Homecoming on Amazon - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #31 of 44 Old 12-07-2018, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_bernstein View Post
Cannavale is so good at playing people you love to hate. Look at his past characters from Boardwalk Empire, Vinyl, etc.
You should check out the Homecoming podcast, where David Schwimmer was much slimier and more detestable than the character that Cannavale played.

Denon x4400h, Samsung LED 1080p TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, Darbeevision, etc.
Headphone system: Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1, Denon DVD-3910
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 12-07-2018, 09:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Just crashing the first half and I like what's happening. Great acting and score.

Next day and I'm done. Really like the way the story unfolds. Love the M.I.C. that kind of creeps up on you
in the second half, although you could read into it early.

Anyone else notice all the music lifted from other films? It didn't bother me, but it did tweak my ear.

Enjoy

Last edited by thedeskE; 12-08-2018 at 04:52 PM.
post #33 of 44 Old 12-21-2018, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1920 Post(s)
Liked: 1983
I just finished this last night. Overall I enjoyed it but in some ways found the ending anti-climactic. As someone mentioned above, not quite the level of twists and big reveals I was hoping for. It was still worth watching and kept me engaged throughout. Typical of a lot of Prime series, it was good but not great.

For those interested in the music, and why so many of the pieces seemed on-the-tip-of-your-tongue familiar, someone put together a complete episode-by-episode list of all the music in the series. https://news.avclub.com/a-comprehens...com-1830295086
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 44 Old 12-27-2018, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked: 1880
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsantafe View Post
4 episodes in and I'm enjoying the show - especially the soundtrack which employs some neat tonal layering as well as spatial effects.
This was the thing to me that was most striking: the soundtrack. Most of it was similar to what they used to put in old shows except played at a level about 3 times louder than I was used to. The soundtrack was unnerving and created drama when the show really didn't have a lot of drama.

The show was basically a minor mystery, unraveled in time like an Egoyan film, but cranked to 11 by Esmail by use of his sound design.

Edit: should have read through before posting. Soundtracks from other movies and shows. Ok.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.

Last edited by daryl zero; 12-27-2018 at 12:31 PM.
post #35 of 44 Old 01-16-2019, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 5361 Post(s)
Liked: 4821
Julia Roberts Not Returning For Season 2

Julia Roberts‘ days as Homecoming case worker Heidi Bergman are behind her: The Golden Globe nominee will not return as star of Season 2...Roberts will remain on board as an executive producer alongside showrunner Sam Esmail — and the possibility of a guest appearance has not been ruled out...be that as it may, the second season is expected to deviate wildly from the podcast on which it is based...it is unknown who, if anyone from the TV show’s Season 1 cast — including Stephan James, Bobby Cannavale, Shea Whigham, Alex Karpovsky and Sissy Spacek — will return for Season 2...

https://tvline.com/2019/01/16/homeco...ason-2-amazon/

this should have been a one-and-done series...no real point in continuing...series was good but not great in my opinion so I'm not broken up over this news
acebreathe, pbarach and Zookster like this.
post #36 of 44 Old 01-16-2019, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's difficult to see where else this show, with a name like "Homecoming," could go. How many more stories can you tell about big pharma or government agencies exploiting returning vets with PTSD? Or would it focus on taking down the company Cannivale's character was part of? I don't mind an anthology approach, bringing in another big name actor as the lead like Fargo does, but the story has to make sense in this world without repeating the same exact premise too much.
post #37 of 44 Old 01-16-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
It's difficult to see where else this show, with a name like "Homecoming," could go. How many more stories can you tell about big pharma or government agencies exploiting returning vets with PTSD? Or would it focus on taking down the company Cannivale's character was part of? I don't mind an anthology approach, bringing in another big name actor as the lead like Fargo does, but the story has to make sense in this world without repeating the same exact premise too much.
there was a post-credits scene which showed one of the Geist board members rubbing some liquid on her wrist implying that the medication is being rolled out in a new format...like you said, the only thing they could do in S2 is to show how Geist gets taken down which I don't really think is necessary and which would be totally different in tone to the first season...I don't know why Amazon gave this a 2 season commitment from the get-go if they knew Roberts would not be involved in S2
Zookster likes this.
post #38 of 44 Old 01-16-2019, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6463 Post(s)
Liked: 7174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
Yeah, I agree. While I thought it was an "actor's paradise" for it's Big Four -- Roberts, Cannevale, Whigham and James -- I thought the story was pretty pedestrian. Looks like the last scene was meant to leave open the possibility of a sequel by showing that Geist had figured out how to expand its drug delivery system from injection to skin application. Cannivale was not fired by the company, so it's reasonable to expect he would headline a second season, reprising his character and getting even more compromised & duplicitous as he attempts to climb back up the corporate ladder and redeem himself.

