Fall 2018 winners and losers - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #31 of 48 Old 09-25-2018, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Whats all this Lost talk. I thought they were remaking a condensed version The 4400...

"There you go again..." - Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 09-25-2018, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6199 Post(s)
Liked: 6877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Amazon Prime has Babylon 5. I never watched it when it originally aired and I'm working my thru the series. Not a small task, mind you. I'm almost done with S2.
Ah, now you're getting into the good stuff!
RayGuy likes this.
post #33 of 48 Old 09-25-2018, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 7184 Post(s)
Liked: 16313
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Ah, now you're getting into the good stuff!
Last time I got into the good stuff it required lawyers, bail money, alibis and a firetruck.
Keenan and TampBayOTA like this.

Advertisement

post #34 of 48 Old 09-25-2018, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked: 583
New Amsterdam, one and done for me. FBI is close to that status too, I'll try next week and see if it gets any better.
DrDon likes this.
post #35 of 48 Old 09-26-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Last time I got into the good stuff it required lawyers, bail money, alibis and a firetruck.
I remember that. It was in the news. Some heathen in a Viking helmet boosted a cute little Dalmatian puppy right off a fire truck while those brave men were saving lives, depriving them of their adorable spotted mascot. You monster!
RayGuy likes this.
post #36 of 48 Old 09-26-2018, 08:13 AM

Fall show I'm most looking forward to: 'Daredevil 3' from Netflix, dropping Oct. 19th. The most consistent and entertaining of the Netflix Marvel stable IMO.
Dmon4u, Keenan and Zookster like this.
post #37 of 48 Old 09-26-2018, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1793 Post(s)
Liked: 1786
Quote:
Fall show I'm most looking forward to: 'Daredevil 3' from Netflix, dropping Oct. 19th. The most consistent and entertaining of the Netflix Marvel stable IMO.
For this fall's offerings from the streaming services, I'm also looking forward to

The Man in the High Castle, season 3 (Prime) - still one of my favorite Amazon originals
The Romanoffs (Prime) - Enough of a pedigree () to pique my interest
Big Mouth, season 2 (Netflix) - I was very pleasantly surprised by season 1, as I usually don't watch animated shows
Maniac (Netflix) - I haven't gotten around to it yet

While I'm currently enjoying season 2 of Atypical (Netflix), which puts any family-oriented comedy broadcast TV could dream of coming up with to shame, though there's very little here that would have trouble getting past network censors.
post #38 of 48 Old 09-26-2018, 11:42 AM

I love 'Man in the High Castle' as well. Do we know the drop date for that one?
TampBayOTA likes this.
post #39 of 48 Old 09-26-2018, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I love 'Man in the High Castle' as well. Do we know the drop date for that one?
October 5.
archiguy and JoeTiVo like this.
post #40 of 48 Old 09-26-2018, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Looking forward to the Romanoff's too. Tried The Man in High Castle, but just could not get into it. From something I saw/read it's getting a little Sci-fi ish now, still out.
post #41 of 48 Old 09-26-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
Looking forward to the Romanoff's too. Tried The Man in High Castle, but just could not get into it. From something I saw/read it's getting a little Sci-fi ish now, still out.
I really like alternative history. Keep waiting for the movie/series adaptation of "The Guns of the South". As for TMitHC being science-fiction-ish, it was written by one of the great sci-fi authors of all time, Philip K. Dick.
Zookster likes this.
post #42 of 48 Old 09-26-2018, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 2909 Post(s)
Liked: 2680
Quote:
The firetruck was for cleansing? Kind of assuming you got a bit dirty ...

Alternatively, they were there in lieu of the ambulance and had to resusitate you? That's fun, too!

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #43 of 48 Old 09-28-2018, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked: 662
I have watches a few of the "new" offerings if that is what you call them

"Manafest" has been done several times already. Still could be interesting but I found the sound as well as acting to be sub-par.

"Murphy Brown" so far is just a Trump bashing. Old jokes about his hair, skin color and tweeting. Candice Bergan now looks like Eva Gabor from "Green Acres" after her last trip under the knife. I do not know if this could really be considered a new show, but a 10 year gap seems to make it fair.

