20Likes

post #1 of 44 Old 10-05-2018, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2073 Post(s)
Liked: 2662
Homecoming on Amazon

Link below also contains photos from the set.

Amazon has released the first photos from Homecoming, its high-profile psychological thriller series starring Julia Roberts and directed by Mr. Robot‘s Sam Esmail. Have a look below.

Amazon made a straight-to-series two-season order for Homecoming nearly a year ago, amid a very competitive situation. Here’s the logline: Heidi Bergman (Roberts) is a caseworker at the Homecoming Transitional Support Center, a Geist Group facility helping soldiers transition back to civilian life. Walter Cruz (Stephan James) is one of these soldiers, eager to begin the next phase of his life. Overseeing Heidi and the facility is Colin Belfast (Bobby Cannavale), an ambitious company man whose manic demands point to questionable motives.

Four years later, Heidi has started a new life, living with her mother (Sissy Spacek) and working as a small-town waitress, when a Department of Defense auditor (Shea Whigham) comes to her with questions about why she left the Homecoming facility. Heidi begins to realize that there’s a whole other story behind the story she’s been telling herself.
Jeremy Allen White, Alex Karpovsky, Dermot Mulroney, Hong Chau, and Sydney Poitier co-star in the series, with Marianne Jean-Baptiste, Brooke Bloom, Ayden Mayeri and Jacob Pitts recurring. Homecoming was created by Eli Horowitz and Micah Bloomberg and based on the popular fictional podcast. IT will premiere on Amazon Prime Video in the fall.

https://deadline.com/2018/06/homecom...on-1202419766/
Zookster likes this.

Last edited by WilliamR; 10-05-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 10-05-2018, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Not sure, but I tried removing the text formatting, hopefully that fixed it. Sorry about that guys, my bad.

post #3 of 44 Old 10-31-2018, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

‘Homecoming’: A Movie Star Comes Down to Earth For Gripping Thriller
By Alan Sepinwall, Rolling Stone - Oct. 30, 2018

Homecoming is a hypnotic blend of old-school and new. It’s fronted by Julia Roberts, one of the last of the capital-M Movie Stars hailing from an era when the idea of doing a TV series would be unthinkable. It’s directed by Mr. Robot creator Sam Esmail, who makes half of each episode look like a loving pastiche of Hitchcock and paranoid Seventies thrillers, while the other half looks like it was shot on an iPhone. Its story is adapted from a Gimlet Media podcast, and it remains taut as part of the welcome new trend of half-hour dramas. (It debuts Friday; I’ve seen all 10 episodes; ★★★★ out of five) Parts of it take place a few years from now, yet it’s startlingly low-tech. (Its chief sleuth, a clumsy Columbo-type civil servant played winningly by Shea Whigham, relies on paper files, a flashlight and a pair of collapsible reading glasses.) It is the future and the past all at once and a pleasure to watch throughout.

Roberts plays Heidi Bergman, who in the present is the put-together and friendly director of the Homecoming program, designed to treat veterans with PTSD. Some four years later, she is a rumpled waitress who doesn’t recall a lot about her old job. How did she get from one spot to the other? How much does she really remember? Did Heidi’s slick corporate boss, Colin (Bobby Cannavale with his full powers of smugness unleashed), do something to her? And what happened to her favorite patient, the charming Walter Cruz (the appealing and vulnerable Stephan James)? These mysteries and more unfold carefully and engagingly under the watch of Esmail and writers Micah Bloomberg and Eli Horowitz. Questions are answered just when they should be — not dragged along, as often happens in streaming dramas — and in ways that illuminate the characters rather than undercut them.

