The Mandalorian- Star Wars TV series - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 208Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #271 of 387 Old 11-29-2019, 11:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
bryantc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Europa
Posts: 805
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Another great episode, despite the recent news I think this might have been one of the best liking as well.
What recent news?

After this episode its now clear to me what kind of show this is. They obviously only put Yoda in there to string people like me along hoping for some big revelation. But it doesn't look like we will be getting that anytime soon if ever.

Some nitpicks:
-So his helmet has infrared vision but it can't magnify? He was using a monocular earlier. Seems kinda silly
-Why couldn't he just throw some grenades and sticky bombs at the walker without this elaborate plan? Seems like he is more than capable of taking it down with all his tech. He also has a space ship....
-I still need an explanation for this tracking fob situation. Who puts these on the bounties? Can anybody be tracked?
shivaji and darthrsg like this.

Media: LG 88" 8K OLED Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" 4K OLED C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
bryantc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 387 Old 11-30-2019, 12:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Leaky Tiki
Posts: 17,178
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7245 Post(s)
Liked: 16468
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantc View Post
What recent news?

After this episode its now clear to me what kind of show this is. They obviously only put Yoda in there to string people like me along hoping for some big revelation. But it doesn't look like we will be getting that anytime soon if ever.

Some nitpicks:
-So his helmet has infrared vision but it can't magnify? He was using a monocular earlier. Seems kinda silly
-Why couldn't he just throw some grenades and sticky bombs at the walker without this elaborate plan? Seems like he is more than capable of taking it down with all his tech. He also has a space ship....
-I still need an explanation for this tracking fob situation. Who puts these on the bounties? Can anybody be tracked?
I’ve been wondering this for the last couple episodes. With that aside, I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. One of my fav new shows. Also, the “fake” HDR memo must have missed us, the explosions were pretty dang bright. Or maybe I’m still in a tryptophan coma.
Ph8te and d-rail34 like this.

__________________________________________________
Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Waboman is offline  
post #273 of 387 Old 11-30-2019, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Barrel of Burning Trash On A Cold Skid Row Street
Posts: 13,283
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3150 Post(s)
Liked: 4946
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantc View Post
What recent news?

After this episode its now clear to me what kind of show this is. They obviously only put Yoda in there to string people like me along hoping for some big revelation. But it doesn't look like we will be getting that anytime soon if ever.

Some nitpicks:
-So his helmet has infrared vision but it can't magnify? He was using a monocular earlier. Seems kinda silly
-Why couldn't he just throw some grenades and sticky bombs at the walker without this elaborate plan? Seems like he is more than capable of taking it down with all his tech. He also has a space ship....
-I still need an explanation for this tracking fob situation. Who puts these on the bounties? Can anybody be tracked?

Helmet: This is the way.


Elaborate plan: This is the way.


Tracking: Mandachlorians


Recent news: might be Ruin Johnson getting out there saying he wants in on season 2.

Last edited by darthrsg; 11-30-2019 at 06:16 AM.
darthrsg is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #274 of 387 Old 11-30-2019, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shivaji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: So. California
Posts: 2,549
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked: 1214
There were good moments in this last episode, wasn't a best of series for me. Little Yoda was looking mighty puppety in this one. I thought it funny that the walker had no windshield of any kind, you'd think that would be important.
Spoiler!
shivaji is offline  
post #275 of 387 Old 11-30-2019, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,561
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6646 Post(s)
Liked: 6458
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
There were good moments in this last episode, wasn't a best of series for me. Little Yoda was looking mighty puppety in this one. I thought it funny that the walker had no windshield of any kind, you'd think that would be important.
Spoiler!

I don’t think you need spoilers. I would assume that’s because 1 it’s a second hand ATAT and 2) I’m not sure they always had glass (they do have a metal shield, but both were missing).


Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantc View Post
What recent news?

