Forum Jump: 
 465Likes

post #211 of 572 Old 07-20-2019, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6204 Post(s)
Liked: 6885
Let's not forget as well that CBS already has an exclusive premium channel that costs around $15/month. Showtime. That's where ST-D should have gone, IMO. But they wanted to establish yet another revenue stream and streaming is the future, apparently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 572 Old 07-20-2019, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
I don't have a problem in theory with what CBS is doing, my only concern is the potential to set a bad precedent for the future...if every broadcast/cable network starts putting all their best shows behind a paywall, forcing customers to pay a-la-carte for every channel they want to watch...AMC already has a premium app which gets you early access and exclusive content...I don't want this to catch on and become a new trend
I hear you. I speculate that, like so many such things, there will be a period of expansion that reaches market saturation, followed by consolidation.

Meanwhile, as long as we can buy months of service a la carte, we can be masters of our own viewing fate. Twelve different services, each subscribed to for a month, could end up costing roughly the same as a year of Netflix and still allow watching complete seasons of each service's best shows. It requires more planning and proactivity, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's just a different model from the one where you have a single provider for everything.

Personally, as a viewer actively hostile to reality shows and indifferent to most sports, I find I increasingly don't care about broadcast TV anyway, and not being subject to their need to fill the air 365 days creates a different perspective. If I can wait for a series to finish a season I can watch it on Hulu or CBSAA or Netflix or somewhere. That makes the Discovery/Picard model forward-looking, rather than greedy. If 99% of broadcast TV is crap, filled with commercials and with a third of the screen covered by ads, why should it bother me that the shows I do like are not on it?
Holmes108 and Plager8 like this.
post #213 of 572 Old 07-20-2019, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 4947 Post(s)
Liked: 4450
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Let's not forget as well that CBS already has an exclusive premium channel that costs around $15/month. Showtime. That's where ST-D should have gone, IMO. But they wanted to establish yet another revenue stream and streaming is the future, apparently.
these shows absolutely should have gone to Showtime...but I'm guessing the CBS executives figured that the $15 price tag was a bit too much so they decided to create a cheaper alternative...Discovery and Picard would have been great on premium cable...oh well, I guess we have to wait for Quentin Tarantino's potential Star Trek movie to see an R rated version of Trek

https://www.esquire.com/entertainmen...-pulp-fiction/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 572 Old 07-20-2019, 11:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Really glad they gave us this trailer. So Data, I had a feeling, well it's probably not Data yet would be my guess, probably still more B4 for now. A little makeup can go a long way. It feels like the Trek Golden years all over again. Now there's some big questions still like is the alternative timeline? No Romulus or Vulcan?

I pretty much ignore those 3 movies with the alternate history. But I don't see how it can be ignored either since the new timeline replaces the old. I think they should resolve that by saving Romulus. Could be the reason Picard left was the destruction of Romulus. Maybe a time travel at some point to save Romulus and fix the timeline, and Star Trek, lol.
phildaant and dnoonie like this.

This line intentionally left blank.

Last edited by tomtastic; 07-20-2019 at 11:48 PM.
post #215 of 572 Old 07-21-2019, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
these shows absolutely should have gone to Showtime...but I'm guessing the CBS executives figured that the $15 price tag was a bit too much so they decided to create a cheaper alternative...Discovery and Picard would have been great on premium cable...oh well, I guess we have to wait for Quentin Tarantino's potential Star Trek movie to see an R rated version of Trek

https://www.esquire.com/entertainmen...-pulp-fiction/
I guess you haven't watched The Good Fight on CBS All Access.
post #216 of 572 Old 07-21-2019, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Very cool to see 7 of 9, and others from TNG

Still not happy with having to pay separate for CBS AA

Hopefully with the new D* /CBS agreement it will include access to AA

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
phildaant likes this.