Esmail gets Roberts to dial back her star wattage, though he deploys her famous smile strategically and potently. This is Julia Roberts, actress, first and foremost, and she gives a specific and modulated performance — two of them, really, since waitress Heidi seems so disconnected from therapist Heidi. (Even when My Best Friend’s Wedding’s Dermot Mulroney turns up as Heidi’s loser boyfriend, it feels like a relationship, not a reunion.) Roberts and James have abundant chemistry, which is crucial for a thriller built so much on two people just talking. The plot is intentionally slow to start, so the early episodes lean heavily on atmosphere and on how likable Heidi and Walter are together. Roberts and James more than deliver the latter, while Esmail is all over the former.

Esmail mostly sets aside the off-kilter framing of Mr. Robot for elegant and classical Hollywood compositions in the scenes at the Homecoming facility. Expect lots of complicated single takes and a soundtrack that samples a variety of vintage suspense movie scores. The future timeline is presented as a vertical video, with black bars on the right and left of the screen. This can be a periodic distraction, but the payoff that answers why those scenes look that way proves more than worth it.

The line between mediums has become blurred, but there are still ways that performances can be right for one and too big or small for another. Roberts meets Homecoming on the human level, right where it needs her to be. Even for the small screen, she’s a perfect fit.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-r...oberts-748493/
Zookster likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 Old 10-31-2018, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1897 Post(s)
Liked: 1952
I like the idea of a half-hour drama. Easier to sneak in an episode when I have <40 minutes to kill before going to bed or during mealtimes -- unlike the Romanaff mini-movies. Should be interesting.
archiguy likes this.
post #5 of 44 Old 11-02-2018, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 692
2 episodes in.

Not loving it so far. It’s an odd show with long periods of portrait (tall, thin) formatted scenes in episode 2. Odd, POOR choice IMO. Between this and other oddities, it almost feels like it’s trying too hard to be weird or something. And that boss, what a total d!#$. I’m gonna give it a few more episodes, since they are only 30 minutes. Hopefully it improves. Some big actors and good acting so far, but still ...
post #6 of 44 Old 11-02-2018, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6438 Post(s)
Liked: 7140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
2 episodes in. Not loving it so far. It’s an odd show with long periods of portrait (tall, thin) formatted scenes in episode 2. Odd, POOR choice IMO.
Are you talking about those scenes being shot in the old SD 4x3 format?
post #7 of 44 Old 11-02-2018, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Homecoming on Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Are you talking about those scenes being shot in the old SD 4x3 format?

It's not 4:3, it's portrait. It's taller than it is wide.

Edit: I finally managed to attach a shot. Anyway, at best it’s square, more likely portrait.

Last edited by Don S; 11-02-2018 at 10:32 AM.
post #8 of 44 Old 11-02-2018, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I haven't watched this yet but isn't this supposed to be like video shot from a cell phone?
post #9 of 44 Old 11-02-2018, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
I haven't watched this yet but isn't this supposed to be like video shot from a cell phone?
No, it's part of the show.
post #10 of 44 Old 11-02-2018, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No, it's part of the show.
I guess I was just taking the line from the Rollingstone article above literally:
Quote:
It’s directed by Mr. Robot creator Sam Esmail, who makes half of each episode look like a loving pastiche of Hitchcock and paranoid Seventies thrillers, while the other half looks like it was shot on an iPhone.
But now that I've watched the trailer again, I see it's not really that much like a cell phone portrait aspect ratio.

Last edited by Zookster; 11-02-2018 at 12:35 PM.
post #11 of 44 Old 11-02-2018, 11:59 AM

I must say, I've never seen that "portrait" format used on a TV show or movie before. They could have gone with the "traditional" 4x3 and accomplished the same goal of differentiating the two time periods, I would think. And given you a bit more visual content as well.
Don S likes this.
post #12 of 44 Old 11-03-2018, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 5330 Post(s)
Liked: 4781
through 4 episodes can't say I love the show but it's entertaining mainly due to the excellent cast (Julia Roberts, Shea Whigham, Bobby Cannavale, Sissy Spacek etc)...plus I'm interested in finding out what exactly is going on and what happened in the past timeline...it does feel a bit slow at times but that is somewhat rectified by the 30 minute runtime for each episode...if every episode was an hour things might feel a bit too slow