After this episode its now clear to me what kind of show this is. They obviously only put Yoda in there to string people like me along hoping for some big revelation. But it doesn't look like we will be getting that anytime soon if ever.

Some nitpicks:
-So his helmet has infrared vision but it can't magnify? He was using a monocular earlier. Seems kinda silly
-Why couldn't he just throw some grenades and sticky bombs at the walker without this elaborate plan? Seems like he is more than capable of taking it down with all his tech. He also has a space ship....
-I still need an explanation for this tracking fob situation. Who puts these on the bounties? Can anybody be tracked?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
I’ve been wondering this for the last couple episodes. With that aside, I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. One of my fav new shows. Also, the “fake” HDR memo must have missed us, the explosions were pretty dang bright. Or maybe I’m still in a tryptophan coma.


Bry, see Waboman’s comment above. It’s in relation to the “fake” (but not really) HDR news that’s been making the rounds. I too thought much of the battles last night were bright, but maybe my eyes deceived me.
Ph8te is offline  
post #276 of 387 Old 11-30-2019, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
srw1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,975
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Sanctuary was a bit of a letdown for the season, with the episode feeling more like a TV show than any of the previous ones.

Additionally, the story was a bit too close to the Bounty Hunters episode of The Clone Wars, with a farming village under attack by raiders and the pacifist villagers being taught how to fight back. That story isn't exactly original anyway, but with it already having been done in a prior Star Wars TV series, it just felt unnecessary.

Spoiler!


I did like the smaller moments of the story, and It seems like that's one of the aspects that they'll start to build on as the story progresses.

Scott
shivaji likes this.

srw1000 is offline  
post #277 of 387 Old 11-30-2019, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
srw1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,975
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 135
With the ongoing success of The Mandalorian, and the huge amounts of love shown for Baby Yoda in particular, Disney leadership and J.J. Abrams have quickly done some important reshoots.

Not really a spoiler, but get ready for:

Spoiler!
darthrsg likes this.

srw1000 is offline  
post #278 of 387 Old 11-30-2019, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dragonbud0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 2,485
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by srw1000 View Post
Sanctuary was a bit of a letdown for the season, with the episode feeling more like a TV show than any of the previous ones.

Additionally, the story was a bit too close to the Bounty Hunters episode of The Clone Wars, with a farming village under attack by raiders and the pacifist villagers being taught how to fight back. That story isn't exactly original anyway, but with it already having been done in a prior Star Wars TV series, it just felt unnecessary.

Spoiler!


I did like the smaller moments of the story, and It seems like that's one of the aspects that they'll start to build on as the story progresses.

Scott
I'm equally disappointed with the 3rd episode. As others pointed out Baby Yoda is a big hit bit is a bit late for this Halloween and Xmas.
dragonbud0 is offline  
post #279 of 387 Old 11-30-2019, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
TitusTroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 10,497
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5144 Post(s)
Liked: 4605
Quote:
Originally Posted by srw1000 View Post
Sanctuary was a bit of a letdown for the season, with the episode feeling more like a TV show than any of the previous ones.

Additionally, the story was a bit too close to the Bounty Hunters episode of The Clone Wars, with a farming village under attack by raiders and the pacifist villagers being taught how to fight back. That story isn't exactly original anyway, but with it already having been done in a prior Star Wars TV series, it just felt unnecessary.

I did like the smaller moments of the story, and It seems like that's one of the aspects that they'll start to build on as the story progresses
I'm enjoying the show but I don't see where they are going with this long term...seems like every week is a mini bottle episode with Mando and the kid traveling from 1 spot to another, engaging in some SW adventure filled with Easter Eggs and moving on to their next location...they also made it seem like there would be a lot of major co-stars in this but everyone is pretty much a 1 week cameo and then they disappear- Nick Nolte, Gina Carano, the droid played by Taika Waititi etc (we haven't even seen Giancarlo Esposito's character yet)

