AVS Forum banner

Star Trek: Picard

177K views 3K replies 175 participants last post by  WilliamR 
#1 · (Edited)
#4 ·
Great news! But I'm not sure I'm looking forward to the inevitable crossover episode(s) between ST: Discovery and ST: Picard. That would involve quite the temporal anomaly or a member of the Q continuum to make happen. But I guess if the TNG crew can end up in Mark Twain's time, anything is possible and explainable.

#7 ·
I just read this today! I absolutely love Patrick Stewart and would love to see him reprise his role as Captain Picard. Actually, it's really too bad the entire cast of TNG couldnt reunite.

I have some real concerns with CBS at the helm after that mess of a series they are putting out now tho. We'll see what happens. Fingers crossed.

#8 ·
Whew! Now it's a sure bet that the 2019-20 period will be really loaded with Star Trek content, not that I personally think that's a bad thing. But I predict that the wags and haters will start whining all over the place about "too much Star Trek content" any minute now. We'll have Discovery doing their apparently seriously re-tooled season 2, FOX's other "Trekier than Trek" series, The Orville, into their second season, and then the fourth J.J. Abrams theatrical Trek feature, now in pre-production for a spring 2020 release. Patrick Stewart's ST: TNG follow-up will hit CBSAA, and by that time Tarantino's untitled Star Trek feature will be in pre-production. Looks like TPTB at CBS/Paramount decided to do with Star Trek what Disney is doing with Star Wars and MCU films and just greenlight EVERYTHING. Cripes--I'm gonna need a bigger DVR!

#17 ·
Why CBS All Access? Why not just a regular channel? I pay enough for regular CBS,NBC,ABC,FOX,HBO and the rest

#19 ·
I wouldn't have as much of a problem paying for a month of CBS All Access to binge a show like this if it had anything else I wanted to watch. I'll do it anyway. But a few months ago, I took advantage of a free month of All Access to finally watch Discovery. When I cancelled before getting charged, they offered me another free month to stay on. Other than Discovery, five episodes of DS9, and a handful of Carpool Karaokes I can watch on YouTube, I didn't find anything else I wanted to watch during those free 60 days. All their network shows are ones I've passed on as they originally aired. And I didn't need All Access for local affiliate access.

#24 ·
Or just make him a CGI character and have him voice act it.

They first would need to provide some backstory on his return reintegration into the B4 unit. Maybe they could simply say he desired to age along with his shipmates so they redesigned his body/features. Or maybe both. Have an episode with CGI showing the before look and then the after with real actor. Not hard to make it work. But as Spiner says, it's about the story and ultimately: the money. These actors were making top dollar when they left the old series in '94, the new shows (DS9, VOY) meant cheaper pay. So if there's any reason Spiner wouldn't do it, it would be for not enough pay.

#26 ·
#27 ·
My expectation is for Picard, now a senior member of the Stafleet Academy faculty, to be surrounded by a pack of young, sexy cadets whose misadventures and experiments in interspecies relations will provide the weekly action and skin.

Stewart is 78. He's not going to be an action hero, or a leading man, in this series. I'm sure he'll get ample opportunity to act, but a younger cast will do most of the heavy lifting.

But I'll take more on-screen Picard on any terms.

#537 ·
Picard will be our "Miss Marple" for the 2010s (and hopefully 2020's).

#31 ·
I would be shocked if Brent Spiner appeared. As I recall, one of his goals in contributing to the writing of Nemesis was to give Data a sendoff, because he already felt uncomfortable playing a character who never ages when he had changed significantly since the start of TNG -- and this was in 2002. There's no way he would consent to reprise his role at this point, unless he's had a radical change of heart.

#32 · (Edited)
Even during the TNG run, there was an obvious difference from S1 vs later seasons re: Spiner age/weight, etc.

