The Mandalorian- Star Wars TV series - Page 23 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 427Likes

post #661 of 683 Old 02-25-2020, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4994 Post(s)
Liked: 3985
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
it's not even about adult content...there's very little original content...outside of Mandalorian and a handful of others everything is based on their back catalog...
I agree. The problem with Disney+ isn't the lack of grown-up content ("adult" content means something different, IMO. ). The problem is a dearth of original content of any sort. The Mandalorian was supposed to be the platform's flagship, but it was only 8 episodes and they won't have anything of comparable interest to replace it for months. Disney should have held off the launch until they were ready with a steady and continuous stream of original programs to roll out one after the other.

Quote:
**only caveat is for people with small children who might find Disney+ useful year round...but even then it's a stretch...Cartoon Network and the Nick channels seem like more then enough...
There's the rub. I have a pair of six-year-olds who are all-in on Disney+. It's the only channel they'll watch since we got it. Nick Jr. and PBS Kids fell to the wayside quickly. They used to be big fans of PAW Patrol, but Puppy Dog Pals is basically the same damn show. They'll watch episodes of that over and over and over again.

The big advantage for parents is that Disney+ is ad-free. That's a huge improvement over Disney Channel (or Disney Now), which is insanely aggressive with commercials. The subscription is worth it to me for that alone.
aaronwt, BGLeduc, Ph8te and 3 others like this.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 683 Old 02-25-2020, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 7538 Post(s)
Liked: 17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I agree. The problem with Disney+ isn't the lack of grown-up content ("adult" content means something different, IMO. ). The problem is a dearth of original content of any sort. The Mandalorian was supposed to be the platform's flagship, but it was only 8 episodes and they won't have anything of comparable interest to replace it for months. Disney should have held off the launch until they were ready with a steady and continuous stream of original programs to roll out one after the other.

There's the rub. I have a pair of six-year-olds who are all-in on Disney+. It's the only channel they'll watch since we got it. Nick Jr. and PBS Kids fell to the wayside quickly. They used to be big fans of PAW Patrol, but Puppy Dog Pals is basically the same damn show. They'll watch episodes of that over and over and over again.

The big advantage for parents is that Disney+ is ad-free. That's a huge improvement over Disney Channel (or Disney Now), which is insanely aggressive with commercials. The subscription is worth it to me for that alone.
No Peppa on D+

post #663 of 683 Old 02-25-2020, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 6868 Post(s)
Liked: 6801
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
I am looking forward to all the Marvel shows coming out on Disney+ but I feel they are going to release them so far apart in attempt to keep people subscribed. Until those come out, there is nothing on Disney+ keeping me tuning in weekly.

I think we are kind of spoiled these days, with the release of content. Disney+ won’t always have such little original content, but it will take time to gear everything up and slot it. From a podcast I’ve listed to they are basically giving the “minor heads” “blocks” and will slot programming into those blocks so eventually there will/should always be something new just around the corner. We’ll possibly have alternating windows of Star Wars/Marvel content and to sprinkle on top the docuseries from NatGeo and Walt Disney Studios/parks.

I can see why people would stop subscribing, but Disney (IMO) is looking at the long term picture of things instead of just the here and now. NetFlix and others have a major head start in this aspect so everyone now is playing catch-up to that type of model. Staring off slow and seeing what works and doesn’t work isn’t such a bad idea, it just sucks for the end user since they have to wait while things get done.
aaronwt, Josh Z, WilliamR and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #664 of 683 Old 03-20-2020, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2158 Post(s)
Liked: 2935
Rosario Dawson to Play Ahsoka Tano in ‘The Mandalorian’ Season 2

Rosario Dawson has joined season 2 of “The Mandalorian” in a role which will have “Clone Wars” fans brimming with excitement.

The “Briarpatch” star has been cast in the guest starring role of Ahsoka Tano, Variety has confirmed. Tano is Anakin Skywalker’s apprentice and one of the central characters in the popular animated “Star Wars” series. This will mark the character’s first live-action appearance, after being voiced by Ashley Eckstein on all seven seasons of “Clone Wars,” the final season of which is currently airing on Disney Plus.

Season 2 of “The Mandalorian” is slated to drop on Disney Plus this Fall, after showrunner and creator Jon Favreau confirmed that a second season was on the way late last year. Favreau also previously revealed that Carl Weathers, who plays Greef Carga in the series, is set to direct an episode of its sophomore season.

The series is set after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order, following the travails of Mando (Pedro Pascal) in the outer reaches of the galaxy far from the authority of the New Republic. Season 1 ended with Mando flying off in search of Baby Yoda’s home planet. Precisely how Dawson’s Tano fits into the equation will be interesting to see, especially given all the events that take place between the end of the Clone Wars and the fall of the Empire.