and where is baby Yoda in the current timeline as far Force Awakens/Last Jedi etc...seems like a major character with long term implications in the SW universe
TitusTroy is offline  
post #280 of 387 Old 12-01-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Barrel of Burning Trash On A Cold Skid Row Street
Posts: 13,283
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3150 Post(s)
Liked: 4946
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
I'm enjoying the show but I don't see where they are going with this long term...seems like every week is a mini bottle episode with Mando and the kid traveling from 1 spot to another, engaging in some SW adventure filled with Easter Eggs and moving on to their next location...they also made it seem like there would be a lot of major co-stars in this but everyone is pretty much a 1 week cameo and then they disappear- Nick Nolte, Gina Carano, the droid played by Taika Waititi etc (we haven't even seen Giancarlo Esposito's character yet)



and where is baby Yoda in the current timeline as far Force Awakens/Last Jedi etc...seems like a major character with long term implications in the SW universe
I believe that's the plan. String you along for 8 seasons or until you make a tweeter mad then get canceled.

One can only hope they have a plan but I'm ok with the Bill Bixby Hulk wandering samurai treatment for now.
darthrsg is online now  
post #281 of 387 Old 12-01-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
WilliamR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 12,474
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1998 Post(s)
Liked: 2509
The first half of the latest episode with Baby Yoda was laugh out loud funny. Especially when he said don't touch it and Baby Yoda looks at him and moves so slowly. Then when he says stay here, don't move. Good stuff!

WilliamR is offline  
post #282 of 387 Old 12-01-2019, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hooked01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Anyone here familiar with Star Wars Extended Universe Lore regarding the Mandalorians? They are not a race, right? More of a “religion”?

Plus, In this series, it is said that the Mandos do not remove their helmet in front of anyone or else they can never put it back on again. Has it always been “This is the way”? Or did it come about after The Purge by the Empire? In Episode II, Jango Fett certainly walked around without his.
hooked01 is offline  
post #283 of 387 Old 12-01-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,561
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6646 Post(s)
Liked: 6458
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post
Anyone here familiar with Star Wars Extended Universe Lore regarding the Mandalorians? They are not a race, right? More of a “religion”?



Plus, In this series, it is said that the Mandos do not remove their helmet in front of anyone or else they can never put it back on again. Has it always been “This is the way”? Or did it come about after The Purge by the Empire? In Episode II, Jango Fett certainly walked around without his.


Jango/Boba were bounty hunters that wore the Armor, but NOT Mandalorians.

Mandalorians ARE a race of people from Mandalore


For more see:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Mandalorian


https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Mandalorian/Legends


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandalorian
hooked01 likes this.
Ph8te is offline  
post #284 of 387 Old 12-01-2019, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,561
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6646 Post(s)
Liked: 6458
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
I'm enjoying the show but I don't see where they are going with this long term...seems like every week is a mini bottle episode with Mando and the kid traveling from 1 spot to another, engaging in some SW adventure filled with Easter Eggs and moving on to their next location...they also made it seem like there would be a lot of major co-stars in this but everyone is pretty much a 1 week cameo and then they disappear- Nick Nolte, Gina Carano, the droid played by Taika Waititi etc (we haven't even seen Giancarlo Esposito's character yet)



and where is baby Yoda in the current timeline as far Force Awakens/Last Jedi etc...seems like a major character with long term implications in the SW universe


It’s a procedural/serial mix. Each week has a story with a “thread” or “threads” that run the entire season.

I would say you’re jumping a bit early about reoccurring characters. There are still what at least 4 episodes left for people to come back.
Ph8te is offline  
post #285 of 387 Old 12-01-2019, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Barrel of Burning Trash On A Cold Skid Row Street
Posts: 13,283
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3150 Post(s)
Liked: 4946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Jango/Boba were bounty hunters that wore the Armor, but NOT Mandalorians.

