The Mandalorian- Star Wars TV series - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 162Likes

post #31 of 332 Old 09-07-2019, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1184 Post(s)
Liked: 1214
that remains to be seen....if Filoni and Favreau left alone by Kennedy to pursue what they wanted to show we might have a decent chance for a real SW storytelling here as opposed to the junk Lucasfilm has produced the last 5 years [ exception of Rebels]. Cautiously optimistic here.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 332 Old 09-07-2019, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 5126 Post(s)
Liked: 4574
so since Mandalorian premieres in November and presumably ends in January 2020, what does Disney+ plan on showing after that?...looking at their release schedule the next big original series to drop, Falcon and the Winter Soldier only premieres in Fall 2020...so they're going to go ~10 months with no new originals?...everything else has a 2021 release date- Marvel’s WandaVision– Spring 2021, Loki– Spring 2021 etc...Disney must really be banking on people watching their catalog titles...I know I'm going to subscribe in November for Mandalorian and cancel in January...I'll re-up when the new Obi-Wan series drops

Disney+ is no Netflix or even Amazon where there's initially no incentive to stay subscribed...no wonder they're trying to bait people into signing up for 3 years
post #33 of 332 Old 09-09-2019, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked: 2493
Jon Favreau plans to direct a Mandalorian season 2 episode himself

Jon Favreau might be getting into the director’s chair for The Mandalorian.

While the Disney+ Star Wars drama series has yet to be renewed for season 2, showrunner Favreau has already been working on the scripts for another round and even expects to direct an episode himself.

“We’re working on season 2, writing, prepping with the directors and getting ready to direct myself, actually,” said the Iron Man and Jungle Book director. “I didn’t get a chance the last time around because I was doing Lion King. So I’ll step in for one of them.”

The second season isn’t yet announced or confirmed by Disney+ or Lucasfilm, let alone a director’s list, so keep in mind this is all tentative (but tentatively quite exciting).

Season 1 of the upcoming Nov. 12 series starring Pedro Pascal as a lone Outer Rim bounty hunter has another famed Marvel director, Taika Waititi (Thor Ragnarok), helming the show’s first season finale (in addition to voicing the lethal droid IG-11). Other S1 directors include The Clone Wars mastermind Dave Filoni diving into live-action for the first time by directing two episodes.

For Filoni, shooting real live actors was a unique experience for the 15-year Lucasfilm veteran, who has arguably told more Star Wars stories than anybody else given his work across multiple animated shows. “Having a character you wrote walk up and talk to you in full costume on a set that you imagined that was a wonderful thing,” Filoni says.

There are also episodes directed by Rick Famuyiwa (Dope), Deborah Chow (Jessica Jones), and Bryce Dallas Howard (Solemates).

https://ew.com/tv/2019/09/09/jon-fav...rian-season-2/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 332 Old 10-16-2019, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Chairman and CEO of The Walt Disney Company Bob Iger is bullish on the potential of Disney+ as the streaming wars heat up...Here’s what Iger had to say about The Mandalorian in a chat about the future of streaming

THR reports that The Mandalorian is rumored to cost $15 million an episode; at eight episodes (so far), that tallies up to $120 million...that’s a steal compared to the Marvel properties that are lined up...Marvel series The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, WandaVision and Hawkeye at as much as $25 million per episode, totaling $500 million...Pretty pricey for TV, though Disney+ brass has previously touted movie-sized budgets for their programs, but there’s a hidden cost...Disney is reportedly buying out the backend on all of their original productions, similar to Netflix’s model...Essentially, this means they’ll offer creatives (and possibly lead cast members) more money up front in order to secure future earnings in perpetuity...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fe...eaming-1247663
post #35 of 332 Old 10-18-2019, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4344 Post(s)
Liked: 3085
So has anyone crunched the numbers on how many subscribers they need at $7 a month to make enough money to pay for all these shows?
post #36 of 332 Old 10-18-2019, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6626 Post(s)
Liked: 6440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
So has anyone crunched the numbers on how many subscribers they need at $7 a month to make enough money to pay for all these shows?

I’m not sure that will matter if they are using it for a lock-in/loss leader. They can take a loss on Disney+ to get people more involved with their plethora of IP. That involvement leads to spending money in other areas of the companies umbrella.

Let’s say they eventually get the 60-80 million customers all paying $7/month (for the first few years they won’t). That would make them 420-560 million a month. Easily paying for the small slate of original shows they have planned right now. More money will be able to be put towards original content as they will not be paying those “licensed rental” fees for borrowed content (at least not yet). Of course when you start to expand your service you then think about region specific original content which will make costs go up. Infrastructure costs are also up there.
post #37 of 332 Old 10-18-2019, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Disney is taking a short-term hit in favor of its long-term prospects...Analyst Laura Martin of Needham told THR that Disney+ subscriptions could reach as many as 30 million by 2024, with Disney’s streaming market share rising from 1% in 2019 to more than 9% five years from now...At launch, Disney+ will cost $7 per month on its own with the option of a $13 monthly bundle that includes Disney+, ESPN+ and the ad-supported version of Hulu...Bottom line: Disney is undercutting the competition in pricing while housing the most high-profile blockbuster content...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...edium=referral
post #38 of 332 Old 10-21-2019, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter

The Mandalorian first reactions from critics: 'Awesome, amazing...'

