AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   HDTV Programming (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hdtv-programming/)
-   -   Star Trek: Picard (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hdtv-programming/2994510-star-trek-picard.html)

Tack 08-04-2018 04:11 PM

Star Trek: Picard

He's back. New ST series on All Access.

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/sir-pat...cbs-all-access

replayrob 08-04-2018 04:14 PM

Wow... I'm shocked... but in a good way :)

Tack 08-04-2018 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by replayrob (Post 56593170)
Wow... I'm shocked... but in a good way :)

Yeah, I never saw that one coming. I would think there's a world of material for something like this. Almost a sure thing.

Zookster 08-04-2018 04:35 PM

Great news! But I'm not sure I'm looking forward to the inevitable crossover episode(s) between ST: Discovery and ST: Picard. That would involve quite the temporal anomaly or a member of the Q continuum to make happen. But I guess if the TNG crew can end up in Mark Twain's time, anything is possible and explainable.

phildaant 08-04-2018 04:40 PM

http://www.startrek.com/article/sir-...ic-picard-role for the official news including a YouTube video of the announcement!

Raw longer version: from http://www.reddit.com/r/startrek/com...rt_making_the/ ...

Tack 08-04-2018 05:06 PM

He's still got his commanding presence and voice.

drunkpenguin 08-04-2018 05:07 PM

I just read this today! I absolutely love Patrick Stewart and would love to see him reprise his role as Captain Picard. Actually, it's really too bad the entire cast of TNG couldnt reunite.

I have some real concerns with CBS at the helm after that mess of a series they are putting out now tho. We'll see what happens. Fingers crossed.

Al_the_xmtr_tech 08-04-2018 05:27 PM

Whew! Now it's a sure bet that the 2019-20 period will be really loaded with Star Trek content, not that I personally think that's a bad thing. But I predict that the wags and haters will start whining all over the place about "too much Star Trek content" any minute now. We'll have Discovery doing their apparently seriously re-tooled season 2, FOX's other "Trekier than Trek" series, The Orville, into their second season, and then the fourth J.J. Abrams theatrical Trek feature, now in pre-production for a spring 2020 release. Patrick Stewart's ST: TNG follow-up will hit CBSAA, and by that time Tarantino's untitled Star Trek feature will be in pre-production. Looks like TPTB at CBS/Paramount decided to do with Star Trek what Disney is doing with Star Wars and MCU films and just greenlight EVERYTHING. Cripes--I'm gonna need a bigger DVR!

drunkpenguin 08-04-2018 05:51 PM

Well, Orville is the better Star Trek. 😄

Dmon4u 08-06-2018 09:15 AM

They can't get the original " Q ", John de Lancie, yet so they will get some anonymous unknown new guy.

Guess they will call him

QAnon ......

tomtastic 08-06-2018 09:19 AM

I'm excited, yet nervous at the same time. One reason: Alex Kurtzman.

Rgb 08-06-2018 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tack (Post 56593376)
He's still got his commanding presence and voice.

...and Stewart is a MUCH classier, nicer guy vs Shatner in person.

Also stayed in shape and doesn't age vs the Hairclub for Federation Shatner and his Oprah-esque weight issues throughout his career ;)

lobosrul 08-06-2018 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmon4u (Post 56599680)
They can't get the original " Q ", John de Lancie, yet so they will get some anonymous unknown new guy.

Guess they will call him

QAnon ......

I see what you did there lol. Also Brent Spiner can't exactly play Data. Unless they do some plot point that he had himself aged to be more human.

WilliamR 08-06-2018 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lobosrul (Post 56599946)
I see what you did there lol. Also Brent Spiner can't exactly play Data. Unless they do some plot point that he had himself aged to be more human.

They kind of did that already in STNG, in the series finale, he added grey to his hair to make him look older to his students. They could easily say he did it in the new show to prevent people from being afraid of him never aging, to fit in more, etc.

archiguy 08-06-2018 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamR (Post 56600464)
They kind of did that already in STNG, in the series finale, he added grey to his hair to make him look older to his students. They could easily say he did it in the new show to prevent people from being afraid of him never aging, to fit in more, etc.

Sure. In fact, I would be shocked if Data did not make an appearance on the show, perhaps multiple ones. I'd expect the whole original cast to participate in some capacity.

Rgb 08-06-2018 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lobosrul (Post 56599946)

Its not like they couldn't cover up age issues with Data makeup...

Steve544 08-06-2018 12:08 PM

Why CBS All Access? Why not just a regular channel? I pay enough for regular CBS,NBC,ABC,FOX,HBO and the rest

Rgb 08-06-2018 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve544 (Post 56600662)
Why CBS All Access? Why not just a regular channel? I pay enough for regular CBS,NBC,ABC,FOX,HBO and the rest

Yep- we all wanted a-la-carte (by-the-channel/network) pay TV, now we've got it, and you end up paying several times more than we used to!

...just like some of us warned years ago.