MY COMMENTS ARE MY OWN PERSONAL OPINIONS AND IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM REPRESENT
Bell Atlantic or its Subsidiaries
post #217 of 572 Old 07-21-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
Really glad they gave us this trailer. So Data, I had a feeling, well it's probably not Data yet would be my guess, probably still more B4 for now...
it's been confirmed that Spiner will reprise his TNG role as android Data and not Data’s android brother B-4

so who's the mystery girl that Picard is protecting?...Borg Queen?...I love the line in the trailer 'be the captain they remember'
phildaant likes this.
post #218 of 572 Old 07-21-2019, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plager8 View Post
I guess you haven't watched The Good Fight on CBS All Access.
Or Strange Angel (which would play after I dozed off while watching Discovery).
post #219 of 572 Old 07-22-2019, 10:12 AM
buz

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
so who's the mystery girl that Picard is protecting?...Borg Queen?...I love the line in the trailer 'be the captain they remember'
It didn't look like there were any cyber implants in her. My bet is that Data had created another positronic brain child like Lal in TNG and that information somehow eventually leaked out. And the Borg are after her because they want her in the collective. In TNG, Picard had to go to bat to keep Lal out of the hands of Starfleet. The clip starts out with a female voice asking if you've ever felt like you were a stranger to yourself. I could forsee that a new android created by Data wasn't told what she was, but she exhibiting those sentiments. Also this also ties into having to get Data back into working order to fill in details. Also the like "Be the captain they remember" may harken back to when Picard protected Data and Lal from the clutches of Starfleet. Now he is needed to do the same for the new android from the Borg.

I am not connected to the show, this is all my guess.

Buz
archiguy, Tack, phildaant and 1 others like this.
post #220 of 572 Old 07-22-2019, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked: 1198
Picard's looking a little aged right now. Perhaps, he will get a nice android body as the show progresses.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	giphy.gif
Views:	11
Size:	278.7 KB
ID:	2593438  
Don S, phildaant and seggers like this.
post #221 of 572 Old 07-22-2019, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4365 Post(s)
Liked: 3318
Quote:
Originally Posted by buz View Post
The clip starts out with a female voice asking if you've ever felt like you were a stranger to yourself. I could forsee that a new android created by Data wasn't told what she was, but she exhibiting those sentiments.
This theory sounds far too much like Westworld. I hope it's not exactly that.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #222 of 572 Old 07-22-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buz View Post
It didn't look like there were any cyber implants in her. My bet is that Data had created another positronic brain child like Lal in TNG and that information somehow eventually leaked out. And the Borg are after her because they want her in the collective. In TNG, Picard had to go to bat to keep Lal out of the hands of Starfleet. The clip starts out with a female voice asking if you've ever felt like you were a stranger to yourself. I could forsee that a new android created by Data wasn't told what she was, but she exhibiting those sentiments. Also this also ties into having to get Data back into working order to fill in details. Also the like "Be the captain they remember" may harken back to when Picard protected Data and Lal from the clutches of Starfleet. Now he is needed to do the same for the new android from the Borg...
I think it's going to be something like that...in First Contact the Borg tried to make Data more human...so they've been trying to make the perfect Borg which is indistinguishable from a human (Humanoid Cylons)...I think that's why the mystery girl is so important in the new Picard show
post #223 of 572 Old 07-22-2019, 12:11 PM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 902
DOn't know if someone mentioned it already, but if they include the destruction of Romulus (2387) and Spock/Nero going back to 2233 ("Kelvin TImeline")
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeli...k#24th_century

and STP takes place ~2400, then to Picard and everyone else in STP, history was changed since before he was born. This should be a different Picard/Data/etc than we knew in TNG and films, similar to the changed Enterprise and crew in Yesterday's Enterprise (until history was changed back to what the TNG crew "knew")

Unless Guinan or some other timeline-sensitive being (Guardian of Forever, Q) is aware of the change to their past before they existed, then this show will simply be the Kelvin timeline in ~2400, i.e. Picard was born with Vulcan destroyed already, long before he was born vs having Vulcan, Sarek, et al there as in TNG we knew.

So, either this Data is there because of this change (ie NEmesis never happened), or they revive Data from the parts per shown in the Preview, though could be different events vs Nemesis.