Early reactions to The Mandalorian are in...the media got an extended look at the live-action Star Wars drama series at a junket this weekend, and their first-blush responses sound overwhelmingly positive...EW got to see most of this footage a couple months ago and can confirm: It’s most impressive — The Mandalorian feels a bit like 1977’s A New Hope, a space-Western throwback to the original trilogy...

https://ew.com/tv/2019/10/20/the-man...esome-amazing/
Buckeye Dave likes this.
post #39 of 332 Old 10-22-2019, 03:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Don't care of the "critics" the split between them and "audience" scores are ever polarizing , so I just have to see this for my self. Not much more to go...
locomo and DesertDog like this.

The Hun
post #40 of 332 Old 10-22-2019, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
Don't care of the "critics" the split between them and "audience" scores are ever polarizing , so I just have to see this for my self. Not much more to go...
have faith...I have a feeling that Mandalorian is going to be really good and the best SW property since the original trilogy
post #41 of 332 Old 10-22-2019, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
have faith...I have a feeling that Mandalorian is going to be really good and the best SW property since the original trilogy
Like I said last month I remain "cautiously optimistic" despite the major misfires in recent years from LF.

BTW the best property is the Clone Wars series IMO, which will be back , I have high hopes on that.

The Hun
post #42 of 332 Old 10-28-2019, 01:39 PM

The Mandalorian opens with a major revelation about the Star Wars universe.

According to The New York Times, the first episode of the Disney+ series “contains a dramatic Star Wars-universe spoiler.”

https://ew.com/tv/2019/10/28/mandalo...oiler-episode/

post #43 of 332 Old 10-28-2019, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

they really are locking down all leaks, spoilers etc...Disney is treating Mandalorian like one of the theatrical movies...even Rise of Skywalker is not getting this level of secrecy...I wonder what the major SW spoiler in Episode 1 is?...Boba Fett is alive?...if Darth Maul and Emperor Palpatine can survive getting cut in half and thrown down the Death Star's reactor core then anything is possible...seems like Disney wants to revive all the iconic villains so why not have Boba Fett survive his fall into the Sarlacc Pit
post #44 of 332 Old 10-28-2019, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked: 2236
post #45 of 332 Old 10-29-2019, 05:21 AM

The Mandalorian has released five character posters offering new looks at some of the show’s core cast.

The images for the Disney+ Star Wars series show the Mandalorian himself (Pedro Pascal), former Rebel Shock Trooper turned mercenary Cara Dune (Gina Carano), bounty hunter leader Greef Carga (Carl Weathers), lethal bounty hunter droid IG-11 (voiced by Taika Waititi), and an alien character whose actor has not yet been confirmed.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/10/28/the-man...acter-posters/

post #46 of 332 Old 11-04-2019, 12:02 PM

The Mandalorian reveals first details on Ming-Na Wen's character

The Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. star plays a stealth assassin in the live-action Star Wars series.

“Your name will be legendary,” Ming-Na Wen says in her first appearance on The Mandalorian by way of a new TV spot. So, will Wen’s character.

Disney and Lucasfilm revealed the first look and details on the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. star’s role in the live-action Star Wars series via Vanity Fair on Monday. Wen debuts as Fennec Shand, a stealth assassin who takes her character inspiration from a fennec fox. “She’s tricky, and yet she’s able to maneuver and survive, and be stealthy — so very graceful and agile,” the actress told VF. “I just love that whole image with the name.”

In the world of Star Wars, Fennec made her living killing for the galaxy’s top crime syndicates. She’s more loyal to herself than others, but it remains to be seen whether this mercenary is inherently good or bad. As with many friends and foes in the galaxy far, far away, the grey area seems closest to where this one falls.

Wen’s role was first revealed during the D23 Expo festivities in August, though no other details were made available at the time.

Fennec is one of many shadowy figures encountered by Pedro Pascal’s masked Mandalorian bounty hunter in the series, which also includes filmmaker Werner Herzog as one of his mysterious clients, Gina Carano as former Rebel Shock Trooper Cara Dune, Nick Nolte as the voice of an Ugnaught alien named Kuiil, Thor: Ragnarok director (and director of an episode of The Mandalorian) Taika Waititi as the voice of an IG-11 droid, and Carl Weathers as Greef Carga, leader of a guild of bounty hunters.

Wen also notes how this role marks another step towards more Asian representation in the Star Wars universe on screen. “Any sort of representation is important and necessary. And I’m just happy that I got chosen. It was meant to be,” she says.

