89Likes

post #1 of 117 Old 10-05-2018, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1922 Post(s)
Liked: 2372
Carnival Row on Amazon

This one sounds very cool and interesting, going to definitely check this one out.

Carnival Row is a fantasy-noir set in a neo-Victorian city. Mythical creatures fleeing their war-torn homeland have gathered in the city, and tensions are simmering between citizens and the growing immigrant population. The series follows the investigation of a string of unsolved murders that are eating away at whatever uneasy peace still exists.

Carnival Row, whose themes about immigration and anti-immigrant sentiments are pretty timely, stems from a major development deal Amazon Studios inked in early 2015 for the project, a TV series version of Beacham’s cult 12-year-old supernatural feature spec script A Killing on Carnival Row. At the time, Echevarria was working with the Pacific Rim duo of Beacham and Guillermo Del Toro, whose feature schedule did not permit for him to stay on as an executive producer as the project moved forward.
A year ago, Amazon ordered a pilot for Carnival Row based on a script written by Echevarria. Given the project’s scope, the streaming platform opted for a straight-to-series order instead, which is also how AMC’s The Walking Dead started.

Echevarria is writer, executive producer and showrunner, McGuigan is set to direct and executive produce, and Beacham, who will serve as executive producer, wrote the original feature script, which appeared on the first installment of the Hollywood Black List in 2005. Del Toro and Neil Jordan flirted with the project while it was at New Line and then, following New Line’s absorption by Warner Bros., Arnold and Anne Kopelson tried shopping it to studios with Immortals helmer Tarsem Singh attached.

“There has never been a series like Carnival Row before,” said Joe Lewis, Head of Comedy, Drama and VR at Amazon Studios. “The scope of the storytelling combined with the uniqueness of the world, themes and aesthetics haven’t been on TV before. A simple police investigation will lead us down a remarkable journey in a world where humans and creatures co-exist.”

The series is scheduled to begin filming in the fall 2018 for a 2019 premiere.

Carnival Row is inspiringly ambitious and timely in a way that we never could have anticipated,” said Lauren Whitney, President of Scripted Television at Legendary. “We are thrilled to have excellent partners at Amazon, and the infinitely talented trio of Echevarria, McGuigan and Beacham as the driving force behind this show.”

Legendary has another genre series, The Colony, at USA.

Echevarria, a Star Trek veteran, most recently was an executive producer on Teen Wolf and was an EP on Terra Nova before that. He also co-created the critically acclaimed USA series The 4400.

https://deadline.com/2017/05/carniva...am-1202088918/
Don S likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 117 Old 10-08-2018, 04:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked: 2105
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

“There has never been a series like Carnival Row before,” said Joe Lewis, Head of Comedy, Drama and VR at Amazon Studios. “The scope of the storytelling combined with the uniqueness of the world, themes and aesthetics haven’t been on TV before. A simple police investigation will lead us down a remarkable journey in a world where humans and creatures co-exist.”

https://deadline.com/2017/05/carniva...am-1202088918/

Actually, it sounds a lot like this, only set in the past:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_Nation_(TV_series)
allargon likes this.
post #3 of 117 Old 10-09-2018, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
Actually, it sounds a lot like this, only set in the past:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_Nation_(TV_series)
Or worse, that Netflix movie Bright.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 117 Old 10-09-2018, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1749 Post(s)
Liked: 1739
I liked both the Alien Nation TV show and Bright, so I guess I'm in. Though I agree, Carnival Row probably isn't exactly something we've never seen before (beyond the appearance of the setting and the creatures). It actually sounds a bit like season 2 of Supergirl.
post #5 of 117 Old 06-03-2019, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4727 Post(s)
Liked: 4251
Season 1 coming August 30th...

post #6 of 117 Old 07-19-2019, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Carnival Row - Featurette: Philo's Story

Carnival Row - Featurette: Vignette's Story

Garrett Adams likes this.
post #7 of 117 Old 07-27-2019, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Carnival Row- Official Teaser: Bury a Friend

post #8 of 117 Old 08-06-2019, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Carnival Row Season 1- Official Trailer

this has potential but I hope the focus of the show is not going to be on the love story between Orlando Bloom and Cara Delevingne...I also don't want to see the political hot button issue of migrant refugees take up too much screen time...it has a nice cast (Jared Harris!), production values and setting and I hope to see them explore the fantasy setting and the Jack the Ripper style murders

yobbo likes this.
post #9 of 117 Old 08-16-2019, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1922 Post(s)
Liked: 2372
Amazon's Carnival Row is a big-budget nerd fantasy