the HDR is nothing to write home about but it's decent (it uses standard HDR with no Dolby Vision)...as @Don S mentioned earlier the shrinking aspect ratio meant to differentiate the present time period is weird...I've seen this done in other movies to denote an older time period or technology (such as a VHS recording being shown on screen) but the way they do it here feels weird for the sake of being weird...it's also used for extended scenes which makes the visual trick a bit distracting due to how much screen real estate is cut off...I think they could have found a better way to differentitate between past/present

hopefully the show delivers on the payoff to the central mystery...
Don S likes this.
post #13 of 44 Old 11-03-2018, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've now seen the season. It was certainly odd and had great acting. While it was interesting, and I can see others really enjoying it, this just didn't really do it for me much. As a few others mentioned, the 30 minute episodes kept me watching. I didn't dislike it or anything, but I do think some of the reviews on some sites seem way too effusive in their praise. I'd give it about 5 or 6 out of 10.
post #14 of 44 Old 11-04-2018, 07:59 PM

finished watching this earlier tonight...overall it's a well acted show (in particular Bobby Cannavale, Julia Roberts, Shea Whigham and Marianne Jean-Baptiste as Walter's mother) but the overall story felt a bit basic and lacked the twists and turns I like...the best thing about it is the short run times for every episode so it's a quick binge watch...the show was adapted from a podcast and you can see it in the storytelling structure...almost has a Broadway play sort of feel...the sound design is also excellent (simple things like the sound of a phone call heard over earbuds)

the shrinking aspect ratio was explained in an interview where showrunner Sam Ismail states that the vertical rectangle sitting in the middle of the screen with black bars on either side of it, as if they're blocking the full picture from view, are meant to symbolize what Heidi can't remember...the camera’s wider lens takes over when Heidi has cognizant thoughts...as the story of timeline 1 approaches the point where Heidi’s memory is disappearing, timeline 2 reaches the point, four years later, when her memory has once again returned...so, narrow iPhone shots are reversed from earlier in the season and now take place in the past while 16:9 ratio shots are present...it's actually a nice visual touch

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/26/a...v-podcast.html

there's a post-credits scene in the final episode which sets up Season 2 (Amazon gave the show a 2 season commitment from the beginning)...I'll watch S2 but overall I give the show a B-
goke313 likes this.
post #15 of 44 Old 11-05-2018, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
...it's actually a nice visual touch

On this, I’ll agree to disagree. I found the aspect ratio distracting, and mostly annoying.

On the rest I mostly agree. I thought the acting was really good as well. I’d try a season 2 I think. Mostly because it has potential, and it’s less effort with 30 minute episodes.
d3193 likes this.
post #16 of 44 Old 11-05-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
On this, I’ll agree to disagree. I found the aspect ratio distracting, and mostly annoying.

On the rest I mostly agree. I thought the acting was really good as well. I’d try a season 2 I think. Mostly because it has potential, and it’s less effort with 30 minute episodes.
I found the extreme closeups of character faces to be annoying...way too many tight closeup shots...I've seen too much of Julia Roberts face...every wrinkle, pore and blemish magnified
BreakPoint and Don S like this.
post #17 of 44 Old 11-05-2018, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 4631 Post(s)
Liked: 3503
Wait, weird photographic tricks from the guy who also makes Mr. Robot??!! You don't say!

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #18 of 44 Old 11-10-2018, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 272
4 episodes in and I'm enjoying the show - especially the soundtrack which employs some neat tonal layering as well as spatial effects.

post #19 of 44 Old 11-10-2018, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 333
For me the forced perspective makes sense and it's worth the payoff.

post #20 of 44 Old 11-11-2018, 12:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Just found out out Sam Esmail directed all 10 episodes...only wrote one.

So, ultimately worth it?

Josh
post #21 of 44 Old 11-11-2018, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 390
I've heard both seasons of the podcast, and now I've watched all of the episodes. I liked the podcast much better. There were some storylines added to the video that seemed to slow down the story, but I won't describe them here since that would spoil the videos for those who haven't seen them.

