AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1890 Post(s)
Liked: 2270
NOS4A2 on AMC

Zachary Quinto to Star as 'Seductive' Villain in AMC Horror Drama NOS4A2
By Rebecca Iannucci, TVLine.com - Sep. 13, 2018

Zachary Quinto is sinking his teeth into cable TV once again, having nabbed the lead role in AMC’s forthcoming supernatural drama NOS4A2.

Based on Joe Hill’s bestselling 2013 novel, NOS4A2 — which received a 10-episode series order in April — centers on Vic McQueen, a young artist who discovers she has a supernatural ability to track the seemingly immortal villain Charlie Manx.

Quinto will star as Manx, the seductive adversary who feeds off the souls of children, then deposits what remains of them into Christmasland — an icy, twisted Christmas village of Manx’s imagination where every day is Christmas Day and unhappiness is against the law. Manx finds his whole world threatened when Vic (Australian actress Ashleigh Cummings) discovers her dangerous gift.

The actor, who recently wrapped a run in Broadway’s The Boys in the Band, is known for his previous small-screen work in American Horror Story and Heroes, among other series. He also currently hosts History’s reboot of In Search Of, a docuseries that explores unexplained phenomena.

NOS4A2 — read it aloud to catch the reference to a famous bloodsucker — recently began production in Rhode Island, with an eye on a 2019 premiere.

https://tvline.com/2018/09/13/zachar...-horror-drama/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 09-14-2018, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter

I think Zachary could nail that role. Looking forward to seeing where this goes and the first trailer.

post #3 of 29 Old 09-14-2018, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 820
For those that might not know, Joe Hill is Stephen King's son.... I really enjoyed the book and am looking forward to the TV show...
shivaji likes this.

Bobby 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 06-03-2019, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6937 Post(s)
Liked: 15553
Watched the premiere episode last night. Liked it enough to keep me interested. Looking forward to next weeks. I read all 10 episodes dropped on AMC Premiere. But who has that? Not me.

post #5 of 29 Old 06-03-2019, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4406 Post(s)
Liked: 3978
interesting premise but is getting horrible reviews...I'll pass
post #6 of 29 Old 06-04-2019, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter

We decided to save up some episodes in case it gets cancelled. Will binge watch it later.

post #7 of 29 Old 06-04-2019, 05:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I tried to like it' decent acting' but to disjointed . Hard to follow. Will give it a few more watches.
post #8 of 29 Old 06-04-2019, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4050 Post(s)
Liked: 3063
The show is not very good. In fact, I'd say that it is actively quite bad. However, consider this:

Young boy is lured out of his house and into a mysterious vehicle that shouldn't be there by a strange conductor promising to convey him north to "Christmasland." The whole thing is a dark retelling of The Polar Express.

Manx = Hanks. It totally checks out.
gibson61 likes this.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
post #9 of 29 Old 06-05-2019, 02:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1220 Post(s)
Liked: 2085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
The show is not very good. In fact, I'd say that it is actively quite bad. However, consider this:

Young boy is lured out of his house and into a mysterious vehicle that shouldn't be there by a strange conductor promising to convey him north to "Christmasland." The whole thing is a dark retelling of The Polar Express.

Manx = Hanks. It totally checks out.
Or this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sein_u...t_(The_X-Files)
post #10 of 29 Old 06-05-2019, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 640
I haven't watched this yet.. wasn't even going to... it sadly took me FAR longer than it should to figure out what the name was hinting at...
post #11 of 29 Old 06-06-2019, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4050 Post(s)
Liked: 3063
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
I haven't watched this yet.. wasn't even going to... it sadly took me FAR longer than it should to figure out what the name was hinting at...
The book is titled "NOS4R2" in the UK, because of accents. Really.
HDMe2 likes this.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
post #12 of 29 Old 07-21-2019, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6937 Post(s)
Liked: 15553
Good news for those of us still watching. AMC has renewed it for a second season.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/357...4a2-comic-con/

post #13 of 29 Old 07-23-2019, 04:56 AM

Its not a bad show. But it needed to be a One season show. I was hoping it wrap up in the 2 hour final. Just not enough for me to continue for another season. The acting is quite good. Vic and Bing are very good. But it needs to have a finish now.
post #14 of 29 Old 07-23-2019, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

My wife really likes this show. I think it is good but a little slow. She got more pumped for it when they had "powers"/"abilities". She finds her bridge really cool.

I struggle with a 27 year old actress playing an 18 year old. She looks so much older it is hard to buy her in that role.

post #15 of 29 Old 07-29-2019, 09:34 AM

The season final was very good. Really look forward now to season 2' Really great acting ' Cant wait until someone beats Bing's head in.
WilliamR likes this.
post #16 of 29 Old 07-29-2019, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2342 Post(s)
Liked: 1831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Good news for those of us still watching. AMC has renewed it for a second season.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/357...4a2-comic-con/
And AMC is also adding to Shudder if you don't have AMC.
post #17 of 29 Old 07-30-2019, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Really enjoyed the finale. Thought it was really well done, setup season 2 nicely. Really got into this series.

post #18 of 29 Old 07-30-2019, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Liked: 1329
A minor nit. The escape via the tall metal shaft in the ceiling didn't quite fit type house she was trapped in. I won't address the strength required to propel oneself upward in such a shaft.
post #19 of 29 Old 08-03-2019, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2896 Post(s)
Liked: 3740
I was on the fence on this one .. decided last night to watch Ep 1 .. not bad, will go forward tonight, I think ..

Not surprised it was originally written by King's son .. I think it has a distinct King vibe to it ..

Keep it in the Family, I guess ..
WilliamR likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #20 of 29 Old 08-05-2019, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I was on the fence on this one .. decided last night to watch Ep 1 .. not bad, will go forward tonight, I think ..