Orlando Bloom and Cara Delevingne star in an endearingly sincere parable about immigration and xenophobia, with plenty of inter-species sex to satisfy viewers

If a group of hardcore genre fans got together and wrote a TV show, and then somebody’s rich Uncle Jeff (Bezos) Venmo’d them several million dollars to produce it, the result might be something like Carnival Row. Amazon’s fantasy-thriller mash-up — starring Orlando Bloom and Cara Delevingne as unlikely, Victorian-era lovers — is a knotty, nerdy, and endearingly sincere parable about immigration and xenophobia, with plenty of interspecies sex to satisfy viewers.

As we learn from the text-on-screen preamble, the “fae” (a.k.a. fairy people) spent years defending their homeland from “the many empires of man,” who sought to control it. Now with the war over, fae refugees — fleeing the brutal persecution of a shadowy group called the Pact — are pouring into the Burgue, a sooty, crowded city that looks a lot like Victorian London, but with more goat-people. An increasingly vocal political movement decries the influx of refugees to the city, and tensions are raised further by a series of attacks on “critch” (a derogatory term for all non-human folk). It’s up to Inspector Rycroft “Philo” Philostrate (Bloom) to find the hammer-wielding creep before he strikes again.

This is well-trodden genre territory, presenting fantastical creatures as persecuted outcasts (see: all things X-Men, for example), and Carnival Row — created by René Echevarria (The 4400) and Travis Beacham (Pacific Rim) — generally sticks to the usual plot devices. Philo is a brooding hero with a Big Secret, one that involves his former fae lover Vignette (Delevingne). She, meanwhile, is shocked and more than a little irked to discover that Philo didn’t die in the war.

Amidst the pastiche and the sometimes-banal writing (“You can’t save them all!” “Damn it, I can save one!”) are some playful touches and charming stories. My favorite is the snooty, insolvent Imogen Spurnrose (Tazmin Merchant), who reluctantly falls for the wealthy “puck” (a goat-man hybrid) next door; it’s like Pride and Prejudice and Satyrs. And Game of Thrones’ Indira Varma has a grand old time as Piety Breakspear (gah, these character names are sublime!), the conniving wife to a critch-friendly politician (Jared Harris).

At times, the mythology can feel needlessly complex, but there is something truly endearing about Carnival’s earnest, irony-free storytelling. Oddly, this splashy streamer production built around a movie star and a former model feels like an underdog — a -style labor of love on a Jack Ryan budget. B-

https://ew.com/tv-reviews/2019/08/15...amazon-review/

post #10 of 117 Old 08-17-2019, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

seems to be getting mixed reviews...multiple reviews I've read mentioned that it's trying too hard to be the next Game of Thrones...the story is not getting high marks...production values do seem high and there is a lot of graphic content so I still plan on watching...the fact that it's an original story and not adapted from a book is interesting as the showrunners can build their own world and mythology

Carnival Row review Vanity Fair

Faeries, pucks, and blood magic abound in this expensive drama, but any intricate world is inert without a compelling story...the world is much more interesting than the spree of murders within it, or the love story, such as it is, between Philo and Vinny...Carnival Row has built a fascinating metaphor for colonial power, resettlement, and migration—but doesn't quite know what to do with all that raw material...

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...-amazon-review

Amazon’s terrific fantasy Carnival Row works best when it isn’t copying Game of Thrones

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/15/2...ame-of-thrones
post #11 of 117 Old 08-29-2019, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

this starts up late tonight on Amazon...looking forward to it...even though reviews are mixed it sounds like something I would enjoy...
Keenan likes this.
post #12 of 117 Old 08-29-2019, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

just like with The Boys, Amazon once again unlocked this series early...it's now available to watch...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/deta...675lX_brws_2_1
allargon likes this.
post #13 of 117 Old 08-29-2019, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does CR have Dolby Atmos audio?