The writers should have addressed this from the get go by stating Data was meant to mimic humans as closely as possible, since he could eat food and have physical relations (Naked Now) even though he didn't need to, which Soong granted him just to fit in socially better. Coulda just said he had the ability to change weight and had skin that aged naturally (though it could be repaired/stopped if Data wanted) to further fit in with humans he worked with. Think the Terminator- aging real-skin shell, though not a big deal to just claim Data's was a synthetic skin polymer that could grow/self repair, etc.

#45 ·
All this love for Patrick Stewart's Picard. I thought he was awful as the the choice for the Captain of the Enterprise. Bald, skinny, wimpy, condescending, afraid of children and totally unbelievable as an "action hero". My favorite episodes of the series were when the Borg made him their "drone" and Frakes' Riker took over. Every episode centering on Picard was just weak. ;)

Seriously as a fan of the original, I just never warmed up to Picard. I always saw him more of a "Number 2".

Now on CBS's decision to show it via "pay for view", I'm out. Between cable, Netflix, Amazon, internet, phone/wireless plans, disk purchases, streaming purchases....it is crazy what I'm paying to be entertained each month... North of $600. Now Disney is coming...to remove much of my content from Netflix, so another service to pay for. :(

#66 ·
All this love for Patrick Stewart's Picard. I thought he was awful as the the choice for the Captain of the Enterprise. Bald, skinny, wimpy, condescending, afraid of children and totally unbelievable as an "action hero".
If you think Picard was supposed to be an action hero, then you do not understand TNG, or Trek in general, at all. The only reason Kirk got into so many fights was that NBC demanded action sequences in TOS.

#51 ·
I'm excited for this but I hope they don't get Wesley Crusher back.

He was the most annoying character in the original show, and the actor has since turned into such a smarmy, self-important egomaniac, even compared to other successful child actors who fizzled out. It'll make it harder for me to get into this show if he's in it. I'm with Sheldon Cooper on this, he's pure evil!

#52 · (Edited)
I don't think many Trek fans would argue these points, though I watched TNG during my undergrad years. Had I been younger (~10 or less), I may have considered Wesley a role model/hero.

Of course, this is what Roddenberry may have been going for- a character relate-able to the kid demographic.

I agree Wheaton has an air of superiority, or at least plays it up for Big Bang theory. May stem from his first Big Thing, critical acclaim for Stand By Me.

But I throw him a bone for being a genuinely smart guy and "one of us" geeks ;)

https://geekandsundry.com/shows/tabletop/

https://uproxx.com/tv/wil-wheaton-explains-to-a-newborn-what-it-means-to-be-a-nerd/

#53 ·
Wil Wheaton has been very candid about his life-long struggles with depression and anxiety. He's played a lot of annoying characters, including villains, over the years, but I totally respect him as a person.

Here's an article he wrote (actually a transcription of a talk he gave) in which he details his personal demons: https://medium.com/@wilw/my-name-is...ralized-anxiety-i-am-not-ashamed-8f693f9c0af1

I personally wouldn't have a problem with him making an appearance in this new Star Trek series.

#54 ·
I wonder if he will be an admiral in the new series with a younger crew on the ship? Just thinking out loud. Wonder how they will handle this, can't see someone in their upper 80's being in to many action scenes. Curious how they do all this but I am all in for sure.

#58 ·
If Picard's not a Captain it would just be plain boring. After all, Kirk told him what he already knew: "Don't let them promote you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship." No Admiral rank, no SF Academy, it's not in Picard's nature to be anything other than in command of a SF ship. Patrick Stewart is in great shape, he can pull it off.

William Shatner will outlive us all.

#61 ·
One of my work associates saw Shat at a recent Somethingorother Con.. $189 for a photo w/the legend.

The photo was taken by his photog with his camera. For $189 you got a glossy print and a jpg copy emailed to you.

You were not supposed to talk with him....

For $189... I would loudly mumble "Denny Crane!!" just as the photo was being snapped to try to get a reaction out of Shat :D