COuld be avoided if they include the destruction of Romulus in 2387, but Nero is prevented from going back in time (Spock wouldn't matter either way, as he would not change things). But it sounds like Vulcan was destroyed in STP, so there's a lot of confusing issues...

Last edited by Rgb; 07-22-2019 at 12:50 PM.
post #224 of 572 Old 07-22-2019, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked: 1486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post
DOn't know if someone mentioned it already, but if they include the destruction of Romulus (2387) and Spock/Nero going back to 2233 ("Kelvin TImeline")

and STP takes place ~2400, then to Picard and everyone else in STP, history was changed since before he was born. This should be a different Picard/Data/etc than we knew in TNG and films, similar to the changed Enterprise and crew in Yesterday's Enterprise (until history was changed back to what the TNG crew "knew")

Unless Guinan or some other timeline-sensitive being (Guardian of Forever, Q) is aware of the change to their past before they existed, then this show will simply be the Kelvin timeline in ~2400, i.e. Picard was born with Vulcan destroyed already, long before he was born vs having Vulcan, Sarek, et al there as in TNG we knew.

So, either this Data is there because of this change (ie NEmesis never happened), or they revive Data from the parts per shown in the Preview, though could be different events vs Nemesis.

COuld be avoided if they include the destruction of Romulus in 2387, but Nero is prevented from going back in time (Spock wouldn't matter either way, as he would not change things). But it sounds like Vulcan was destroyed in STP, so there's a lot of confusing issues...
Didn't they say the Kelvin timeline was a splinter timeline and the prime timeline continued on as is post Romulus destruction? That way they could play in the Kelvin timeline without impacting the prime timeline.

Those parts could be B4 and not Data. Although Data can be revived using B4 as all of his memory was copied to it. It will be interesting to see the how of Data's resurrection.
BGLeduc likes this.

post #225 of 572 Old 07-22-2019, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2661 Post(s)
Liked: 2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
Didn't they say the Kelvin timeline was a splinter timeline and the prime timeline continued on as is post Romulus destruction? That way they could play in the Kelvin timeline without impacting the prime timeline.
I am in no way shape or form a Trek scholar, but I hope that is the case. For me, the worse thing about the Kelvin time line is new Spock interacting with Spock prime. I hope Picard does not deal with any of that sort of nonsense.
TitusTroy likes this.
post #226 of 572 Old 07-22-2019, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
I hear you. I speculate that, like so many such things, there will be a period of expansion that reaches market saturation, followed by consolidation.

Meanwhile, as long as we can buy months of service a la carte, we can be masters of our own viewing fate. Twelve different services, each subscribed to for a month, could end up costing roughly the same as a year of Netflix and still allow watching complete seasons of each service's best shows. It requires more planning and proactivity, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's just a different model from the one where you have a single provider for everything.

Personally, as a viewer actively hostile to reality shows and indifferent to most sports, I find I increasingly don't care about broadcast TV anyway, and not being subject to their need to fill the air 365 days creates a different perspective. If I can wait for a series to finish a season I can watch it on Hulu or CBSAA or Netflix or somewhere. That makes the Discovery/Picard model forward-looking, rather than greedy. If 99% of broadcast TV is crap, filled with commercials and with a third of the screen covered by ads, why should it bother me that the shows I do like are not on it?
This is no different from pay per channel cable tv. Which is a model in many countries but of course not in the US where FCC exists to serve corporations and they have monopolies allowing them to ripoff consumers. In Asia you can pick the channels you want for pennis/channel and if you add a bunch you get a discount too. You don't have to pick Comcasts extra/preferred/plus nonsense which has 5channels you want and 100 nonsense ones.

