. They can do a lot digitally though if they needed to make him appear like his younger self. Hard to believe Brent Spiner is 70.
shivaji likes this.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #164 of 186 Old 05-31-2019, 01:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
In All Good Things Data changed his appearance to become older to fit in with the rest of the crew, it would likely be a similar situation since time really has moved forward. They can do a lot digitally though if they needed to make him appear like his younger self. Hard to believe Brent Spiner is 70.
Sure; I'm just thinking about interesting potential issues for the show to address. For example, Discovery has introduced the existence of cybernetic enhancement in more widespread use than in earlier Trek shows (despite Geordie's visor). So a forever-young Data could raise some core issues for the Borg-haunted aging Picard if offered life extension through technology. I'm assuming that Picard's advanced age will be a central theme of the new show, and I sort of have a burning interest in seeing how one of my all-time favorite characters deals with it. To me, that would be the compelling reason for bringing back other legacy characters.
post #165 of 186 Old 05-31-2019, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 826
Linda Hamilton was in a couple of SyFy series and she really looked older than her age. But that’s the burden for actresses have that actors don’t have to deal with. PS looks old, but he’s allowed since he’s 78. LH looks old, she really let herself go.

Then they have to decide if they go the plastic surgery route: natural is bad but pumped up means vain and artificial.
rcman2 likes this.
post #166 of 186 Old 06-01-2019, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Linda Hamilton is still suffering the aftershocks from being with James Cameron.
rcman2 and RayGuy like this.
post #167 of 186 Old 06-04-2019, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

What Happened to DS9?

Quote:

Hmmmm!

https://screenrant.com/star-trek-pic...-9-connection/

post #168 of 186 Old 06-06-2019, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 1075
post #169 of 186 Old 06-16-2019, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Red face

Are We There Yet?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	there are 4 lights.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	2580768  
Tack and Al_the_xmtr_tech like this.

post #170 of 186 Old 06-17-2019, 08:44 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
Yup- lots of tough real-deal Mofo's in acting/Hollywood in that era-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Stewart
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_...litary_service

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Lee
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ...cond_World_War

many others.

Unlike the overpaid, whiny faux "heroes" worshipped today- pro sports players, politicians who actively avoided service and/or service in combat areas, holier than thou Hollywood actors of today.

Also explains the authenticity and gravitas Scotty/Doohan displayed in TOS and films (and other actors/writers/directors of the era) , which bled over to the direction, writing and other actors.

You gotta be shot at/hit/injured/killed combatants to be that authentic

Last edited by Rgb; 06-17-2019 at 09:00 AM.
post #171 of 186 Old 06-17-2019, 04:55 PM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 642
Quote:
Correct- easy enough to assume that Dr Soong built "aging" capabilities into his outer skin so he could live alongside humans without alienating others.

Similar issue for Flint (Requiem for Methuseleh) as FLint mentions he moved on when those he lived around for decades might suspect something as they aged and he didn't.

So rather than moving on, just build in "reversible" aging funtions into the dermal layers of Datas skin- ie. Data could enable the normal aging routines and they proceed without him "thinking" about it, but he could reverse it at a later time if desired.
post #172 of 186 Old 06-17-2019, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
But "Data" was already destroyed in the Star Trek: Nemesis movie....
Zookster likes this.
post #173 of 186 Old 06-18-2019, 05:33 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 5927 Post(s)
Liked: 6516
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriscoCountyJr View Post
I'm just impressed that somebody actually remembered anything that happened in ST: Nemesis.
DAB and Tack like this.
post #174 of 186 Old 06-18-2019, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I'm just impressed that somebody actually remembered anything that happened in ST: Nemesis.
https://deadline.com/2019/06/star-tr...st-1202634037/

post #175 of 186 Old 06-18-2019, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1809 Post(s)
Liked: 1135
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriscoCountyJr View Post
Well they transferred his knowledge into "B4". And it's not implausible that Geordi would work to get Data fully restored in the B4 Android.

As far as aging, Spiner could wear a motion capture suit on set and then the character would be CGI generated. It's one case where if it looks a little inhuman, it's fine. Spiner would probably love to act with his former colleagues without all that makeup.
Rgb and archiguy like this.

post #176 of 186 Old 06-20-2019, 05:31 PM

Something about which Wil Wheaton just cannot shut up...

shivaji, Aleron Ives and Alanlee like this.

post #177 of 186 Old 06-26-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Actually, most of the guys in the audience at the Nemesis premiere could only remember the dress that Marina wore to the event:

Rgb, archiguy, JoeTiVo and 5 others like this.

post #178 of 186 Old 06-27-2019, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked: 2192
‘Star Trek: Picard’: Michael Chabon Named Showrunner Of CBS All Access Series

https://deadline.com/2019/06/michael...es-1202638580/

post #179 of 186 Old 07-11-2019, 04:20 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked: 2192
Star Trek: Picard reveals new poster, Starfleet space dog

Star Trek: Picard has revealed a new teaser poster for the return of Patrick Stewart to the Trek universe.

The bad news is the show is still pretending as if Jean-Luc is going to spend the entire series retired in his family’s French vineyard.

The good news is the poster introduces an intriguing new character: A dog with a Starfleet insignia tag on his collar. (picture not working on this computer, check it out in the link below)

While Picard seems to be looking to his field, his mutt gazes upward, seeming to long to go for a walk — to the stars! We can only hope for a space dog in this CBS All Access show.

Or perhaps what forces the legendary former Starfleet admiral out of his serene retirement is something bad happening to the dog? Like a United Federation of Planets version of John Wick? (Er, Jean-Luc Wick?)

https://ew.com/tv/2019/07/10/star-trek-picard-poster/

Last edited by WilliamR; 07-11-2019 at 04:24 AM.
post #180 of 186 Old 07-11-2019, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4545 Post(s)
Liked: 5967
Here you go.

archiguy, WilliamR and yobbo like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version