“The Mandalorian” is the first “Star Wars” series to air on Disney Plus, and the Mouse House also has two others series from a Galaxy far, far away in the works, namely a Cassian Andor series starring Diego Luna reprising his role from “Rogue One,” and an Obi-Wan Kenobi series with Ewan McGregor reprising the iconic role.

The series is executive produced by Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni, Kathleen Kennedy, and Colin Wilson. Karen Gilchrist serves as co-executive producer. Directors on season 1 included Filoni, Taika Waititi, Bryce Dallas Howard, Rick Famuyiwa, and Deborah Chow, who has been tapped to direct the Obi-Wan series as well.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/ros...-2-1203540472/
aaronwt and d-rail34 like this.

post #665 of 683 Old 03-20-2020, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3187 Post(s)
Liked: 4235
this Fall .. ?? More like 2021 - 2022 the way things are looking ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #666 of 683 Old 03-21-2020, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked: 1385
Dawson is a good choice, but yes don't know how the character will fit here. Her last time was on "Rebels" which predates and or might be along the time of "A New Hope" .

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

You want true diversity? Champion the diversity of thoughts!

The Hun
post #667 of 683 Old 03-21-2020, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
Dawson is a good choice, but yes don't know how the character will fit here. Her last time was on "Rebels" which predates and or might be along the time of "A New Hope" .
The last minutes of Rebels are set after ROTJ. Ahsoka is there.
aaronwt likes this.
post #668 of 683 Old 03-21-2020, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Rosario Dawson to Play Ahsoka Tano in ‘The Mandalorian’ Season 2
Kind of disappointed that they didn't give the role to Ashley Eckstein. She was the voice of the character and would physically fit the part.

Nothing against Dawson, but seems like an unnecessary change.

Scott
mesaboy likes this.

post #669 of 683 Old 03-21-2020, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5746 Post(s)
Liked: 5262
Quote:
Originally Posted by srw1000 View Post
Kind of disappointed that they didn't give the role to Ashley Eckstein. She was the voice of the character and would physically fit the part.

Nothing against Dawson, but seems like an unnecessary change
hopefully Rosario Dawson is used better then she was on the Marvel Netflix shows...she would show up for a few episodes mainly to give a pep talk or bandage up Daredevil and/or Luke Cage and then disappear for long stretches
aaronwt likes this.
post #670 of 683 Old 03-21-2020, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy View Post
The last minutes of Rebels are set after ROTJ. Ahsoka is there.
Huh, I must have missed that but the point remains of how she will fit into this new story line. I'm just curious not saying she shouldn't be there. In fact that's great they are bringing her into live action.

The Hun
post #671 of 683 Old 03-21-2020, 09:53 PM

Quote:

Scott
I don't disagree with you there and the reasons could be anyone's guess of why Lucasfilm decided by giving the role to other than Eickstein....

The Hun
post #672 of 683 Old 03-22-2020, 08:23 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 9820 Post(s)
Liked: 6490
Quote:

Scott
Were any live action roles given to people who voiced the characters? That wouldn't be the norm anyway, would it?

Edit: I just looked at her IMDB page. The vast majority of her work is voice acting, not live action. So it would have been very unusual to cast her for a live action part.

Sent from my Tab A 8.0

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 03-22-2020 at 08:27 AM.
post #673 of 683 Old 03-22-2020, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Were any live action roles given to people who voiced the characters? That wouldn't be the norm anyway, would it?

Edit: I just looked at her IMDB page. The vast majority of her work is voice acting, not live action. So it would have been very unusual to cast her for a live action part.

Sent from my Tab A 8.0
I'm trying to think of any, but none come to mind. However, many of the voiceover actors wouldn't necessarily be a good physical fit for the characters they portray: wrong height/weight/size, characters that aren't human, wrong age, etc.

In this case, Eckstein fits those physical aspects at least as well as Dawson does. Since she has portrayed the character since the inception, it would have been cool to see her make the transition to the small screen.

In the reverse, they have used some of the live-action actors to reprise their roles in the animated shows. Many are missing, but I would assume that has a lot to do with the pay differential between voice acting and film acting.

Scott
aaronwt likes this.

post #674 of 683 Old 03-22-2020, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm trying to think of any, but none come to mind. However, many of the voiceover actors wouldn't necessarily be a good physical fit for the characters they portray: wrong height/weight/size, characters that aren't human, wrong age, etc.

In this case, Eckstein fits those physical aspects at least as well as Dawson does. Since she has portrayed the character since the inception, it would have been cool to see her make the transition to the small screen.