Mandalorians ARE a race of people from Mandalore


For more see:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Mandalorian


https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Mandalorian/Legends


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandalorian

So more of a creed like Americans BUT since the EU is nuked it can be whatever they want much to the chagrin of the keyboard warriors.


https://swtor.fandom.com/wiki/Akaavi_Spar


Quote:
are characterized in the expanded universe as a multi-species warrior people

Last edited by darthrsg; 12-01-2019 at 11:13 AM.
darthrsg is online now  
post #286 of 387 Old 12-01-2019, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,561
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6646 Post(s)
Liked: 6458
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
So more of a creed like Americans BUT since the EU is nuked it can be whatever they want much to the chagrin of the keyboard warriors.


https://swtor.fandom.com/wiki/Akaavi_Spar


Always have to be careful with EU stuff, as much of the old EU is now Legacy and not canon. I’d say from what I have heard on podcasts Mandalorians are usually born/raised on Mandalore and not just “made” when adults.
Ph8te is offline  
post #287 of 387 Old 12-01-2019, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Barrel of Burning Trash On A Cold Skid Row Street
Posts: 13,283
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3150 Post(s)
Liked: 4946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Always have to be careful with EU stuff, as much of the old EU is now Legacy and not canon. I’d say from what I have heard on podcasts Mandalorians are usually born/raised on Mandalore and not just “made” when adults.
Filoni knows what to do.
darthrsg is online now  
post #288 of 387 Old 12-03-2019, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
WilliamR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 12,474
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1998 Post(s)
Liked: 2509
The Mandalorian has a coffee cup-style goof in episode 4


Sharp-eyed fans of The Mandalorian spotted something in a scene from episode 4 that presumably wasn’t supposed to be there.


In the Dec. 13 episode titled “Sanctuary,” a visible boom microphone lowers into a shot as The Mandalorian (Pedro Pascal) chats with Omera (Julia Jones), a widowed mother.


Unless the microphone is some exotic hover droid we have yet to learn anything about, the goof is around 16:37 in the episode, which was directed by Bryce Dallas Howard.


The incident recalls the infamous anachronistic coffee cup spotted in a shot from Game of Thrones season 8 that became a viral worldwide story. HBO digitally erased the cup the next day, but the boom mic is still in the Disney series.



Still, it’s a blink-and-you-missed-it error in a series that’s become a pop culture win for the recently launched Disney+, if media and social media attention to the show is any indication.


Perhaps The Mandalorian‘s editor wears a helmet too?


https://ew.com/tv/2019/12/03/the-man...ode-4-mistake/


(video in the link above)

WilliamR is offline  
post #289 of 387 Old 12-04-2019, 05:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
WilliamR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 12,474
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1998 Post(s)
Liked: 2509
New ‘Mandalorian’ Baby Yoda Plush Toy Available On Pre-Order


The force is strong for all things Baby Yoda from The Mandalorian, and fans are in luck with a new plush doll heading to store shelves.


Disney has given the greenlight to a cuddly version of the 50-year-old green infant. The tiny creature has become a huge internet sensation after debuting in Star Wars: The Mandalorian on the Disney+ streaming service.


You can pre-order the Baby Yoda plush toy, but it won’t be available until months after Christmas.


The 11-inch toy from Mattel costs $24.99 and is slated to be available by April 1, 2020, according to the listing on ShopDisney.com.


https://deadline.com/2019/12/new-man...er-1202800152/

WilliamR is offline  
post #290 of 387 Old 12-04-2019, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Barrel of Burning Trash On A Cold Skid Row Street
Posts: 13,283
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3150 Post(s)
Liked: 4946
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
The Mandalorian has a coffee cup-style goof in episode 4


Sharp-eyed fans of The Mandalorian spotted something in a scene from episode 4 that presumably wasn’t supposed to be there.


In the Dec. 13 episode titled “Sanctuary,” a visible boom microphone lowers into a shot as The Mandalorian (Pedro Pascal) chats with Omera (Julia Jones), a widowed mother.


