God Friended Me CBS - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By PMA
  • 1 Post By archiguy
  • 1 Post By jjeff
  • 1 Post By Matt L
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 10-01-2018, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Matt L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Flushing, MI
Posts: 5,892
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 534
God Friended Me CBS

Was not sure of what to expect with this show, but found it pleasant, and did not take itself too seriously. I'd say it's rather light weight, but fine for an early Sunday night. Not sure if I"ll tune in every week, with CBS Football screwing up the schedule most of the fall, but I'm willing to give it a try for a while.
Matt L is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 10-01-2018, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Roger Lococco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Jamaica,Queens
Posts: 1,087
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I liked it a lot, and that Violett Beane is sure easy on the eyes...
Roger Lococco is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 10-02-2018, 06:00 AM
DDD
Senior Member
 
DDD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Melissa, TX
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco View Post
I liked it a lot, and that Violett Beane is sure easy on the eyes...
Yes, Jesse Quick!
DDD is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 13 Old 10-02-2018, 10:36 AM
PMA
Senior Member
 
PMA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD View Post
Yes, Jesse Quick!
I thought I recognized her as well so thanks for the connection. I also enjoyed this show. I was concerned it might mock Christianity but was pleasantly surprised that it deals with why some people turn from God given the main character's background story. Very relatable. I hope they can do stories of others who have life issues but somehow can see the grand design of life as intended by God. Not sure how they can keep a running premise of the main characters connecting with those in trouble each week but I'll continue to see how the writing evolves.
cyfman likes this.
PMA is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 10-02-2018, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 25,171
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5922 Post(s)
Liked: 6511
You will never, EVER see a scripted prime time show mocking Christianity. That would be network suicide. This was always going to be "Son of Touched by an Angel".
allargon likes this.
archiguy is online now  
post #6 of 13 Old 10-02-2018, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Garrett Adams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Stockton, CA USA
Posts: 3,805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked: 1306
I wasn't expecting it but I also enjoyed it. Not sure about its' long term potential but I'm in until I feel it has run out of gas.
Garrett Adams is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 10-02-2018, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
daryl zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 4,442
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked: 1654
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
You will never, EVER see a scripted prime time show mocking Christianity. That would be network suicide. This was always going to be "Son of Touched by an Angel".
I was guessing son of "Joan of Arcadia" but I'm probably not going to watch any network show unless it is Hannibal quality or some sci-fi fun stuff.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
daryl zero is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 10-02-2018, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 11,349
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
..... Not sure if I"ll tune in every week, with CBS Football screwing up the schedule most of the fall, but I'm willing to give it a try for a while.
F'ing CBS and their Sunday night lineup
Even though it looks like they've moved their Sunday night schedule 1/2 hour later, it's still not enough for a good number of Sundays! When I was regularly recording something on Sunday night I padded my shows an extra 1hr even though 45 minutes would have gotten the vast majority, I had the option of 30 minutes but I bet 40-50% of the time football ran 30+ minutes late so I would have missed the end of my events after football.
Anyway I didn't have my auto-record pilot event padded and what do you know, football ran 30+ minutes late and unlike some other networks(NBC comes to mine) CBS doesn't seem to be smart enough to repeat pilots later in the week.....and if I don't catch the pilot I generally don't continue to watch the program. Oh well, lots of other things to watch.....
jjeff is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 10-22-2018, 09:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chitchatjf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Lawrence MA
Posts: 3,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I LIKE this show but I tend to catch it on CBS all access (I do not like commercials)
chitchatjf is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 06-11-2019, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Zookster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,256
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1567 Post(s)
Liked: 1475
I have CBS All Access this month to watch season 2 of Discovery. I normally don't watch network shows, especially the crime-drama procedural kind that CBS primarily airs. God Friended Me caught my eye as I was browsing, and I've watched the first three episodes (it's produced by some of the same people behind the CW Arrowverse shows).

It's definitely lightweight, but I watch so much dark and heavy stuff, it's nice to have a mindless, feel-good series to watch sometimes. Question: is it pretty much lather, rinse, repeat the entire season, with Miles helping a different person each week, or does the bigger picture story arc evolve more? Also, does he totally sell out on the atheism, as some of his viewers are already saying he did after he rejected the Sirius podcast opportunity in the second episode, or does the show continue to present opposing viewpoints vis-a-vis the existence and possible role of "god" in our lives?
Zookster is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 06-11-2019, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 11,349
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
I have CBS All Access this month to watch season 2 of Discovery. I normally don't watch network shows, especially the crime-drama procedural kind that CBS primarily airs. God Friended Me caught my eye as I was browsing, and I've watched the first three episodes (it's produced by some of the same people behind the CW Arrowverse shows).

It's definitely lightweight, but I watch so much dark and heavy stuff, it's nice to have a mindless, feel-good series to watch sometimes. Question: is it pretty much lather, rinse, repeat the entire season, with Miles helping a different person each week, or does the bigger picture story arc evolve more? Also, does he totally sell out on the atheism, as some of his viewers are already saying he did after he rejected the Sirius podcast opportunity in the second episode, or does the show continue to present opposing viewpoints vis-a-vis the existence and possible role of "god" in our lives?
Yes an arch definitely develops, actually it's present from the very first episode but it gets to be more the main theme towards the end of the season and helping out people takes a back seat. No the opposing viewpoints on atheism continue to the end of the season but Miles and his father really become closer in their relationship. I personally really liked the show, as you said it's kind of a lightweight feelgood show but also as you said, it helps balance what a lot of other people(including me) tend to watch. Besides, I just can't stop staring at Cara(Violett Beane) who while not what I'd call hot or sexy has the most beautiful eyes, skin and features I'd watch the show just to see her in HD even if it weren't good but actually it's pretty good so she's a bonus. She hasn't done a lot but I do remember her from the Flash.
Zookster likes this.
jjeff is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 06-11-2019, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Matt L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Flushing, MI
Posts: 5,892
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 534
I too enjoy the show, but I think it's more in the vein of "Person of Interest" than "Touched by an Angel". It does develop much more toward the end.
Zookster likes this.
Matt L is online now  
post #13 of 13 Old 06-11-2019, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Zookster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,256
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1567 Post(s)
Liked: 1475
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Yes an arch definitely develops, actually it's present from the very first episode but it gets to be more the main theme towards the end of the season and helping out people takes a back seat. No the opposing viewpoints on atheism continue to the end of the season but Miles and his father really become closer in their relationship. I personally really liked the show, as you said it's kind of a lightweight feelgood show but also as you said, it helps balance what a lot of other people(including me) tend to watch. Besides, I just can't stop staring at Cara(Violett Beane) who while not what I'd call hot or sexy has the most beautiful eyes, skin and features I'd watch the show just to see her in HD even if it weren't good but actually it's pretty good so she's a bonus. She hasn't done a lot but I do remember her from the Flash.
Sounds like it's worth sticking with. At least until my free month is up and I need to make a decision (I doubt I can binge all 22 episodes of GFM along with Discovery this month). "Cara" reminds me A LOT of this young, very pretty girl-next-door type who was my intern before she got a full-time job in another department where I worked. *sigh* So yeah ... I hear you.
Zookster is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Programming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off