I enjoyed the first episode. I'm curious to know if this show was done has Dolby Atmos? I'm still not aware of any easy way to check what Prime content has Atmos audio. My xbox outputs everything from Prime as atmos so that's no help. The xbox app's UI still reports everything (including Jack Ryan) as 5.1.
post #14 of 117 Old 08-30-2019, 12:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Railton View Post
I enjoyed the first episode. I'm curious to know if this show was done has Dolby Atmos? I'm still not aware of any easy way to check what Prime content has Atmos audio. My xbox outputs everything from Prime as atmos so that's no help. The xbox app's UI still reports everything (including Jack Ryan) as 5.1.
Carnival Row does not support Atmos...the only Amazon Prime show that I know of that does is Jack Ryan...Atmos works for me with Jack Ryan...I have a dedicated 5.1 system but my OLED has built-in Atmos speakers (which I only use to test for Atmos support)...when watching Jack Ryan both the Dolby Vision and Atmos notifications pop up on my screen

Amazon's UI doesn't list Atmos support for Jack Ryan and only shows as 5.1 but it does work...I think because Amazon has such few shows with Atmos support that they don't even bother having a symbol in their UI indicating a show has it
post #15 of 117 Old 08-30-2019, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1749 Post(s)
Liked: 1739
I watched the first episode and half of the next one last night and am really enjoying this world too. I'd be okay if this is mainly an investigative procedural with political intrigue, like some of the best sci-fi/fantasy books I've read. It doesn't need to be some sweeping epic with world-ending threats or massive battle sequences for me to like something in this genre or feel like the setting wasn't wasted. Oftentimes first seasons of shows like this focus on world-building and character development while setting up bigger conflicts for later seasons anyway. People seem to forget that's pretty much all the first season of GoT was, though of course I realize the scope of the world was much bigger than in Carnival Row.
allargon likes this.
post #16 of 117 Old 08-30-2019, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2376 Post(s)
Liked: 1971
Usually I'm not into fantasy type series but I liked the first episode so am in for the rest. What I found novel and interesting was the alternative universe late 19th century setting like with the elevated railway.
Panson likes this.
post #17 of 117 Old 08-30-2019, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 7111 Post(s)
Liked: 16059
Yeah, fairies wear boots and you gotta believe me. Watched the first episode and enjoyed it. However, Prime and my ATV didn't want to play nice. Bezos didn't want me to enjoy the 4K HDR version. Kept getting error code 5004. But he'd let me watch the SDR version. Thanks, Jeff.
Panson likes this.

post #18 of 117 Old 08-30-2019, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I watched the 1st episode...didn't blow me away but was a decent introduction to this world...lots of backstory and mythology that hasn't been fully explained...I like that this is based on an original idea and not off of a book...I like the cast, especially Tamzin Merchant, Jared Harris and Orlando Bloom...HDR is solid but not spectacular...pretty much similar to HDR in 'The Boys' which also didn't have much pop...I wonder if people with Samsung displays notice it looks better with HDR10+

now that the introductions are out of the way I'm hoping things pick up and the story gets more interesting over the course of the remaining 7 episodes
post #19 of 117 Old 08-30-2019, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked: 3080
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
Carnival Row does not support Atmos...
It's supposed to have Atmos. It was mixed for Atmos. I don't know why Amazon decided to not use the Atmos mix.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...?#post58327208

I found the first episode to be rather underwhelming. I'm not sure I can bring myself to go back for more.
post #20 of 117 Old 08-30-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
It's supposed to have Atmos. It was mixed for Atmos. I don't know why Amazon decided to not use the Atmos mix.
I wonder if @FilmMixer can tell us what happened.
post #21 of 117 Old 08-30-2019, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2375 Post(s)
Liked: 3134
Quote:
I wonder if @FilmMixer can tell us what happened.

Ive reaches out to my “Atmos” contact at Amazon.

