• 2 Post By rflor

post #1 of 10 Old 10-02-2018, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4200 Post(s)
Liked: 3752
The Wheel of Time- Amazon

Amazon on Tuesday placed a series order for The Wheel of Time, an adaptation of Robert Jordan’s fantasy novels...official description:

The Wheel of Time is set in a sprawling, epic world where magic exists, but only women can use it...Meaning that in this series — women hold the keys to power...The story follows Moiraine, a member of the shadowy and influential all-female organization called the ‘Aes Sedai’ as she embarks on a dangerous, world-spanning journey with five young men and women...Moiraine’s interested in these five because she believes one of them might be the reincarnation of an incredibly powerful individual, whom prophecies say will either save humanity or destroy it...The series draws on numerous elements of European and Asian culture and philosophy, most notably the cyclical nature of time found in Buddhism and Hinduism

https://tvline.com/2018/10/02/the-wh...tation-amazon/
Zookster likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-02-2018, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 292
I loved the first few books when I was young, then got tired of them. I hope they can do it right, and it's certainly a good investment from a mind-share point of view with strong women these days, although I hope they don't make it too corny or cheesy.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-02-2018, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

great to see Amazon investing so much into fantasy with Lord of the Rings and now Wheel of Time...I'm shocked no one has ever adapted this into a TV series (on one of the prestige networks) or into a series of movies...if done right this has the potential to be the next Game of Thrones!...too bad Robert Jordan is not around to reap the financial rewards like George RR Martin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-02-2018, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1568 Post(s)
Liked: 1475
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
if done right this has the potential to be the next Game of Thrones!...too bad Robert Jordan is not around to reap the financial rewards like George RR Martin
Too bad he isn't around to consult on the story or even write episodes. I think a lot of the greatness we see with Game of Thrones, the Expanse, and Handmaid's Tale, is that the authors of the original story material are still around to have a hand in the final product. Robert Jordan didn't even actually finish writing the book series.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-02-2018, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
Too bad he isn't around to consult on the story or even write episodes. I think a lot of the greatness we see with Game of Thrones, the Expanse, and Handmaid's Tale, is that the authors of the original story material are still around to have a hand in the final product. Robert Jordan didn't even actually finish writing the book series.
I agree but I also think a good adaptation could be made as long as a book series is complete and the showrunners of the TV/movie are actual hard core fans of the source material...we've seen bad book adaptations with the author still alive and consulting...plus with something like Game of Thrones, how much input does GRRM even have on the show...I'm sure he gets drafts and such but I'm not sure if he actually dictates story...I know the Expanse writers play a big role with the TV adaptation but I think that's a rarity
post #6 of 10 Old 10-03-2018, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
Will be interesting to see if Brandon Sanderson will serve as a consultant. He was picked by Jordan's widow to finish the series, and I thought he did a better job writing Jordan than Jordan did post book 6.
Zookster and mik2h like this.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-30-2019, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

latest news is that production starts up this September...the series will be shot at least partially in Prague...if done right this will be the next Game of Thrones...Wheel of Time is a TV adaptation of Robert Jordan's (and Brandon Sanderson) Wheel of Time, an epic 14-book fantasy series...get ready...
post #8 of 10 Old 01-30-2019, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 382
A lot of good material to work with there. Should be cool!
post #9 of 10 Old 04-14-2019, 08:09 PM
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 519
I just came here from learning about this show in the GoT thread. I'll watch it because I loved the Jordan books, mostly. I will usually suffer through something bad until the end if I can get invested early. I was not a fan of Sanderson's work, and I did suffer through his books to complete my journey.

This will not rival GoT. There's no way it can compare, story-wise. It won't have as broad an audience, not even close.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #10 of 10 Old 06-19-2019, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Gone Girl‘s Rosamund Pike will play the lead role of Moiraine in Amazon’s forthcoming series adaptation of The Wheel of Time, which is based on Robert Jordan’s fantasy novels...The Wheel of Time, which was greenlit at Amazon last October, is set in a “sprawling, epic world where magic exists and only certain women are allowed to access it,” per the official logline

the story follows Pike’s Moiraine, “a member of the incredibly powerful all-female organization called the Aes Sedai, as she arrives in the small town of Two Rivers...There, she embarks on a dangerous, world-spanning journey with five young men and women, one of whom is prophesied to be the Dragon Reborn, who will either save or destroy humanity”...

https://ew.com/tv/2019/06/19/rosamun...wheel-of-time/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page