In the reverse, they have used some of the live-action actors to reprise their roles in the animated shows. Many are missing, but I would assume that has a lot to do with the pay differential between voice acting and film acting...
exactly...there's a difference between voicing an actor versus physically portraying him/her on screen...what works as a purely voice only part wouldn't necessarily translate to the screen...Peter Cullen voices the iconic role of Optimus Prime both in the Transformers animated series and movies but if they ever needed an actor to physically portray him on-screen I'm sure he would be replaced...they did the same for Darth Maul when Phantom Menace was first released...Ray Park played him on-screen while another actor did the voice (Peter Serafinowicz)...same with Darth Vader (voiced by James Earl Jones)
aaronwt and Josh Z like this.
post #675 of 683 Old 03-23-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
FWIW, Kevin Conroy got to (briefly) play Batman in live action during the CW's recent Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover event.
aaronwt likes this.

Josh Z

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
post #676 of 683 Old 03-23-2020, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
FWIW, Kevin Conroy got to (briefly) play Batman in live action during the CW's recent Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover event.
He had the perfect Batman voice, but he's kind of small and too old in real-life so I'm not sure he could have played the role.

However, I always thought he could easily pull off the older Bruce Wayne role if they ever decided to do a live-action Batman Beyond movie or TV series.

post #677 of 683 Old 03-24-2020, 07:27 AM

Quote:
He had the perfect Batman voice, but he's kind of small and too old in real-life so I'm not sure he could have played the role.
In the episode, Conroy played an old and washed-up Batman. The show also made that alternate-universe version of Batman evil, which probably didn't go over too well with Conroy's fans.

Josh Z

post #678 of 683 Old 03-24-2020, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

The Mandalorian Adds Michael Biehn to Season 2 Cast as Bounty Hunter

The Terminator and Aliens star Michael Biehn has signed on to play a bounty hunter in Season 2 of The Mandalorian...Biehn established himself as a sci-fi movie icon with pivotal roles in 1984’s The Terminator (as time-traveling cyborg hunter Kyle Reese) and 1986’s Aliens (as Marine Corporal Dwayne Hicks), and also appeared in The Abyss, Tombstone and The Rock, but this will be his most prominent screen credit in more than a decade...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-biehn-1286284
post #679 of 683 Old 03-25-2020, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Saw this posted today on Theforce.net:

Ashley Eckstein Releases Statement Regarding Ahsoka Tano Casting News

Quote:
A few days ago, the world was buzzing with the news that actress Rosario Dawson had been cast to play a live-action version of fan-favorite Ahsoka Tano in Season Two of Star Wars: The Mandalorian.

The reactions to Dawson's casting were mostly positive and the decision to finally have a live-action version of the Togrutan former Jedi was met with universal appraise. This is something most fans have wanted for some time with Dawson's name being floated for many years now.

Some however were upset that actress and entrepreneur Ashley Eckstein, who has voiced Ahsoka Tano since the character's first appearance in The Clone Wars, was not considered for the role. Loyal fans took to social media to express their shock, disbelief, and sadness over this decision to go in a different direction by showrunners Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni.

The one person who hasn't commented, until now, was Ashley herself who took to social media to release a statement regarding the whole deal. Here is that statement in full from her Instagram account...

aaronwt likes this.

Last edited by srw1000; 03-25-2020 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Added link to article cited.
post #680 of 683 Old 03-25-2020, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 6868 Post(s)
Liked: 6801
Quote:
Saw this posted today on Theforce.net:

Ashley Eckstein Releases Statement Regarding Ahsoka Tano Casting News

You may want to post a link as what I see (at least on Tapatalk is everything but the statement.
post #681 of 683 Old 03-25-2020, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
You may want to post a link as what I see (at least on Tapatalk is everything but the statement.
Thanks for letting me know. The statement was a JPG file in the article, it shows up on the two browsers I checked, but Tapatalk must not like it.

I've included a link to the original article, which I meant to do anyway, but had forgotten to add. I don't know if her statement will show up on their website or not.

The gist of it is that she doesn't know anything about it and isn't involved in any way.

Scott
aaronwt and Ph8te like this.

post #682 of 683 Old 03-26-2020, 04:18 AM

BTW Has the Dawson casting been confirmed by Lucasfilm yet? All I've seen is like the link above is media outlets claiming by "several sources" none of which is Lucasfilm or Disney.

The Hun
post #683 of 683 Old 04-03-2020, 06:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked: 913
I have recently taken the Roku plunge, and one of the first things I checked out was The Mandalorian. Not only did I finally get to see it in 4k, but the audio was Dolby Atmos (neither of which my iPad/iPhone based Disney+ app supported)! I may go back now and watch the whole first season...and accelerate my steps to "cut the cord" and add Roku's to my other TVs.

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR [v1.81], LG 65EF9500 4K OLED [v4.26.05]
5.0.2 set-up: (4) Polk Monitor 10B's, (2) Polk Monitor 4's, Polk CS300 center
B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD [v1.80]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page