"FBI" was decent but a lot was crammed into an hour. Would prefer to have had it spread out over several episodes if not an entire season similar to shows like "24"

"New Amsterdam" was my favorite so far. I like several of the characters and the acting was good. This was just pretty much a set-up episode so will see how the writing goes.

"A Million Little Things" started off pretty good. Kind of puts me in mind of " 13 Reasons" for adults. Good cast and acting. Once again up to the writers.
post #44 of 48 Old 10-03-2018, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Wink US Networks they still exist???? :) ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
We're a little over a month out from the start of the traditional fall TV season just wondering what folks are looking forward to, and what they are not interested in. At this point there is nothing that has really grabbed me and makes want to watch - but I'm curious if there is something I should make an effort to sample. Thoughts?
First, I have some rules

1) No reboots, no reimagines, no rethinks.

2) No reality

3) No PC crap either.

So with that, I have ONE (1) , yes SERIOUSLY ONE SHOW left on the US5. BBT. Thats it.

I quit sampling new shows about 2 years ago. As the filth, slime, reboots, PC casting, PC themes, etc. was just too much.

I dropped long time NCIS, and its LA partner, and the other was always NCIS:NO to start.

I dropped Last Man Standing as the year long hiatus cost them Molly Ephraim, so it cost me. No way that recasting gets by me... Although me thinks that the almighty $$$$ was at the heart of things. Simply put, you can't blame other projects as she has not done too much outside of this. I will give Ephraim A+ for keeping out of the mess, no disaster regarding this. Although it brings to light some other things about Ephraim, which well read on.

So that leaves BBT as the Last Show Standing! Here all week, try the veal!

Based on what I've read in another thread, one revival is just there for a liberal rant fest, no thanks. I don't remember the original being that viciously political. But... what ever, its a revival, so on the dung heap it goes and stays.

Which leads to another part, that unfortunately many of the persons I like on shows, like Ephraim and Bergen, when you find out more about them in real life loose their appeal. Lets just say that we are not on the same side. So disappointing to see people have such unfortunate views. Sort of like Sarandon. They have to know that these views will impact their fanbase, even more so in 2018.

I watch MORE form ITV, BBC, 4, Sky, 7, ABC (not that one! , SBS, CBC, Global, etc. than the US5 combined! Rake, 800 Words is just finishing up its season.

The US5 are going to have to get away from the PC sanitized and leanings of their shows to have any chance. Also regardless, don't try to reboot/reimagine my shows cough Lost in Space cough! The movie got a pass only for 3 reasons, OK, 4 and one them is spandex! Another area is that the FCC needs to smack down some of these groups who are just ruining things. Outside the US, others have move on and up, or never had some of the Puritan views holding back TV broadcast. Its time the US OTA moved on too! I've seen 30-40's movies do more with clothes on and dialogue that was way hotter, steamy etc. than just out right nudity and language. Which sort of gets to the major issue, the lack of talent by any one at least in the US of writing this stuff to start!

So tl;dr Fall 2018 is a fail, and cancelled, no pre-cancelled!

Notice: I no longer provide assistance in re OTA antenna and RF related queries.
post #45 of 48 Old 10-03-2018, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 670
@TampBayOTA Sounds like you've got a lot of immediate disqualifiers there :-) . On the whole, I definitely agree that the Network shows are miles behind other series nowadays on stations like AMC, FX, and even TNT, USA, etc. Not to mention HBO, Showtime, Netflix, Hulu... Network shows pale in comparison for sure.

That said, there are a few Network shows I still like

- Gotham
- Lethal Weapon
- Superstore
- The Orville

p.s. (I didn't list a few on the CW that I do like - The 100, Riverdale, iZombie)
post #46 of 48 Old 10-03-2018, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampBayOTA View Post
First, I have some rules

2) No reality

3) No PC crap either.
Ha. That pretty much eliminates everything on network TV.