Getting users to accept paying for multiple streaming services, like you are happy to do, is exactly what these companies want. Most users are not going to cancel their subscriptions or juggle them. Imagine if tomorrow Netflix was split into drama/scifi/talk show/originals/romance/action tiers, you pay $5 for each. I bet you'd be happy with that and tell people its better for them since they can pick and choose.
phildaant likes this.
post #227 of 572 Old 07-22-2019, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
I am in no way shape or form a Trek scholar, but I hope that is the case. For me, the worse thing about the Kelvin time line is new Spock interacting with Spock prime. I hope Picard does not deal with any of that sort of nonsense.
Well I'm operating off of memory from when Trek '09 was introduced, but I'm pretty sure they established the separation of the timelines to keep fans from getting out the torches and storming the offices.

If that is the case, we're very much looking at a post-Nemesis TNG world. Which I'm all in for. I'm hoping the next step is an Enterprise 1701-F to push us further forward.
BGLeduc likes this.

post #228 of 572 Old 07-22-2019, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4365 Post(s)
Liked: 3318
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
Well I'm operating off of memory from when Trek '09 was introduced, but I'm pretty sure they established the separation of the timelines to keep fans from getting out the torches and storming the offices.
I thought the 2009 Star Trek movie made it clear that it was establishing a separate timeline. The two exist simultaneously. One does not overwrite the other.
BGLeduc and Ovation like this.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #229 of 572 Old 07-22-2019, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 670
I think I am in the minority here, but I am underwhelmed with this. I have no desire to see any more of Troy. Picard looks too old for my tastes. I guess we will see what happens, but I feel like any action/fight sequences are either out or likely pretty unrealistic for him IMO. On it's own, I'd be really looking forward to it. But with Discovery out there and being really awesome, I feel like the comparisons between Discovery and Picard will make this one look somewhat wanting IMO. Of course, time will tell. That said, I am looking forward to Jeri Ryan in Trek again...
post #230 of 572 Old 07-22-2019, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
...I am looking forward to Jeri Ryan in Trek again...

So is virtually the entire male Trek audience demo! And to anyone out there who might complain that the only reason she was originally introduced into Star Trek: Voyager was to "save" the show from premature cancellation, I must remind them that:

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!
Don S likes this.

Don't fear the Reaper. Fear the Repack!
post #231 of 572 Old 07-22-2019, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
This is no different from pay per channel cable tv. Which is a model in many countries but of course not in the US where FCC exists to serve corporations and they have monopolies allowing them to ripoff consumers. In Asia you can pick the channels you want for pennis/channel and if you add a bunch you get a discount too. You don't have to pick Comcasts extra/preferred/plus nonsense which has 5channels you want and 100 nonsense ones.

Getting users to accept paying for multiple streaming services, like you are happy to do, is exactly what these companies want. Most users are not going to cancel their subscriptions or juggle them. Imagine if tomorrow Netflix was split into drama/scifi/talk show/originals/romance/action tiers, you pay $5 for each. I bet you'd be happy with that and tell people its better for them since they can pick and choose.
Most of us usually choose movies to see, books to read, games to play, and most other creative media of substance on a title-by-title basis. And we usually pay fr it that way as well.

Why is TV different? I suggest that it's because lifetimes of "free" broadcast TV have conditioned us to that perspective, and that's mostly all it is. This conditioning suggest to us that TV shows aren't worth paying for.

All I'm suggesting is that today it makes more sense to start by deciding specifically what series to watch, to wait until a unit (season or whatever) of that series is complete and available, and then buy it the same way you'd buy a book or a premium game or tickets to a movie. And that buying a month of the service that streams the show is a viable and inexpensive way to do that.

Should these services stop allowing ad hoc opt-in/opt-out, then obviously this strategy would require re-thinking. But revenue is better than no revenue, and there are large corporate forces, like Amazon with its Channels, with strong interest in supporting this model.