Zookster 08-06-2018 12:17 PM

I wouldn't have as much of a problem paying for a month of CBS All Access to binge a show like this if it had anything else I wanted to watch. I'll do it anyway. But a few months ago, I took advantage of a free month of All Access to finally watch Discovery. When I cancelled before getting charged, they offered me another free month to stay on. Other than Discovery, five episodes of DS9, and a handful of Carpool Karaokes I can watch on YouTube, I didn't find anything else I wanted to watch during those free 60 days. All their network shows are ones I've passed on as they originally aired. And I didn't need All Access for local affiliate access.

Josh Z 08-06-2018 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rgb (Post 56600630)
Its not like they couldn't cover up age issues with Data makeup...

They tried that in the movies. By the time Nemesis came around, Spiner looked pretty ridiculous slathered in pancake makeup.

If anything, I'd expect some sort of digital de-aging, a la Kurt Russell at the beginning of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. The technology for that has gotten a lot better than, say, Jeff Bridges in Tron Legacy. It would probably limit Data's screen time, though. I imagine it would be too expensive to keep him on screen for multiple TV episodes.

PaulGo 08-06-2018 12:24 PM

Looking forward to see how the gap in time is handled and since it will be on All Access with a bigger budget to the enhanced special effects.

Al_the_xmtr_tech 08-06-2018 12:29 PM

Quote:

The sad fact is that network execs are now all running around spouting the current mantra that "streaming is for niche content." And while many Trekkers might not like to be regarded as "niche," they are considered to represent the very essence of it.

archiguy 08-06-2018 12:42 PM

Quote:

You left out CBS's own premium network, one I've subscribed to for 25 years -- Showtime. That is where they should have put ST-D, and this new show.

But... see Al's comment above. :(

tomtastic 08-06-2018 12:42 PM

Or just make him a CGI character and have him voice act it.

They first would need to provide some backstory on his return reintegration into the B4 unit. Maybe they could simply say he desired to age along with his shipmates so they redesigned his body/features. Or maybe both. Have an episode with CGI showing the before look and then the after with real actor. Not hard to make it work. But as Spiner says, it's about the story and ultimately: the money. These actors were making top dollar when they left the old series in '94, the new shows (DS9, VOY) meant cheaper pay. So if there's any reason Spiner wouldn't do it, it would be for not enough pay.

nathanddrews 08-06-2018 01:06 PM

My only real problem with Picard coming back is that he was not created, nor did he exist, in a vacuum. Picard was part of an ensemble cast and a very clearly defined universe of players and rules. Without the right group of people around him to challenge him or to rely upon, it certainly won't be the Picard we know. Sure, he had his share of solo spelunking adventures that worked out well from time to time, but let's also not forget that by the year 2395 (16 years after Nemesis), Picard had developed incurable Irumodic Syndrome. So, unless he used foreknowledge and took preventative measures after the events of All Good Things - he's going to be showing signs of mental degeneration by the time this series launches.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rgb (Post 56600680)
Yep- we all wanted a-la-carte pay TV, now we've got it, and you end up paying several times more than we used to!

Don't worry, in a few more years the a la carte model will collapse in on itself and Disney will own everything and then we can all complain about paying them $99/month. ;)

Jonas2 08-06-2018 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tack (Post 56593154)
He's back. New ST series on All Access.

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/sir-pat...cbs-all-access

Sweet!!! I love Patrick Stewart, specially in this role. :)

rdclark 08-06-2018 01:51 PM

My expectation is for Picard, now a senior member of the Stafleet Academy faculty, to be surrounded by a pack of young, sexy cadets whose misadventures and experiments in interspecies relations will provide the weekly action and skin.

Stewart is 78. He's not going to be an action hero, or a leading man, in this series. I'm sure he'll get ample opportunity to act, but a younger cast will do most of the heavy lifting.

But I'll take more on-screen Picard on any terms.

Ericglo 08-06-2018 03:24 PM

Cautiously optimistic. I haven't watched Discovery and really have had no desire to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zookster (Post 56600736)
I wouldn't have as much of a problem paying for a month of CBS All Access to binge a show like this if it had anything else I wanted to watch. I'll do it anyway. But a few months ago, I took advantage of a free month of All Access to finally watch Discovery. When I cancelled before getting charged, they offered me another free month to stay on. Other than Discovery, five episodes of DS9, and a handful of Carpool Karaokes I can watch on YouTube, I didn't find anything else I wanted to watch during those free 60 days. All their network shows are ones I've passed on as they originally aired. And I didn't need All Access for local affiliate access.

All five of the shows are broadcast on ME TV every night. I rewatched Voyager last year.

Zookster 08-06-2018 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ericglo (Post 56601730)

All five of the shows are broadcast on ME TV every night. I rewatched Voyager last year.

All five are on Netflix too.

Joe The Dragon 08-06-2018 07:28 PM

Quote:

at very least cbs owned showtime