But, as is so often, the question is not can they, but should they? I would say "no". Let it exist in its own little world and let Sam move on to other things. He has a very fertile imagination; give him license to use it.
Zookster likes this.
post #39 of 44 Old 01-16-2019, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wow. I totally missed the post-credits scene (obviously). I could see where the new story would go. But unless it focuses on vets, again, the Homecoming premise wouldn't make sense. If Geist is developing new applications for this drug to treat emotional scars and mental trauma, then it seems a company like that would seek a broader customer base.
post #40 of 44 Old 02-23-2019, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 2371
I bailed after 15 minutes of Episode 1. I may come back for Bobby Cannavalle's acting. He didn't register before "Irving" (Mr. Robot). Hope he's back for that final season.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #41 of 44 Old 02-24-2019, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 169
It gets better and better as episodes go by.
Panson likes this.
post #42 of 44 Old 02-27-2019, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 2371
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay1952 View Post
It gets better and better as episodes go by.
Well, half hour shows aren't too painful. Up to Episode 6 now.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #43 of 44 Old 07-23-2019, 12:46 PM

Janelle Monáe to Succeed Julia Roberts in Season 2

Monáe plays a tenacious woman who finds herself floating in a canoe, with no memory of how she got there— or even who she is...

https://tvline.com/2019/07/23/janell...season-2-cast/
Zookster likes this.
post #44 of 44 Old 01-14-2020, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2080 Post(s)
Liked: 2685
‘Homecoming’: Season Two Deals With First Season “Fallout” & Will Be “Much More Expansive” – TCA

The second season of Amazon drama Homecoming will be more expansive than the first, with much of the action taking place outside of the Homecoming Transitional Support Center.

The cast and crew of the psychological thriller, including new star Janelle Monáe, talked up the differences between season one of the show, which starred Julia Roberts, and the forthcoming season, which airs later this spring, at the Winter TCA press tour.

In the second season, Monáe’s character wakes in a rowboat adrift on a lake, with no memory of how she got there — or even who she is. Her ensuing search for identity will lead her into the heart of the Geist Group, the unconventional wellness company behind the Homecoming Initiative.

Co-creator and exec producer Eli Horowitz admitted that the team, which also includes co-creator Michael Bloomberg, Kyle Patrick Alvarez and exec producer Sam Esmail learned a number of lessons between the two seasons. “It was important that each season has its own shape and sense of completeness,” he added.

Bloomberg added that the first season was much more contained because it was based entirely on the eponymous podcast. “Season one came out of the podcast, this season is much more expansive in terms of locations. We’re not as contained in the facility,” he said, adding that the second season deals with the fallout of the first.

Stephan James reprises his role as Walter Cruz, trying to build a new life following the traumas of war and the Homecoming Initiative, when he begins to realize that there’s an even more insidious version of the program underway – if only he can remember.

“Season one was so interesting to me, we didn’t get to see the full scope of Walter Cruz and now he’s introduced to you as who he really is. It brings an identity and humanity to Walter that was missing in the first season. We’re not in the confines of this facility, it’s Walter on a new journey and mission to figure out what happened to him,” he said.

Monáe said she was drawn to the project as a “storyteller”. He revealed she was a big fan of The Twilight Zone and director Fritz Lang. Asked whether she preferred acting or singing, she joked, “I’m actually a magician; I’m playing a trick on the whole world.”

Elsewhere, Hong Chau returns as Audrey Temple, an anonymous underling at Geist who finds herself thrust into unexpected positions at the top of the corporate ladder. Joining the cast for season two are Oscar-winner Chris Cooper as Leonard Geist, the company’s eccentric founder; and Emmy-winner Joan Cusack as Francine Bunda, an equally eccentric military woman.

Created by Eli Horowitz and Micah Bloomberg, Homecoming is co-produced by Amazon Studios and UCP. The season is directed and executive produced by Kyle Patrick Alvarez, executive produced by Sam Esmail through his production company Esmail Corp; as well as Mr. Robot executive producer Chad Hamilton of Anonymous Content; Eli Horowitz and Micah Bloomberg; Kyle Alvarez; and Chris Giliberti, Alex Blumberg and Matt Lieber of Gimlet Media. Julia Roberts will also serve as executive producer through her production company Red Om Films.

Bloomberg added that they don’t know where the show is going after season two. “We don’t have a bible that stretches out to season five,” he said.

https://deadline.com/2020/01/homecom...ve-1202830686/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page