Of course they're counting on human inertia and forgetfulness, on people just not canceling when they're done. But the tools are there ( I just set a phone reminder when I subscribe to tell me its now time to cancel). If all this is too much work for somebody, I have no further advice. IMO, the hard part is changing how you think about it, not the actual management of one's viewing options.
post #232 of 572 Old 07-22-2019, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I thought the 2009 Star Trek movie made it clear that it was establishing a separate timeline. The two exist simultaneously. One does not overwrite the other.
Well it's been a while and I wasn't 100%. Thanks for the confirmation.
BGLeduc likes this.

post #233 of 572 Old 07-22-2019, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
I think I am in the minority here, but I am underwhelmed with this. I have no desire to see any more of Troy. Picard looks too old for my tastes. I guess we will see what happens, but I feel like any action/fight sequences are either out or likely pretty unrealistic for him IMO. On it's own, I'd be really looking forward to it. But with Discovery out there and being really awesome, I feel like the comparisons between Discovery and Picard will make this one look somewhat wanting IMO. Of course, time will tell. That said, I am looking forward to Jeri Ryan in Trek again...
I don't recall Picard do many "action/flight sequences in TNG, maybe a few in First Contact, so I am not worried
Don S, Josh Z and markmon1 like this.
post #234 of 572 Old 07-22-2019, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
I don't recall Picard do many "action/flight sequences in TNG, maybe a few in First Contact, so I am not worried
post #235 of 572 Old 07-22-2019, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
Really glad they gave us this trailer. So Data, I had a feeling, well it's probably not Data yet would be my guess, probably still more B4 for now. A little makeup can go a long way. It feels like the Trek Golden years all over again. Now there's some big questions still like is the alternative timeline? No Romulus or Vulcan?

I pretty much ignore those 3 movies with the alternate history. But I don't see how it can be ignored either since the new timeline replaces the old. I think they should resolve that by saving Romulus. Could be the reason Picard left was the destruction of Romulus. Maybe a time travel at some point to save Romulus and fix the timeline, and Star Trek, lol.
The "new timeline" in the Pine and Quinto movies did NOT replace the old. It exists "side by side", just like the mirror universe exists "side by side" with the original.

Quote:

In the period covered by the new Picard series, Vulcan DID NOT explode/get destroyed (that happens in the parallel universe of the recent movies--separate from the original) while Romulus DID get destroyed (it's what causes Nero and "old" Spock to end up in the parallel universe of the movies--I've left out specific details of how, but that's the result).

So, in the new Picard series, it is 20 years after the last TNG movie (Nemesis), and 12-13 years after the destruction of Romulus in the original universe. Clearly, from the several Romulans in the trailer, dealing with the fallout of the destruction of Romulus will be a key part of the story (though not necessarily the most important element).
post #236 of 572 Old 07-22-2019, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

JJ Trek is not canon IMO even though technically it is canon. Its a nonsensical mishmash garbage of a plot with time travel, warp transport across kight years and whatnot and basically anything is possible. The script was written to draw in new fans with zero attention span and zero Trek knowledge and makes no sense, and it only got worse with each movie.
post #237 of 572 Old 07-22-2019, 10:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

To me, and maybe this is what you were saying too, if Romulus is destroyed at this point in ST:P, then Vulcan would also be gone. You can't have one without the other, this is the problem with time travel, creating an endless paradox (and they should never have gone down this road to begin with). This means that everything that happens after ST 2009 timeline going forward is subject to change. So in TOS there's no Spock/Kirk fight to the death. Tuvok may not exist, Unification episode would not happen or be far different, etc. etc. And on the flip side of that, Nero from ST 2009 would never go back to destroy Vulcan if Spock didn't/wouldn't help save Romulus in the new timeline which he presumably couldn't if Vulcan is already destroyed. Since his only reason for destroying Vulcan is of vengeance for not saving Romulus. Might be easier to just ignore those 3 films like they never happened. Time travel is better when it's not as serious as this. It worked great in ST IV, it was light hearted, you didn't have to think too hard.

The biggest question I have is how are they dealing with the timeline, is it post Romulus/Vulcan destruction or just ignoring it? Really shouldn't be the most important question but it is because of that 2009 movie. And it seems they can break cannon whenever they want now. Like the new Klingon look vs the old. There were episodes that had established that Klingons had hair and had the forehead ridges which were lost at some point in ENT era because of Biogenetics. Well, in the new films, the Klingons no longer have hair and look drastically different for no apparent reason other than someone else is at the helm writing now. And even more oddly, Discovery has the new Klingon look, not the old, not that the timeline change would have anything to do with it but it's just that suddenly now the Klingons look like "this".