I’ll let ya know when I hear back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Stereodude, Keenan and SuperFist like this.
post #22 of 117 Old 08-31-2019, 01:22 AM

In a comment attached to the High-Def Digest review of Carnival Row, Dan Hitchman said that Atmos is also not working for Jack Ryan right now. So it's probably a platform-level problem at Amazon. Kind of unfortunate that they can't launch such an atmospheric show with the proper sound.
post #23 of 117 Old 08-31-2019, 01:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In a comment attached to the High-Def Digest review of Carnival Row, Dan Hitchman said that Atmos is also not working for Jack Ryan right now. So it's probably a platform-level problem at Amazon. Kind of unfortunate that they can't launch such an atmospheric show with the proper sound.
it works for Jack Ryan...I just tested it
post #24 of 117 Old 08-31-2019, 04:37 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked: 3080
Quote:
it works for Jack Ryan...I just tested it
I did the same thing as well. I stopped the Carnival Row episode a minute or two into it and tried a Jack Ryan episode just to make sure it was still working in Atmos (to rule out a Firestick 4K issue or an Amazon issue) and then went back to Carnival Row. Jack Ryan had Atmos. Carnival Row did not.
post #25 of 117 Old 08-31-2019, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Update ...

Heard from my contact at Amazon.

Short answer is they know and they are working on it and have been all week.

They’ll give me an update when the stream goes live...

I’ve only been given a time frame of ASAP...

As a side note the Atmos streams/encodes are entirely separate form the “regular” 5.1/stereo files.... it simply isn’t a stream or tech glitch, but an entirely separate set of “files.”

As a matter of fact the Atmos encodes includes an Atmos Amazon logo ... I think IIRC it is a different color scheme than the...

When you watch a Prime show and see the Prime banner in front that is the service is actually seamlessly “editing” that in real time to the program...

Netflix actually now does the same thing (it used to be that the logo was part of the show and we would mix in the logos as part of the show... but that has changed over the last few years ...)

While no one is more disappointment right now than me I’m hopeful the stream will be live soon...

I’m very proud of the mix on the show.... hope you’ll be able to enjoy it in Atmos soon.
post #26 of 117 Old 08-31-2019, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post
As a matter of fact the Atmos encodes includes an Atmos Amazon logo ... I think IIRC it is a different color scheme than the...
with Netflix there's a separate Atmos logo but with Amazon it still shows as 5.1 even with Atmos support (Jack Ryan)
MALICIOUS ONE likes this.
post #27 of 117 Old 08-31-2019, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
with Netflix there's a separate Atmos logo but with Amazon it still shows as 5.1 even with Atmos support (Jack Ryan)

I’m talking about the actual video logos at the start of the shows. .

Not the apps labeling of audio formats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #28 of 117 Old 08-31-2019, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post
I’m talking about the actual video logos at the start of the shows. .

Not the apps labeling of audio formats
do you happen to know if Jack Ryan Season 2 will have Dolby Vision and Atmos support?
post #29 of 117 Old 08-31-2019, 12:11 PM

I was just trying to see the different logos in Jack Ryan. I tried it out on my Chromecast Ultra since I was under the impression that Amazon didn't have Atmos support there. Turns out, it does! I've seen lots of Atmos articles showing that not to be the case. Netflix still doesn't support Atmos on a Chromecast. I'm a little surprised to see Amazon get out ahead here for a change.

In any case, I'm not noticing any logo differences with Jack Ryan. Looks the same on my phone (1080p, presumably stereo), chromecast, and xbox. Same logo in Carnival Row, Jack Ryan, and The Boys (which has no atmos). Could you point out what the difference is? If it's subtle, I'm just not noticing it.
post #30 of 117 Old 08-31-2019, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was just trying to see the different logos in Jack Ryan. I tried it out on my Chromecast Ultra since I was under the impression that Amazon didn't have Atmos support there. Turns out, it does! I've seen lots of Atmos articles showing that not to be the case. Netflix still doesn't support Atmos on a Chromecast. I'm a little surprised to see Amazon get out ahead here for a change.

In any case, I'm not noticing any logo differences with Jack Ryan. Looks the same on my phone (1080p, presumably stereo), chromecast, and xbox. Same logo in Carnival Row, Jack Ryan, and The Boys (which has no atmos). Could you point out what the difference is? If it's subtle, I'm just not noticing it.

Video wise I don’t know if what I saw was the final or not. It was not blue like the one that broadcasts now in front of the 4k stream but black with orange lettering. Again I don’t know if that was just a placeholder or not.

Audio wise it has overhead activity.
SuperFist likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page