Jon Favreau heads The Mandalorian as showrunner, while Dave Filoni of Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels fame directs the first episode.

The Mandalorian will premiere on the Disney+ streaming platform when it drops on Nov. 12.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/11/04/the-man...-fennec-shand/

post #47 of 332 Old 11-05-2019, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

The first episode of The Mandalorian will launch with the Disney+ service on November 12th and the second episode will release a few days later on November 15th...here's the full schedule:

Episode 1 – Nov. 12
Episode 2 – Nov. 15
Episode 3 – Nov. 22
Episode 4 – Nov. 29
Episode 5 – Dec. 6
Episode 6 – Dec. 13
Episode 7 – Dec. 18
Episode 8 – Dec. 27
post #48 of 332 Old 11-11-2019, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

it's time to officially get hyped!!...Disney+ launches tomorrow or maybe even earlier depending on when Disney decided to unlock it

Mandalorian is the biggest profile show from either of the new streaming platforms (Apple TV+, Disney+)...I love that Disney is not sending out screeners to critics-- keeps spoilers from getting out and preserves the surprise of the show...I'm expecting big things from this series both in terms of SW canon and 4K/Dolby Vision quality...let's go!
mesaboy likes this.
post #49 of 332 Old 11-11-2019, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6300 Post(s)
Liked: 6961
Quote:
The first episode of The Mandalorian will launch with the Disney+ service on November 12th and the second episode will release a few days later on November 15th...here's the full schedule:

Episode 1 – Nov. 12
Episode 2 – Nov. 15
Episode 3 – Nov. 22
Episode 4 – Nov. 29
Episode 5 – Dec. 6
Episode 6 – Dec. 13
Episode 7 – Dec. 18
Episode 8 – Dec. 27
Okay. So, no need to subscribe to Disney before the first of the year. Then, one month, binge this show, & out.
slowbiscuit likes this.
post #50 of 332 Old 11-11-2019, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Okay. So, no need to subscribe to Disney before the first of the year. Then, one month, binge this show, & out.
you can probably find 699 pennies ($6.99 a month) in between the couch cushions in your Charlotte villa
post #51 of 332 Old 11-11-2019, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4450 Post(s)
Liked: 3377
Quote:
you can probably find 699 pennies ($6.99 a month) in between the couch cushions in your Charlotte villa
Anyone who has or signs up for an Unlimited plan with Verizon will get a year of Disney+ free. New (but not existing) Fios Home Internet plans also get the promotion.
TitusTroy and crunchman12001 like this.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #52 of 332 Old 11-11-2019, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Anyone who has or signs up for an Unlimited plan with Verizon will get a year of Disney+ free. New (but not existing) Fios Home Internet plans also get the promotion.
I currently have FiOS cable/internet/phone and tried calling to see if they would give me the free year but nope...I could cancel my service for a few days to be considered a new customer but it's more hassle then it's worth especially considering it's only $6.99 a month
post #53 of 332 Old 11-11-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I currently have FiOS cable/internet/phone and tried calling to see if they would give me the free year but nope...I could cancel my service for a few days to be considered a new customer but it's more hassle then it's worth especially considering it's only $6.99 a month
Is the phone portion a landline or wireless? Any Unlimited wireless package should qualify.

Josh Z

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #54 of 332 Old 11-11-2019, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Is the phone portion a landline or wireless? Any Unlimited wireless package should qualify.
it's a landline...I don't use Verizon for my wireless
post #55 of 332 Old 11-11-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
it's a landline...I don't use Verizon for my wireless
Bummer. The only other freebie offer for Disney+ that I'm aware of is a 7-day trial.

Josh Z

post #56 of 332 Old 11-11-2019, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1260 Post(s)
Liked: 703
Signed up a couple of months ago for the $3.91/month for 3 years special Disney had going. Can't beat a price like that.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
post #57 of 332 Old 11-11-2019, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

The Mandalorian | Special Look | Disney+

post #58 of 332 Old 11-11-2019, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4844 Post(s)
Liked: 6508
Quote:
The Mandalorian | Special Look | Disney+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RVnrBLOBcI
Looks like a Clint Eastwood western... in space.
post #59 of 332 Old 11-11-2019, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Looks like a Clint Eastwood western... in space.
I think showrunner Jon Favreau and a few of the cast members have called the series a Space Western...
post #60 of 332 Old 11-11-2019, 08:36 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4844 Post(s)
Liked: 6508
Quote:
I think showrunner Jon Favreau and a few of the cast members have called the series a Space Western...
I'm good with that. See also, Firefly. I'll wait a few eps to see how it's received here. I'm officially getting tired of Disney's message over story thing lately. If they push social messages in lieu of good story telling, I'm out for good. It's not like I have any interest in Marvel movies anyway. The first Iron Man was good though, and the Guardians movie was fun. Neither one had any of the preachy crap as the latest handful does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page