So there are Romulans in the trailer and maybe one Vulcan. The Romulans don't look quite like they did in the series and Nemesis but not nearly as drastic. Much less make up and less green or gray skin color. The ships look different as well, a little like a cross between the Vengeance Battleship and Winged Defender from Star Trek Legacy game.

Didn't see any Federation ships so can't comment on those yet. Really hoping they get the look down which would match up nearly 20 years from Nemesis but hard to say right now.

post #238 of 572 Old 07-22-2019, 10:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation View Post
The "new timeline" in the Pine and Quinto movies did NOT replace the old. It exists "side by side", just like the mirror universe exists "side by side" with the original.

In the period covered by the new Picard series, Vulcan DID NOT explode/get destroyed (that happens in the parallel universe of the recent movies--separate from the original) while Romulus DID get destroyed (it's what causes Nero and "old" Spock to end up in the parallel universe of the movies--I've left out specific details of how, but that's the result).

So, in the new Picard series, it is 20 years after the last TNG movie (Nemesis), and 12-13 years after the destruction of Romulus in the original universe. Clearly, from the several Romulans in the trailer, dealing with the fallout of the destruction of Romulus will be a key part of the story (though not necessarily the most important element).
Where are we getting a parallel universe from? They traveled back in time to the same universe, just back in time thus altering events. This means everything that happens after ST 2009 time is subject to change. Vulcan would then be destroyed and we are stuck in the new timeline with all events being different or altered. And this is how it is always handled in Star Trek as well. Think Year of Hell for example or First Contact. The Borg travel back and assimilate Earth, therefore there is no Federation in that "present". Now for some reason the ship and crew are preserved they explain it away by saying they're caught in the wake of their vortex trail or something, but clearly Earth is gone and that is very similar to ST 2009's destruction of Vulcan.

Last edited by tomtastic; 07-22-2019 at 10:21 PM.
post #239 of 572 Old 07-22-2019, 10:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
JJ Trek is not canon IMO even though technically it is canon. Its a nonsensical mishmash garbage of a plot with time travel, warp transport across kight years and whatnot and basically anything is possible. The script was written to draw in new fans with zero attention span and zero Trek knowledge and makes no sense, and it only got worse with each movie.
Yeah, I second that exactly. It's about the flashy special effects and filling seats. But making movies is a business, and making money has to be the primary goal otherwise they can't justify making them and they can't do it for free so I can't fault them there. To me Star Trek truly died in 2005 when ENT was cancelled. That being said, I do think there's some great things about the 3 new movies. They were well casted, I think the actors did a great job with their rolls, didn't like 2009 personally because they destroyed Vulcan and Into Darkness, same, why was Kahn in this? Beyond was the first good movie they made and now I take it that series is over.

With ST 2009 I saw that in theater and after Vulcan was destroyed I kept waiting for them to fix the timeline but it never happened. This was so anti-Trek it left a sour taste in my mouth. In all Trek before when the timeline is messed with it's always put back right, but apparently not when you need to create a Reboot for a fresh start and re-image everything.

Well, time will tell what happens with this show, but they better know right now, they're not playing around with "their" baby with this one, this is "our" Trek, Picard and crew that's pre Abrams. So don't muck it up! But it looks like they're doing it justice and we can't expect everything to be like it was. Sure hope we get a real Klingon though and not whatever that was in Discovery/Abrams era.

post #240 of 572 Old 07-22-2019, 10:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

As long as they keep Alex Kurtzman drunk and well and truly away from the script there is some hope. But he's a part of this and this is after all from CBS who did Discovery (which is in many ways worse than JJ's films) so I do not have high hopes. I just hope the tidbit about Picard having input means something of substance.

The true test will be to see if the new show is all action/CGI/explosions or if there's any actual exploration/philosophical ideas in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page