Unless the microphone is some exotic hover droid we have yet to learn anything about, the goof is around 16:37 in the episode, which was directed by Bryce Dallas Howard.


The incident recalls the infamous anachronistic coffee cup spotted in a shot from Game of Thrones season 8 that became a viral worldwide story. HBO digitally erased the cup the next day, but the boom mic is still in the Disney series.



Still, it’s a blink-and-you-missed-it error in a series that’s become a pop culture win for the recently launched Disney+, if media and social media attention to the show is any indication.


Perhaps The Mandalorian‘s editor wears a helmet too?


https://ew.com/tv/2019/12/03/the-man...ode-4-mistake/


(video in the link above)



It's exactly this lack of attention to detail and reverence for the source material that will make me cancel D+ as soon as the series is over.
darthrsg is online now  
post #291 of 387 Old 12-04-2019, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
WilliamR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 12,474
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1998 Post(s)
Liked: 2509
The new Baby Yoda Funko Pop sold out after just one day on Amazon — but it’s back in stock

The force is strong with the Child — or Baby Yoda, as the creature is more affectionately known.
Dolls based off of the popular character from the Disney+ series The Mandalorian were announced yesterday, including an 11-inch plush toy available for pre-order at shopdisney.com and two Funko Pops, in normal-sized and “super-sized” versions. After landing on Amazon yesterday, the smaller $9 Funko Pop sold out almost instantly — but luckily, it’s just been restocked. Even though the figurine isn’t expected to ship until May 15, 2020, you’ll want to pre-order it as soon as possible, based on how quickly the initial stock disappeared.

Funko also released a bigger, 10-inch figurine, which is also available for pre-order and currently on sale for 25 percent off.

Ever since the Child made its debut in the premiere episode of The Mandalorian, the internet has been in a frenzy over the baby-like character that resembles Yoda but is not actually his offspring, as far as viewers currently know. All that is known about the creature is that it’s wanted by a remnant of the Galactic Empire for reasons that have yet to be revealed.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/12/04/baby-yo...ko-pop-amazon/

WilliamR is offline  
post #292 of 387 Old 12-04-2019, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DesertDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,175
Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked: 2184
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
New ‘Mandalorian’ Baby Yoda Plush Toy Available On Pre-Order


The force is strong for all things Baby Yoda from The Mandalorian, and fans are in luck with a new plush doll heading to store shelves.


Disney has given the greenlight to a cuddly version of the 50-year-old green infant. The tiny creature has become a huge internet sensation after debuting in Star Wars: The Mandalorian on the Disney+ streaming service.


You can pre-order the Baby Yoda plush toy, but it won’t be available until months after Christmas.


The 11-inch toy from Mattel costs $24.99 and is slated to be available by April 1, 2020, according to the listing on ShopDisney.com.


https://deadline.com/2019/12/new-man...er-1202800152/
What is Disney doing??? First, April? They need to get their sweat shops fired up to rush these things out for Christmas. By April the series is long over a baby Yoda won't be trending every week. Second, it's a vinyl head. They need one that's all plush. No orders from my house on this one.
darthrsg likes this.

#IHateNalleh
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
DesertDog is offline  
post #293 of 387 Old 12-04-2019, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Barrel of Burning Trash On A Cold Skid Row Street
Posts: 13,283
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3150 Post(s)
Liked: 4946
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
What is Disney doing??? First, April? They need to get their sweat shops fired up to rush these things out for Christmas. By April the series is long over a baby Yoda won't be trending every week. Second, it's a vinyl head. They need one that's all plush. No orders from my house on this one.
It's exactly this lack of attention to true fans that will be the demise of Disney+. As soon as the series is over.
darthrsg is online now  
post #294 of 387 Old 12-04-2019, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Tack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Valencia, Ca
Posts: 11,291
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4847 Post(s)
Liked: 6524
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
What is Disney doing??? First, April? They need to get their sweat shops fired up to rush these things out for Christmas. By April the series is long over a baby Yoda won't be trending every week. Second, it's a vinyl head. They need one that's all plush. No orders from my house on this one.
I think it's great that they kept it a secret, but they also had time to keep it a secret AND deliver the toys by Christmas. Somebody goofed there, that's a lot of cash. I'm not in the market for one either way, just seems like a missed opportunity.
Tack is offline  
post #295 of 387 Old 12-04-2019, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Leaky Tiki
Posts: 17,178
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7245 Post(s)
Liked: 16468
Yeah, I preordered the Funko baby Yoda. I haven’t given The Mouse money in awhile and he looked hungry.