David Schwimmer played a much more obnoxious version of Colin Belfast in the podcast than Bobby Cannavale did in the video series! He has been much more interesting when he has played a jerk (Band of Brothers, Homecoming podcast, recent Will & Grace episodes) than the sweet nebbishy guy he played on friends.
lax01 likes this.

Denon x4400h, Samsung LED 1080p TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, Darbeevision, etc.
Headphone system: Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1, Denon DVD-3910
post #22 of 44 Old 11-11-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
Just found out out Sam Esmail directed all 10 episodes...only wrote one.

So, ultimately worth it?
the guys who created the podcast the show is based off of (Eli Horowitz & Micah Bloomberg) wrote 6 out of the 10 episodes...so that's actually a good thing...it's like if the author of a book wrote the majority of the episodes of the TV adaptation...they understand the world, story, characters and subtle nuances better then anyone else
lax01 likes this.
post #23 of 44 Old 11-12-2018, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 4880 Post(s)
Liked: 6606
I watched the first two episodes last night. Interesting so far. Half hour goes by quick! Not going to read the thread past the first little bunch yet, kind of a drawback to these release at once shows. We don't get to dissect it together.
post #24 of 44 Old 11-12-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Not going to read the thread past the first little bunch yet...
now that's the smart way to do it...other people don't have the common sense to do this and get all hot and bothered when people discuss a show they haven't watched yet
post #25 of 44 Old 11-15-2018, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 4880 Post(s)
Liked: 6606
OK, wrapped it last night, I probably liked it better than most here after reading the comments. I was fine with the aspect switch.

Proud of Ms. Roberts to go with the unflattering hair, makeup, and overall look. I think there's a lot of actresses that would not be OK with that. I don't mind "slow" story development.

Lots of David Lynch looking shots, like when Carrasco was sunk down in that overstuffed chair. Canavale does that particular type of jerk to perfection.

Thanks for the above Troy, just seems like common sense. I'll use spoilers anyway.

Little things I thought were good.
Spoiler!

Things I thought weren't so good.
Spoiler!
Zookster likes this.
post #26 of 44 Old 11-15-2018, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 4631 Post(s)
Liked: 3503
A second season could work if they turn this into an anthology with a completely new story and characters.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #27 of 44 Old 11-15-2018, 07:29 PM

'Homecoming': How the Amazon Drama Honors Its Podcast Source Material

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...lained-1157688
post #28 of 44 Old 12-07-2018, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2209 Post(s)
Liked: 3397
Finished this last night and, once it got into the, 'what is going on,' really liked it. I despised the Bobby Cannavale character, which to me meant he did a really good job of pulling off the character.

Keeping only the faces in focus, even for some of the more distant shots, was very unusual. They would do a distant shot of Julia sitting at her deck, and everything around her was out of focus, but her face was clearly in focus. In almost all of the closer shots of the face and shoulders, only the face was in focus. This was with every character. Pull the camera back a little more and it was the same. The chairs they were sitting in, the objects on the desk, etc., etc., were all out of focus, but the faces weren't.

They are doing a S2? If so, I really wish they would leave it alone and not do it.
post #29 of 44 Old 12-07-2018, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
Finished this last night and, once it got into the, 'what is going on,' really liked it. I despised the Bobby Cannavale character, which to me meant he did a really good job of pulling off the character.
Cannavale is so good at playing people you love to hate. Look at his past characters from Boardwalk Empire, Vinyl, etc.
Gov likes this.

Owner: Sony XBR-55A1E, Oppo BDP-103, Kenwood VR5900, Meadowlark Audio Heron-i
post #30 of 44 Old 12-07-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_bernstein View Post
Cannavale is so good at playing people you love to hate. Look at his past characters from Boardwalk Empire, Vinyl, etc.
He was typically terrific in 'Mr. Robot' as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page