1) What ever happened to an original idea. Much worse are the reboots like Mannix etc. Just not the same show-at least make up new names and title. You are now going for a generation or two later and they did not watch the originals.

2) I have grown weary of the talent, dancing, surviving, voting off shows. Same thing over and over.

3) That pretty much is the majority of network TV. No "fair and balanced" in the offerings either. Seems they do not care if the do not appeal to about half the viewing audience.

I hope with the loss of viewers to services like Netflix, Prime and Hulu not to mention the "lesser" networks, they would get it. Give me original entertainment and you have me.
post #47 of 48 Old 10-03-2018, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post

p.s. (I didn't list a few on the CW that I do like - The 100, Riverdale, iZombie)
I've come to think of CW shows as part of my Netflix viewing. The latest season comes to Netflix one week after it airs on broadcast, so then I can just binge at my leisure. I consider shows like Supergirl, Black Lightning, iZombie, and the 100 as guilty pleasure watching when I need something light that won't make me think too much. I've been meaning to check out Riverdale as well.
Don S likes this.
post #48 of 48 Old 10-03-2018, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampBayOTA View Post
First, I have some rules

2) No reality

3) No PC crap either.

So with that, I have ONE (1) , yes SERIOUSLY ONE SHOW left on the US5. BBT. Thats it.

I quit sampling new shows about 2 years ago. As the filth, slime, reboots, PC casting, PC themes, etc. was just too much.

I dropped long time NCIS, and its LA partner, and the other was always NCIS:NO to start.

I dropped Last Man Standing as the year long hiatus cost them Molly Ephraim, so it cost me. No way that recasting gets by me... Although me thinks that the almighty $$$$ was at the heart of things. Simply put, you can't blame other projects as she has not done too much outside of this. I will give Ephraim A+ for keeping out of the mess, no disaster regarding this. Although it brings to light some other things about Ephraim, which well read on.

So that leaves BBT as the Last Show Standing! Here all week, try the veal!

Based on what I've read in another thread, one revival is just there for a liberal rant fest, no thanks. I don't remember the original being that viciously political. But... what ever, its a revival, so on the dung heap it goes and stays.

Which leads to another part, that unfortunately many of the persons I like on shows, like Ephraim and Bergen, when you find out more about them in real life loose their appeal. Lets just say that we are not on the same side. So disappointing to see people have such unfortunate views. Sort of like Sarandon. They have to know that these views will impact their fanbase, even more so in 2018.

I watch MORE form ITV, BBC, 4, Sky, 7, ABC (not that one! , SBS, CBC, Global, etc. than the US5 combined! Rake, 800 Words is just finishing up its season.

The US5 are going to have to get away from the PC sanitized and leanings of their shows to have any chance. Also regardless, don't try to reboot/reimagine my shows cough Lost in Space cough! The movie got a pass only for 3 reasons, OK, 4 and one them is spandex! Another area is that the FCC needs to smack down some of these groups who are just ruining things. Outside the US, others have move on and up, or never had some of the Puritan views holding back TV broadcast. Its time the US OTA moved on too! I've seen 30-40's movies do more with clothes on and dialogue that was way hotter, steamy etc. than just out right nudity and language. Which sort of gets to the major issue, the lack of talent by any one at least in the US of writing this stuff to start!

So tl;dr Fall 2018 is a fail, and cancelled, no pre-cancelled!
I used to watch UK TV in large part because it was sort of new and different. But for many years I watched more UK show then USA. Now, I'm like UK show set in London... gee I've seen the Tower Bridge 800 times already. Then I moved on to Aussie stuff, now thats sort of passe (I love Rake, and A Place to Call Home), except one really weird show set in Tasmania (The Kettering Incident). Now I'm on to non-English language shows. I think Babylon Berlin might be my show of the year.

ETA: although it must be pointed out, most reality shows were originally from the UK. Strictly Come Dancing->Dancing w/ The Stars, and so many Simon Cowell shows I've lost count. The big problem with the US Networks is they are still going for quantity over quality. 3 networks fill 22 hours a week, and 2 networks 15 hours.

Last edited by lobosrul; 10-03-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page