__________________________________________________
Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Waboman is offline  
post #296 of 387 Old 12-04-2019, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
TitusTroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 10,497
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5144 Post(s)
Liked: 4605
not revealing any potential toy/marketing spoilers prior to release is one of the smartest things Disney has done since buying Lucasfilm...toy sales took a backseat to integrity of the story...
TitusTroy is offline  
post #297 of 387 Old 12-04-2019, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hooked01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
What is Disney doing??? First, April? They need to get their sweat shops fired up to rush these things out for Christmas. By April the series is long over a baby Yoda won't be trending every week. Second, it's a vinyl head. They need one that's all plush. No orders from my house on this one.
Par for the course for Star Wars it seems. I just watched the documentary on the original trilogy and it discussed how no company wanted to license merchandise for the original movie until finally Kenner took the chance. But it was too late to have toys available for the Christmas ‘77 season, so they sold boxes with certificates that you had to fill out and mail in to eventually get the toys months later.
hooked01 is offline  
post #298 of 387 Old 12-04-2019, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hooked01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked: 866
I don’t get why everyone is hating on Baby Yoda as a marketing stunt. The story calls for the Mandalorian to free a young, force-sensitive kid and go on the run. If it wasn’t BY, it would be some other cute creature since it’s supposed to be really young. And the Porgs are also mentioned in the same breath, but they were sort of forced to introduce them because the island that Luke was on had real life puffins all over, so they decided to come up with some flying creature so they didn’t have to photoshop out all the birds from the scenery.
hooked01 is offline  
post #299 of 387 Old 12-04-2019, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,561
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6646 Post(s)
Liked: 6458
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
What is Disney doing??? First, April? They need to get their sweat shops fired up to rush these things out for Christmas. By April the series is long over a baby Yoda won't be trending every week. Second, it's a vinyl head. They need one that's all plush. No orders from my house on this one.


They were asked by the creators to hold off on the toys until the “baby” was revealed. Listing to one of the podcasts on the show, many leaks come from toy manufacturers. The creators wanted to prevent this and Disney complied. I’m sure they wanted to have it ready for now, but IMO made the right decision in holding off.
Ph8te is offline  
post #300 of 387 Old 12-04-2019, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Defcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 3,061
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1664 Post(s)
Liked: 954
Real title of ep4 - 'Mando turns Stupid'

"I know this kid has a tracker that can be tracked across the galaxy, and every bounty hunter is after the kid, and my entire fellow clan just sacrificed their lives and gave up their home to save me. But I'll ignore all that and go to some random planet and forget about the tracker.

Then I'll leave the most valuable wanted baby in the galaxy in random stranger’s hands.

When I find out about a threat, instead of quickly dealing with it with my ship full of weapons, I'll endanger a village of innocents, not to mention the baby and yet another colleague who risks her life for me.

Oh I'll also proceed to take off my bloody helmet in front of a huge window 2ft from the entire village after insulting and rejecting the only capable person in the entire village and who happened to be the most desirable woman who actually showed an interest in me.

I'll act like a novice not a seasoned and skilled killer.

Because of course all the writers have to do is add a few scenes of baby yoda cooing and no one will care!"
Defcon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Programming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off