Not surprised it was originally written by King's son .. I think it has a distinct King vibe to it ..

Keep it in the Family, I guess ..
I think it gets better as it goes along. Once they flesh out some of the "rules" and what is happening it is very enjoyable. Hope you like it too.
mgkdragn likes this.

post #21 of 29 Old 08-05-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
I think it gets better as it goes along. Once they flesh out some of the "rules" and what is happening it is very enjoyable. Hope you like it too.
I finished it thru Episode 5 .. still liking it .. maybe not the Worlds Best TV show, but, it's not bad ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #22 of 29 Old 08-05-2019, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Liked: 1329
Last week I had search for the identity of the horrid Rolls Royce driver. Damn! Mr. Spock.
post #23 of 29 Old 08-10-2019, 10:27 AM

Good finale, nice setup for Season 2 .. Ashleigh Cummings / Vic McQueen did a good job and Bing Partridge adds a certain weirdness to it all .. in some ways, Bing stole the show, IMO .. at least, the scenes he was in ..

Uncle Willie

post #24 of 29 Old 08-11-2019, 04:48 AM

I agree Bing was the best part ' great acting and his new look is so different. Vic also is good and her first really acting job. Also the snowmen on the way to Christmas Land are super creepy and the moon face.
post #25 of 29 Old 08-11-2019, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2342 Post(s)
Liked: 1831
Shudder is dishing it out an episode a week.
post #26 of 29 Old 08-12-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
A minor nit. The escape via the tall metal shaft in the ceiling didn't quite fit type house she was trapped in. I won't address the strength required to propel oneself upward in such a shaft.
It was a laundry chute from the second floor. It looked like it might have been the size of a dumb waiter which might have been converted to a laundry chute. Having said that, I would question, strength or not, that she could make the climb in her riding boots, especially those for dirt riding. Riding boots are designed to conform to bike pegs, while allowing your toe to fit under the shift lever. Not only are they often unpleasant to walk around in, but they have treads meant to hold up to extreme wear conditions, making them unsuitable for slippery surfaces - hence why bikers go out of their way to avoid stepping in oil or loose dirt. Cruiser boots meant for "heal/toe" shifters tend to be more like regular work boots with slip resistant soles since they don't have to be as slim and those bikes tend to be heavier to hold up.

However.....

I actually had more of a problem with the fact she was in a laundry room where she had access to a water line. I would have yanked the cold water line and flooded the room (which would have resulted in the water flowing under the door to the outer halway) to keep out the fire.

Heck, I would have at least given her props if she wet the towels she stuffed under the door so they, you know, would have blocked the smoke without catching fire.

Last edited by NetworkTV; 08-12-2019 at 05:03 PM.
post #27 of 29 Old 08-13-2019, 03:59 AM - Thread Starter

Surprised this show doesn't have more traction. Thought it was excellent and very well acted. Zachary is awesome in the lead. Really enjoyed this, looking forward to season 2.

post #28 of 29 Old 08-13-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Surprised this show doesn't have more traction. Thought it was excellent and very well acted. Zachary is awesome in the lead. Really enjoyed this, looking forward to season 2.
While I enjoyed the show, it did have a few issues:

1) The main premise is that CHarlie Manx is kidnapping children and often killing their parents. The problem? I don't care. Few of the kids had any sort of fleshing out to make me like them, only to have them become blood thirsty vampires. Vic's friend is the only one I cared about, and even she turned evil.

2) If your life depends on you car running, perhaps you should tie yourself to a Volvo, rather than something as unreliable as a Rolls Royce - especially a rare one with hard to find parts.

3) Pretty much everyone at some point did the old "I have to do this myself " thing when going after the bad guys and it ended somewhat badly for all of them - especially for Vic's "boyfriend" who she claimed to love, despite hanging out with the rich guy who mysteriously disappeared when the plot didn't need him.

4) Literally everyone tells Manx that trying to convert Vic over to his side is a bad idea - even the random guy at the night club. He holds fast right up until he's confronted by someone in a trunk about her.

5) Apparently stabbing a hole in the top of a fuel tank will cause it to leak, but you can just drive all the way back to the gas station and just put more in.

6) Apparently kids will get into any creepy car with any creepy guy and won't freak out when their teeth start popping out as long as there are candy canes.
post #29 of 29 Old 08-13-2019, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

For number 2, they said while it is possible for your enscape to switch to something else if destroyed, it is rare and you don't control it. That is his and he had to stick with it. Perhaps if it got destroyed it may switch over, but at that point he would not be around anymore because he would be to drained to do anything but be in a coma. Sounds like he would have to wait for it to get destroyed, he can't just go out and pick a new Lambo and it instantly becomes his new enscape. Just like when she was looking for a new motorcycle to replace hers.

For number 4, Manx said he wanted her as his bride to rule Christmas Land. He is wiser than anyone else and they all appear to agree with him and are afraid of him. He knows what he wants and with her power she would have made a great bride for him. However, he only changed his mind when the guy in the trunk told him they had sex. To Manx, that was a sin and thus she could not be his bride after learning that because like he said she now impure. So until then he wanted her, the kid in the trunk enlightened him and she is now not worthy.

For number 5, I took it as he didn't know what was wrong with the car and the fuel was running low/draining to fast, he just thought something happened and all he had to go on was he needed more fuel so he stopped to get some. He was unaware it "leaked" out, the car doesn't talk to him to tell him hey, I have a hole in my tank. Now, him not realizing something worse is going on is another issue.

The others, hard to argue with those, especially number 6, that was a VERY hard one to accept and almost ruined the show for me at the beginning, but glad I stuck with it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page